Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cross-posting from the Mount & Blade: Napoleonic Wars thread; this is incredible:

Endman posted:

I found some nerds more irredeemably committed to 19th century bloodbaths than we are!

https://tabletopdeutschland.wordpress.com/2015/06/03/waterloo-in-celle-das-diorama/

https://tabletopdeutschland.wordpress.com/2015/05/17/waterloo-in-celle-der-aufbau-eines-dioramas/

The articles are in German, but the pictures are the important parts:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Has anyone ITT played Lion Rampant?

I'm looking for a relatively easy to learn tabletop skirmish game (preferably medieval/renaissance) to play with my partner with a low buy-in (relatively small numbers of dudes on the field). So far it's the best I could find, especially since the rulebook itself is cheap as chips.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Serotonin posted:

Saga is great fun and good value to get into. It's also the perfect gateway drug for players used to non historical gaming.

Protip: Saga is super cheap to get into if you buy the Gripping Beast plastic boxes for your Viking Age retinue or Fireforge plastic boxes for your Christian Crusaders or Milites Christi for Crescent & Cross. I think Gripping Beast also do boxes of plastic Saracens too.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Here's an example of a quick 500pt game. Historical accuracy fans avert your eyes

I'm way more interested in Bolt Action now that I know you can field cavalry. :black101:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Guys, the squares give you a hint of scale.

I think you might be on the road to disappointment if you're expecting goons to count m8.

Endman
May 18, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

Can't be worse than the kid from my previous LGS painting his PIVs to look like they were doused in blood from "running over the Russian hordes on the Eastern Front."

With that much blood it's more likely to be the results of the maintenance team pricking their fingers repairing the tracks :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Bright red Russian tanks make it look like you're playing Red Alert.

And that's awesome.

Endman
May 18, 2010

spectralent posted:

I've heard people say they refuse to play people who paint their tanks wrong but personally I've always thought goofy paint schemes could be fun. Bare plastic is ugly as gently caress and I'm not going to turn someone down for that.

Paint schemes are a really dumb reason to turn people down. You're playing with little plastic men on a table; there's no immersion to lose.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I'm going to pick up a box of Perry Desert Rats in a few days. Once I'm back in my home country I'll have to give the Oath thread a go, I think.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I just pulled the trigger on a box of Perry plastic Desert Rats, some extra slouch hats and a Vickers Mk IVb tank. 1940/41 Australians here I come. :toot:

Early War Best War

Endman
May 18, 2010

lilljonas posted:

True, but the idea is to have one of the industrial railyards as the centrepiece of the campaing. We like using each campaign as a poor excuse to build terrain we don't have, and paint up more miniatures and tanks (like the Bergsaglieri and Gebirgsjägers that actually took the city).

Man I wish I was a part of your gaming group. I love that approach.

Endman
May 18, 2010

krushgroove posted:

(I have no idea if the Brits ever fought Italians in WW2)

The British & Commonwealth probably fought the Italians more than anybody else in the Mediterranean and North African theatres.

Endman
May 18, 2010

lilljonas posted:

I'll see if I can convince the missus.

Yes, all our houses are scratch built, the only premade terrain on that board are a few old stone walls. The old terrain is 100% balsa, while I prefer to build with foamboard for walls. So the dozen or so residential houses that we're adding for the campaign to make it more urban will have a lot of foamboard, so a lot less exposed wood.

A big reason for going with scratch built houses is to be able to use ww2 pictures to recreate actual buildings and styles. Even less known areas, such as Donetsk in our case, can give you tons of photos and ideas for houses. There's still very little variety in 28mm eastern european buildings out there. Funnily enough, I was "recruited" to the club because I'm known to like to scratch-build houses. At my old club it was more your typical tournament-based generic hills and bunkers and such.

Your club sounds really drat great. Most of the people who play tabletop games down here are interested in competitive metas and not really as invested in the spirit of the time period, which is really unfortunate.

I'll have to beat some historical passion into them with a mallet.

Endman
May 18, 2010

If you're going to give WWII Soviet tanks a limitation, why not the fact that most didn't have radios? The fire rate really shouldn't be any slower than other nations.

If you're going to argue crew inexperience, look at the terrible US replacement system. Most Sherman drivers in the Battle of the Bulge had no idea what they were doing, especially in the snow.

Endman
May 18, 2010

lilljonas posted:

Work is progressing on our Stalino board:

Today we'll try to paint the train station!

With flowers that cheerful, I'm certain this building could never be subjected to the horrors of war!

Endman
May 18, 2010

Is that actually a contemporary photo? You don't see many colour pictures taken by the Germans, especially in the early part.

Endman
May 18, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

I think that's part of the argument. The IS-2 has a irl rof faster than a jagdtiger, and was actually a good tank, but BF decided to go the direction it did because

I'm really glad I don't play FoW after this discussion.

Endman
May 18, 2010

German heavy armour should have to roll for engine/tread failure every time they move. :colbert:

Endman
May 18, 2010

I've got a bunch of Footsore Late Romans and Romano-Britons waiting to be painted. Would they suit any of the SAGA warbands?

Endman
May 18, 2010

I finally got around to starting on my Late Romans from Footsore Miniatures. These guys are great, and I had a fun time painting this little trumpeter:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

This guy is great! I love how the expression unambiguously indicates that he's so tired of your poo poo.

Thanks! All of the Footsore minis have great personality to them. I used to always choose plastic over metal, but I think they've sold me on the lead poisoning.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I'm not sure if this was posted, but for Dark Age geeks out there, a former Gripping Beast designer started his own line:

http://saxonminiatures.com/

Those are gorgeous. I've got such a fetish for Late Roman/Dark Age stuff right now.

Endman
May 18, 2010

The Churchill is fantastic as infantry support against an entrenched enemy, but it's not a tank fighter. Think of it as a further evolution of the First World War approach to armour.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

Funnily enough, if it was against Panthers my money would be on the Churchill for simple visibility benefits. See the milhist thread for why or wait until EE posts here again.

Against Panthers my money is always on the weather, mechanical failure, or, failing those, lack of fuel. :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Commissar Canuck posted:

Crossposting from the terrain thread:

Warlord Games is having a diorama contest with the theme of "hostile, harsh terrain," so I decided to go for a French Resistance ambush on a German patrol.

I hope I was able to capture the tension I was striving for when I was brainstorming this one :ohdear:

I love it! The little resistance guy with the Sten really looks like he's huddling down because of the cold. And the posters are a really nice touch.

Endman
May 18, 2010

On an unrelated note, dragon banners are rad as hell:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Serotonin posted:

Real nice. Gripping Beast? Using it for Saga?

Footsore Miniatures (previously known as Musketeer). I'll probably use him for both Saga and Dragon Rampant.

Not that I'll be playing much of either where I live. :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

spectralent posted:

Every time I read that it makes me want to play CoC more than the, like, once that I actually got to :(

I know how you feel. Nobody plays the good wargames where I live either it's all Warhams and Warmahordes.

Just gotta keep painting wicked historical minis until I can convert someone. :hist101:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Once again it appears I am totally incapable of painting anyone who looks pleased to be there.

"Join the army, they said. Get free land, they said. Now I live in Britannia Inferior and there are Picts eating all my sheep." :saddowns:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Man, early war French tanks are just gorgeous. Those smooth curves, those low treads, that.... tiny... ineffective... gun... :eng99:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Time for another Footsore Roman:

This guy is a little more Byzantine than the previous ones. He'll probably be in charge of my Palatini.

I had a lot of fun painting this guy; his pose and facial expression are great.

Endman
May 18, 2010

lilljonas posted:

About a month ago, someone posted on the CoC facebook group a link to a cheap 1:48 diecast tank. It sounded too good to be true, so I thought I'd buy one myself just to find out if it was just a mediocre toy or not. It helped that didn't have any Marders at our club, so I bought two versions of the Marder III. What's the worst that could happen?

Last week they arrived, and I took the first one for a spin. Overall it is really nice, far better than I expected. Here is the first Marder, with just some black wash (mostly for the rivets), a quick drybrush job on the threads (which were mostly unpainted brown rubber) and some rust pigments. Not a bad addition to our German forces for 6 bucks and 20 minutes of elbow grease!

I wonder if some of the Perry German tank crew might fit in there to give it some more life. Still - a great find.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Just a heads up, the Lardies are going to release v2 of Sharp Practice in late April. It looks like a pretty significant streamline with some CoC concepts added in. Here's a bat rep with a quick intro to the new system. I'm very interested in this.

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/?p=5479

Great, now I've got the British Grenadier stuck in my head and all this red paint on my hands.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That's awesome! I can finally use those 28mm Footsore Romano-Brits for their intended purpose :toot:

Endman
May 18, 2010

JcDent posted:

Wait, so it's OK with Romano-Brits? I should start thinking of ordering some, then.

I assume the "British" will be representative of the Sub-Roman period, so a mix of Romanised Britons and Celts.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Those Saxon minis are great! I wonder if they'd mix okay with my Footsore guys

Endman
May 18, 2010

I love the individual characterisation you can achieve in 28mm, so I doubt I'd ever go smaller, but Napoleonics look amazing in 6mm.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I've never played a TFL game, but I'm really tempted by Chain of Command, there's just nobody down here who plays it and all my wargamey friends are Warhammer or Warmachine people and refuse to even touch historicals because apparently history is boring?

Endman
May 18, 2010

lilljonas posted:

How can you think that cool WW2 machinery isn't awesome???

I know, right? Those are totally rad!

Seriously, great work. Reminds me that I need to work on my British Light Tank. I've had it sitting on a shelf for about six months now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

Serotonin posted:

Pre orders for Sharp Practice 2 are out

http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6

Decent value too.

They are also releasing videos about how to play.

https://youtu.be/fwH6-2K9voc

https://youtu.be/S-fl0ddqud4

:toot:

I'm browsing the Perrys' American War of Independence range right now.

Any other recommendations for 28mm figures for the same period?