Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Peter Pig also does PBI (poor bloody infantry) which is gridded platoon scale WWII

TtS! also has a fantasy hack called M2: Magic & Monsters that's pretty good.

If you want to stretch the genre there's also Fire at Sea which is naval WWII.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
C&C is good. I got the AWI version Tricorne during the holidays and I liked it so much I'm in the middle of a project doing miniatures to replace the blocks. Fighting the grog urge to go all in on full hex terrain too.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Cthulu Carl posted:

Anyone have a good source for 15mm medieval figures in the US? I have a 3D printer so I have some Dark Age and medieval stuff for it already, but I'd like to check out tiny pewter dudes too for things like Lion Rampant.

As always Henry Turner has you covered for 3d printing, but his stuff can look a little wonky scaled up to 15mm without any tweaks.
https://www.myminifactory.com/users/henryturner/collection/6-15mm-medieval

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

aside from ebay and maybe getting lucky with local stuff on fb marketplace and kijiji, wheres a good place to find whole painted armies listed for sale? ive got it in my head that i want to just skip the beginning painting/basing stage of something new and just buy someones cast offs, after springfield fatts i think listed his stuff for sale (but i didn't get :()

Sorry dude, as we found out more often than not shipping is one of the biggest costs when it comes to the used mini market. I've also had success going on FLGS' discord channel and looking through the for sale stuff in there. Yeah it's mostly 40k or CCGs but once in a while you see some historicals. Also worth looking into if you have any gaming clubs in or around your area, but I should warn you that for every guy like me who's just trying to unload the stuff at a fair price to make room for more toys there's a dozen aging Boomers pricing poorly painted 40 year old models into the stratosphere with real "I know what I got" energy.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Virtual Russian posted:

A lot of cool Blucher stuff

This got drowned in the Nazi talk but this is why I love playing historicals. Blucher kicks rear end, your game sounded like it rocked, and it was really fun to read.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone played Triumph? Is it just DBA with a point system?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I found it very dry and the token clutter annoying, but I know I'm in the minority on that opinion.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

spectralent posted:

I'm back on my 3D printing bullshit and looking at a bunch of 15mm sengoku models i got in a kickstarter years ago. Is there anything decent for mass-battle japan stuff? Ideally something built for it that has some flavour - nothing against pike and shot but it's pretty generic.

What sculptor? I was looking for something different for my next project.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I really like TotalElement.com for best price, but their stock is in imperial sizes so that's something to look out for.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Annoyingly they're keeping the templates which was something I hated from second edition.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

tomdidiot posted:

Just got them and am extremely impressed

Anyone got any tips for removing old magnets from plastic models? :p

Freeze the model for an hour or two. Makes the super glue bond brittle and you can snap it off.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah how is that from a game point of view? I hear the contract system and multi table aspect discussed a lot but no one says if the game itself is very engaging or fun.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Cthulu Carl posted:

Has anyone tried Nordic Weasel's History Dad?

I have not, but I'm interested. I got his chill version of Flames of War called Hammer of Democracy and liked it a lot. I'll probably pick this up when it's on sale at some point.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Before it became a bloated mess the X-Wing tabletop game was based on Wings of War, which is pretty good. It might be out of print though so finding a copy could be hard.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I asked those Frenchmen if this one would finally get a PDF release and all I got was a "no"

Le owned

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Holy poo poo, they did not advertise it well as I love that guy's stuff and didn't know about it. I'm in for both forces!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
There's some streamlining but yeah essentially. Nice models but I didn't like the footprint of the units and these seem harder split vs guys holding rifles.