Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Commissar Kip posted:

Where the hell do I get these?

I think these were GHQ, but there are a couple of different manufacturers. This guy has a nice list talking about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Order placed with Heroic & Ross to build a Soviet BMP regiment. 30 BMP's and a shitload of tiny dudes here I come!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

How many packs of mans did you order? There's about 50 dudes per pack, distributed across repeated strips. I'll take pictures of my leftover ones tomorrow if I get a chance and you can see what to expect.

I got my infantry from GHQ, a pack of regular and a pack of heavy weapons so I should have plenty to make what I need. I'd still be interested in seeing yours though because there were so few actual product shots on H&R that most of my stuff was bought on blind faith.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
^^^ drat those are some good looking 15mm dudes. I'll totally have to borrow the bottlecap idea for JOPs.

Dandywalken posted:

Fistful of TOWs looks like a sweet system in 6mm. Anyone have experience?

The whole activation thing in Cold War Commander puts me off from it. And the scale and range of Team Yankee ends up looking weird to me, despite the sweet models.

I'm working on some forces for this right now. The book is intimidating at first glance, but of the 450+ pages of it only like 40 are the nuts and bolts of the game. The rest is army lists and poo poo like nuclear strikes and chemical weapons that are neat additions to have but will probably never see use in a game. The rules themselves are deceptively easy to get to grips with, and the artillery system especially is refreshing in it's effectiveness and ease of use.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

On the other hand, army building and 1:1 conversion can jump in the sea.

Who wants to make a battlescribe file for FFoT? :stonk:

Yeah I gave up on 1:1, but at 6mm it seemed pointless unless you want to get really spergy about scale but gently caress that noise. Army building is pretty painless once you absorb the abstractions of force quality, and the "stand inventory" at the end of each unit entry really helped. I guessed using the percentages he listed when drafting my '84 BMP regiment, but because Soviets are Soviets it still ended up being like 7300 points worth of stuff.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

JcDent posted:

Yeah, I love 1:1 but the system looks hard even without the added layer of conversion. Could be :biotruths: thing about being more on the social sciences side than STEM.

Maybe I'll try that one day and someone can shout at me for being wrong.

Or you I can do what tiny tanks did. If a stand is a tank platoon, then a stand will have enough tanks for a platoon!

Thought FFoT has a bit of an Asiatic Hordes going for it, with NATO companies vs. PACT regiments IIRC.

I think you and I talked about this a little while ago as to 1:1, and on top of it massively multiplying the number of actual stands (if not models) I would need to have cluttering the table it also seemed like a pain in the rear end to actually break out each Infantry Platoon stand into individual elements like "Ok, this stand is AKs, this stand has the RPG-7, this stand has the AT-7" as opposed to just using the one-line unit profiles the game provides. You can of course if you want that granularity, but that sort of defeats the whole point of FFoT which is speed it up and spend more time actually playing, which is the exact reason I like that system.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I feel like we've beat it into the ground the last few pages but Fistful of Tows 3 has WWII army lists. No random movement or activation, and there's a free quick play of the rules on the website to try them which is always a bonus.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Just give up. I'm working on a Soviet regiment and it's still 18 STANDS of infantry. Fuuuuck doing those 1:1.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Phone posting' apologies if these are all screwed up:

At least they pack up easy!
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/jQSRvGA

Soviet armor WIP
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/ut5iM8l

British armor WIP
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/c3xsEa8

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 22, 2017

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Scorpion 90mm

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Hell yeah post the results

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
If you don't mind paying http://www.paperterrain.com/ does nice work. Comes preprinted on cardstock with nice LOS blockers like walls, hedges, etc in addition to the buildings. You can also "double" your amount of terrain in a pinch because each building comes with a ruined interior. Just use both the intact shell and the ruins for more coverage.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

FoW 3rd edition was solidly alright, and the books might be going cheap now :v:

Great segue, you can have a 3rd edition rulebook for literally nothing see below!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818054#post471634082

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

Oh dang. Where is across the world exactly? As I am already thereabouts but would totally be interested in books.

Vietnam. SE Asia mail is supposed to be spotty at best, thus I'm wanting to get rid of them now as opposed to later.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I just wrapped up a bunch of 6mm and yes, GHQ is worth the money. I got some Heroic & Ros as well and not only did it take forever to get to me, the difference in quality of the sculpts were plain to see. I mean at that scale from a foot away it's negligable but when you're paiting them up you'll marvel at the detail GHQ packs in there, especially the infantry. My only complaint with them isn't the price, it's that they don't break packages. So I hope you really need 5 M109s!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
The Pendraken BKC3 fiasco makes me ask how does Cold War Commander / Future War Commander hold up? I'm looking for a company scale game that's less abstract because where I'm at the people I will be playing with are new to wargaming and I don't want to overwhelm them with unit cards and artillery tables. For reference, Dirtside II was too much chit chasing for these dudes.

Edit: VVVV Baccus Crusades range probably has what you're looking for.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 28, 2017

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
As someone who JUST printed the PDF versions of all the dark age material I'm slightly pissed, but who knows when in 2018 that poo poo will start rolling out. Speaking of unknowns, anybody have a clue with what's going on with BCK3? I know Pendraken decided to pull and reissue but has there been any info given since then?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Could someone "sell" me on Napoleonics? It's seen as grog final form, and everyone in this thread does beautiful jobs with the models but it's never really spoken to me. Admittedly I've never tried a game in the period, but it comes across as "line up and volley till someone breaks."

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks these are actually the exact takes I was looking for, and yeah I'm sure everyone has their own "this is boring as hell" threshold when it comes to periods. Black Powder is modified Hail Caesar, right? I'm trying to get my group going on HC so maybe a toe into BP would be easier after that.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Oh absolutely. Even our Hail Caesar experiments are going to be done by reforming our 6mm Saga bases. Anything tried in Napoleonics would be 6mm as well. Props to you larger scale guys but I don't have the space or time for anything larger.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah for infantry two 6mm strips = one model. Blatantly stole the idea from this guy.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
That pirate table is dope. Love the shark fins.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Battlegroup really spoke to me. It's a sweet spot between the world warhammer40k of FoW/BA and the well here's an excellent rules structure but you and your gaming group will have to finish the last like 15% of the details because ~reasons~ of CoC. I didn't know about NORTHAG until looking over this thread but now I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully it'll be out by the time I'm Stateside again.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I rolled my eyes at that too, but they also have to be 2-man crews even in LMG form meaning it's easier to drop them to 1/2 strength with one kill. I think they're also costlier to take.

It's stupid, but at least the loving panzers don't all get snowflake MG's as well.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Skytrex has been cranking out some good looking moderns lately, if you don't mind going back to resin and metal.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
NORTHAG will be dope. In that interview Warwick said it'll keep the bones of Battlegroup which is already a really solid, fun ruleset. Speaking of which, does anyone have a link to which forces are covered in what books? That's been the most confusing part of trying to decide which supplements are useful for my gaming group.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I want to give 1/72 a shot, anyone have experience with the infantry sets at this scale? Do you need to actually glaze them with PVA before painting or can you just prime as normal after a quick scrub?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Moderns, a company called Caesar makes some nice looking US forces so I would assume barrel bending could be an issue.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Wait did TFL ever even release Fighting Season?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
So I guess the Saga 2.0 stuff has started rolling out? At least it's up for sale on the GB website. Anyone seen it in person?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Moooooooooooon posted:

What are people's thoughts on AT guns?

Been a while since I played Bolt Action, but I used it more for area denial than actual AT work as my opponent tended to try and outmaneuver it than directly face it. Keep in mind this was v1 when moving an AT gun, even pivoting on point, meant you couldn't fire it in the same turn so they are probably more versatile now. We also house ruled that they could be deployed as hidden if put in terrain that completely concealed them to make them more realistic and a viable option.

Finally finished my 6mm Saga project, which took way longer than I thought because sourcing modeling poo poo in SE Asia was not as easy as I had thought it would be. I also knocked together some cheap foamcore movement trays so they could pull double duty in something like Hail Caesar.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I wonder when PSC are going to release Cold War plastic US infantry and completely eat BF's lunch, because the Soviet infantry look leagues better.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Remember when 2nd edition of Bolt Action came out and they smugly put "STILL in first edition!" on the CoC website and everyone reacted with this

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, it really could use a second edition with a good editor.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
If you're like me and really like Battlegroup's rules and want to use the Cold War toys you have and are tired of waiting for NORTHAG this guy has done a pretty thorough homebrew of the rulesystem.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
6mm chatte

My stuff is boxed up so I can't do a direct side-by-side but here's some shots:

H&R T-72s, BMPs and 2S1. GHQ Soviet infantry.

A shitload of British armor before I finished the bases, all GHQ.

Heroic & Ros will look a little weedy next to them because they are 1/300 vs GHQ's 1/285, the T-72s look much smaller than my not-pictured Chieftains. Overall I echo what other people have said: GHQ will cost you but the quality is worth it (to me). The GHQ stuff needed no flash clean up, no gap filling, no miscast parts, no damage from shipment, nothing missing, and the details were sharp and excellent for the scale. GHQ make the best infantry out there, especially the support weapon teams.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

Are those the H&R T-80 that was actually a T-72M? If so, I know what my next companies will be...

Something like that. By the time I got them I had already photoshopped & printed the labels and was like eh gently caress it.

vvvvvv
Nope, all my Soviet armor was H&R.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 12, 2018

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Phi230 posted:

What colors did you use on the first picture? I really like the grey/green base color

Vallejo Khaki, the camo stripes are Yellow Olive.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Think the ranges will scale well? I've only seen WaT played so far on youtube using 28mm tanks, but all my crap is 15mm.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Having said that I do think it's weird that PSC doesn't offer more one-off sprue purchase options at a slight mark up. I ended up getting all my singles from Skytrex even though it was more expensive because I just didn't need five of the tanks they sold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Cassa posted:

I was curious if people had any other good suggestions for 28mm semi-modern special forces miniatures. I was looking at Eureka Miniatures as I'm based in Aus too, but I like pictures of things when I'm spending my money.

Hasslefree Minis has a pretty good line, including some more characterful choices and they also sell just bodies so mixing it in with Infinity could be easier with a head swap. There's also The Assault Group whose line is pretty extensive. I also see Empress Miniatures mentioned a lot.

NORTHAG chat: I just want to chime in again and say that the playtest rules are completely free and available right now if you're sick of waiting.