Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
I have kind of a dumb Chain of Command question and I can't find the answer in the book. In the German list section for both Panzergrenadiers and Fallschirmjagers, the Squad Leader is listed as an Obergefreiter Junior Leader with a machine pistol, and after that sentence is a new sentence saying "Two panzerfausts." Does that mean that each Obergefreiter is carrying two panzerfausts, or does that mean he has two guys with him each carrying a panzerfaust? I had assumed it was the former, but the Rifle Squad leader's entry is written differently. Am I reading too much into an editing mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

spectralent posted:

I think that means they have two panzerfausts to hand out to squads.

lilljonas posted:

This. You don't need to have minis with the panzerfausts to show who carries them, just note down which sections has them so that they don't magically teleport between squads depending on where the enemy tanks are. Page 41, section anti-tank weapons. Technically it's the rifle team within a section that has them, but unless your rifle team is wiped out before they use it it doesn't matter.

Thanks! That makes a lot more sense.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

It has begun. Time to build my Americans/Normandy board for Chain of Command.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Warlord's epic battles catalogue runs 12.5mm and is a pretty good price. I really like the strip models too. Sadly I don't think that basing would work well for SP though.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

A while ago people mentioned 3dBreed's WWII STL files, March to Hell. I looked them up, and they looked nice enough, but I am wondering if anyone has printed them out? They look a little thick/chunky and I am wondering if they look ok printed out? They also seem to appear to have really short legs, which was especially noticeable for the US paratroopers. The knee reinforcement material on the march to hell ones, where the knees would be, seem to overlap behind the bottom of the field blouse, so they look like they have really long blouses or really short legs.

I am just wondering if they look off like that in person, on the odd chance anyone here has printed some of them.

I've printed a lot of them and in general they've turned out really well at 15mm. The only caveats is that the bases they come on and the pre-supports are not very good, I tended to just remove those in my slicer and print them without. Another thing is that a couple of them will have like a mid-stride pose that really hosed with my printer until I gave the back foot a bunch of extra supports.

This is an American Rifle Platoon at 15mm that used the March to Hell STLs, if you want to get a sense of how they look painted/based. I think the chunkiness works kind of the same way as 28mm heroic works, where it just adds a bit more visual interest at small scales.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

We're four weeks in on our first baby and some days I've been able to get tons of paint time while baby and mom nap. Other days not so much. Take the time you can.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

MeinPanzer posted:

That’s Chain of Command I think.

Either Chain of Command or I Ain't Been Shot Mum. Both of them have hidden deployment rules.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Finished my German Panzergrenadier Platoon and continuing my work on 15mm terrain.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Genghis Cohen posted:

Cool! Where are the models from? They look a bit different to the FoW stuff I've seen. Squatter bodies, different arrangement on bases etc. Great painting though, I like your unit-marked bases.

They're March to Hell STLs from 3dbreed.

Arquinsiel posted:

I never thought of orienting my platoons that way on the bases. Might have been easier to organise a company on the table that way. Is that a Warbases radar dish?

The Radar dish is from Sarissa, and I started to do it that way to cut down on machine gun overhang, but I like it this way as it turns out.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Paint 'em with pure white clothes and just claim they washed everything in petrol. Happened often enough TBH.

It's well worth checking out the Warbases stuff so. They're dirt cheap for nice small MDF stuff like that.

They have good stalingrad bombed out buildings, if I ever decide to dive into the eastern front I'll definitely be grabbing a bunch of those.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Well looking good dude.

Thanks!

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Demoed some Chain of Command and I think I got some folks hooked. We'll see!

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

I briefly poked around Milleniumcon on Friday and did some shopping. Managed to snag hard copies of Chain of Command and O Group, as well as some rivers and 15mm mdf stuff from the warlord booth. Definitely gonna make a real game plan for next year, I only heard about this year's from one of the local game shops about a week and a half ago.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

Anyway, would video be preferable to text? I feel that there's alot of information going on in parallel and text makes it hard to convey, but I'm happy to take advice either way. I'm super excited about being able to experiment with different rules and scenarios as a result of a narrative campaign - DBA-RRR for large, pitched battles, OHW for smaller engagements and Pikemen's Lament for skirmishes.

I think text comes across great, especially in the date by date format. If you wanted to do the battle with miniatures you could do video, but pictures work well too. It's up to you and your tech capabilities, I think. And you're doing fantastic with this, making me think about my own historical projects.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

When someone says something is a 'Battalion level' game, does that mean that the smallest atomic unit in that game is a battalion, or that each side has a battalion?

Typically it means that each side has (roughly) a battalion. O Group's smallest atomic unit in the game is a Platoon but overall you've got a Battalion+extras.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

This might be kind of a dumb question, but in O Group why do some battalions have mortars listed on their force organization and others don't, when it sounds like every battalion has battalion mortars?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Is it just Soviet units that don't?

The only listed battalions that have mortars on the FO are British and Canadian (in the Normandy supplement) battalions. I haven't checked the Eastern Front one. They aren't listed on the American, German, or Soviet battalions. The book also makes it clear that everyone has Battalion mortars.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

I vaguely remember there being some bullshit in some games about the Soviets doing everything "one step up" and that always applying to everything regardless of what step you were playing at to deny Soviet players fun toys.

Since this isn't that, it's TFL being TFL and bad at editing I guess?

That was my guess, that there was a previous version where some regiments had battalion mortars and others didn't have battalion mortars and they just never re-did the graphics. Wanted to see if someone had seen something I missed.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Gonna tweak the camo a bit but here's a section of Fallschirmjagers in 15mm.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Ataxerxes posted:

Could you folks recommend a Napoleonic wargame for 10mm or 15mm miniatures? The last one I have played was General de Brigade and that was ages ago. It should have rules for Swedes.

Edit: and not be a skirmish game.

I did a test game of Soldiers of Napoleon and had fun with it, though I think it's gonna take me a few more runs to wrap my head around the range system and movement.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

The parliamentarians rise! I decided to differentiate each of the English Civil War armies by choosing a discrete colour palette. The Royalists are all in yellow, red, burgundy, etc. and the Parliamentarians are all in shades of blue, white and black.

For giggles, I also used a purple hued contrast paid for their skin rather than the ruddy orange for the Royalists.

I like it. I have some cowboys to finish up for What a Cowboy, but after that I'm planning to decide on a time period and do a test unit of the Warlord Epic Pike and Shotte minis.

First Gang of Outlaws, next up I'm gonna work on some lawmen, and then maybe some particularly violent ranchhands.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

spectralent posted:

How is What A Cowboy?

I'm gonna try to play it this coming weekend, I'll do a report after that.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

I had the chance to run three demos of What a Cowboy at my old LGS last week.

The backstory for the game is that the Red Springs Gang successfully robbed the local Territorial Bank and Trust, and buried the loot to let the heat die down before they try to spend it. In the weeks since, there's been some differences in opinion, and now the gang has split in two, with both groups trying to dig up the loot and run for it before the others can grab it for themselves.

Overall I found the system to be very straightforward to learn and teach. The dice pools were very straightforward to understand and figure out what you can and can't do, and people grasped them very easily. Shooting is very swingy, but in a fun way. In my third game my final outlaw had grabbed the treasure and was running like hell for the board edge, while my opponent dumped every bullet he had into trying to shoot him down off of his last action dice. A crucial round of missed shooting led to his successful escape with the treasure, despite the rest of his boys being gunned down.

The only thing I want more practice on getting my head around is when to use Bonanza tokens, remembering/keeping track of the Desperado Cards, and the melee combat rules. The rules were a hit with my old group, though, and they're already looking into digging up cowboy STLs or finding old Reaper Bones cowboy models.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Endman posted:

I also imagine manual loading would also be safer for your hands; autoloaders give me nightmares

One of the cold war Soviet tanks had the autoloader perilously close to the gunner's crotch.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Mortar battery diorama/artillery mission counter made with Victrix's 12mm late war Germans.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Ilor posted:

For those of you not on the TFL forums or Goonhammer, I posted the next turn of our play-through of the Totensonntag PSC for Chain of Command:
https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-playing-a-chain-of-command-campaign-part-6-attack-on-brigade-hq/

Glad to see it return! I'm enjoying the narrative writing a lot.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Continuing with my Victrix 12mm/O Group project.

https://imgur.com/a/Ng0mHeG

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

I've only ever done my ww2 15mm by assembly line, but it takes about 2 hours and change to paint about 15 models so that averages to about 10 minutes per model. That's ww2 though, where you can spray your models brown or green and half the work is already done.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

could you post what the 15 minutes minis look like up close and at gaming distance, i'd be very interested in seeing them

So these ones are actually 12mm but a lot of the principles are the same:

I had to use the light box since I don't have an actual table set up in my house at the moment, but I hope it illustrates what you're looking for. I do these guys in batches of about 15-20 and it takes a few hours including drying times.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

My Historicals resolution is to do a lot more demos of Chain of Command at the new game shop near my house, and use that to build a historicals group. Here's a few pictures from a demo I did last week:

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Count Thrashula posted:

Gorgeous table, what are the roads? They blend in perfectly.

Roads and Mat are from Geek Villain, though last I had seen they had printer issues and much of their stock was unable to be replenished. I haven't checked in a while though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Count Thrashula posted:

Just ordered the starter pack of Victrix 12mm WW2 models because it's 192 minis for $50.

Now I just have to figure out what rules I want to play! I'm maybe leaning O-Group since I think battalion scale would be most interesting to me, and open me up for better combined arms stuff once I build out my collection more. Thoughts on O-Group? Is there a similar ruleset that does it better?

Only thing is it's weird for Victrix to include M4A3s since I don't think the Brits got any leased to them? Nitpick though, since I can just run it as an M4A4 at such a small scale.

I enjoyed O Group a lot the time I was able to demo it. It definitely has the feel of trying to manage multiple flashpoints across the map.