Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Is it kosher to ask about Vassal in here? I'd like to try FoW with goons since I really don't have the space, money, or real life grog friends to give it a go IRL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

So a week ago I asked about Vassal. Is that verboten or does no one know anything about it?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yeah, after I posted that I searched a bit and found not one but two sites where people were making FoW modules. Unfortunately, they're both dormant. I guess i could try with rectangles with 'SHERMAN' and 'TIGER' labelled on them. :v: Thanks anyway.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

They should do the 4th Tank army, which operated captured German tanks. :v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Alright, so I'm looking into starting a Flames of War army. Someone tell me why making a Late War SS Schwere Panzerkompanie because it's a legal army with 4 models is a bad idea :v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yeah the Tunisian Tigers list looked tempting because I could run the Tigers as Mid or Late War, plus I like PzIIIs and PzIVGs especially (the G is for Gangster). In seriousness, my options are that or some variety of UK list. Are there any particularly good force books for the Brits from the standpoint of a beginner?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'm looking at building a British D-Day Armoured Company myself so I'd love to see your stuff.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Given the hilarious clusterfuck that was German logistics I'd say you were being true to history.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

They are, but if you can't get Challengers to keep up you can't really use it.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

Take the tank that gives you the number of platoons required to make a Company Morale Check harder to force. Or the one that looks coolest.

He should take the fast tanks so he can put his men on them and run them to the objective. I'm sure some of them will be fine.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

IIRC Desert Rats get a special rule where if they don't fail any saves they get to re-roll all motivation checks. Basically don't get shot. :v: Also I'm looking to sell the Germans in my Open Fire set, would anyone here be interested?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Given the smorgasborg of random SS units that probably means we'll have stats for all 39 SS divisions and the danish reservists before they touch the pacific.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Are Luftwaffe Panzercompanies a thing? I wonder what the discount on Reluctant Trained Panzer IVHs would be.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The Germans removed their Schurtzen for the fighting in Normandy since they kept getting caught in the shrubbery :eng101:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

In a fit of madness I've decided to made an Udarny Strelkovy list from the new Red Bear. My problem at the moment is I'm finding it hard to pick a decent support for the two big companies. I've got scouts, a Tank Destruction Company and a battery of Katyushas planned but I don't know if I should get some IS-2s/ISUs, a bunch of T-34/76s, or just go full tankless and get an Engineer-Sapper Company for killing armour in the most :ussr: way possible (assaulting it).

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'd get a platoon of infantry just to tag along and assault bazookas/shreks; German platoons are small enough that a single one won't be too onerous to paint. Also if you're looking at using more than one KT I'd recommend at the Panzer Ausbildungs list from Desperate Measures; you lose a bunch of special rules and get Confident Trained, but it means you can afford more than one big cat without unbalancing your force like woah.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Weissritter posted:

Thanks for the responses above!

Looking at the army lists online (the panzer list from Desperate Measures), it seems the point drop for german tanks going from CV to CT is quite drastic - though, is the drop in veterancy worth the additional tanks?

Depending on the list this can be because you lose a lot of special rules (like Stormtrooper) and all the tanks are Unreliable. Worth it to field 6 King Tigers though :v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

There's a scale modelling thread in DIY & Hobbies: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869 Not saying you can't ask here, but you might have more luck there. Also hit up the minis painting thread here in TG.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Either Green Stuff or watered PVA and tissue paper. There's a guide on Battlefront's site. Unrelated: how comically bad are Churchill lists? I'm looking at the Churchills in Italy and Overlord Churchill lists.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I've planned a trained panzerkampfgruppe with HQ Panthers, a platoon of Panthers and one of StugIIIs, a platoon of Tiger Ace Hetzers and for support some Luchs, panzergrenadiers and six 105s. 1750 on the nose, if I want a 1500 list I drop the Hetzers. Given that Desperate trained Panthers are still something like 430 for 3 this seems like the only list short of an Ausbildungs company where you can actually field Panthers in quantity without giving up something important (recon, infantry, smoke).

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

You assign them to other platoons within the force. So if you have two Rifle Platoons and two bazooka teams you can assign each platoon a bazooka in addiiton to the one you can buy for them (so each platoon would have two bazookas each).

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

It's in the bit of the rulebook about deployment IIRC.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Get thee to Blood, Guts and Glory.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Depends, is it an Ausbildungs company or a Panzergruppe?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

In that case if he's bringing a bunch of Panthers he's not bringing much else so just counter with high AT and infantry or lots of cheap tanks.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Russian heavy tank lists are a lot less hitler than Germans though because IS-2s are garbage.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The one in front is a 2.8cm schwere Panzerbuchse, a light squeezebore AT gun.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Or go Market Garden British Armoured and get 2 Fireflies in every platoon :buddy:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

If he only has two big battalions he can at least use the CiC and 2iC to give rerolls.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I would have oathed all 21 but I hadn't finished basecoating half of them so there were two colours.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The plastic Panzergrenadiers have been out for a while though? I bought some a few weeks back.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

What period? If it's late (the most common) do you like Shermans, Cromwells or Churchills more?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

In most British armoured squadrons you get 1 Firefly to a platoon. The exceptions are certain Armoured Squadrons from Overlord, which let you take a separate platoon of Fireflies, at the cost of not getting any in your other platoons and having to make do with older equipment otherwise (M3 Stuarts instead of M5s, for example). Basically though, a typical British tank company will look like this:

HQ Tanks

3 tank platoon
3 tank platoon
4 tank platoon

Recce
Artillery
Infantry/Wildcard
AOP

You hug cover and move in with the Shermans while the Fireflies hang back and use Semi-Indirect Fire to blow hard targets to bits (remember, in Flames the individual members of a platoon can hang back and cover the others). Recce lifts Gone To Ground to let your other units shoot better, prevents ambushes, and occasionally dashes for an objective. Artillery pins and smokes, the AOP makes sure you can do that, and the wildcard lets you tailor the list to your specific playstyle.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

That's entirely up to you and the kinds of tables you play on. Take a points level (1500, 1650, 1750 and 1780 are the four most common I've seen) and try to build a list. If you can't fit in everything you like try dropping the veterancy. Conversely if you feel like you have the headroom try upping it. There are some units (artillery) that I would almost always take at the highest veterancy I can get but otherwise it's up to you.

The two most common list builders I've seen are Easy Army and FOW Lists. You have to pay for Easy Army ($2 a book) but it's much more complete.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Also, if you're going British, get the Open Fire box and sell/trade the Germans. That gets you 6 Sherman Vs and 2 Fireflies, which is a solid base to start with.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Yes, but it's not advisable. Leave tank hoarding to the Soviets. :v:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Actually, the Market Garden Guards infantry get the Platoon, Debus! rule, which gives them a 3+ save when riding tanks. This means it's totally viable to have them ride on your Shermans/Cromwells.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Plastic Soldier Company are legit and make great stuff.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

No you should clearly stomp the Allied untermenschen into ze dust :godwinning:

In seriousness, yeah. Always pair newbies with vets, so the newbies don't get stomped endlessly, lose interest, and quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

At platoon level an armoured car is an excellent bit of support. Also if it's German early war, then the Panzer 38(t) or the Panzer III Ausf. F would be good tanks to look for.

Also, have some T-34s I painted for my May oath:

I need to be careful with the varnish on flesh, it darkens it too much. Looks okay from a tabletop view though so chalk it up as a learning experience I guess.

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 1, 2014