Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Peronsally I'm amazed the Ottomans even let you through the Bosphorus

I saw this game on KS and it looked interesting, but I was so unable to afford it sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheBlobThing posted:

Sorry for the lovely, lovely phonepics. When I get some finished results, I'll use my decent camera.

I have the open fire box in my queue how do you even paint details on mans that small let alone that well the gently caress :psyduck:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Scratch Monkey posted:

Prediction: there will never be Japanese minis because the real money is in armor and the Pacific war was light on tanks

The war may have been light on tank combat, but the tanks themselves existed, and did see extensive use in India, South East Asia and Manchuria: Ha-Go, Ke-Ni, Ke-Nu, I-Go, Chi-Ha, Shinhoto, Chi-He, Chi-Nu, Ka-Mi, Ka-Chi were all produced to varying degrees, and are no less valid as EW vehicles than the British EW tanks I've seen while browsing.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

If I was going to go with a British army, what mid and late war books would I be best off looking at?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Does anyone have any opinions about the Forged in Battle 15mm line? I backed a small KS for their ancient historicals, and after many requests they just offered a one time only discount sale of the WW2 minis to backers once they send out the KS survey.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Arquinsiel posted:

The opinions I've seen tend to be that they're good, but they're also lacking in variety of poses within units.

Does anyone here have any? The opinions I'm looking at range from "they have the best 15mm ww2 infantry full stop" to "it's ok but doesn't scale well with Battlefront stuff", and "the tanks are great" to "the tanks are good but too narrow, and they have integral lips of material at the bottom which makes them difficult to run with unbased other manufacturers without looking weird"

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They look pretty good to me, thanks a bunch!

Yeah the historical stuff just looked interesting to me, I don't already have any ad I didn't really have a preference for a scale, so I backed it. Plus the Roman and Eastern village sets looked like they'd also make good terrain for FoW in Italy and north Africa respectively, and I like things I can get more than one kind of use from.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

YF19pilot posted:

My LGS is looking to do a Battlefoam order, and I've figured that now that I have the money for it, that I should probably get me something other than a tackle box to carry my FoW armies in. I've heard Battlefoam is kindy pricey for what they have, so what alternatives exist? Mainly looking at foam or at least something to expand storage to help cut down on how much space my crap takes up, as well as eliminate the hassle of taking one army out of all the tackle boxes and putting the next one in.

I have KR Multicase, they do card cases that hold a stack of FoW stuff, and bags that hold the cases, and on the plus side they're a great company with a quality product, whereas Battlefoam is run by a total prick.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Arquinsiel posted:

Some crazy guy over in the GW threads once abused his position at MIT and had a bunch of grad students stick 144 dice in little compartments onto a vibration table to "roll" them a couple of thousand times and record the results.

You say that like there's a better use for grad students :v:

Also if someone made a box of the 95th Rifles from Sharpe like the Dad's Army box Warlord is doing, I'd be all the gently caress over it

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The back one might be a Gebirgsflak 38, which was a lightened version of the standard 2cm AA gun built as a dual purpose support weapon for paratroops, but it's hard to tell.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

YF19pilot posted:

Bought a kit of Battlefront's new plastic P.IVHs last night. No Golden Panzer, so I won't be going to the chocolate factory. I'm liking it so far. Certainly makes the Shermans in the Open Fire! set look like a hack job (or at least my attempt to put them together). I'm not as big a tank buff as some of you guys, but did the PIV grow in size through it's iterations? I have a Zvezda PIVD and it is noticeably smaller than both the new plastic and old resin PIVHs that I have from Battlefront. I have a BF PIVD in a blister, but not put together yet. Otherwise, the plastic and resin seem to be pretty spot on with each other for scale.

No it didn't, those are just measurement/scaling differences between manufacturers. It had varying levels of extra applique and integral armour over versions but they should be difficult to notice at 15mm

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I guess I'm not as big of a German crew served weapon sperg as I thought :v:

Also, if anyone is as terrible at freehand logo/emblem painting as I am I got the guys behind this to add some WW2 stencils to their line, specifically the two Balkenkreuz, the US Army stars and the slightly less historical Soviet ones :buddy:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Colonial Air Force posted:

What's crazy is that it's been 70 years now. Almost 3 generations removed.

Ask veterans about everything, while you still can, that's what I do whenever the opportunity arises, because pretty soon all you'll have left is archives. In a middle year of high school, courtesy of a relative in my class I got to hear a talk from and ask questions of a guy who was on this little jaunt to Singapore

I've decided to use FiB to build a nice combined arms force of late war British infantry, tanks and guns, and then figure out later how many of them I can use effectively at any given time. The War & Empire beta rules are out for testing now on the ancients I backed, and scultping is continuing, so hopefully that all happens by April or so. Then the question becomes what ancients do I go with? Roman Republic? Empire? Carthage? Hispania? India? Sarmatia? Skythia? Thrace? Persia? Germania? Split it and get two? Decisions :ohdear:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

lilljonas posted:

The growing number of plastic alternatives for 15mm WW2 is nice though. Recently Wargames Factory joined the fray, with German and American infantry: http://www.wargamesfactory.com/webstore/world-war-2

So now there's Plastic Soldier Company, Wargames Factory, Battle Front... did I miss any?

Forged in Battle, Peter Pig, Old Glory, Zvezda, Eureka, Quick Reaction Force

If World of Tanks wasn't such a bandwidth eating shitheap when patching I'd have caught the plastic bit sooner. Zvezda has lots of plastic Soviet vehicles in 15mm if I'm not mistaken.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 25, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Forums Terrorist posted:

I would have oathed all 21 but I hadn't finished basecoating half of them so there were two colours.

Pretty sure it's one colour per mini, I've happily oathed a group of minis where half were primed black, and half were primed white, plus one not primed at all.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

krushgroove posted:

Yep, that's fine, it's just the ones that are part-primed and part-basecoated, or zenithal primed that we get funny about. Easiest thing to do is just take pictures of the sprues :)

Then assemble them from the sprue and paint all in the one month, just like the Soviets did irl :ussr:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

YF19pilot posted:

And Otto Carius with his "favorite" unit. Should have a rule that if a spotter plane comes within 16", or if they can draw line of sight to more than two Shermans, they need to roll motivation to not run away.

Then if they fail that motivation test, another test to see if they back away from the Shermans or turn around and expose their rear armour while driving away :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Devlan Mud posted:

I did this when I painted up my since sold US rifle company, and it worked like a charm. Just use Elmer's and be careful when lifting guys off the Popsicle stick when you're finished, because models will bend at the legs if you aren't careful, potentially cracking your paint job. I imagine this method world even better now that bases with recessed holes for the models are a thing.

You don't even need to use Elmers glue, simple double sided tape has had no trouble at all holding down the 15mm disc based guys from Open Fire!, and even larger 28mm stuff by the feet. Then it pulls right off with no chance of damage!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

My oldest bought some told soldiers "for me", so we're playing his very first wargame.

E: And he won, mostly by summoning a brotherly earthquake.

:3:

You deserved it tbh, the F-117 is so OP fancy bringing it against a newbie

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Until recently, if someone had said historical wargaming to me the first thing that would have come to mind was ranks of tiny redcoats lined up against ranks of tiny blue coats, and two bearded men arguing about the placement of cannon, but then I'm Australian not American. The ACW makes me think of men in their late 30s to early 40s reenacting famous battles, except this time the south wins because the south will rise again dag tarnit :bahgawd:

Now of course I know better, having integrated this new world of miniature wargaming with my better than average knowledge of history.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Pierzak posted:

For fucks sake, this is the historicals thread, settle this like men. The offended party chooses pistols or sabers.

They also require seconds

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Gentlemen :wotwot:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Battlefront would hardly be alone in promoting the myth of Good Guy Uber Fritz, Uncle Sam the Lord and Saviour and Ivan the Incompetent Butcher (and his 4000 assistants)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I was talking more about WW2 history as taught in US books, television, movies and all kinds of games more than just tabletop wargames. Hordes of 2-men-per-rifle Soviet soldiers being viciously herded into the guns by unflinching commissars until the honourable Wehrmacht soldiers lower their guns, unable to kill again after being forced into committing so much brutal carnage, is just one of many perverse interpretations that has weaseled its way into historical fact everywhere due to the need for acceptance of Germany as a cold war ally.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cassa posted:

other than maybe a joke Australian list (is that even a thing?)

There's an Australian list in the North Africa book I want to get, but I'm not sure how good it is. I still just have Open Fire as well, and while I too like the idea of a Russian army, I'm planning on fleshing out a British army from there instead.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

There's also https://www.gamesempire.com.au not bought FoW from them before but other things I have ordered always arrived promptly

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

YF19pilot posted:

Fun fact: despite being a Fascist, Mussolini actually gave Libyans more or less full rights as Italian citizens. Something the previous government failed to do. Still a wannabe Caesar.

Probably because the whole racial superiority thing was specific to Nazi-ism, and not really a part of fascism as invented in Italy until Mussolini had to take an anti-semitic line to appease Hitler, because it was pretty clear by then who the bitch was.

No way, the German people TOTALLY didn't know what Hitler was up to, and they were all innocent even though they all voted for the Nazis.

:v:

Also all the war crimes were committed by the foreign volunteer SS divisions in violation of orders, and against their own people no less, the true German SS divisions would never do something so dishonourable :v:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 14, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

This is all the Spanish Inquisition's fault. If during the reconquista they hadn't fomented antijewish and muslim sentiment until the marranos and mariscos were perpetually suspected of capital crimes and ejected from Castile and Aragon, the nazis would have had to find some other convenient target for their idiotic rhetoric, and then the russians might have had nobody to rape!

Where are your sources :argh:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I know that when I mail poo poo to the UK from Australia, even during the Xmas overload period it takes 10 days at most to arrive, sometimes as few as 6. They may be assholes who won't mail paint pots now, but Royal Mail seems to process and deliver stuff as fast as any mail service drat well ought to do.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Tracking numbers don't work on international post beyond telling you it exists, unless you pay a lot extra for a courier, at least in my experience.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

krushgroove posted:

So...what's EW?

Also, still looking for what base size I should make for the 15mm infantry, I can cut styrene sheets up to whatever size.

EW is Early War.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

So if I'm intending on playing British, are any of those EW books on the front page worth getting?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

No Pun Intended posted:

Blitzkrieg covers the European theatre and Burning Empires covers the African theatre. Both include lists for the British.

Oh I get that they and Hellfire and Back have British forces in them, I'm just asking are they worth it? ie Have they been superseded, or is there a compendium, etc

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

These are historicals, you arm with whatever the Quartermaster gives you :goonsay:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Serotonin posted:

That reminds me of an early forray into WW2 when we tried Rapid Fire in the late 1990s. We all went away and made some lists to play a big battle. I tried (although not very well) to come up with what seemed a realistic (to my understanding at the time) British Army force. My friend turned up with a force that was entirely Panthers and King Tigers, and trucks full of German infantry with flamethrowers. Like 100 of them.

So his entire force broke down and caught on fire before you finished deployment? :v:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Dirt Worshipper posted:

So I've started that 15mm Bolt Action/Chain of Command project I was mulling over. Here's the first squad of Germans with a 28mm figure for the sake of comparison.

Some Commonwealth troops with a Staghound are next up.

Keep the 28mm figure in the squad, write a Return to Castle Wolfenstein scenario :getin:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm on top of using PSC and Zvezda for the more common British 15mm tanks, and Forged in Battle for some slightly rarer ones, but I found these when I was searching for alternatives to the kinda pricey A9, A10 and A13, and the Rolls Royce, Morris and Marmon-Herrington armoured cars that Battlefront makes. Paying $5 USD a tank for things that aren't hateful metal lumps seems great, but I dunno, some of those tanks just look... wrong. Is anyone familiar with them?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 5, 2014

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Arquinsiel posted:

The Churchills look a bit narrow, and the Crusaders look a bit short. Matilda IIs look way off. Valentine looks a bit lacking in detail from the pictures shown. Humber II turret is a bit wide. Other than that, not terrible. The Mk VI lights look poo poo, but Forged in Battle do them so you're sorted there. Other than that, not terrible, not great.

The first thing I saw that looked wrong was the Crusader turrets, which look wrong in every direction. Fortunately PSC and FiB make some good Churchills, and Zvezda makes some dirt cheap Matilda I and IIs, and I already planned to get the FiB Mk VI lights and Honeys, but the early Cruiser tanks are hard to find. I think I might roll the dice on a couple A13s and an A9 CS... maybe. Thanks all.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I got my three early war FoW books in the mail today, Blitzkrieg, Hellfire and Back and Burning Empires, dat new book smell :kimchi:

Looking forward to dissecting them so that i'll have an idea of what I want to buy when i can afford to buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MohawkSatan posted:

Does anyone know of a place to get minis in Canada? Wherever I look it always seems to be 'doesn't ship to Canada' or the shipping is bloody insane.

Like I could go buy another two or three boxes of ammo for real guns for what I'd be paying in shipping.

Edit: specifically looking for 15mm WW2 stuff. Canadians/brits in particular

http://www.meeplemart.com/store/pg/23-Navigation-Grid-Miniatures.aspx

They have Flames of War (Battlefront), Plastic Soldier Company, Zvezda and Forged in Battle

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 20, 2014