Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So how ostracized would one get if he showed up to an FoW game with a Pink Panzer Division or Hello Mien Kitty, or maybe a Russian Red Tide?

Both for pick up and serious play... There is an inherent appeal to harvesting immersion tears but it's more about pulling off a ridiculous theme. And getting into a game that's more about playing and less about power gaming. I am assuming that the very nature of historical settings leads to less aggregate power creep... is that naive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Well, duh, a single pink tiger doesn't make any sense. Not even a panther....

(bullshit loving neckbeards)

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
What can y'all tell me about Openfire!(tm)? Mostly I'm curious how complete the forces book is compared to the big rule book. Buying a separate supplement is fine if I wanted to play like Ostfront or Market Garden, I just don't want to get stuck buying the main book later, when I'm already not very interested in Joes (I am limey and ruskie curious though, so are those shermans usable as lend-lease or british?).

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
"We painted the dog pink"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The new Open Fire set is...

Thanks, that's exactly the info I wanted, unfortunately it didn't make the dilemmmuch clearer. I don't want to bother with a watered down rule book, but then the starter box is a good deal for the minis alone. Guess I'll just get the book for now.

My other idea was to just get troopers in winter coats and paint them up to look like they're in the space fleet from Gundam or Robotech. At least there's some historical precedence for pink SS. Maybe black racing stripes on pink chassis....hmm.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 21, 2015

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
That's a good point about the mini rulebook. But special rules! I'm coming from games where that can mean the difference between "meh" and "you sank my battleship". Is that not so much the case in FoW?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Arquinsiel posted:

Depends what game you're coming from, but FoW is generally less special-rulesy than GW games, and lots less than Warmahordes.

Both, really. I did war machine until escalation and hordes came out, at which point it got silly and not fun and I went back to 40k. 40ks 5th edition was sensible but then I took a long hiatus from games/hobby and I've come back to find GW trying to emulate PP.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh no, special rules can be ridiculous in Flames.

IMO both of those cases are within reason. The Jumbo thing is a little meta gamey, but it's completely appropriate from a fluff POV. The same goes for the hindering of poorly trained Russian tankers.

I've been 15mm historical curious for years but I never see DBM stuff outside of events. I do see FoW and I can sperg as much as any average goon about WW2. Maybe a little bit more spergy... like in the 80 percetiile.

So, what you're saying with the jumbos makes me think that playstyle is more about your list and not your nation. Are there any clear under dogs among the major powers?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So I've went hunting for deals (went with the FoW big book) and I am thinking of using Wargames factory for Infantry and Plastic Soldier for Armor. 1) Are there any caveats with such a route? 2)I couldn't find any artillery beyond mortars or heavy weapons teams, did I miss a 3rd party option for that?

Also, are these boner educing 16th century samurai/ashigaru in 28mm? 25mm?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I find the website nostalgic and I think the minis are better than some of the battlefront dudes. It's like melty Nazis at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

This is why I am a bad.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
So I got the big FoW book, and I got like 80-odd late war Gerrys from Wargames Factory. Naturally, I have more questions.

Looking at the Grenadierkompany, I can opt in some Panzerschrecks on the HQ. Are these 2 Teams to a medium base or 1 Team on a small base, twice? The little man Graphic on the list shows two teams on separate lines.
In general I should follow the guidance of the little man graphic on the list entry for squads?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
You're right, it lists it as one anti tank team/section with the staggered graphic, where the mortars list 2 separate teams. Shucks, I went and glued them to small bases last night.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
What can you dudes tell me about the invincibility of krupp steel? I'm very tempted by that plastic Panther/Jadpanther IV kit because they look cool, Panthers are better than tigers, and magnets. But there's a couple of articles that suggest all Pz I Vs and maybe StuGs, because points and weight of fire.

I'm planning to add tanks and a mortar squad to the following to start.

quote:

German Grenadier
Infantry Company, from Forces, page 44

Compulsory Grenadier Company HQ (p.44) - CinC SMG, 2iC SMG (40 pts)
- Upgrade CinC SMG to CinC Panzerfaust SMG (10 pts)
- Upgrade 2iC SMG to 2iC Panzerfaust SMG (10 pts)
- Panzerschrek (25 pts)
- 2x 8cm GW34 mortar (55 pts)
- Sniper (50 pts)

Compulsory Grenadier Platoon (p.45) - Command Rifle/MG, 4x Rifle/MG (110 pts)
- Replace Command Rifle/MG with Command Panzerfaust SMG (10 pts)

Grenadier Machine-gun Platoon (p.45) - Command SMG, 4x MG34 HMG (135 pts)

Grenadier Mortar Platoon (p.46) - Command SMG, 3x Observer Rifle, 6x 8cm GW34 mortar (180 pts)

Panzer Platoon (p.35) - Command Panther A, 2x Panther A (560 pts)

Tank-Hunter Platoon (p.49) - Command Jagdpanzer IV, Jagdpanzer IV (190 pts)

1495 Points, 6 Platoons

COMPARED TO

German Grenadier
Infantry Company, from Forces, page 44

Compulsory Grenadier Company HQ (p.44) - CinC SMG, 2iC SMG (40 pts)
- Upgrade CinC SMG to CinC Panzerfaust SMG (10 pts)
- Upgrade 2iC SMG to 2iC Panzerknacker SMG (5 pts)
- 2x 8cm GW34 mortar (55 pts)
- 2x Sniper (100 pts)

Grenadier Machine-gun Platoon (p.45) - Command SMG, 4x MG34 HMG (135 pts)

Grenadier Mortar Platoon (p.46) - Command SMG, 3x Observer Rifle, 6x 8cm GW34 mortar (180 pts)

Panzer Platoon (p.35) - Command Panzer IV H, 4x Panzer IV H (450 pts)

Assault Gun Platoon (p.50) - Command StuH42, 2x StuH42 (285 pts)

1500 Points, 6 Platoons

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
The sniper is only there to fill the points gap. I don't have the grenadiers to take 2 full platoons, but I'll look into getting a few more, seems like a better way to fill points.

My plan with the hq mortar team was to leave them separate for smoke options and let the big team do the blowing up dudes thing, also theoretically allowing me to pass on the StuH.

I dunno, I like Panthers, but I'm not a big fan of the jagpanzer and there's way cooler td's/assault guns out there.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Tru story bro
I just found a 5 pack of them for 27 USD on Amazon. I couldn't pass up such a low low price. Grabbed a platoon of Nazis too, also for nearly 50% off.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm up to highlighting on a Wargames Factory Nazi Grenadier company. I'm not super pleased with the minis but then I rember that it was 18 USD so w/e. I am fairly pleased with my job on them, considering its my first go with tiny soldier mans. 15mm is... interesting, coming from 28mm.

Anyway, more FoW questions:

Tiger 1E, Pz IV H, StuG, StuH, and Panther A through D are ok for mid and late war, right? Battlefronts store is not clear about this, for instance the single Tiger 1 E is M/L but the platoon box is only Late.

Also, the older books that are still available have been updated for 3rd? I remember, for example, Fortress Europe being around the last time I looked into it which was during 2nd edition. OTOH, Ostfront has been replaced by Grey Wolf(?)

Mainly I'm looking for lists that allow me to combine StuGs and StuHs and still have room for other tanks. Devils Charge, Nuts and Grey Wolf all have good canidates. Grey Wolf seems like it's the beefiest, but frankly I'm more interested in the history around Devil's charge/Nuts. What are you guys' feelings on the late war German books, game and warrior wise?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

YF19pilot posted:

war crime Panthers and StuGs.

Wait, what? That sounds sexy.

YF19pilot posted:

And they get to use them as artillery!
That IS sexy. Are there any cases where german 88s can be used as artillery?

Conan the Librarian posted:

This list brings up a couple points worth talking about.

The fact that he Forces Grenadier list has 0 Recce is something that bothers me a lot, actually. Other books have foot Recce in the Grenadier lists, and since Grenadier lists defend in most cases I suppose that might work if you stick to turtling, but non-mobile recce seems kind of dumb, especially given the apparent awesomeness of 8-rads and what not.

The main thing about babys first list is that it utilizes what I have and helps me determine where to go next. In the future I really want to go full Gepanzerte because Sd Kfz 250 assaults look :krad: but I'm not there yet. Tanks are the next priority, then artillery... that's good to know about the trucks for unarmored Panzergrenadier.

So I see/hear Rocket artillery get mentioned often but not 10.5 and 15cm howitzer batteries. Is there some hidden reason that makes them suck or something? Rockets are certainly cool, especially with the mobile Gepanzerte option. For the record that HQ Mortar attachment is more about smoke than it is about firepower. I know the StuH's cover that but I'm a fan of redundancy and flexibility when it comes to key elements such as smoke.

For AA the 10/5 and 7/x seem pretty handy, how do Wirbelwinds and Ostwinds perform? And as I asked at the beginning are there any AA 88 options that can double as artillery? Otherwise 88s seem like a pricey option that can only do AA where the 2 and 3.7 cm trucks have dual purpose.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Acebuckeye13 posted:

During the Battle of the Bulge, the Germans attempted to dress up some Panthers and StuGs as M10s and... something, respectively, as a part of Operation Greif. That portion of the plan failed pretty spectacularly IIRC, but in the game you can field them as a support option with some added benefits.

All this is fascinating, as a Murican I've mostly been bombarded with "101ST AIRBORNE---NUTS!!!1!" so i don't have much exposure to the other side of that fight. Even the old History Channel didn't have much about it IIRC, not enough Hitler I guess. I know "Greif" doesn't have the same meaning in German but that's the icing on the war crime cake.

Conan the Librarian posted:

Its mostly that Allied artillery completely outclasses German guns, their special rules and their loving AOP mean that the Germans will always be outgunned, so why try to keep up?

Is that not a-historical? I'm relying on that murican/hitler channel bias: 88s were king poo poo and the first rule of US Howitzers in WW2 is don't talk about US howitzers in WW2.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

YF19pilot posted:

"Every gun an 88, every tank a Tiger." Unfortunately this also leads to Hollywood perpetuating the myths because film writers can't be arsed to do research and when called out on it, they immediately run to the same lame excuse of "artistic license" that they always do. So you get kids (and adults) who didn't realize the Germans had more than one tank and poo poo like that.

That's the other funny thing about the ersatz panther: it looks like those abominations in the first Saints and Soldiers. "whaddya mean it doesn't look like a Nazi tank? It's gray and it has a balkincrews !". I was prepared to deal with the acting... But jfc.

But look, this is all bullshit, Me 262 was gonna bring plenty of groung ordnance to make up for the lack in artillery.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I got my hands on Grey Wolf and I can't find Otto Carius/Albert Kercher? We're they removed from the revision? I was looking forward to reading about them in detail.

I also finally got my first game in, it was a learning experience. I brought the pdf Pioneerkompanie with compulsory troops and 2 StuG Platoons (one was all StuHs) and I had a Pander Kompanie ally with a KT, 2 Tigers and 5 Pz IVs. We fought an American Armor Co with 76 Sherman's, Stuarts, e8s and a mounted
rifle platoon.It was a learning experience. I squandered my StuGs by moving them too often and misunderstanding how cncealment worked but the Pioneers acquitted themselves with 3 successful assaults. Which is good because their shooting sucked.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Rich Nazi gets caught red handed planing an armored assault on small German town.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 7, 2015

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Serotonin posted:

The DiceBag lady breaks open the Gripping Beast plastics boxes and sells 6 pt war bands using the contents.

http://thedicebaglady.net/6-point-plastic-warband/

goddam you limeys get all the cool poo poo

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Thundercloud posted:

To be fair we do write and manufacture an awful lot of wargames.

On the topic of Bolt Action, I crumbled and now have 1000 points of Grenadiers coming. It is only a few over 40 models to paint though.
yeah, I'm just super jealous and angry at the weak dollar & cross atlantic shipping rates.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Pierzak posted:

Also, just buy both full boxes and sell the extra sprues.

That requires effort.

I feel like most of the cool online mini places for historical stuff is brit/euro, but that could be confirmation bias.

At least we're not AUS/NZ.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

TheDiceBagLady posted:

You too can have the cool poo poo for just a pound more (overseas shipping £3.95, UK shipping £2.95) I run The Dice Bag Lady/Bad Squiddo Games, let me know if I can be of any help! I want to do more box splits, it's just time and headaches figuring them out, always up for suggestions! The Moors and Saracen kits I made took most of a day and pretty much left me covered in a pile of sprues and boxes, weeping. (of course they have to be made in such a way I don't end up with "spares", or it costs me money, hence with the Moors you actually get a metal warlord, as plastic would have meant going into another box just for one guy)

Annie

Now you're making me feel guilty.. That's incredibly reasonable shipping but the conversion rate still kills it for me. The best example I have is PSC's 15mm armor selection: FOr me it'd be $33 ish per box so I'd need to buy the 3 packs to make the most out of the shipping&exchange rate. Or just wait for the War Store to get whatever i'm waiting for in and spend $26 per box.

Anyway, I just caved and got a box of Hirdmen and a box of peasants from War Store.

And Zveda's Samurai Battels for a goddam song($45).

And an additional 5% off because GenCon.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 3, 2015

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Hey nerds, I'm gonna be in Berlin and Munich this fall (and Amsterdam, Florence, and Rome). Is there any miniature game related stuff in those cities that I should check out? Already stopping in Hamburg for the Miniature Wunterlund.

Unrelated: Any of you guys in Chicago and playing SAGA?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Kaza42 posted:

Now that you mention it, yeah. My bad, I just play Flames of War. It's still a good place to check out, you can ask around if anyone plays SAGA, they play all sorts of stuff there

When I was in the city I went pretty regularly on Historical night for Flames. Never saw anyone bring SAGA. I'm in a SW burb now and I've a baby so the friction to go up to Andersonville/Uptown is a little too much.

There's a local store with some warmahordes dudes that I'm gonna try and convert from their foolishness. Just as soon as I get the other half of these armies put together.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
What system are you using for those samurai's?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Does CoC ever get played in 1/35? I've got some tamiya models/troopers sitting around; my original plan was to build a diorama but dual purposing my gerrys would be pretty cool too.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

lilljonas posted:

I mean, there are boxes (like Tamiya's infantry boxes) that are about the same cost as 28mm miniatures.

I don't believe it: Show me where to find 28mm models at this price point.

CoC does get played in 15mm though, right? Rule wise can you get away with FoW base set-ups? I doubt that but a set of FoW mans is NBD.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

lilljonas posted:

I know you kid, but:
8 men for 9 bucks
38 men for 31 bucks: http://www.thewarstore.com/product89286.html

But yeah, if you shop around you can find 1/35 stuff that is very affordable. And if you have the time and money, there's some magificient terrain in 1/35, such as MiniArt's entire catalogue.

I did not realize that Perry Bros had a few WW2 sets. Also, nice upgrade for Warstore Website!

Anyway I don't know why I'm bothering, all I can find reliably around Chicago is FoW and more FoW (game wise).

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Nm, dumb.

Ponies otw.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jul 15, 2016

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
https://m.thevintagenews.com/2016/07/30/priority-see-surviving-images-veterans-napoleonic-wars-hd-color-2/

I'm just gonna leave these colorized photos of Napoleonic soldiers right here.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Back to mixed formations chat:

Would Machiavelli's examples of Pike/Shot/Sword&Board formations in his Art of War be a good example for mixed units in western theaters? Can anyone think of any others?

I find the problem of representing that in a game to be very interesting. Focusing on positioning and communication instead of the actions of individual troopers AND at the same time keeping elements of chance and avoiding too much rock<paper<scssors action is something I've thought about on and off again over many years.

I'm not full weeaboo but feudal japan is fascinating. It totally exasperates the problem too, which is why I've been keeping it in 15th century Europe terms.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

muggins posted:

Some of us dudes are getting together at AdeptiCon to do some Sharp Practice. We're tracking our hobby as we go-

http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2016/10/announcing-royal-american-regiment-of.html?m=1

Is that a private party or what? I was planning on Adepticon to actually get some games in this year rather than lurking (I'm in the SW chicago burbs).

You can PM me. I'm down with tracking my progress. I have nothing for the period either.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

muggins posted:

So you're charged with painting 16 French grenadiers and an officer or Sergeant :chanpop:

I'll go with Sergeant as long as he's still a level II, it's my peasant roots you see.

I know it's more my discretion but is this pre or post 1758? I'm getting distracted by uniform stuff while browsing minis.

Also does anybody have any experience with Warlords French Regular Infantry box?

These AW Grenadiers look like butt

Conquest looks allright but I've heard a bad word about the casting?

I can barely tell with these guys but I feel like ive seen them in another shop too...?

I only see French irregulars on Galloping Major. I'm also having a hard time figuring out how theater appropriate the Bearskin hats were. Kinda leaning toward those conquest tricorns.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 12, 2016

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

I got nothing but good to say about zveda (fairly hard) plastics... other than the obligatory WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING 1/72?

E: conversely: WHY THE gently caress AREN'T WE DOING 1/72nd?1!?

Those Bauda look pretty good.

Minden from Fife and Drum look really nice but the French line is really limited in poses. Basically it's mono pose dudes in march stance for Fusiliers and Grenadiers. However their Legion de Hainault Light Infantry and their Cavalry do have some variance. As for the pictures they have online of "unfinished" mini's go they have clearly been cleaned and washed for definition. They look fantastic but gently caress all that mono pose baloney.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 14, 2016

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I am fully hard for their semi hard plastics.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

muggins posted:

DiHK your musket era dudes are gonna be in the same rifle position anyway, so they'll be similar

Sure, but everybody in the same pose vs 4 poses per 8 man group is a big difference (that's with Redoubt).

For me it's as much about interest in painting as it is about table look. Theres something to be said for a boat load of identical dudes on a table but at 28mm I'm not likely to collect enough from a single period to pull that off.

Thats actually why I like assembly required plastics like Gripping Beasts Saga stuff. Variety is the spice and the spice must flow.

shout out to space marine pauldrons for allowing a lot of leeway with arm positions

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Are you saying I can expect to be playing wargames with my son in as little as 3 years? :getin:

How does he do with rules?

DiHK fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 19, 2016

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Ilor posted:

Ah, I may have given the wrong impression. It's not that the game is complicated, it's that there's a lot of material of which you need to keep track.

For instance: the movement is very similar to X-Wing in that you plot out your course in advance (only in SoG, it's two turns in advance, because navigating ships using wind power is tricky and they're not super maneuverable). You do this by using cards, and the cards have lines printed on them that behave exactly the same way as the movement templates for X-Wing. Super easy.

But where as X-Wing has a handful of movement templates, a ship might have a 15 different options for maneuver, and there will be 2 of each (because you're plotting movement two turns at a time and might want to do the same thing twice). So you have a deck of 20-30 cards. For each ship. And you can't just mix them together, because different ships have different deck types. Frigates have lots of fast movement, sloops have lots of cards that let you turn on a dime, etc.

Similarly, each ship gets a number of actions each turn based on its crew (lose crew, fewer actions). Super easy. The complication is in that you declare your actions using chits (which you place face down so your opponent doesn't know what you're doing). There are like 12 different chits (reload port cannons, reload starboard cannons, fire port cannons, fire starboard cannons, initiate boarding action, pump water, put out fires, etc). So every turn, you've got to sort through all of your chits and pick the right ones. For every ship.

Oh, and there's a different chit for each ammunition type (regular shot, heavy shot, chain shot, grape shot), which you need to have as well.

It's not that the game is hard. Conceptually it's very easy to pick up, and nothing is difficult. And it's rad as gently caress. It's just that the mechanical action of sorting through all of your cards and chits and poo poo every turn gets a little tedious.

Dude, tag your porn, I'm at work and now I have a stiffie ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I have ospreys gempei war, shogun armies and ashigaru books, all good though the art is not as polished as that. Great resources for figuring out how to shoehorn them into an existing ruleset, I just gotta try out some different rulesets.