Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Got some Anglo Dane huscarls and warriors done. Should be enough for a 4 point match-up on both sides, plus I've got some levies primed. Thinking:
-Danes: Warlord, 8x HG, 4x heavy HG, 8x warrior, (8x warrior, 12x bow levy)
-Vikings: Warlord, 8x HG, 4x berserker, 8x warriors, (8x warriors, 12x bow levy)
Watched some batreps and played a solo game to get a feel for it, still trying to get a feel for balancing dice between activations and abilities- any general tactics advice is appreciated (especially since I've read a bunch but I'm introducing it to a new player.) Also considering how to flesh out these armies a bit more- probably more Dane axes (a 4 unit feels pretty slim), Viking javelins, but idk what ranges of warriors and hearthguard is normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Any advice for what color to paint the fletching for Viking age archers? I don't know what kinds of feathers would usually be used

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah from poking around it seems at least in premiere England geese were most popular, occasionally swans as well, so mostly gray with some white and light brown. Seems like the Vikings may have used eagles as well but white tailed eagles. Interestingly looks like peacock feathers were a luxury item primarily for hunting but could be a cool flourish on elite units

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Finished off 6 point warbands, should have a Saga game this Saturday. One thing I'm not sure about : how does equipment that reduces your armor interact with the rule that armor must be between 2 and 6- ie can I lower bow levies twice to 2-1 or increase daneaxe hearthguard twice to 7-1?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

saga thoughts: trying to decide whether i want to use viking spearmen or irish/norsegael kerns for my viking levy javelins. the kern models have a more celtic dress/appearance but the spearmen have more armor and shields than most levy units- and idk if shields are appropriate for javelin skirmishers to begin with

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Shields are very typical kern equipment, but kerns are usually referred to in post-Norman invasion contexts if that makes a difference for you. They're not exactly difficult things to make though so it's a fair bet that pretty much any troop of the era could find a basic one to use.

Okay didn't know that, the game still refers to the Irish skirmishers as "kerns" though it doesn't really matter. I guess I'll go with the Viking spearmen then, so they have a bit of differentiation from the Norse Gaels who are themed around using Irish slave levies

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Painting up some Anglo-Saxon select fyrd for Saga, anyone got some good freehand shield designs for Mercians? Already did one warlord with the yellow dragon

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

How would Gothic cavalry look for Viking era Anglo Saxons?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah this is for Saga which counts the Hastings era Saxons as a different faction, Anglo Danes, but yeah those guys do look a little out of period there. Head swaps are probably easier than shield swaps with those models if I had to I guess

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Thinking of how to paint up Saga dark ages cavalry:
- From poking around seems like English warhorses trend more brown/black and French ones more white/gray?
-Thinking about how to distinguish the "Breton Horsemen" special mercenary unit from generic Norman/Breton warriors- thinking i might do them as Basque light horse? Not sure what models or equipment they'd use
-Any general tips on how to paint horses quickly without contrast? Seems like I'm gonna have to get good at drybrushing/highlighting

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Working on some priests for Saga Age of Vikings and not really sold on these two mounted priests, but I'm not sure what alternate color schemes would look good and be accurate for the period

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Placentaur posted:

These are rad, sounds like some good gaming.

I have a question that there might not be a clear answer to. I'm playing a lot of SAGA Age of Vikings, and I'm thinking of making a Carolingian/Capetian army. No one really makes specific dark age foot/cavalry for this (which sort of makes sense, there wasn't a ton of difference afaik).

If I were to get something, say, from victrix, which would serve me better for foot/cavalry? On one hand, Saxon ranges are what is oft recommended, but something like Normans seems closer since it's in Normandy and I'm pretty sure Capetians were based out of Paris? That said, kite shields don't seem overly Carolingian, but that might just be artist interpretation.

Failing this, is there something that if you saw on a miniature, would just scream Frankish/Carolingian/Capetian to you? Something like kiteshields/conical helmets for Normans, or shirtless dudes in furs for Vikings but for Carolingians/Capetians.

Thanks!

Gripping Beast makes a line in metals

So it does seem kinda Saxon. From a quick Google it looks like the unique pseudo-conquistador helmets are iconic but a little dubious, I think they're represented in contemporary art but it's unclear if they were actually used? They don't seem to have the iconic coif/helmet the Normans used, kite shields can be easily swapped out

Early Franks also have a distinctive haircut, these guys are basically just barely on the other side of Age of Invasions

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 14, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Those last dudes have a weirdly loose grip on their weapons :stare:

I will say exactly one good thing about GB hands: you don't have to drill them

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Meanwhile my turn to ask modeling question:

What's that bracket on the hauberk for? GB Norman knights

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Need a bit of advice here- I'm working on objective markers for Saga using livestock and shepherds, I can fit a couple onto a base but so far my usual process for metals with the cast on base is to glue to base, apply basing material, then prime and paint; and it looks to be kind of a pain to do that with multiple models on a base

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Painting up some medieval livestock for Saga objectives, looking for some feedback on coloring

Some people have pointed out the pigs should probably be more brown, not sure if there's anything else I should change

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Got my objective markers for Saga finished

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

Not at all.

You were already a filthy ameritrash gamer when you picked up a wargame with sculpted miniatures instead of playing a game about the League of Nations negotiating an end to the War of the Stray Dog through abstract mechanics involving differently coloured wooden cubes being moved around a board.

Oh I didn't know Mark Herman was working on another Churchill knockoff

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

First crack at some Saga terrain using hardboard bases. Not a huge fan of the drybrushing but eh good enough. Did come out a little warped- should varnishing the other side fix it?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I kind of like the rule in ADLG that light infantry caught in the open by anything other than light infantry immediately dies

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Especially given how massive pike and shot formations tended to be

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

On the one hand I need to stop planning out Age of Invasions saga armies when I'm still halfway through two Age of Vikings armies. On the other huh could I make Warlord Games Sarmatian horse archers work for Goths somehow

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Endman posted:

The Goths absorbed a lot of peoples around the area referred to by Romans and Greeks as ‘Scythia’ and I’d say it’s reasonable to assume that included some horse-archery dudes.

Yeah definitely, my concerns are a) the particular models seem to be based on late republic/early imperial era and idk if there were major enough changes b) I'd like to include some of their horse archers models but Goths don't have access to composite bows (except maybe mercs? I don't have the book yet), idk if mixing a few in with light lancers would be acceptable. In general it seems like there's a lot more armored than unarmored options for Goth cavalry

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The next project I'm working on is bannermen and personal champions for Saga armies, does anyone know if there's a good 28mm model (preferably metal) for Roland on a horse as a Carolingian champion? Currently best I can find is the horn blower in the Crusader Miniatures Norman unarmored command (I probably need the banner anyway)

E: oh found this on Wargames Foundry which looks a little better I think- still not sure if Normans without cone helmets and swapped with round shields pass for Carolingians?

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 30, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Anyone have advice on making banners? Got a bunch of bannermen for Saga and some of them have transfers, some of them don't. Might see about ordering some more online if I can find some good ones I guess?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Personally I'm really excited for Saga's 2022 rules updates

(Also for their hundred years war book supposedly out this year)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Help I'm having extremely stupid decision paralysis about Saga basing. I've currently got my foot troops on 25mm rounds, heroes on 30mm, warlords on 40mm rounds, and all mounted troops/heroes/warlords on 50x25mm rectangles. Now that I'm painting a bunch of heroes at once, I'm thinking that I might want to distinguish them from the other mounted troops. I'm considering 50x25mm ovals for the heroes and 50mm rounds for the mounted warlords, but I'm waffling over actually making the decision.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah Saga is designed to emulate Dark Ages warbands of a chieftain, a couple retainers, a bunch of dudes with axes, and maybe some guys with bows; the ancients stuff is fun but the lists are a little silly if you think about them too hard. I do wonder how they'll handle post Marian Rome when Age of Caesar finally comes out- might be fun to have their foot troops be all hearthguard

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lilljonas posted:

What I’ve learnt from my better, more experienced Saga players around here is that large circular bases for stuff on horses looks good, but is a pain in the rear end game-play wise.

E: as in one friend going through the hassle of rebasing all his cavalry after a few games because wider bases on cav sucks.

Yeah this is why I'm having second thoughts, and why I'm definitely not doing it for the generic troops. Maybe just sticking to oval bases for both warlords and heroes?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I was going to suggest Saga but that's more 50 models or so

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Actually on that note, in preparation for Saga's forthcoming HYW book, does anyone know of a 28mm (preferably metal) model for Henry V that looks like Kenneth Branagh, and more specifically the coat-of-arms gambeson he's wearing in the movie

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Starting to think about late Roman/ Byzantine armies for Saga. Not sure how to distinguish heavy cavalry from each period- invasions era late Rome has melee and cataphract cavalry, viking era thematic Byzantines have melee and bow cav, crusades era post Manzikert has just melee. Was thinking of doing lance cavalry for thematic Byzantines (since they have an ability named after the kontos spear) and maybe guys with maces/swords for crusades era, but those guys are usually pretty heavily armored and idk if that style continued into the twelfth century?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Count Thrashula posted:

If I have the Saga battleboards, is there any reason I need the special dice? I'm assuming I could just map a regular d6 to the same results and save some money.

Yeah long run it's kinda annoying to remember but if you're just getting started on a budget it's doable

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I don't think Invasions adds any new dice, and the only extra you'd need is the elephant dice for the Sassanids (also used for Carthage, Persia and India). I did end up getting measuring sticks but a ruler works fine too

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cassa posted:

I thought that Saga dice were all the same distribution of symbols and such Three level one, two level two and a single level three, are they not?

Yeah they are, having the "correct" dice only matters for being a little more intuitive

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

proposal: buy a single unit of steppe horsemen mercenaries
reality: making a spreadsheet of every comp bow cavalry unit in saga and which models I'm planning to use for them

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Where I've currently landed on my steppe horse planning is that I'll use Gripping Beast Avars for my Viking era mercenary horse and sort out what I want to use for Mongols, Cumans, Magyars, Turks, etc when I eventually get the crusades book

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I mean a limited raid of like 50 guys using broadly similar equipment is a good description of SAGA. It's even also historically dubious!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cannibal Smiley posted:

Is there a book that you could recommend on Native American warfare customs? This is interesting, but I'd love to have a source for it.

I haven't read it and it focuses entirely on the Great Plains but I've heard good things about Anthony McGinnis' Counting Coup and Cutting Horses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Actually I know this is doubling down on scant historical evidence but what models would be appropriate for Skraelings?