Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

moths posted:

So a silly thing happened on eBay and now I have 100+ 15mm Cold War era Romanians.

What are my gaming options here? I know FoF has a cold war book, and I Ain't Been Nuked Mum is in progress, and I've heard Fist Full of TOWs mentioned. What do you guys like?

Weren't Romanians just a teeny tiny bit poo poo back then? CWC has an option for them as second grade (sooo... third rate) Warsaw Pact army. So, conscripts, T-55s or T-72s, and the best ATGM you get is the Malayutka, tho I doubt the game simulates its supposed shittyness.

Personally, I don't really like CWC much, since it abstracts the poo poo out of wounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

In an unrelated note, there's no reason to ever go to Tamya Playmodel Factory in Tokyo. It's not big, it's not interesting, and you can find most of their range in any decent model store anyway.

Also, I couldn't find a 1:48 Hind or T-55 because they don't make one.

Tho 1:48 Cold War stuff seems sparse in general.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

moths posted:

I want to say that plastic models caught on during the Cold War, coinciding with the boom of cheap & plentiful plastic. There might be a connection there, but I don't know enough about the hobby to say.

Zvezda just started a line of Cold War 1/72 infantry and 1:100 vehicles. Which reminds me that I finally wound up going with Cold War Gone Hot for Force on Force for my windfall of Cold War Romanians. Reading up on them, it seems like Russia would be the most likely enemy force - and lucky for me there's no shortage of 15mm Russians.

The scales still confuse me. Would those 1/72 or 1:100 be compatible with FoW?

How did you Romanians turn up, the end? TQ d8, Morale d6, normal supplies, etc?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

YF19pilot posted:

1:100 is compatible with FoW/any 15mm scale wargame.

Has Italeri started making those 1/56 scale models for Bolt Action yet? I need an excuse to ship things other than Gunpla to my apartment.

Ah, Gunpla. Was at Gundam museum yesterday. They used to make "Hovertrucks", which really were hover BTR-50s

JcDent
May 13, 2013

6mm best mm

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Anyone make use of Warlord's 50% OFF PLASTIC SPRUES?!eins!

I feel like my ambitions for Blitzkroeg Getmans will jave to wait after New Year. After that, I'm buyan' 30 krauts

JcDent
May 13, 2013

There's a rule preview here:

http://www.breakthroughassault.co.uk/2015/10/team-yankee-rules-preview.html

Or you can go filez since one guy on /fowg/ on 4chan scanned it already.

It's still FoW anyways, but Battlefront makes a mean mini. Too bad that Zvezda doesn't, their Abrams is basically plastic blog vaguelly shaped like an Abrams, their T-72 is actually of the B3 variety... but you can load up on cheap Shilkas and Carnations. And as soviet TY player, you'll need them savings.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I think TY is gonna be plastic infantry, which shows comitment. I have never checked Zvezda's Hot War dudes. Maybe plastic soldier review has anything on them?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

spectralent posted:

Zvezda for some reason makes their vehicles in 1/100 and their infantry in 1/72. I have no idea why.

Review dates them at 1986, so it might be too late anyways

As for scale, umom Rossyu nipaniat

EDIT: yeah, I dunno how I dreamed up plastic FoW. Anyways, I'm waiting for the Brits and Jerries. All the hipster coolness of not playing Americans and a third cheaper than Soviets.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Nov 29, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Colonial Air Force posted:

December's WI has an excerpt from the Team Yankee novel, and boy howdy is it garbage!

Last month's had a decent demo game write-up though. It's doubtful I'll grab Team Yankee, as I've really moved in to more skirmish-type games and I could use FoF or something for that, but there are some differences in the rules that intrigue me.

I think Cold War Airpower thread OK'd it, putting the book somewhere between Red Army and Red Storm Rising.

I'm also a fan of skirmish and individual basing, but 28 mm moderns are either disgusting, expensive or both.

I'd get some of that Spectre stuff if it wasn't almost Infinity expensive

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Serotonin posted:

Oh god that Winter King range. Want.

Too bad Arthurians aren't right for SAGA.That chi ro, maaan...

What's ya'll opinion on Spectre Operations, both minis and rules? At least they don't have the activation tango of Skirmish Sangin.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

FoF has a supplement for that. There's even a Snake Plissken scenario.

Fist Full of Tows has every tank ever in it, so it covers all your cold war/rivet counting needs. It can be played with 1:1 tank representation, but never with individual infantrymanz.

It also has the gooniest copyright statement

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

You could do small scale Cold War with Black Ops if you really wanted to. You'd miss out on a lot of the fun sci-fi tech, but it'd work well enough.

I've heard Black Ops mentioned, but I don't know what it is, so what is it?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah no Ivans for another week because lol Battlefront are a mess.

Cheers for the Cold War recommendations as well thread, been looking them up this week and me and a bud are gonna try some stuff. :) Might give TY a go but I've not played FOW so I'm going in a bit blind.

Zvezda's Gvozdikas and Shilkas are boss. Hinds a little less so. T-72 are of the wrong model (as in, wrong for FoW and for the box description). Abrams is hot, detail-less garbage.

...if you were interested in, ahem, alternatives.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

So I'm thinking about modelling 500 pts or so of Force Publique for Bolt Action. Is there any way of making this not suck on the table?

/hwg/?

spectralent posted:

Yeah, TY's very abbreviated compared to core FoW.

Zvezda's T-72 is the B variant, whereas it's A in TY.

I thought someone said it's a B3, by the ERA.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, for force publique, you can't go wrong with max strength squads, Maxim MGs and maybe light field pieces. Probably inexperienced for the lot, and regular for the white officers. At 500 points, you can probably expect a StuG to try and scare you, but not much else.

Besides, people always talk how LMGs are never worth it in Bolt Action (unless you use "Season 2" rules), so you're not missing out.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

stugstugstug

:gifttank:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

It's the Wermabos that is why my Bolt Action German force is Battle of Berlin era, with Luftwaffe infantry, Hitler Youth and Volksturm as well as normal infantry.

People get very enthusiastic about the German fighting machine. Sometimes a little too enthusiastic.

I'm trying to get in Blitzkrieg Germans. None of that Stg Panzergrenadier BS, just Heer Veteran Klaus, his Kar98k and whatever StuG I can pass of the Italieri plastic one.

No bicycles, though!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

muggins posted:

I am painting bicycle troops for my Slovak Rapid Division and they're amazing

Pics or it didn't happen, or whatever kids say these days.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So, my Grendel 6mm arrived. A small test batch of vaguelly Team Yankee (God that's an ugly name) related stuff:

BMP-2. OK, I guess, the only other BMP I have is from GHQ and GHQ is both master race and 1/285 (while others are usually 1/300 if I'm not mistaken)

The T-55 is OK, I guess, but I feel like Heroic and Ros has better detail (newer molds?) and more pronounced road wheel gap.

Heroic and Ross' T-72 has a lovely hull and an OK turret. But this Grendel T-72 is the opposite - the hull is of adequate quality and detail, but the turret is some sort of a cow-pie, I think It's way smaller than it should be.

The Abrams isn't that detailed on the hull (maybe it's actually realistic) and kind of OK on the turret, so pass? Should have ordered a HnR Abrams, but lol planning ahead.

The Hind is featureless lump of poo poo that looks like it had been whittled out of a piece of wood. You can almost make out the places where the side were/are supposed to be.

I also got 50ish soviet infantry dudes. 2 broke off their legs during transport, one remained on single leg, and there are about five prone MG teams. I guess they're more solid, but less detailed than God's own GHQ offering, However, they much, much cheaper. I guess that goes for every 6mm manufacturer save for CinC and I'm probably not gonna order them ever.

Next month, I might try for 3mm, because I'm shitlord who can't concentrate long enough to build one functional army.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

moths posted:

It's Battlefront.

While other companies' German Berlin figures are desperate old men and child soldiers, Flames of War's Germans got IR Vampir Sturmgewehr and yet more SS.

Flipswitch posted:

This doesn't bode well for Team Yankee. My buddy was saying that Battlefront seem to have some sort of narrative they want to spin and adhere to for their games rather than actual game balance.

Hordes of lovely, yet motivated Soviets against the Few, the Better Geared Yankees.

The name is God-awful, too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Oh, I know the name is from a book, I still hate it, Daddy Yankee connections and all that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Numlock posted:

I don't know if you guys have looked beyond the cover of the Team Yankee rule book but most of the people who have, have come to the conclusion that the Soviets in TY are better than the Americans.

I'm not much for mathhammering, so I really can't say. I'm the guy who's buying a box of BA Early War Germans with full intent of fielding LMGs.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

lilljonas posted:

One thing I like about CoC is that the big nasty machine gun that fires at 900 rounds per minute is the foundation of your platoon's firepower, not a handicap.

That's the beauty of Warlord/BA, innit? Not like you're gonna run out of WWII skirmish rulesets. Lardies gonna make sure of that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Zvezda's T-72s are of the wrong model and Abramses are just crap.

My humble suggestion would be to seek out /hwg/ thread on 4chan's /tg/ board; either the OP or one of he other top posts always have a list of manufacturers. It miggt be a little old, tho.

Moderns are somewhat hard to find, usually.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yeah, I didn't say they're all poo poo, it's just they have variable quality.

How good are their Pz. IIIs and T-34s? I've no plans to play FoW, but at 2.5 euros a pop, I can't afford not to buy one or two. Hell, I might buy a Shilka just cuz.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

missed this but pact op!!

Flashback to Wargame chat

I'll probably save my virg... money till BOAR or E-Germans or whatever are released.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

If you don't run 3mm like TinyTanks, witch each 3mm commie roughly representing 1 real life commie, you're a villain of the most loathsome kind.

Infantry sabots ftw

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yes, I do hope that future game opponents will agree to play with Season 2 rules.

...it's the same as .Net rules?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The future is here!

And it's ugly.

And it still want GHQ-bux for the ugly.

gently caress.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Don't go pleb, go Zvezda

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'm not gonna buy it because I already have two X-Wang starters I don't play that often and because of my seething, nigh-irrational hate for Panthers.
Also, bought these guys yesterday with no intention of playing them or painting them historical:

I think zvezda makes them from nationed color coded plastic so you could reasonably play them out of the box. Nowhere near Gundam level of "painting? why?" though.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

spectralent posted:

I don't think all zvezda stuff is "nation coloured"; I think they're the predominant colour of their camo, since IIRC their tiggers are yellow instead of the old grey plastic. On the other hand I don't actually have one so who knows.

One or the other. The T-34 is only 5 parts, so easy to assemble... Shilka is more difficult, and you need glue to prevent gaps at places. That, or I'm bad at assembly.

...and this is how I got into 15mm. I already have 28mm (mostly hams) and 6mm stuff.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Gauls vs Crusaders? :D

JcDent
May 13, 2013

muggins posted:

I am a 28mm poo poo bird myself but that batrep is cool. I can't help but think in the back of my head tho "man that'd be cool in 28mm Perrygod figures"

I love 28mm (getting some of that Warlord German goodness), but 6mm is truly God's Own scale in painting and price. And if all your poo poo is from GHQ... no, a man is not meant to contemplate something that cool. I'm sorry, I'm tearing up a little.

all that tiny detail

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm buying 6mm cold war stuff now. If I were doing WWII and was looking at GHQ's prices I'd say gently caress it and go with 15mm from PSC/Zvezda instead. Holy gently caress are GHQ crazy expensive for such tiny mans.

Oh yeah, their manz (tanks) are about 2 bucks a pop (and more, I guess) in comparison to Heroic and Ros' dudes, but fuuuck me if that isn't some quality 6mm stuff. I have T-72s from Grendel and Heroics both, and I'm not happy about the quality. And GHQ has pictures, too. One other thing about GHQ is because of their mad dedication their barrels (and ankles on dudemen) are thinner and more brittle. But the detail is unparalleled. Grendel manz are both bigger somehow, and worse in detail.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I begrudgingly agree on that, I guess. Shipping kills.

CinC is half as as expensive as GHQ but at least in pictures their quality doesn't match the price.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

At $6 per 4 tanks, I rather go with Grendel or Heroic and ross then.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I will agree that GHQ could sacrifice some realism to make barrels that would not collapse under the weight of a mouse's dream.

I think that GHQ stuff is slightly bigger. Well, it doesn't matter - the shipping costs alone mean that I'll have some God-awful mix of HnR and Grendel.

Just wish HnR put out some hi-res pictures of their stuff, especially infantry.

It really depends on the age of the mold, I guess. T-72 has seen some use while T-55AM is my fav non GHQ piece.

Grendel Hind is my most hated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

...no actual lorries :D