Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Which book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mode 7 posted:

That's certainly... a choice.

I don't know why I wouldn't just play Advanced Squad Leader

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

That's another game with an SS trooper on the cover.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Have you ever played ASL deluxe using minis in addition to the little chits?

Sadly, no, though it sounds like a lot of fun, and definitely something I'd do if I had the space necessary for it (and a way to stream it)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cessna posted:

With a Totenkopf on his collar, even.

I'm sorry sir, I play Advanced Squad Leader

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This seems really weird to me. If the idea is that you are going to be doing some campaign level decision making and then resolving those decisions through games of Bolt Action, and have those games themselves be influenced by your strategic level decisions the scale just seems really off between the two. Bolt Action is 28mm miniatures right? So what are we talking about battle size wise? Something about the size of a US Rifle Platoon with maybe a support squad? 40-50 miniatures a side with a vehicle or two?

So at the strategic level am I am making decisions and moves like "I am going to reinforce the 82nd Airborne Division with this armoured rifle division!" and then you get some odd bonus that would be miniscule in the big picture? I get an extra mortar squad? Something like that? Conversely, at the end of the tactical level battle are you going to be like "First platoon of Easy company saved the day, guess we successfully fought off 12th Panzer Division."

If the miniature game is platoon level interaction then maybe the strategic game should be limited to Battalion size? Or if you want to do a campaign maybe you create your own Company and track the losses and whatnot as your battles unfold in a more appropriate scale.

I have yet to try it myself, but there's a third-party publisher in ASL that developed a campaign system based on North Africa. I've heard good things, and it would appear to be a better means of accomplishing the merge being the strategic and tactical scales.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yes

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Signal posted:

AT rifles also definitely seem like an early war thing

Until the Spring of 1944, the Army only had medium (40mm, 47mm, 50mm) antitank guns (ATG), which were next to useless against the more modern Russian armor being encountered by then. Production switch over to the heavy 75mm
ATG began mid-1943, but these guns were supposed to be for the new Zrinyi assault guns. By an agreement reached with Germany, Hungary would not produce 75mm ATG. The Germans were to provide 9 weapons per month. No heavy
ATG were delivered from Germany until late March 1944. The first three-gun 75mm ATG platoons were issued to the reconnaissance battalions. By May 1944, heavy ATG began to be issued to the active infantry regiments. The 40mm ATG was delivered to the Army at a rate of 40 per month until July 1944. The 20mm antitank rifle continued in production, but was never available in sufficient numbers. Hand-held antitank weapons were only available from Germany, and these were
issued only in limited amounts to units on the front.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 21, 2022

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
AT Rifles weren't a bad option, nor completely useless. You have to remember that an AT rifle can still take out tracks, wheels, or be useful to shoot at vision blocks, or ancillary items. Not to mention that, while the AT rifle will do less against a IS-2, for example, it can still do much to repulse an armored car, or a jeep.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Never give ground to someone who shits on a camo job. Unless youre specifically portraying a specific unit at a specific time, nobody should care about how somethings painted up.

Big exception for anything fash, obviously.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Zuul the Cat posted:

I got sidetracked from my knights by the Farm Animals set from Warlord Games. Working on some scatter terrain for various historicals:

Awesome work!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Is there the equivalent of Dwarf Fortress/Advanced Squad Leader level of complexity and record keeping rules for historical miniatures? I know of at least one set for WW2 but how about musket era and modern?

Pretty sure any of the truly grognardy naval games will feature a heavy set of complexity, to the point of only running two or, maybe (?), four ships.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I was actually looking at 6mm scale models to maybe do some live ASL stuff and I had come across these:

https://www.ghqmodels.com/collections/1-285-6mm-scale
https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/AltEndingGames?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=1064399426

Fake edit: I am dumb, don't have a 3D printer, and have done little to no research

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Siivola posted:

I've got a box of Nazis in Africa from Perry lying around and I'd like to paint at least some of them. However, I don't really feel like doing the whole "wrong green" routine with the reference books and research, so does anyone have any four-colour pulp comics handy? I'm thinking some kind of cartoon villain thing might be fun.

I mean... I could pull up some random swatches for actual paints if you wanted to just gently caress around with colors.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Siivola posted:

I'm not opposed to just loving around, but I want something that scans as "bad guy" while also giving making dedicated hobbyists go "what the". Such as:

Just let me know what nation you want to pull from and I can get some colors going, if you want.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Mine was more for the cool muzzle brakes than anything else.

Edit: Its hard to have a field gun (Specifically) look good

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 19, 2023

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Seems weird to me that this would be a hot topic item recently by some peeps in the historicals. Do they not play video games? How wrong has it been for years to play Call of Duty or Battlefield XYZ where you're playing as Germans, or Soviets, or the bad Soviets, or Russians?

I definitely think its worthwhile to take a moment and give some thought about a game you play or why you enjoy "thing" from that game/event/war, but getting bent out of shape because I played Tigers vs IS-1s and everybody died seems like a bit much :shrug:.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's probably more to do with the surge in authoritarianism/neo-fascism that's been happening in regards to modern politics (both here in the US and elsewhere) over the last few years. I can understand why it might make someone feel a bit uneasy about playing the Germans in a WW2 game, or the Confederacy in an American Civil War game, when there are people proudly displaying some of the same symbolism and slogans in the present day.

I'd also say it's one of those things that just periodically pops up in regards to historical wargaming, every so often the topic of "do I really want to play the Germans in a WW2 game" comes up, because the person asking that question is usually worried they're going to be lumped in with a bunch of wehraboos. Normally I'd just joke and say "have the other side play the Russians, that way you've got two historically brutally repressive regimes fighting each other", but nowadays that joke doesn't seem quite as funny any more.

Yeah that's fair, if you're meticulously painting every model you own to be the exact shade of Otto Carius or whatever, you might be a weeaboo, but presumably you also don't play with racist pieces of poo poo. Ultimately, find your comfort level in terms of historical accuracy, sing a few bars of the MST3K theme, and play what you want against who you like.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Basic google searches tells me the typical loadout for a t34/85 was 55 rounds (or 65) (or 77?)

Whereas the Tiger I has about 95.

:shrug: what numbers were in the game? Or how is it represented?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Maybe if you played the superior board game you wouldn't have to worry about ammunition [Exception: Special Ammo or Low Ammo rules]

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:smuggo:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Count Thrashula posted:

I ran into it so much when I played Advanced Squad Leader. I'm not going to name him, but there's a guy who runs a pretty big ASL reseller and is known pretty well in the community, and I played in person with him a couple times because he lived near me.

His game room was entirely decked out in SS divisional flags and he had a mannequin dressed in German camo and had an MG42 hanging on the wall. And he has a tattoo of the guy from the cover of the Up Front board game (the uh, SS soldier).

But he was just proud of his German heritage and just had an interest in history, he didn't get why it was so offensive :jerkbag: gently caress that guy. He had an incredible game collection and gaming table and stuff but super wasn't worth it to be around all that.

Edit-- SS divisional emblem dice too, that made me think of it. And all of the super rare black-colored SS game pieces for ASL. And a wall of Panzer models. I could go on but gently caress that guy.

Is it the guy with the german-named website?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oof.