Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
They are looking great Commisar. Keep us up to date with work in progress shots please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

WIP shot (crappy pic sorry) from last night of the artillery limbers. Got 2 of these teams done last night. Just need basing now.

Oh also lilljonas, a good tip for 6mm painting is always use a shade lighter for your base colour on 6mm's than you would if you were painting larger scale figures.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Trouble Man posted:

No Pun Intended and I have chuckled about these little guys, but are they actually a lot of use? Oh, how I hope that they are!

My mate has a 28mm scale one he uses in our Rules Of Engagement games. Its ace!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I keep forgetting about this. Things look really dark in 6mm

Click here for the full 1200x333 image.

Take my Frogs for example- their uniforms should prety much be prussian blue (a very dark navy) but you try using that in 6mm and your minis look black from an arms length away. Ive ended up using Foundrys Sky Blue (the shade as the base colour and the base colour as the highlight) which on a 28mm figure would look ridiculous, but in 6mm looks about right to me.

I made the mistake with my first 6mm project, British moderns, and used the correct green and black on the camo schemes on the tanks and they look really really dark now, almost impossible to see the camo scheme from more than 6 inches away. hosed if I am going to repaint them all now- I am chalking it up to experience.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 10, 2010

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Here is another thing I am realising about 6mm - base your armour because then you can right what it is on the underside of the base, because I honestly can't tell some of these vehicles apart easily, or remember exactly what they are once I've got them out of the box!

Good idea.

My mate took a differnt approach (havent got any pics to hand unfortunately)- he left a small strip on the back edge of each base and printed a label with the nations flag (in his case West Germany) and the type of vehicle it is. It actually looks pretty cool, if you can get over the 'break in immersion' of seeing the labels on the table edge.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/Content/Forum/default.aspx

Join us Join us

These guys will help you out big time.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Failing that, Micromark is your friend.
http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/WebStore/storefront.aspx?ClientID=5

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Sweet. I would go join TMP but I can't get over a] the horrifying web design and b] every thread about "how should I paint X" or "could army Y field unit Z in 1985?" seems to become a bunch of veterans trading stories... so I just browse it occasionally...

TMP aint so bad, if you can get past the extreme right wing views of many of its posters (americans mainly) and the editors willingness to tolerate pro paedophile views.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

What? Sounds like a story.

LOL yeah.

OK quick drama filled over view.

TMP used to have lots of non gaming related boards, the biggest and most fun was the Current Affairs board, which like our very own D&D does, gets very lively at times.

Someone started a thread about the head of that Mormon church who had just been arrested for child abuse (he went ont he run, name escapes me now). A poster, who happened to be mormon started defending the mormon church and some of the actions of the alleged abuser, a huge poo poo storm errupted and a 50 odd page flame war started. The editor of TMP also a pretty hardcore mormon pretty much defended the other mormon poster who was in turn defending the child abuser. It got nasty, and the entire current affairs board got shut down under a huge amount of internet drama, with posters on rival UK based wargames board Frothers Unite http://www.frothersunite.com/ , stoking the flames big time.

All very silly (although said poster was very very loving creepy), and I actually miss the Current Affairs board they used to have.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

Quick Reaction Force is a UK company that makes various 15mm moderns. They have lots of different British infantry packs. At 2 quid/8 minis you can get away with a cheap skirmish game.

QRF are superb. I have their American Marines and a LAV25

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Hey Serotonin, what do you use to make aerials for 6mm vehicles/radio operators?

The nylon bristles from a dustpan and brush set.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Some more lovely photographs of stuff Im working on tonight.
Baccus 6mm French Generals for Black Powder.

General Desnouettes

Marshal Bessieres and Marshall Davout

When they are all based I will stick them in the lightbox.

Its hard to do close ups of 6mm figures as individually they only really work from a good arms length away.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Serotonin, I don't know how you avoid going loving insane painting 6mm infantry as well as you do

6mm is easier to paint than 28mm. Noone believes me.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Part of the 40th Army, 5th Motorized Rifle Division, somewhere in Herat province in the mid 80s

Also need a better way to photograph teeny models.
Nice.

Heres a hint, If you are using a white backgrounds, set your cameras expsoure compensation by +1 or 2 stops.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

All this talk of ww2 has got me itching to paint my German battlegroup in 10mm for BKC.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

They are great choices. My 28mm US 82nd Airborne are all Artizan- lots of the characters are based on the Band Of Brothers series.

Hang on, let me throw a couple of pics up.

EDIT

Click here for the full 1200x511 image.

Click here for the full 1200x606 image.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Elendil004 posted:

There are a couple modern warfare style games I've heard of, like Ambush Alley, to name one. Anyone have experience with them? Or can recommend an alternate?

Try reading the thread...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3248082&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post370503944

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Elendil004 posted:

OOps! I thought Commissar was linking all of those to the OP and I didn't see it there! Sweet though, thanks :)

Hes just lazy...

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

I didn't particularly think it was big enough to go in the OP, but it's there now.

I was joking! It wasnt really written with the intention of the OP. But cheers anyway

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

Ok, a general hobby question, maybe something we can put in the FAQ:

Flags. How do you guys make flags that look real at various scales?

I tend to keep it simple for 6mm and print off flags from the net

http://www.warflag.com/

No need for any fancy shenanigans at this scale.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

I haven't played AA, but from what I gathered from the write-up it really does sound like one of the better systems for a game of zombie apocalypse survival, with random zombie reinforcements and all.

Ive not played Ambush Z, but I can imagine it working superbly.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Well just priced up my 2500pt BKC2 army list for British 1st Armoured Division in North Africa, 1942 and it comes to nearly £50. Im thinking my Afrika Korp Panzer division is going to cost similar...

Oh well better get saving for the Salute Show in April then!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Guildenstern posted:

I'd love to get into historicals and have tried once, but I'm having a hard time finding a decent, fast-playing ruleset for Napoleonics. Are there any decent adaptations of DBA into the horse & musket period out there? I love its rules in principle, but my historical interests encompass primarily the early modern period. Pre-gunpowder stuff just has no appeal to me.

Are you after skirmish or grand scale?

I would recommend Black Powder for grand scale and Sharp Practice for skirmish.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

I was thinking Mongol.

Scale?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Morham posted:

Anyway, QRF minis are good quality...just thought people might like to know :)

Indeed they are and you are meking me feel guitly for not painting up the platoon of US Marines (and LAV25) I bought from them last year!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

http://i48.tinypic.com/2zxm6w1.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/332w9y9.jpg

I will build a lightbox eventually!

Yay! How big are those bases- they look very thick, or is it that they are not very big?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

muggins posted:

Anyone pick up Black Powder! yet? I really want to check it out but $53!

No noone at all. Hence why there have been numerous posts in this thread about it including a write up on it on page 1.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Anyone got any reccomendations for places to get 1/285 or 1/300 scale modern buildings? I'm looking for things like office blocks, fast food restaurants, homes that wouldn't be out of place in Western Europe or the USA. I can find lots of WW2 era stuff but not as much modern. I'd prefer solid models but papercraft would work at a push... so guides to scratchbuilding this kind of thing would help.

Timecast.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

No Pun Intended posted:

Anyone know some good painting tutorials for US Armour for FoW?

Not a tutorial as such, but this is my 10mm US armour division.

I basically used Vallejo Brown Violet, which was drybrushed up with Foundry Moss Shade and Foundry Moss highlight, then washed with devlan mud and then a very light drybrush of the moss highlight again.

http://serotonins.blogspot.com/search/label/Americans

Click here for the full 1200x564 image.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

Samurai!

Nicely done mate. How did you find painting them- was it as bad as you thought?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

It was really easy actually, with the only really difficult part being the back banners. The areas you paint are usually just require a dot of paint and then you move on. I followed that up with a single highlight for each colour that was even faster, like mere seconds per model. So it was pretty simple, but the ultimate example of batch painting.

Yeah it is easy. Thats what I try and tell everyone about 6mm, but most people wont beleive me.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Off to play our groups first game of Black Powder. We are doing the Retreat from El Perez scenario from the book in 6mm.

Trip report with pics if I remember later!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

You'd loving better!

Only took a couple of pics in the end due to the demands of being GM and they didnt come out very well. Soz.

But the game was superb. If not very long. It took nearly 15 turns before we finished, but saying that it only took 4 and a half hours, and when you conisder it was our first game so we were having to do some major rule book reading as we went, I think thats pretty drat good.

We played the Retreat From El Perez scenario as I have already said.
For those who havent seen the book, its a fictional scneario based on the British retreat to the coast during the Napoleonic wars Peninsular campaign.

Played from short edge to short edge- the 4 British brigades deploy in the middle of the board, and on the east edge over a small bridge on the road through a small town a small unit of French garrison troops deploy. The rest of the French force ( a large force of 5 brigades) start off board and come on the west edge througha large town.

The British objective is to get half or more of their force off the east board via the road leading from the bridge to the tabel edge.

We thought it would be a fairly quick game, as we failed to see how one small unit of crappy garrison troops could hold up the British retreat long enough. The Brit player decided to test this by pretty much turning his entire division towards the bridge and march for freedom. This was aided by the fact that the French player rolled like an arse and his troops limped on slowly through the town. The Brits left a ambush party in a farm complex of 2 artillery batteries and 2 small battalions of the green jacketed Rifles. Lurking to their flanks were 3 squadrons of dragoons and 2 horse artilery batteries on the hill.

I wont do a blow by blow as I doubt abyone will read this all, but the valiant garrison troops held up the British retreat for 10 turns, while the French slow march to the drums increased in speed as they sped twoards the bottleneck around the river. Some gung ho movement saw the dug in artillery in the fields able to do some substantial damage to a French cavalry brigade before they were eventually swept away by Heavy Dragoons. The rifles faired better, especially as the French player decided to ignore them.

The game ended with a massive pitched battle with the Brits deploying a brigade in line to cover the slow retreat of the rest of their forces over the bridge. The combat was very bloody as the Brits were slowly chipped away at. At the last turn, only 1 more battalion needed to leave the table having crossed the bridge, and only 1 battalion of Portuguese foot were left holding the west bank. At that point, some superb fire from the 95th rifles who had sprung fromt he fields onto the road to hold up 3 battalions of French line ifnantry who were attempting to reinforce the final push on the bridge did enough damage to break a brigade, leading to the French to reach their army break point.

We called the game at that point, with a very minor victory to the British.

It was a superb game. The rules are fast and easy to understand and it really felt like a Napoleonics game, with large formations of French marching in attack column on to the British infantry deployed in line, and with artillery blasting away and skirmishing riflemen picking off targets. An absolute hit for our gaming group, and we cant wait for some more.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 16, 2010

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

That looks great. If we had a bigger table avaialbel to us we would be so tempted to try it in 28mm

We played on a smaller table (8x4) using 6mm scale figures and altered the distances to cm.

Im really impressed with the rule set so far. Cant wait to try it again.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

One on left

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Hey Serotonin (or anyone else 6mm oriented) - how would you go about making 6mm camo netting? I was thinking cutting bits out of a pair of tights and then carefully glueing a few bits of flock to them...

Gauze bandages maybe? Never really tried.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Barry the Sprout posted:

Related to this, can someone tell me how to deal with the bases on these figures when I'm basing them. Something tells me I'm not meant to try and cut them off, but I think they'll look really out of place when properly based.

If properly based you should be able to disguise the integrated bases very easily.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

muggins posted:

Flames of War is basically WW2 arcade, whereas most historicals are charts and tables and 4500 morale rules

We have at least 12 people playing regularly at my club... great stuff!

Im not sure I agree. There are a poo poo load of excellent fast play rules out there. The WW2 one I play, Blitzkrieg Commander, makes FOW look overly charty and complex. It also gives a far better game in my opinion, and I know many club players who have switched over (the beauty being you can use your FoW figures without any modification at all.)

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

I just ordered some 300 more itsy bitsy samurai. Oh my. At least the weather is starting to get nice enough for me to spray paint primer. Looking at Killer Katanas, I will need roughly 200-250 bases to properly play out a major historical battle. That means... about 2500 painted miniatures all in all.

Help me.

This is why 6mm is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Oh well Black Powder has truely grabbed our gaming group by the wallets.

Looks like as well as doing it in 6mm, we are going to do it in 28mm. Just ordered an entire Infantry Brigade, Light Cav Brigade and some artillery (all Perrys). Im sure I will end up buying some more when I hit Salute 2010 in a couple of weeks time.

I will have to dust off my 28mm painting skills.