Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

No Pun Intended posted:

Except the aircraft Battlefront sell are 1:144.

I suppose if you figure the planes are "way up there", going with a smaller scale isn't too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Among some other news from Flames of War, you can now download PDFs of many armies' special rules to have handy: http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=278

They say it's to Know Your Enemy, but I think it'd also be useful to have at hand for your own army.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah, we played our first FoW game(s) last weekend with the Open Fire! box, and I didn't get why the did turrets/arcs like that. The front armor on a tank has nothing to do with where the turret is facing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Roma posted:

I got the 'Open Fire' starter set for FoW, but thought it wasn't a very good introduction to the game. It's good to have a small rulebook and a few tanks, but the introduction missions are so boring I struggled to get into them. I think they really need some infantry and maybe some artillery or something to make it a more fun introduction.

That said, I fully intend to get into this game. I just hope it's a lot more fun than the introduction missions were. I've read battle reports and it really seems to get great when you have a large variety of units.

My only other experience with wargaming are Games Workshop games.

Really? I had a lot of fun with the intro missions. They taught me quite a few things, at least about the armor rules. And I think tanks are less daunting for people to start with.

I mean, no, it's not Skull Pass or Macragge, but I thought it was a decent introduction (plus it's still cheaper than the main rulebook, and you get free armor).

Arquinsiel posted:

The logic is that your troops are not retards and if they see the back of the turret they'll aim up a bit rather than at the thickest part of the armour.

I'll admit I don't know if this is the case, but it would seem to me like a turret would be armored the same way all around.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin linked me to a lightbox on Amazon, but I also found this: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

And I thought people might be interested in that. It's probably good enough for taking pictures of miniatures for this (and other) threads. And I could probably justify a cardboard box and paper more than a full $40 setup to my wife. :p

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

Painting for the first time since my daughter was born 10 weeks old.

On the table tonight are Baccus' 6mm French Horse artillery limber teams.

How can a baby be born 10 weeks old?

Also, I've started basing my cavalry and assembling my artillery.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No lightbox, yet, but I wanted to take a picture of this American artillery piece I just based. It's my first!

http://i49.tinypic.com/rcpm5l.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/2uzy0ec.jpg

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

They are looking great Commisar. Keep us up to date with work in progress shots please.

I wonder if I should greenstuff some balls, or just buy tiny beads/ball bearings.

R.S. Gumby posted:

Rest of the camps are here:
http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/beesinmybeard/dbacamps/

Wow, very nice.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

I am looking for more varieties of 28mm US Marines/US army, etc. Black Scorpion does a really nice range, but they're limited, what else is out there?

This counts as historical right?

Try these guys: http://www.theassaultgroup.com/

EDIT: They sell them through WarStore, but they're special order.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ashcans posted:

Are you sure about that? I emailed the Warstore in June to ask about ordering some TAG stuff through them, and Neil said that they had stopped doing business with them. If they've taken them back up on a special-order basis that would be great news, because ordering internationally is always a pain.

Hmm, maybe you're right. I saw the note about special orders but didn't realize there are actually no miniatures of TAG's on the website.

These guys are in the US: http://www.warpathgames.com/wholesale/warpath.php?m=list&mfg=TAG

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

pro paedophile views.

What? Sounds like a story.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

What book will I find the list for these? Fortress Europe? If so, that's what I'll get next.

That's the book I'd recommend. It's basic enough to get anyone started, and therefore works with most of the opponents you'll be fighting in Late War.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

When I compared the pricing with WarStore (which is US, of course), the official FoW minis actually came out cheaper.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Morham posted:

Hey guys I picked up that Ambush Alley game that got posted earlier on a whim and it looks pretty fun, and even if it never gets played I'd like some 15mm modern infantry (preferably British, though American will do if I have to) to paint up...I'm UK based so do any of you UK fellows have a good go to store for stuff like that?

(I'd rather not have to ship it over from America or where ever if it can be avoided).

http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/pages/page.php?Ultra-Modern-14

lilljonas posted:

Warstore, Strelkovy Platoon, 40 infantry, $18.00
Old Glory, infantry bag, 50 infantry, $18.00

That's the one that I can find that is the most favourable to Battlefront miniatures, if you go on a per miniature cost.

Due to the bag sizes however, I'd say you end up paying a little bit more with OG but you end up with far more miniatures, some of which you might not have use for. If you are a beginner I can totally see the point with going the official miniatures since you get them all sorted out, with no extras and with bases and all that.

Also I'm a dirty European who'd have to pay extra shipping from the Warstore anyway, and compared to local prices the OG is much cheaper than what FoW retail for over here.

Yeah I included shipping in my calculations, which obviously would an issue outside of the US.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Barry the Sprout posted:

Advanced Squad Leader

I used to have a game very similar to this called Tet Offensive. I wonder if it used the same rules.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Eh, you can have stupid rules in any game.

I think it's more that the miniature games have miniatures - it's another aspect of the hobby. For people who don't like minis and/or measuring distance, &c., a hex-based chit game is better.

I like both.

EDIT: Do people actually collect these "patches" that come in FoW blisters?

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 12, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I got all my FoW Soviets, now I just have to put them on their bases so I can play (and then prime, paint, and flock them).

I bought too many HQs, I think; I didn't realize the Battalion HQ came with so much. Oh well. One can never have enough Soviets!

EDIT: Does it matter if I throw in some of the SMG guys for my platoons, since the blisters come with them, even though I'm not using them? I'm not sure how WYSIWYG Flames of War is.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 13, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sokrateez posted:

Alright so after stumbling upon this thread (and by extension, historicals), I've taken quite an interest in Flames of War. Not too long ago, I played 40k, and as a result many of my friends now play, but I'd grown tired of it. So I'll need new brushes and paints and such, and was planning on getting the ones from the site to correspond with the painting suggestions in the books. Is this a good idea?

Also, since I have no access to a computer right now, I'm forced to use my PS3s browser. As a result, I can't actually see what each of the box sets contain. I was thinking of starting an American para company and German grenadierkompanie (two armies so I can lure my friends from 40k :smug: ), but I 'm not sure if I should get 2 platoons and an HQ or one of the box sets.

Anything else I should know that isn't common knowledge about the game would be cool to know before I drop hundreds on it too.

The "official" paint and tools are probably more expensive than non-official ones, and not necessarily better.

The para company box 4 command teams, 5 bazooka teams, 2 60mm mortar teams, and 18 Rifle/MG teams.

There are a couple of grenadierkompanie boxes I see on their site: The big Afrikakorps box and the SS box.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

There's the Festungkompanie which has: 5 command teams, 2 snipers, 3 8cm mortars, 3 light mortars, 1 Panzerschrek team, 1 Puppchen team, 18 MG Teams, 3 Goliaths demolition carriers, 2 R-35 tank bunkers, and 4 MG tobruks.

The SS-Panzergrenadierkompanie box has: 6 command teams, 4 with Panzerfaust options, 3 sniper teams, 2 Panzershreck teams, 2 optional Panzerfaust SMG teams, 4 HMG teams, and 3 7.5cm PaK 40 guns.

There are others, too, like Sturmkompanie and Sperrverband Infantry.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Man, I have no idea at all who I'd play in Early War.

Do you think they'll go all the way back to '39? I'm not sure playing the French would be all that exciting.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I could see playing Poland, as a descendant of people who fled Poland to avoid the Nazis.

Plus, bringing out horse cavalry against tanks would be hilarious.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No Pun Intended posted:

The problem for me is my interest in the PT lies in the Air and Naval campaigns and not the Island hopping jungle bashing that FoW would cover.

I'm in the same boat (er, no pun intended). I'd much rather play a sea game.

Speaking of that, is the Axis & Allies naval game any good?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

At the very beginning of Fortress Europe, it explains how to base each type of unit. Rifle teams just have rifles. Rifle/MG teams have one base with 4 rifles and an MG, and one base with 4 rifles.

As I'd asked previously, it seems throwing in an SMG here or there isn't a big deal.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Well, then that brings me back to my question. Do SMGs count in that rule? If so, I may have to buy more infantry.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Devlan Mud posted:

As long as you have the proper amount of men and machine guns on a base, replacing a rifle with an SMG here or there probably won't make much of a difference. Personally I wouldn't put more than one on a base.

I have this: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1354

There wouldn't be more than one SMG on a base, and there would be bases without them at all. I just wanted to make sure it was okay. Statwise, it almost makes sense anyway, since Rifle/MG Teams have a higher RoF than straight Rifle Teams, and it would be a good way to identify them on the table.

Also I think Fortress Europe mentions in the beginning that you can kind of do that, but it wasn't clear. It definitely says you can change the look to suit your needs, so long as the rules are the same.

I kind of like that about FoW.

EDIT: Also, with respect towards the war in the Pacific, I think you'd need a lot more skirmish-type rules, with almost everything on small bases with no more than 2 models per base.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 16, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

EDIT: NM

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Added to the OP.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I didn't particularly think it was big enough to go in the OP, but it's there now.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Ok, a general hobby question, maybe something we can put in the FAQ:

Flags. How do you guys make flags that look real at various scales?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

What size should I make the flags for FoW? I guess I could just go do the math on my own....

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

What! Ok, this isn't historical, technically, but I want it: http://www.ambushalleygames.com/ambushz.html

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Scale Creep miniatures may be selling a bunch of stuff on clearance:

quote:

Time to Refocus

Having conducted most of our year-end inventory, we have also conducted a busines review. We have looked at each of our ranges and are making a determination whether or not we should go forward with them. After careful consideration we will be dropping several ranges. We will either be marking these down for clearance, selling them to other dealers or clearing them out on E-bay. Stay tuned for details!

At this time we have definitely decided to drop the following ranges:

* ESLO Terrain
* Manorhouse Terrain
* Mindstalkers 40mm Fantasy
* Mark Fenlon 25mm ACW Figures
* All boardgames
* Victrix, Warlord Games and Wargames factory plastic figures
* Mega Miniatures
* My Little Ship Company
* Osprey Guides
* Resina planet
* OGRE
* Tales of War Miniatures
* New Testudo
* Legio Heroica

In addition we will be having stock reduction sales on ranges we are overstocked on, such as Resistant Roosters 15mm World War II figures. All of this will allow us to refocus on our core rangeas, as well as freeing up cash to put into Flagship Games publications, bulking out stock in QRF, Black Hat and more.

Might be a good place to keep an eye on for decent deals, especially on things like Victrix, Warlord Games, and Wargames factory.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm excited about almost finishing my soviets (basing them - I still have to paint them, but that likely won't happen until spring).

Then I remember how many 10mm AWI minis I have to base.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I haven't lost any pages yet, but I can tell that won't last forever. It's a shame, because the whole point of a mini-rulebook is portability, but all that handling is going to make this thing fall apart.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah, I can't recommend Black Powder enough. The ruleset is really written for quick* games, and it's very well done.

*Quick for a wargame, at least.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Welp!

I just bought Ambush Alley (and Ambush Z).

This thread is just as bad for my wallet as the Warham thread used to be. :(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Both DBA and Field of Glory should have rules for that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

They both have writeups in the first posts: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=370444861&forumid=234

I know WarStore sells Field of Glory, but that's really only good if you're in the US.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

In IRC we were coming up with some scenarios/forces for Ambush Alley that would be less offensive:

* Panama
* Grenada
* Chechnya
* Israel/Palestine (okay, that might offend)
* Some kind of Blood Diamond Conflict scenario

I guess I just see no reason to make it US v. Arabs or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

West coast vs East coast?

That would be better with Force on Force.

It does bring up some other ideas like SWAT v. Rioters, &c.

Ooh maybe IRA v. Black & Tans.