Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As per Lord Commissar's suggestion, I'll ask my Flames of War questions here.

I bought the Start Set and German late war infantry (GE722), and I want to play a Panzer Grenider force. For a force, I want to be able to field something that contains Panzers, tank destroyers, and half track mounted infantry. From what I know, the best kind of force I'd want is the stuff that would have been defending against Operation Market Garden or assaulting during the Battle of the Bulge.

Though I do not want to field any SS units. I know that they wouldn't be Einsatzgruppen forces, but still, it would be uncomfortable for me.

Anyways, is there a force where the organization appears on the website, or is there a book I should get that has said forces. Considering both of them are major events, I'd assume there would be books that deal with both events.

Also, can someone tell me if Firestorm Campaign is a stand alone game, or is it a campaign system?

Lastly, is there a guide to say which citadel paints correspond with the WW2 colours? I googled around, and was unable to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Well, I bought that set because It was the only German infantry blister they had at the store. And I wanted some infantry to go with my stug's. I origonally wanted to get a Hetzer, my favorite German vehicle.

I saw the fortress Europe book but I wasn't sure what It contained, and figured there would be something more specific, or maybe even free on the website. My boss is all :smug: because his Canadian rules were just PDFs.

So that book and probably the GBX09 Panzer Grendier box would be the next things to get? What box comes with assult rifle guys, as I saw they have a stupid number of shots per turn.

I'm not worried about tanks and other AFVs, because pretty much any tank I can buy I'll be able to use.

I was seriously considering soviets or Americans, but when my boss told me he'll be doing Canadians and my coworker will do Italians, I figured Germans would be the better choice, because they fought both of those.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LintMan posted:

Are you after Armoured Panzergrenadiers or Motorized?

Mechanized, so tanks and halftacks.

quote:

Hells Highway has FJ and A Bridge to Far will most likely focus on the SS units in the area. Fortress Europe will be good buy as it covers the generic lists up to August 1944 but do not feature the Hetzer or Assault rifle armed platoons except for some scout units. If you want Hetzers have a look at the eastern front books or wait till the Bulge book is out.

Okay, that works. The books aren't too expensive, and having a number of available lists just gives me more choices.

quote:

Good core of any German infantry list is:

HQ
Infantry platoon
Infantry platoon
Anti Tank platoon with Pak 40's
Small Mortar platoon (for smoke and pinning)

What book will I find the list for these? Fortress Europe? If so, that's what I'll get next.

quote:

On the old BF site there was a list of GW to Vallejo chart. However the site is gone and GW have changed their paint range.

Pick up 70882 Middlestone for German tanks and guns, 830 German Field Grey for the infantry.
The BF books have good colour guides and I use Vallejo paints for everything now.

I have about a million GW paints, so buying any others wouldn't really make sense moeny wise. All need to know is that Chardonite Granite is pretty much the Grey Green of Late war uniforms.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Arquinsiel posted:

To clarify this for you, they are both Mechanised but Armoured and Motorised are different things. Armoured are transported in SDK 251 halftracks. Motorised are transported in SDK 70 trucks. There's slight mobiliy differences on the table comparing on/off roading abilities and there's a rough 30% increase in points to use the Armoured variety (also the models will be easier to find).

I reccomend getting the following:
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=518 X 1
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=506 X 2

Or just get one platoon box and buy four halftracks individually to mount your current platoon. In the end you will probably find you'll want to use three full platoons at least once so getting a box AND four halftracks probably won't hurt in the long run.

Excellent advice. It's not too much money. It's a little overwhelming with it's organization, but their packages really seem to be done well.

Tanks, halftracks and infantry, that's what I want. My boss is going to take me out to the store that sells them locally again so I can pick up that book and probably something else.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Whomever told me to get Fortress Europe, thanks! It was exactly what I was looking for.

The Gepanzerte Panzergrendierkompany is the force I was looking for. Just need some more infantry and half tracks for them. Probably support them with from Panzer IVs and the Stugs I got from the starter set.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Святейшая гречиха!

That's why I was seriously thinking of starting Russians, just have a massive number of guys, but then I realized how much that would cost.

Though for my Mechanized Company, I'm trying to figure out what to get. It's probably best if I just pick up GBX09 Panzergrenadier Platoon and GBX17 Panzergrenadier Company HQ, plus some half tracks for the infantry I already have. At least that's what It looks like.

I'm not going to screw myself if I take every mobile, and not take any field guns am I?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lord Commissar posted:

It wasn't that expensive, really. Not compared to 40k, at any rate.

It's about the same for me really. Though I'm not sure how much the 75mm halftracks are going to cost me in Canadian $.

Maybe I should just save my money and get the big set. I think I saw a mech company one for about $230 or so.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Right now I'm looking at them thinking which colour is better, Camo Green or Chardonite Granite.

I've studied a lot of German uniforms, and their colours do change from era and front.