Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm considering picking up some of the Perry Miniatures Sudanese to act as allies for my Orc army in Kings of War, but browsing through their ranges had led me to look at the War of the Roses and Napoleonic series too; and I'm still undecided about which I'd prefer. However, the pressing question is: are the game systems tied into WoR-era or Darkest Africa/colonialism popular enough for me to consider? Or like KoW is it a case that I should expect to buy both sides of a conflict?

Thanks!

EDIT: Further question slightly related, I assume SAGA will have the same issues (buy both sides) - do Crescent & Cross and the expanded armies add much more than the default? Ideally I'd prefer to go core rulebook for frugality but not at the expense of fun :)

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ Thanks, I'm still debating a system and scale, but do want to try other things.

I'm going through this thread back from page 30 or so and working my way forward. After looking through the Saga rulebook though, it seems weighted towards the battleboard and that was something that my friend and I didn't like about Malifaux (oh look! I have THIS ability! and THIS ability! surprise!). With that in mind and the early pages of this thread being heavily into 15mm, DBA, FoG, and so on I'm also checking that out.

From what I can see however, DBA seems very dry. We get a decent fix out of strategic playing with Kings of War (i.e. positioning being more powerful than individuals, and so on) - it would be nice to have some asymmetric, heroic-type game. I guess Historicals may not fit the bill, but I'm still very interested in the low cost of entry for both the 6-15mm army games and 28mm skirmish games. Is there something that fits the bill in either stead?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

That seems to be more or less what I'm seeing: scissors, papers, rock with many rules that seem to be more competitive than narrative (i.e. terrain must be X big, this army must ally/fight against this army) - I'm all for optional extras and historical accuracy, but I'm fairly certain this is not the kind of game I'm up for - what a shame!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Sorry, I don't mean to lambast anyone's baby - what I mean is that Kings of War for me fulfills the role of a balanced, tactical, manouvre-based game with relatively little excitement/surprise, and so that is not a hole I need plugged.

After collecting my thoughts and for some consideration I think I can narrow down my choices, depending on my friend's choice of era. I reckon the game needs to be Skirmish based (i.e. fortune swings/ease/unpredictability) and Cheap/Easy to Paint (i.e. 15mm/bulk plastic), which rules out pre-dark age and medieval thru mechanisation.

If I want dark-ages, it seems that SAGA is my best bet using GrippingBeast plastics to put together Saxon/Scot warbands: 40ish 28mm models, 40gbp + rulebook/dice/etc. Are Pendraken appropriate? i.e. http://www.pendraken.co.uk/Dark-Ages-c10/ANGLO-SAXON-sc32/ too?

If I want to go WW2 then Bolt Action using WGF/Plastic Soldier Company models in 28mm or 15mm seem equally doable (http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_22_24_49&products_id=135) or even piggy-backing the Flames of War starter set into BA basing and have a two-for-one. Again, are Pendraken appropriate for BA rules/army layouts?

quote:

For 6mm you should not overlook trying something Napoleonic,
I really don't think Napoleonic will inspire my buddy, while I'm a fan of the era in general - do you have any particular rulesets/ranges I can check to be on the safe side?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 21, 2014

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Just because I could go with this one as plastic 28mm: https://www.grippingbeast.com/product.php?ItemID=2727 but that 15mm seems much easier to paint, and if those are in the quantities I think (i.e. 10 minitures for 3 quid) then may be pretty affordable too.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

6mm Saga is even cheaper

But my group may be the only ones doing it at that scale.

do you have anything with a dice or a finger in-frame so I can see the insanity?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

That is insanity. The whole board must be no more than 30cm a side!

I was looking at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph8vDlWZa24 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk8vSLPLR4s I'm taking back the idea that DBA/Impetvs is written off, not for my usual buddy, but my chess-loving colleague. I'm still trying to find a way to appeal to his historical/tactical side and play down the neckbeard aspect, we'll see how that pans out.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I can't seem to find any links to the 1/72 High Seas stuff, could you let me know?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I think that pre-gunpowder may be a better sweet spot for me at the moment, and short of experience my plan as it stands is thus: I'll get three armies suitable for DBA. Then, I can expand into DBM/BBDBA/FoG/Impetvs if neccesary. Saga does seem like a really interesting game too, but I'm just shy of those battle-boards.

I was thinking Viking, Welsh and Anglo Saxon would be a great trio to pick up since they seem to play radically differently. The one criteria (having spoken to buddy) is that he wants to play barbarians/vikings - are there other suitably diverse but appropriately opposed trios that include a savage faction?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I apologise if it feels like I'm monopolising the thread but I can feel the neckbeard sprouting as we discuss. I'm playing a demo of DBA with myself and I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around the rules for multiple combats/flank charges, etc.

- If a North Greek 3Cv charges the flank of 2x4Sp in column formation, do both elements turn to face? Since they were otherwise unengaged I assumed yes. If no, would I roll two combats (one for each of the Spears? Or if not would I only roll a dice for the 3Cv?)
- If that 3Cv wins and causes the 4Sp to recoil it will push back the other 4Sp behind it. That rear Spear unit is in a bad place though and I ruled it as destroyed, since it will:
-- a) graze the front of another Greek unit
-- b) bump into the flank of another friendly Spear unit that it can't push back or pass through (since THAT unit has a different facing)
- General Flank Questions:
-- Can I use my 'half a width shift' on a flank charge to make sure my front corners are hitting the enemy front corner for that sweet flank penalty?
-- Does a unit that flank charges an already engaged enemy get to do anything, or does it just contribute to the front-engagement via above penalty and instakill if the enemy loses?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 22, 2014

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you very much - just in regard to that first point, I've just attached a quick pick of the situation, to confirm you say the middle step is true? What if the unmarked grey units were part of a larger group? I can see that LH, CA and PS all confirm to a targetted element in a group, but it doesn't say what happens with other units (which I guess is even more curious, since you mentioned that flanking doesn't provide combat, only bonuses to existing combat)

- The whole group turns (unlikely)
- The flanking unit must pick an element to attack, and only that unit turns
- The flanking unit must pick an element to attack, and that unit + supporters turns
- The flanking unit must pick an element to attack, and any unit in contact with the flanker turns

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK, so can I just play this back to make sure I understand? When flanking multiple elements, the charger has to pick a single target. That target rotates and the charger can shuffle up to half a base-length. Any other elements remain in place. Combat occurs between the two facing units. Recoil occurs as normal. In my example: the 4Sp would have been pushed back, but since the whole column didn't rotate, it wouldn't have been destroyed due to the push-back constriction.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 23, 2014

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I was originally set on 6mm figs on 15-mm scaled bases; but I feel like I'm drinking crazy juice! DBA armies are calling for one or two units of 3Bw, and yet I buy them from Baccus in packs of 48?! Even if I use double the amount of 6mm figures on the bases I'm going to have FORTY archers left over! https://www.baccus6mm.com/includes/products/earlymed/viking_range.php Doubling the count of models on a base feels like it's going to add more confusion but I will bow to the knowledge of those who have already learnt the game: is it a better way forward for massed-battles?

I looked at Pendraken incase of 15mm figures instead (http://www.pendraken.co.uk/Dark-Ages-c10/NORSE-sc35/) and they seem to be more appropriate in volume - one pack of Hird/Bondi/Archer/Berzerker each should pretty much do it and the figure-count might be more appropriate for the dark ages.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Great! How do you keep your 3Bd separate from your 4Bd? Or is it all contextual (fewer guys, different hats, etc.) ?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thanks, I wasn't thinking in terms of accuracy, rather book-keeping in the heat of the battle - I guess contextual is the answer there, and those units look fantastic. I think I'd like a little space on my bases so I'm going to triple rather than quadruple the figure count, giving me this:

Viking - 12 Warband (Berzerkers), 120 Blades (Axemen?), 12 Bows
Anglo Saxon - 36 Warband (Huscarls), 96 Spearmen (Fyrd), 6 Psiloi (scouts)
Welsh - 72 Auxiliary, 18 Psiloi (scouts) 6 Light Horse (Teulu), 9 Longbow

I reckon I can get a single lot of bows to perform double-duty, and represent the Psiloi with more sparsely distributed Ax/Wb models. 33gbp for the whole lot seems very reasonable. What's the go-to source for magnetic bases?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Oh god I just can't stop myself: Marian Romans vs Germans, Vikings vs Angles, Mongols vs Sung Chinese - PLEASE SOMEONE JUST TELL ME WHICH TO GET.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Gosh, that is so cool! I hope that I'll have enough left over from my Baccus order to get in on that too. I decided to err for a more cinematic pairing of Marian Romans and Suebi (for the Barbarian aspect), so now all I need to do is make sure I'm clear on the rules and get painting. I'm getting my army lists from DBAOL (http://www.dbaol.com/armies/army_59_figure_1.htm and http://www.dbaol.com/armies/army_57_figure_1.htm) so if there is something hugely wrong please let me know.

I am going through DBA2.2+ from WADBAG for the rules (http://www.wadbag.com/DBAGuidePlus/v2.2PlusUnofficialGuide_double.pdf and http://www.wadbag.com/V2.2+/V2.2PlusPlaysheet.pdf) and they seem pretty reasonable, but I hear DBA 3.0 is now out too. Is that worth considering?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Those look fantastic! Did you file-down the tabs under the feet of the soldiers for that flat look? How did you base?

I explained DBA to my buddy and he's very excited to try it. I seem to have caught the disease however, because I've already worked out with the purchase of one pack each of Triarii and Auxilia I can field Polybian Romans, and with some substitution of Cv for LH/KN any Roman army from the Early Romans to Late Eastern Imperial. I then started reading this book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commentarii_de_Bello_Gallico and now I'm considering that while Ariovistus's germanii will be a great enemy for my Caesarian/Marian Army, a Gallic Force under Vercingetorix would be an easy addition: Only a few chariots, some fanatical infantry, cavalry and slingers.

While I'm trying to keep my hat on and not go crazy about this, I have a very specific question: I have read that the Marian Roman army is meant to be 'one of the best' DBA armies because it's so blade-heavy. I'm happy to tweak this into a Polybian Roman army with more purchases to soften it up, but in the meantime what tips should I give my opponent to level the field?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

While I'm sitting on my hands waiting to get my 6mm DBA stuff, can someone give me the low-down of Force-on-Force and Chain of Command? I like the idea of both to use with 1/72 on the same 3' square table as my proposed DBA board; but having leafed through both rules I just can't see how they'll play in the wild. I have spent most of the day following Force-on-Force podcasts, videos and reading the rules.

It seems to have a great solid base: statistics are based on troop quality - better troops roll higher sided dice, weapons add more dice, defences add dice to save and so on. Active/Reactive turn types and un/opposed rolls and so on seem to work well. However, as the rules went on I found them piling more and more: ambush, reacting to ambush, overwatch reacting to reactiopns to ambush, and so on. Casualties are great in principle, but dependents, civilians, VIPs, POWs and how they all work with Morale, Confidence and so on sounds awfully complex. It looks like it would bog down extremely quickly and the scenarios seem to suffer from the same cloying idea: while great in principal, they are defined to the exact weapon-loadout per trooper and orientation of buildings. I haven't seen a battle-report and I'm just reading AARs though, so i'd like to ask how the game flows - and how one would go about balancing non-prescribed scenarios?

I am going to read through Chain of Command tonight, as I've just finished watching the following:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiT70m6CJO8

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

moths posted:

I'm eventually going to paint up some 28mm SS-Charlemagne to fight my Soviets on a last days of Berlin table. Although that's so far off and there are so many projects in between...

I am so torn about this, because I've been reading the Fall of Berlin book by Anthony Beevor and on one hand it seems like it would be AMAZING: stories of the house fighting, volkssturm with panzerfausts, final pushes in and out of the zentrum and so on - but the level of human suffering (much like Stalingrad) seems so completely out of proportion. I understand it's a game and there are very different terms to moving toy-mans and RPing a Russian platoon gang raping women in a shelter - but I just find it so hard to motivate myself in a positive way.

Listening to Caesar's commentaries and he often mentions 'with no casualities, only a few injuries' or 'they submitted and we instructed neighbouring tribes not to bother them' - the contrast between classic and total war is so striking, when read in parallel.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ Vicious circle really: WW1 Germany failed at propaganda by portraying enemies as stupid or witless, so when the battle came there was a big surprise. The Allies made their protrayal as demons which worked. This was carried out to its logical extent by Nazi germany with all the attendant holocausts you can consider; and it's adoption forced the hand of the Soviets in return.

Seriously though, alot of rape.

Arquinsiel posted:

This is a mistranslation caused by civilian misunderstanding of military terms TBH. He basically said "nobody got hurt, except for those that did".

Is this a mistranslatiopn from military to civilian, or from language? The start of the commentary I'm reading speaks about the honesty of it's account (compared to the Civil war book later) and 'historians have found no challenge to the accuracy of this recount'. I am speaking broadly of course and there are exceptions as Livy recounts:

quote:

"So many thousands of Romans were dying ... Some, whom their wounds, pinched by the morning cold, had roused, as they were rising up, covered with blood, from the midst of the heaps of slain, were overpowered by the enemy. Some were found with their heads plunged into the earth, which they had excavated; having thus, as it appeared, made pits for themselves, and having suffocated themselves.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've played a quick game of Song of Blades and Heroes as a fantasy skirmish and I can see that Songs of Drums and Shako is also available. I've had a quick flip through the rules and it seems very similar in mechanics (that is to say quite abstracted and heroic instead of grognardy). I assume that with a more focus on long-range fire that cover would factor quite highly to avoid potshots across no-man's land.

All of the AARs I've read unfortunately have devolved into shooting matches across a field or whatnot, with little in the way of tactical manouvering or close combat. Has anyone played this and/or have anything to add?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

http://ambient-mixer.com/ is pretty good for that too - you can mix in different effects or pick one of the predefined ones. I'm going to give it a shot on my next narrative game.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

In FoW does 'late war' cover both Stalingrad and Berlin?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm trying to remain impartial about what gun-oriented wargame to play (hence my question earlier) but I've just watched all of Fury and it's not helping matters. Gosh, that Tiger! Those Shermans!

Is there anything I should know before thinking about Germany (opponent wants to play) vs a particular enemy/era? I'm leaning towards Brits/Early, since my favorite Soviet theatres are split between Mid/Late.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've used it frequently for Kings of War - will the whole thing expire, or just the FoW section?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I bought a whole bunch of paints for my Warmachine models in Wehrmacht/Panzer colors and I've got the bug for some Bolt-Action too - I've seen a couple of people using the WGF or Perry Miniatures to put together a 1000pt force. Has anyone got a link to some well produced video batreps which don't involve a) beasts of war b) cosplay?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Indeed, I watched a few of the CoC videos and I have a copy of the rulebook around somewhere - how does it compare rules-wise to BA (for someone who's played neither).

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I like the idea of the jump-off points, and I like the idea of the infantry + support; but the command dice thing is really killing it for me - it seems so hilariously convoluted.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I've been looking through CoC and BA rules while we've been having this discussion and I'm having a hard time working out how the melee rules work when the rubber hits the road for BA: the combination of remove-all-pins and 'you roll dice and one side dies' seems quite both quite arbitrary and lethal.

For CoC I'm considering introducing my friend to the idea, but since I'll need to pick up two forces beforehand so there's no rush. Would it be accurate to describe the cliffnotes of CoC like so:

* Forces deploy markers in sequence, and are locked when one side meets the other. Jump-off points are presented 6" from these markers when used.
* The game is divided into alternating phases (where commanders move their troops) and turns (where long-term effects like smoke, shock wear off)
* The actions a commander can play in each phase is determined by his order dice - rolls of up to four relate to units a commander can activate (team, squad, junior leader, senior leader - with cascading implications) rolls of five add to your special abilities, and rolls of six contribute to ending the present turn.

If one could succinctly divide BA and CoC from a player-perspective, would it be accurate to say that BA is more like 40k and WW2 Arcade, and CoC is on a totally different foundation.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm looking at seeing if I can cobble together lists which would work for CoC and BA, I'm looking at the 1939 Poland/German lists. The Polish force has a +5 rating and the German Wehrmacht has a +1 rating. So, unless I'm totally mistaken - this means that the Germans will get a +4 bonus to their support roll for a given scenario and the Poles nothing? I'm trying to flesh this out a little further, so please bear with me and let me know if I'm mistaking anything. The majority of scenarios have 2d6+modifier for defender and half of that roll for attacker, so...

On the usual 2D6+modifer roll, it means Germans will on average get a support roll of 11 (7+4) defending, and 7 attacking ((7/2)+4), - so something like a Panzer IV + Sniper Team + mortar battery (depending on attack/defend). Translated to BA points that's a lieutenantwith riflemen adjutants (116), 3 infantry section with MG34s (123*3), sniper (50) Panzer IV (210), Mortar (50) - 795pts.

The Poles will get an average support roll of 7 defending (since no bonus) or 3 attacking (7/2). So a Mortar Team + Barbed wire + 7TP (again depending on attack/defend). Roughly translated to BA that's a HQ/AT Team/Mortar Team (158pts) plus three infantry sections with BARs (165pts each) plus a 7TP and another Mortar team (165pts) - for a total of 820pts.

Is this roughly accurate? Here are the two lists I'm using: http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Poland-Infantry-1939.pdf and http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Germany-Infantry-19391.pdf For Bolt-Action I'm guesstimating using the points values here http://store.warlordgames.com/products/1000pts-blitzkrieg-german-army and http://store.warlordgames.com/products/1000pts-polish-army/

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Prior to dumping all of my savings into 28mm WW2 I figured it was a prudent step to at least play a few games with my DBA armies from a few pages back,so I'm painting up my Bacchus 6mm now, in preparation for a game in the new year. I picked up enough Romans and Germans for for Marian Roman and Germanic Barbarians, but I've bought a few additions for more flexibility: a pack of spears to field Camillan or Polybian Romans, and a pack of Chariots to field Scots-Irish, Gauls or Germans.

I've heard that Marian Romans are pretty powerful with 8 blade-units, am I overestimating how important this is?

I keep seeing different army lists around online, and since I'm using DBA 2.2+ I'd really prefer not to buy a bunch of books. I understand that it's preferable, but I really only need to know if a couple of lists are correct:

Camillan: 2x3Cv, 3x4Bd, 5x4Sp, 2x2Ps
Polybian: 2x3Cv, 6x4Bd, 2x4Sp, 2x2Ps
Marian: 2x3Cv, 8x4Bd, 1x4Bd or 3Cv or 2Ps, 1x2Ps
----
German: 1x3Cv/4Bd, 6x3/4Wb, 2x3/4Wb or 2Ps, 3x2Ps
Scots-Irish: 3xLCh, 1xLCh or 3Wb or 2Ps, 5x3Wb, 3x2Ps
Gallic: 2xLCh or 3Cv, 2x3Cv, 6x3Wb, 2x2Ps
----

Can someone give me a quick y/n if possible?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ Lovely, flames of war:?

lilljonas posted:

I'm away and don't have any lists on me, but I know that the Gallic army you posted is exactly the one I have.

Perfect, I can assume the rest are fine then. No [GEN] units are specified, do I just nominate one?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you sir - I was looking at Early German yes, but you say there are 8 lists now?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Indeed, but I guess the great thing about ancients and late antiquity is how many of the forces only have scant record, which allows one to play a number of armies but use the same troop elements.

I know this may tip me over the edge into full-on grognard, but Wikipedia suggests Republican/Imperial Roman uniforms were either white or red, with white cloaks for commanders: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Roman_military_clothing - is this roughly correct? Various Roman forces painted online show blue, green, yellow uniforms and gold armor. Shield designs seem to be uniformly red with gold or yellow designs (wings, wreaths, or geometric patterns). Is this roughly correct? Same question would apply to a paint-scheme for the barbarian tribes, but I gather completely-random is the name of the game: are there any colors that would be off-limits? I assume purple, right?

I've done a little research from the evolution of the Roman army from Early through Camillan, Polybian, Marian and Imperial - it seems the trend is less spears and more blades, and then an influx of auxilia under the empire. I'm really having to sit on my hands to not start picking up more and more forces, 'if only I bought Auxilia and a trebuchet, then I could field Imperial armies, if I based up some barbarian cavalry as light horse, I could field Brits and Picts too' it's a slippery slope when you're only paying £5 for 96 soldiers ( http://baccus6mm.com/ )

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ Perfect, that's more or less what I was expecting and works nicely in my favor. My assumption for purple was it was my understanding it was a rare dye, but there you go.

lilljonas posted:

I'm no Roman expert so I won't touch that question, but army bloat is the name of the game in this hobby. My Later Carthaginian just happened to get enough Gauls to also be a Gaul army, and then I had enough Spanish auxilia to kind of make a Spanish army, and then you get all these Greek mercenary hoplites that are just waiting to be expanded, and then holy poo poo you have the entire Hellenistic world to explore and you're lost.

It's awesome, is what I'm saying.
Yes, and the flexibility is bewildering - As a kid I was used to Warhammer 40k 2nd Edition, (thinking of the black codex), and then Warhammer - moving from that to Kings of War (which has DBA-like regiment bases with no casualty removal) was a shift, and this is one even further.

Eight cav to a base looks nice, and gives me 24 roman cavalry left. If I place five on a base for Light Horse (you know, for when I end up fielding early, middle, late west and late east romans too), that still leaves me a baker's dozen left over. I guess they'll provide good scenic fodder for my base-camp.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

DBA 2.2+ Marian Roman Army

The Marian Republican Army represents the forces commanded by Caesar during the Gallic Campaign (about 50-40bc), as I had just finished De Bello Gallica (Caesar's diaries from this time), this was a complete no-brainer choice. The major differences between the Marian Roman armies and those preceding was that soldiers were no longer required to be landed, but would be granted land upon retirement - this meant a standing army could be maintained, and whose retirement and welfare was directly tied to the success of their commander in the field.

DBA includes 12 elements from a number of common types. The Marian army is eight elements of Legionnaries (Blades), three elements of Cavalry (Cav) and two elements of Velites (Psiloi) and is one of the stronger armies on paper. We have a choice of whether to mount our general in the cavalry or in the legionnaries on foot, so I have included a general token (on a penny) which will be used to indicate who he is accompanying.

All of the miniatures are Baccus 6mm Roman Republicans: https://www.baccus6mm.com/includes/products/ancient/reproman_range.php. The best thing about 6mm is that it's easy as crap to paint, and this whole army cost around 13 pounds. I have also ordered Hasastii with Pilums for another 5 pounds, in order to field both Camillan and Polybian armies too. Those two armies are earlier iterations in the evolution of roman warfare from hoplites to legionnaries, and so have fewer blades and more spears the further you go back.

Next up, filthy barbarians in the form of enough units to field Early Germans, Scots-Irish, British and Gallic armies in opposition.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Throbbing blob posted:

That's a gorgeous looking force. Makes me want to branch out into other scales and periods.

For 30gbp you can get two full armies in 6mm and the rules are free here http://www.wadbag.com/DBAGuidePlus/v2.2PlusUnofficialGuide_double.pdf - there's no chance of anyone else collecting this (I can't even find a single group or gaming club that plays it, and this is in London/UK) but at that price and availability it made sense for me to pick up both sides. After playing Warmachine a few times, the ruleset is quite refreshing.

I haven't looked into it yet, but you can also use multiple DBA elements to form single units of Hail Caesar, Impetvs - or you can use two armies per side, or even use four-bases-as-single-element for that big-battle feel.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Just a quick AAR from my first battle with actual miniatures in DBA 2.2+:

Marian Romans (3 Cav, 8 Blade, Psiloi) vs Early Armenians (4 Light Horse, 2 Knight, 4 Aux, 2 Psiloi)
AAR: The battle started with the Marians deploying first, cavalry central and four blades on the road. The Armenians deployed with horse on the flanks, Knights on the road, Psiloi defending camp and Auxilia centrally. As the battle developed, the Armenians consistantly lost initiative, one flank refused by blades, bad-going and a skulking psiloi. On the other flank, knights raced up the road into combat with Legionnaries to a tough stalemate. At the last moment, the core of the roman front (cavalry accompanied by general) collapsed, allowing the knights to encircle the commander in chief and achieve a swift victory.

Result: Armenians win 3(G) v 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

lilljonas posted:

It's a thing among brit grognards I guess, Irregular does it as well actually. Order by fax, picking it up at a local show ("postage is expensive!"), and complaining that you can't see well enough to paint anything sub-54mm. The British historical community in a nutshell.

Romans and Greek armies look amazing in 6mm since you can get those huge blocks of troops, and both maniples and phalanxes look better en masse. Easy to paint too. I personally don't think that "barbarian" armies look as good in 6mm, but that's me. If I were to set up two 6mm armies I'd go with Romans and something Hellenistic/Carthaginian.

Agreed, random colors just don't look great on 6mm, I'm going for a palette of yellow, green and blue rather than everything under the sun to try to unify somewhat.