Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.
Well having more dice to throw is handy - but it seems like buying 7 dice is mostly worth it if you are going to risk reducing your dice pool intercepting early on. Having more dice is a much bigger factor in trying to get the 6 you need, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Roma posted:

I wonder if Battlefront will profit on the release of the Pacific mini series this year and expand FoW to the pacific theater of war?

IIRC BF has no plans to release pacific rules. Mainly because there is far less interest in the PT, and the lack of terrain support. Having to cook up 15mm jungle terrain would be less than stellar, I imagine. The fact that force composition would probably end up being far less varied than the ET/North Africa probably doesn't help either.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Also like, you would probably need to give the FoW rules a serious facelift for jungle/island fighting. I dunno!

I need to find a store that runs decent tournaments, I just found out a store that is running one of the US national things is close to me. Anyone ever been to Maplewood Hobbies in Jersey? I'm debating taking the trainride there to check it out.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Anyone here have any experience with the Recruits tourney in Missouri? I have an overwhelming temptation to paint up a Free French Infantry Force or something and try my hand at Spring Recruits in March.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Roma posted:

Anyone else had problems with the FoW mini rulebook from the Open Fire! set? I purchased the set a few weeks back and pretty much straight away the pages started falling out. I contacted Battlefront, and they sent me a replacement rulebook no questions asked which arrived today. However, I noticed straight away that even the replacement is showing signs that the pages are about to fall out when I first opened it.

I've had no problems with any of the other FoW books I have so far, just the mini rulebook.

Some FoW books have terrible bindings - mainly the ones printed in England. Apparently the new Eastern Front book, and North Africa both have serious problems too. BF has shown no indication they care really, so we'll see if they do anything about it.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Hey, so a couple of friends and I are talking about getting into a new Historical game - something cheap, probably, so around 6-10mm. There is a lot of talk of the usual Napoleonics (the excellent minis available from Baccus are a big draw), but I was wondering about doing something around the Thirty Years War. Two questions arise, however!
1.) What systems would people recommend? I know there is Pike & Shotte and Field of Glory: Rennisance. I have some experience with the Ancients version of FoG, and a little with Blackpowder. Is Pike and Shotte like Blackpowder in that its up to the players how they want to set up the battle, or is it a more tournament style game with points, etc.?
2.) Any recommendations for miniatures for the era in a smaller scale?

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

So, I have not played FoW in ages - I sold my old armies a while ago because there was no place to play within easy travelling distance of me, etc. However, I just found a new game store nearby - and they are trying to get people together to run some EW tournaments, or maybe an escalation league.

Are there any major differences in playstyle I should be aware of? I am not huge on ~win first~ playing in FoW, but it would be nice to hear some trip reports before I dive head first into it again.

Edit - Also I haven't played since Second Edition - I took a quick look through the 2nd -> 3rd edition quickstart guide, and it mostly just seemed to be cleaning up language/clarifying things, along with the changes to movement. Did I miss something obvious?

DiscipleoftheClaw fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

YF19pilot posted:

There's a few things changed around, though a lot of it seems to be changes in wording or streamlining things. For example, assaulting works differently in regards to how defensive fire, participating units, and motivation is handled.

They just yesterday released a big .pdf that 'updates' the EW books for 3rd Edition, so be sure to get a copy of that.

Otherwise, what area are you in?

Oh neat, I totally did not see that PDF.

I am in North Jersey, which is a strange place for wargaming. I have not played at this store yet, so it may end up being another horrible cesspit of people I can't actually roll dice with.
FoW is not that much fun for me when people are superduper competitive about it, which tends to be the only way it gets played in the NYC area I've found.