Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I'm considering getting into Flames of War, and plan to purchase the 'Open Fire' box set soon. Unfortunately none of my friends play it and I doubt I could pull them away from 40k.

Is there any other box sets which contain two small armies for Flames of War (kind of like a FoW equivalent of 40k's 'Assault on Black Reach' in terms of amount of miniatures) which I could use to learn the rules and have battles with friends using my minis? Or is 'Open Fire' the closest there is to this? (it just seems 'Open Fire!' would be good to learn the rules, but would get dull after 1 or 2 battles with only 5 tanks.)

Thanks. Great thread too. I don't post much, but I'll definitely be reading this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I got the 'Open Fire' starter set for FoW, but thought it wasn't a very good introduction to the game. It's good to have a small rulebook and a few tanks, but the introduction missions are so boring I struggled to get into them. I think they really need some infantry and maybe some artillery or something to make it a more fun introduction.

That said, I fully intend to get into this game. I just hope it's a lot more fun than the introduction missions were. I've read battle reports and it really seems to get great when you have a large variety of units.

My only other experience with wargaming are Games Workshop games.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I read those rules in the rulebook too. I like the way it's set up. It seems to allow you to be able to request air support, but you have little control over when they show up and how many show up. Makes sense when you're controlling a small ground army.

Also, anyone had experience with the Firestorm campaign(s)? I heard you can play them as both a campaign system and as a separate board game (unless I misunderstood something?) Is this any good?

I've pretty much decided I'm going to concentrate on Late War eastern front armies for the first year or so while I'm getting into this game.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I grabbed 'Stalin's Onslaught' the other day as my first source book for Flames of War and have pretty much decided on two armies I'm going to field.

For Soviets I'm going with the heavy tank company, including a command tank (IS-2) and two lots of five IS-2 tanks for the mandatory options, and then a Udamy Strelkovy Batalon (so I'll have infantry too) and a flight of IL-2 Shturmoviks (I love the look of these planes from the old PC game of the same name).

For my German army I plan to buy the army box for the 78. Sturmdivision Sturmkompanie. (http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=870)

I reckon I'll spend my first couple years playing FoW based on these two armies, and eventually expand and get a paratrooper army cause lets face it we all love Band of Brothers.

I wonder if Battlefront will profit on the release of the Pacific mini series this year and expand FoW to the pacific theater of war?

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Anyone else had problems with the FoW mini rulebook from the Open Fire! set? I purchased the set a few weeks back and pretty much straight away the pages started falling out. I contacted Battlefront, and they sent me a replacement rulebook no questions asked which arrived today. However, I noticed straight away that even the replacement is showing signs that the pages are about to fall out when I first opened it.

I've had no problems with any of the other FoW books I have so far, just the mini rulebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Finally started my Soviet army for Flames of War. I'm actually moving interstate soon so have to keep purchases to a minimum till I actually move, but couldn't resist getting this set:

These tanks look awesome. I'm surprised how big they are too in comparison to the 'Open Fire!' tanks. I also got another IS-2 tank in a blister, so 6 of them so far. I read some history about them that said they were typically fielded in units of 21 Is-2 tanks during WW2, so I wouldn't mind eventually having that many and running an all tank list. Especially because the 'Stalin's onslaught' book contains a list for up to 21 of them.

EDIT: Oh, I mean so I'd have the ability to field 21 of them if I wanted a historically correct battle. I do plan to buy infantry, planes, artillery and such too for variety.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 27, 2010