Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

lilJonas, have you played multiplayer Trafalgar? I've played a few 1vs1 games and whilst it was a blast I think it would work best with teams, as the game system seems to reward big sweeping moves and grand tactics, whilst simultaneously needing a fair bit of attention to keep track of all the damage suffered by the different ships.

For manufacturers I don't believe Skytrex have been mentioned yet:

http://www.skytrex.com/

They have a good selection in different scales and are nice and cheap. It's a one man show though so you mayhave to wait a week or two for the chap to cast up your order.

EDIT: What size bases do you use for 1/1200s? Would it be the same size as the wrecked ship template?

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Do any of you modern players want to buy get some 28mm arab street fighters on the cheap ? I've 16 of them, unpainted, hanging around.

They are from Mongrel miniatures, representing the 82 Israeli-Lebanon war, and are pretty nice sculpts. Another unstarted project :smith:

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 6, 2010

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

If you're in the UK, gently caress yes.

I am.

The Mongrel Miniatures site has been down for a few days now, so I can't get any pics. They are armed with small arms, can't remeber if there's any RPG-ers, I'll dig them out tonight and have a look.

I don't have plat so lemme know how to contact you and we can work out the details.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I know what they look like - I've bought stuff from Mongrel before. My email is dangerDOToctopus AT googlemail.com

Email sent! If it's ok, I'll take this oppurtunity to list a few other bits and bobs:

There's two extra copies of the Black Powder rules (with the free promo mini)- looking for 50% of retail which would be £15 and a TON of British WW1 (from Great War Miniature, Aly Morrisons company).

If you're interested post here, etc.

EDIT: The Great War is a really interesting WW1 ruleset from Warhammer Historical that came out last year, shame no-one seems to be interested in WW1...

EDIT 2: woot just treated myself to platinum, can now take PMs

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jan 8, 2010

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Ok, I've decided to go ahead with a FOW army after having the starter set and the (now defunct Afrika book) kicking around gathering dust. I listened to the D6 Generation podcasts where they had a looonng review of the game so I've got a better handle on how the game works,

Questions,

A combined arms force works best right? A whole bunch of army lists from The Internet have tanks with a min inf choice, which seems kinda boring, whereas I was thinking of having a bit of everything, take all comers type of army.

Do you have to have the plane models on the board to represent air forces or are they 'off camera'

Is Festung Europa (or whatever the gently caress it's called nowadays) the go to book for LW lists? This game really isn't easy to get into with it's million supplements...

Ideally I'd like to go for an 8th army force, but everyone else at my club is collecting european theatre forces and my sand based dudes will look a bit out of place. It looks like it's going to be either the Soviets or the Finns (are these guys any good at all?).

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

Any good wargames set say...

During the crusades?

Just a heads up, the Perrys have some typically brilliant minis for the crusades, both European and Muslim.

http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

http://madaboutgaming.blogspot.com/2009/10/bongadishu-goes-bang.html this was run again at a convention here a while back, but with Ambush Alley instead of Force on Force rules, justs piles and piles of militia dudes with guns running around and getting shot at. Apparently it was awesome.

This is the kind of thing that has put me off moderns. Every bat rep or mission for this kind of thing always has the most adolescent, offensive make-believe story or setting. "Hay guys check out this AAR of my US marines slaughtering the militia of Oooga Booga bongo darkie land". :ughh:

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 25, 2010

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

How is that any different from playing Romans teaching those filthy Gauls a lesson or exterminating those evil jews and slavs with your Germans? Seriously, your toy mans are not you. Distance yourself.

Aah, gently caress it, I've deleted my previous rambling response. Look it's the players OK. If dudes want to game the Congo or Somalia thats fine, go right ahead. But don't call it Ongobongoland cause it's juvenile and make you look like a fool. Maybe I've got bad luck but the few times moderns has picqued my interest I've seen this kind of thing.

Oh, and I would never play the germans in FOW or anything else cause I'm a beacon of moral authority and :smuggo:

EDIT:

FAROESE WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Does the scenario say it takes place in Africa? Are you just assuming based off of their skin color? Is there any reason it couldn't just be downtown Atlanta?

It was the use of the work Bongo that did it. Not sure about the US or Aus (if that's where you are) but in the UK 'Bongo' is a (rather old fashioned) racial slur referring to Africa and Africans.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 25, 2010

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Decided to take the plunge and get into FOW, pending some extra work money coming through.

I've got the Open Fire starter box and have read the rules, which seem straight forward enough*, though it's all abstract to me at the moment so I've no idea how the different elements actually handle on the battlefield, I guess, Arty>Tanks, Tanks>Inf, and Inf>????

The army box sets look to be fairly good value, shame there aren't more of them really. The USSR inf horde looks pretty cool:

http://www.flamesofwar.com/online_store.aspx?CategoryID=11760

It has Katsuyasha rocket trucks and these weird mine clearing tanks, which seem like they could be a rarely used gimmick. Plus a million little men to paint. Can the Soviets do anything other than clog the barrels of the enemy with their dead? Cause honestly, that sounds pretty cool.

All the armies look pretty awesome though. What sourcebooks have the lists for US airborne and LW Brits?

* Except for the assault phase, which looks quite awkward. Infantry can only assault 4" IIRC. So, do you throw a load of transports up as fast as can be, and send your guys in?

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 13, 2010

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

LintMan posted:

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Thanks for the answers chaps. If you've got some general thoughts on how you find the game, what works best and what's kinda clunky, that'd be cool.

I know there's a million different army lists, and that combined arms is the best way to go but I'm not a hardware nerd, so all these tanks and poo poo seem the same to me. I guess I'm looking for a force thats going to be quite forgiving. Also, I like the idea of my arty smashing the enemy into the dirt. The Brits :britain: have internet rep for being pretty good at this right?

Honestly, FOW is confusing as gently caress for newbies. I've been browsing various forums trying to decipher near-gibberish like "Oh yah, you absolutely want to res with your KCDRIVs, STG-73 will mess up your Pzrg-Flm, and without PAS your Thdrhwk will get creamed by their Ober-Tiger-1A. Make sure to bring at least 3 Btl-cmp of FM-73as!" :derp:

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 13, 2010

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Jinjin Bemar posted:

Also tonight Im doing a Rules of Engagment game (28mm ww2 skirmish)- US paras VS Panzergrenadiers.

Should be fun- might try taking a few photos although I am unsure if my lazy mate has painted his Heer yet.

Pictures please!, a report/general thoughts on the system, etc would be awesome as well. I was browsing the warlord games site last night and am now considering spending my Dark Eldar money on starting up this instead.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 21, 2010

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Ostfront is the go to book if I want to do a Soviet army right? The dude at the shop yesterday was chatting it up about the new Stalins Europe (?) sourcebook which he says has some cool lists in.

I'd like to do tank list which has those big Heavy Tanks (IS-2s I believe) and some inf to support.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Devlan Mud posted:

Do you know what period you're playing? If Mid-War, you want Eastern Front (the newer, better looking Ostfront). If Late-War, you want probably Fortress Europe to start, which has basic lists, and from there you can expand into the Bagration campaign books or Stalin's Europe, which have more of the obscure variant lists for late-war.

I'm leaning toward MW at the moment, but since I imagine this will be a modelling project formost, due to lack of local players, its not really a biggie either way.

Does Eastern Front cover the period after Stalingrad, but before Operation Bagration?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Lord Commissar posted:

Big clearance at Foundry.

Anyonr know if Foundry minis would look especially goofy on the same board with Perry Bros? (this would be for AWI) The only things I've ever seen of Foundry is some Old West gunfighters and they were quite short and chunky IIRC.

On the Perry site they state that their range is a continuation of the Foundry stuff (which I guess they also did?)

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

http://warhammer-historical.com/acatalog/Kampfgruppe_Normandy.html

This is....unexpected?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Jinjin Bemar posted:

Thats really unexpected because thats the first release since 2008 iirc from Warhammer Historical (since Forgeworld took them over). All the grognard chat is that Warhammer Historical is dead.

Personally Ive got not interest in it- Rules of Engagement is a great 28mm skirmish system, is written by ex GW staff and is pretty much a much improved version of WH40K already (thinly disguised but I called the author out on it when I bumped into him at a show and he admitted it! I wasnt being mean I was just interested in what I saw as the similarities).

Also this weekend i Salute 2011- thwe biggest Wargames show in Europe.
http://www.salute.co.uk/

I go every year and its fantastic, although like most UK shows, its very different from US shows. The emphasis is on shopping and pretty much every mini maker you can think of will be there

http://www.warlords.myzen.co.uk/SLW/salute2011/traders1.php

There are also lots of display games and participation games (drop in as opposed to book places like US cons) and many of them are beyond spectacular.

My musts for this show are getting in on the game of Hail Caesar that Rick Priestley is putting on, and trying Gripping Beasts new Dark Ages skirmish game Saga thats being previewed there. Also keen to see Clash of Empires which is the new game from Great Escape Games (makes of Rules of Engagement mentioned above) which is being touted as the replacement for Fields of Glory/Warhammer Ancient Batlles.

I plan on spending my money on a 6mm scale Britons army for Hail Caesar to take on my Romans, and make a start on a Northumbrian Saxon force for Saga/ Warhammer Ancients Shieldwall supplement.

In other news Force on Force from Ambsuh Alley Games arrived yesterday and it looks wonderful. Full review to come in the next couple of days.

I've only been to Salute once, two years ago. It was an interesting experience as I popped along after Judo practice and was mildy concussed from a nasty fall. I ended up with tons of really random stuff (like modern Lebanese milita and 17th century pirates) that I don't actually remember buying, though I do have some fuzzy recollections of gawping the gently caress out of the amazing display games and chatting with the one armed Perry brother.

So yeah I'd like to attend in a non brain damaged state at some point. Shame I'm broke at the moment.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Jinjin Bemar posted:

big news is new multi part plastic American War of Independence troops

Oh god, oh god...:fap:

Did you hear anything on when these are coming out?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Gunther Rothernburgs 'Napoleonic Wars' is a good place to start, giving a broad overview of the political side, whilst also going into the tactics employed. Lots of pretty maps as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Napoleonic-Wars-CassellS-History-Warfare/dp/0304359831/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315268155&sr=1-11

If you want to get a little more specific, two books I couldn't recommend highly enough are Zamoyskis 1812 and The Battle by Alessandro Barbero. Both eminently readable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1812-Napoleons-Fatal-March-Moscow/dp/0007123744/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315268627&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-New-History-Waterloo/dp/1843543109/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1315268328&sr=1-1

When it comes to this period, authors are notoriously prone to engaging in some serious sperging, so tread lightly.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 6, 2011

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Has anyone else seen these new guys?

http://www.manatwar.es/

It's Napoleonics done in the Flames of War system. 18mm seems a weird scale though.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

No Pun Intended posted:

I have never used sand and spackle method however the end result will give you a sand/dirt texture (similar to PVA and sand). What method you use depends on how you want your bases to look like.

I've got the plastic rubble bases from battlefront and they are quite the thing;

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=2654

They don't seem to like lying down MG guys very much, so I use some of the extra bits and bobs on the sprue to fancy up a regular base and get a consistant look.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I've got one of the Battlefront sprays on order to basecoat my german tanks. Do I need to prime them first?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

big_g posted:

Oh God! Am I about to become "One of us, one of us...."

What would be my best bet if I wanted something more colourful then, like the army that lilljonas posted earlier, something I could represent more of the different orders in?

Just buy random packs of knights and things, or is there an army set that would be better?

Thanks again for all the advice guys.

And to add in here's a few pics of my latest finished FoW platoon:

Oh god, tell me these aren't the first things you've painted, for they are quite splendid.

How did you get your wonderful muddy weathering on the tracks?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Serotonin posted:

I think I have some sort of mental health problem.

I just picked up TooFatLardies new version of their classic WW2 company level (like Flames of War) rule set I Aint Been Shot Mum (British readers of a certain age will get the reference) and it looks ace fun. Very scenario orientated like most TFL games and uses their usual card driven mechanic and blinds systems.

I've never understood how TFL systems are supposed to work. I've got a copy of their Napoleonic skirmish rules hanging around somewhere, and found it impenetrable as they seem to assume you know what 'Blinds' or 'Tea Breaks' etc are.

Can someone provide a dunces guide? Cause narrative/scenario themed gaming is cool.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Serotonin posted:

blinds

Sounds exactly like the way genestealers are handled in Space Hulk. I love Space Hulk! Thanks for the writeup.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

:stare:

http://ilovewargameing.21.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=2140

If you've spent any time on TMP, you've probably seen this guys unbelievable set up.

To instantly feel inferior click on anything labelled 'Joes pics' on their forum.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 18, 2011

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

I'll give you something to taste.

Speaking of FoW, been re-reading Red bear and I am super-excited about 3rd Edition.

Does anyone know what changes they have made to 3rd edition? (I've only heard about the new Hens and Chicks)

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Man, if that Plastic Soldier Company stuff is as good as it looks I might finish my Jewish Battalion.

Oh cool, what list is this?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Has anyone here actually played Black Powder? They say repeatedly in the text that the rules were designed with big games on big tables in mind, I was wondering if it scales down ok?

I've had it since it was released, but I can't justify the insane amount of time and effort to get a decent sized Napoleonic force together (two if I realistically want to ever get a game),

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I had to permanently retire my air force guy due to his persistent habit of calling in strikes on his own dudes, crippling half my army in one go.

Tanks moving and shooting without the penalty is nice enough but is it Vet only and vet tanks are just too many points IMO. My Sherman normally ends up using the MGs instead of the main gun to get the kills.

One of the nice American bonuses that I somehow had overlooked is the ability to take 3 MGs per slot.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

Attached are Copies of the Action itself with more Detail.

Yesssss!

I've had my eye on this game ever since I saw the preview at Salute a few years back. Used to play the GW Trafalgar rules when they were first released, but am more interested in smaller frigate actions as opposed to the giant fleet scraps. The fact that it's pre-paints is a plus as well.

How long did this battle take? Is there a SoG effort post anywhere in this thread?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I'm currently reading Midway mil-hist (and goon favourite) Shattered Sword. It's jolly exciting stuff, with dive bombers and dog-fights and Torpedo planes and all the terrible Japanese tactical cock ups you need/want.

It got me wondering if there's a ruleset for WW2 carrier fleet combat out there? More from curiosity than anything else, the scales involved would involve heavy abstraction or a lot of off table action to work. I'm prepared to go full grognard for this one.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Are there any good platoon level Vietnam rulesets out there? I don't care for FoW so not interested in their expansion.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Is Bolt Action 2nd ed confirmed then?

It's a very strong system, but there are a few tweaks I'd like to see. Tanks need to be a tad more survivable - I've played lots of games where whoever drew the first dice just instantly blatted the enemy armour. Artillery and air strikes rules could be streamlined.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Have any of you guys gone for Team Yankee?

Never cared for Flames too much, but I really like what they have done with the tidy up of the base rules, and the unit cards. Just a better system overall.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

spectralent posted:

I have but while it's tidier I have struggled to actually understand one or two rules, though I believe there was one clarified in the FAQ which I can check. Also, I preferred daisy-chains; "stay in 6" " is much more of a pain and I find it leads to more car-parks than is usual for FoW. Also I'm not sure Hinds literally can stick within 6", past 2 of the things.

Sorry if I'm being dim but what's a daisy chain?

Parking lots always bothered me - it looks like one of those parades in red square!

One of the reasons I'm psyched for team Yankee is that it requires fewer models. My 80 point US list had a whopping 7 tanks, a few support vehicles and air support. Soviet mech platoons will be silly tho.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

2nd edition of Bolt Action has just been announced. Also a weird war 2 game.

http://www.warlordgames.com/announc..._eid=5eafd5a5a8

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Played my first game of Team Yankee today.

It was fun! I used to play FOW quite a while back now but dropped out as I always found it played a little clunky and counter-intuitive. Happily, I'm pleased to report that the TY version of the ruleset has been tidied up nicely and the game is fast and Killy. Found the different types of units pretty balanced too - air power didn't seem too OTT to us, as that other poster commented earlier in the thread.

I really like the unit cards - no more looking through the books trying to remind yourself what the actual umpteen different special rules mean. Card says you need a 4+ to cross the river, then you need a 4+.

Only issue is that it seems very, very difficult for the Americans to stand a fighting chance, with their expensive tanks and small units. The Abrams is double the cost of a T-72, for which you get another dice of shooting and slightly better armour.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

drat. I thought Adepticon had a decent swag bag. That is a crazy amount of stuff.

Team Yankee Talk: After seeing TY at Adepticon, and not purchasing it (due to the cost of the models,) I ordered the rulebook the other day because it seems like using 6mm is a very good alternative to the very nice (but very expensive) TY models. Also, this is my first foray into historicals (or alt-historicals, I suppose) so I'm hoping I made a good choice with TY - my group is mostly into the old GW Specialist Games (Epic and such,) so I'm assuming TY isn't too intensive?

As an aside, is there any place to print out unit cards or a Quick Reference? I know the info is in the rulebook, but having it easily accessible would be dandy.

The quick reference PDF is here;

http://www.team-yankee.com/Default.aspx?tabid=878&art_id=5105

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I found the prose in Team Yankee to be charmingly crappy. Once you get through the minimal amount of 'characterisation' and set up at the beginning it turns into dopey fun.

Coyle is clearly only interested in the combat, especially the tank fights, which is fine by me. Although, not once in that book did the Soviets ever appear as a genuine threat.

Any London goons here playing Team Yankee btw? A few guys at my club got the starter boxes, but I'm the only one who's built and pained his poo poo.

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

I've seen guys mention that BF are planning releases of BAOR and both East and West Germans. Is there a schedule or preview pics of these?

Their site is awful to navigate and I couldn't see anything on a quick Google search except for a few guys homebrews.