Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Here are some photos from the 09 New Zealand Late War GT for Flames of War.

Bill Wilcox's Awesome 7th Armoured Company. He did horrible things to my Para's in a mission they couldn't win. He was my vote for best painted, great guy to play.

Next is Steve Hills Objective, again very good painter and alway a good fight.

Here are my only tanks in my British Para Army. Yes they fit those things in a glider and landed them in Normandy for the D-day landings. Not the best picture as its an in game shot.

Next is Chris Townsleys SU76 Horde. I really like this pic.

Bedes Stugs, Painted using an airbrush.

I am pretty big into Flames of War and can answer most questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
They are great, fast, they have an HE round on the mighty 2pdr gun. Use them to take out HMG positions so your infantry can do the job. AT 7 is good against the German mediums side armour and the Tetrarchs speed is great. Just don't expect them to last long in a stand up fight against pretty much anything.

Using them to assault an objective supported by tanks is a bad idea:

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

No Pun Intended posted:

How many of your own objectives did you have to model for the Tournament?

Two. My objectives were the British paras capturing some 88mm AA guns.

I did a pretty good run last year, hitting most of the big tournaments including both Battlefront run GT's.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Are you after Armoured Panzergrenadiers or Motorized?

Hells Highway has FJ and A Bridge to Far will most likely focus on the SS units in the area. Fortress Europe will be good buy as it covers the generic lists up to August 1944 but do not feature the Hetzer or Assault rifle armed platoons except for some scout units. If you want Hetzers have a look at the eastern front books or wait till the Bulge book is out.

Good core of any German infantry list is:

HQ
Infantry platoon
Infantry platoon
Anti Tank platoon with Pak 40's
Small Mortar platoon (for smoke and pinning)

Add in whatever tank you want like the look off. Thats core and you can use it for any of the infantry lists midwar to latewar.

On the old BF site there was a list of GW to Vallejo chart. However the site is gone and GW have changed their paint range.

Pick up 70882 Middlestone for German tanks and guns, 830 German Field Grey for the infantry.
The BF books have good colour guides and I use Vallejo paints for everything now.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

twistedmentat posted:

Mechanized, so tanks and halftacks.

German Tanks and half tracks are expensive points wise. Good thing about the halftracks is they come with a 3 dice MG so your have a huge anti Infantry capability.

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, that works. The books aren't too expensive, and having a number of available lists just gives me more choices.
What book will I find the list for these? Fortress Europe? If so, that's what I'll get next.

Thats pretty much the core to any of the German infantry lists from any of the books. Add in Half tracks to the infantry and the Antitank platoon to turn it into an Armoured Panzergrenadier list.

twistedmentat posted:

I have about a million GW paints, so buying any others wouldn't really make sense moeny wise. All need to know is that Chardonite Granite is pretty much the Grey Green of Late war uniforms.

Not sure as I haven't bought a GW paint in a long time. Here is a snapshot I took from my old Stalingrad book. I know GW has added more paints to their line up. The green recommend makes the germans too green. But it might be helpful.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

Finlay posted:

In FOW how good are the various minor powers? I might be interested in collecting a force of Romanians or Finnish if they are competitive.

The Finns are available as a PDF on the Battlefront website for the late war period. Phil Yates and the rest of the battlefront crew are very interested in the minor axis powers so its just a matter of time before they get the PDF treatment.

The Finns are an excellent light infantry force. You can group them with German supplied Stugs or captured Soviet tanks. Have a look at the PDF its a free download.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Other than the colour of the piping on the shoulders the panzergrenadiers should have a MG model on each base instead of one MG per two. They are classed as MG teams (rof 3) instead of being Rifle/MG teams (rof 2).

Most people wouldn't care that your piping is wrong or count the number of MGs on your bases. Just let your opponent know before than game that they are panzergrenadiers. The Halftracks should give it away.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
You just reminded me, here is a game of black powder we had a few weeks ago. Note not all of us managed to paint our toys in time. I am proud to say I did.

First off here is my Brigade:

The Cav got assigned and grouped together so I only had infantry and 1 battery of cannon under my direct command.
Here is the French all lined up:

And here is the Redcoats:

This is the Village we are fighting over:

Good work lads, a good dice roll and I got 3 moves, 32" advance for my Brigade. I get to the hedge line as ordered.

Hey guys where are the rest of you? Umm... those are awfully black, undercoated British Dragoons. Where are my reinforcements? My fellow Frenchmen decided to fail their orders and were left behind while I had Cav to deal with. There was 3 batteries of Horse artillery just behind the Cav.

In the rules cav force infantry into square. Cav can't charge a organised square but being in square means you get shot at a lot from cannon fire and muskets. Out of my 4 units two were kept in square and were hammered with cannon. I was behind the hedge so it wasn't as bad as it would of been.

Meanwhile my two units not in square tried to assault a unit of Riflemen from a building. They fought my units off and were reinforced by more British infantry.

My infantry finally broke from cannon fire and my troops started to retreat. Our mass of Cav on the flank didn't break through in time and our centre failed to stop the British infantry from taking the Village and gaining victory.

I like blackpowder for big games we played this game 5 players per side each player bringing what they wanted to paint up and it worked. Took us 5 hours to play including setup and a lunch break and we actually got a result and not a stalemate which these large battles tend to turn into.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
RE: Mounted Assault

Mounted Assault is good to kill off small platoons in assault without a chance of losing your panzergrenadiers from your halftracks. Its not an I win tactic.

He's why.

Only Fully armoured tank teams are immune to the 5 hits (10 hits for certain soviet units) in defensive fire = fall back pinned rule.

Fully armoured is defined as having a top armour value of 1 or more.

So panzergrenadiers mounted in halftracks will get forced to fall back from the defensive fire portion of the assault phase if they can be hit 5 times from defensive fire.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Here are some of the pretty pics from the NZ National wargame convention held in Upper Hutt, NZ.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
It was great. I was tired, sick and ran the FOW comp which consisted on 3 seperate competitions (early,mid,late). I survived without going insane so I count that as a successful weekend.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Oh great, now I get to play internet detective to find out who you are. For your entertainment here is a German 15cm battery.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
I think the Americans gave it away and the books on the table.

Here is some terrain. The Italy building is Johns. There were 25 tables in total.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Have a look at Lasalle. I think Blackpowder works best with those large games where everyone brings their collection to play with and you can actually get a result. Lasalle you can get a good game in on a 6x4 table in under 3 hours.

Lasalle also has the advantage that its got some list structure to force composition. That can help balance games and direct buying choices.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Cross posted in the miniatures thread, Rifle Platoon:

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
More FOW. This time some Shermans to go with my infantry.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

Devlan Mud posted:

Are these just on FoW large bases? I love the combined arms look of the shermans, I might steal the idea when I get around to doing my :derp: WAFFEN-SS :derp:

Yes, just standard FOW large bases. I was going to snow cover them to match a photo I have of Kiwis in Italy in December 1943 but I like the paint job too much to cover it with snow.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Here are some Paras I have snow based for a tournament next weekend. Some are a bit chipped so I will touch them up tomorrow night.

Airlanding 6pdr platoon

Para Platoons

I snow covered my Shermans

And my Rifle platoon

Finally 2x Medium mortars and the HQ:

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Its a mix of PVA gule, Baking soda and a tiny bit of Grey stone to tone down the white.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
18th Dragoons, they are pretty in their frilly pink uniforms.
Just need to paint pen on the unit number and touch up the black around the bases.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
The Dragoons come with a command sprue. One box makes just under two units in Lasalle (8 figures each)as well as having some dismounted dragoons which are great for a skirmish game.

Victrix vs Perry: Tough decision. I like the perry figures better because they paint up well without too much effort. The detail pops out. However the poses offered on the Victrix kits are great but they plastic is brittle and I have had to replace snapped muskets on a lot of my figures. They also take a lot of assembling with the arms on the sprues placed oddly so you need to consult the instructions to work out which arm matches which other arm.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
I was to start painting my 1000pts of FOW scots for a tournament in two weeks. Instead I painted a 28mm Victrix highlander instead as a test paint for my next Lasalle army.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Another 47 for my large lasalle unit.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
http://www.napolun.com/mirror/napoleonistyka.atspace.com/foreigners_British_army.htm
Is an interesting read.

If your local Library has some Osprey books they are really good. Sharpe series of books is good to get the basics. Sharpes Eagle is a good one which has some nice descriptions of some battalion tactics and some good scenes which deal with the "Officer" class of the period.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
First test base of the Victrix Highlanders. Not sold on the 4 figures per base, certainly makes them supercheap to put together a unit though.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Well my Prussians have arrived, painted up a test base:

These are waiting a coat of paint:

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

And I just noticed I missed the officers medal.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
28mm figures from Calpe Miniatures.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Painting up some Kiwi mid war Staghounds for a one day 600pt tournament in Wanganui early August.

Will end up as NZ Divisional Cav, C Squadron, troops 1 and 2 with 2 Staghounds in the HQ. Oh and limited Kittyhawks to fight all the tanks people squeeze into 600pt lists.

NZ Modifications depicted: Used 25pdr ammo boxes as extra storage, I have modeled these a little too small but will correct when I do the rest of the unit. Kiwis overloaded their Staghounds with lots of kit. One troop was deemed not fit for combat due to all the booze boxes strapped to the turret prevented it from traversing. And the most important modification is at the back near the engine is a modified artillery shell hooked up to the engine to boil water for tea or cocoa. These I painted green to stand out but most likey they were Khaki like the rest of the Armoured car.

Now to base them.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
I have a 600pt tournament this weekend and have painted up some NZ Staghounds for it. The list is pretty weak compared to the horrible things you can squeeze into 600pts. Here is what I am taking:

HQ 2xStaghound armoured cars

Armoured car platoon (2xStaghounds, 1xStaghound II CS)

Armoured car platoon (2xStaghounds, 1xStaghound II CS)

All together now!

Not pictured due to looking ugly without decals are my limited Kittyhawk air support.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Good showing for the Staghounds. Missions were just Hold the line and Free For All. I won every Hold the Line I played (I attacked) but lost every FFA. Soviet heavy tanks dominated the placings as you might of guessed with the format. My Staghounds however won best army and earned myself a copy of Blitzkreig.

Here are some pics:
Hounds living it large behind some trees

Finger of doom!

6pdr vs Panzer 38(t)'s

Staghounds surrounding some poor Finns, my 2IC is near some trees to the right stopping it being used as a ambush point for 2xPak38s

Panzer IIIJs

Soviet infantry

T34s try to sneak on the table edge. Elsewhere some T70s get shot up from some Marders.

My Hounds attack FJ

Churchill infantry tanks complete with notes on the back for people who forget what their own models are armed with

Those AT rifles aren't going to do jack against those unfriendly KV2s

Sneaky Staghounds!

Oh dear, out of shot are two Marders who just tore up the platoon

Horde of T26s attack a hostile tape measure

And now that the hounds have had a run around this is my next project

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Polish Lancers? Close but very far from what they are. They are Prussian Landwehr Cav basically militia on horses.

Miniatures are from Calpe Miniatures. My order arrived last week and I have a battery of cannons, unit of Musketeers, unit of Landwehr, Generals and some rifle armed jaegers for skirmish markers. The Landwehr cav is first on the painting table.

LintMan fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 8, 2010

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Well after Call to Arms I finally had some time to give my Landwehr Cav a coat of paint. Here they are, just need to base them up, do some pennants for their lances and and decide if I want to learn how to paint horses.

Next up Cannons and the Jaegers.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Well actually having two days off in a row allows me to get some painting done. Photos taken at 10pm so just using the poor lighting I have in the house.

First up some skirmish markers. These are volunteer Jaegers.

Close up of the jaeger getting a cartridge from his pouch.

Next up some Cannons. These are a battery of foot artillery for Lasalle. Three 6pdr guns and a howitzer.

Then we have the based and completed Landwehr Cav unit. These are Militia cav are are not very good.

Group shot.

Next on the painting bench a unit of Landwehr infantry.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
While it seems like a good idea in practice light horse armies will have the choice of terrain making it open as much as possible so they can slowly take apart foot based armies. Without terrain limiting their movement.

I think FOG is a great set of rules let down by lack of variety in games you can play due to how the game is setup and terrain placement.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Flames of War: Blitzkrieg British Armoured regiment

Blitzkrieg is the first book in Battlefronts Early war series of books for their Flames of War rules set. It covers the invasion of Poland and France (1939-1940) and features the list for Poland, Britain, France and Germany. I will focus on the British Armoured regiment and give a bit of a review.

British tank theory:
The British had two schools of thought when it came to tank design. They developed a cruiser tank concept which they saw battles decided by squadrons of fast moving tanks penetrating the enemies lines and exploiting. The British started the war with the A9, A10, A13 series of tanks and as the war progressed improving on the designs with the Crusader, Cromwell and Comet tanks. The other concept was an infantry support tank designed to aid the infantry in breaking through then enemy strong points. They started the war with an old A11 Matilda infantry tank design named after cartoon duck due to the slow waddling way it moved. In time for the invasion of France the newer A12 Matilda tank was slowly replacing the A11. As the war progressed the A12 design was upgraded to the Matilda II then replaced with the Valentine and finally ending the war with the Churchill infantry tank.

1st Armoured Division:
Britain’s Cruiser tanks were grouped into 1st Armoured division and did not fight with the rest of the BEF in Belgium but with the French. They were equipped with a mix of Cruiser and light tank designs.

Vickers Mk VI:

A good solid light tank design. Lightly armoured and armed it was used with the Armoured regiments and with the divisional cavalry units. There were two main variants used by the british the Mk VIB equipped with 0.5” machine gun or the Mk VIC which was equipped with 15mm cannon. Both versions also had a coaxial machine gun.
In FOW: The Vickers is actually a very good tank in the early war period the 0.5” MG and the 15mm both had a firepower of 5+ and lack the No HE rule which makes the 2pdr useless against gun teams and infantry. Armour is 1 all around which in Late war standards is really bad but in early war it provides good protection against MG fire and a slight chance against light AT weapons.

A9:

The weaker of the tanks available to the armoured regiments. Equipped with 2pdr gun and a coaxial machine gun it packs a good punch. The A9 is unique in the British forces as it has two machine gun turrets mounted in front of the main gun turret. Many were converted to the close support variant which featured a 3.7” howitzer instead of the 2pdr. In typical British fashion the howitzer was only equipped with smoke rounds and lacked an AT or a HE round.
In FOW: The A9 armed with the 2pdr is only available in the regimental HQ. The A9 CS are available as part of the Command platoons and provides a valuable smoke option for the army. Armour wise they only have a front of 1, top of 1 and a poor side armour of 0. 0 side is really bad because armour that low is vulnerable to rifle fire. The 2pdr is a great gun at 24” range with an AT value of 7 and a firepower of 4+ its only downside is the No HE which makes it useless against Infantry, Gun and unarmoured vehicle teams.

A10:

This is an up armoured version of the A9 design. The 2 turrets were removed and the extra armour put too much strain on the engine decreasing the speed. Armed with a 2pdr gun and a coaxial machine gun.
In FOW: The A10 is rated as a slow tank and only moves 8” instead of 12” as the rest of the force as it is only available to the Company command team it’s hard to get him where it needs to be quickly. However it is the most armoured tank available to the Armoured Regiment with a front of 2, side of 2 and top of 1.

A13:

This is the British tank of the line and is the best example of the cruiser tank concept available to the forces in France. It makes use of the Christie suspension allowing it to move at high speed cross country. It is armed with the excellent 2pdr gun with a coaxial Machine. The A13 Mk II is the same basic design but with extra armour added to the turret.
In FOW: The A13 and A13 Mk II is a great tank and equips the cruiser tank platoons of the armoured regiment. It is a fast tank so can double move 32” instead of 24” allowing you to cover huge distances quickly. However it also has the unreliable rule which is a 1 in 6 chance of breaking down when you do double. Armour wise the A13 is poor with front of 1, side of 0 and top of 1. Rifle fire can hurt your side armour. The A13 Mk II improves this increasing the armour on the front to 2 and side to 1.

Flames of war list Discussion:

The Armoured Regiment is a very good list but limited in choice. The Regimental HQ is like Company HQ from other lists. The Company command team has to be an A10 which is a good tank but slow so can struggle to keep up with the rest of the force. The 2IC team is Vickers Mk VI but can be upgraded to A9 or A10 tank. I personally think the A9 is the way to go as the extra 2pdr armed tank in an independent team is very useful. You also have an option for a HQ support team in another cruiser tank and another Vickers tank. I would use these as points tweak units so tank whatever you have left in points.

The combat platoons which you only have to take one but can have up to 3 of is an Armoured company. Unlike other company organisational lists each platoon including the HQ platoon is treated during the game as a separate platoon. They are considered one choice for deployment and reserves.

The HQ platoon option is the most varied including the option to not take one. This is where you can take the A9 CS tanks. Remember that you cannot smoke bombard with a single tank you need at least two to fire a template. The first style in the organisation for the HQ is with A13 tanks and A9 CS with the option to replace the A9 CS with Vickers VIC tanks. You have options to take 1 or 2 A14 and 1 or 2 A9 CS tanks.

Your other choice is how many Cruiser and light tank platoons to take. The Cruiser platoon is equipped with A13 tanks while the light tank platoon is equipped with Vickers Mk VIB tanks. You must have at least 1 Cruiser and 1 Light tank platoon and can have up to 2 of each.

You can upgrade any A13 to A13 Mk II and any Vickers Mk VIB to a C. A13 Mk II’s has better armour and the Vickers Mk VIC has a better AT value.

The options are very limited in support platoons for the list which means your tanks will be the core of your force. You can choose a recce carrier or scout car platoon. A British or French infantry platoon and French air interception.

Your force is Confident Trained so you are getting hit on a roll of 3+ and you pass morale rolls 50% of the time. Your main special rule is the Tally Ho! Rule which allows you to fire full rate of fire on the move at targets closer than 16” with your 2pdr. To word this another way your tanks have twice the amount of firepower on the move than any other nation. Your Cruisers are there to fight tanks which they do well at while your light tanks take out gun teams with their 5+ firepower guns.

Here is a sample 1500pt list I am taking to the next 3 Early war tournaments:

HQ, A10, 2IC A9

Command platoon 2xA13, 2xA9 CS
Cruiser platoon 3xA13
Light platoon 3xVickers VIB

Command platoon 2xA13 Mk II, 2xVickers VIC
Cruiser platoon 3xA13 Mk II
Light platoon 3xVickers VIC

Division Cavalry carrier platoon
British Rifle platoon
French sporadic air interception

Waffle images is playing up so the pics are on my photobucket account, will move upload them when its going fine again.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
On Assaulting:

You get a move in the movement step 6" fire at your reduced moving rate of fire and then assault 4" in the assault step. The assault phase is the most difficult part of the game to get your head around. Feel free to ask any other questions.

Paras?:

Currently there are two periods for late war Paratroopers. The D-1 book has the US and British paras for the Normandy d-day drops and the fighting afterward.

Market Garden is split into two books.

Hells Highway details 30 Corp and the US paras vs FJ.
A Bridge to far details the British paras vs the various German forces in the area.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
FOW Early war blisters should be in stores Nov 13th. Most of it should be stuff we have seen in the boxes but in blister form.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Here are the movement speeds in summary for tanks in FOW:

Fully tracked (In rough they reduce to 8" movement regardless of movement rules)
Normal (ie. no movement rules) = 12"
Very slow tank (Poor infantry tanks) = 6" which is infantry walking speed
Slow tank (Infantry and Heavy tanks) = 8" move
Light tank (Stuarts, Cromwells) = 16"
Fast tank (T34, Crusaders) = When moving at the double you tripe your normal move speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Finally recovered from Rallypoint 2010. My army took out 2nd place in generalship and ended up only 1pt behind 1st place.

Here is my boys all lined up for the painting comp.