Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Looks like https://www.flamesofwar.com are updating each day with a slowly emerging train on their front page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
King Tigers are tough in late war but all nations have units which can deal with them. Most players will struggle to see a return on their points investment if they run more than one King Tiger.

Crete is interesting. Its a battle which change the views of both the Axis and Allied airborne infantry. Germany was shocked by the losses sustained and Britain and the US we amazed at how quick the Paratroopers can take vital objectives.

Crete will fall into the early war period with no book currently published with the lists for FJ and the commonwealth troops at Crete. You can use Blitzkrieg by choosing taking the confident veteran Germans without armoured support Vs the British. Present were 2 Matilda Senior tanks and around 10 Vickers VI B light tanks. Most of the heavier equipment was left behind in Greece.

Or you can use the FJ and commonwealth rules as presented in North Africa but take only equipment used at Crete.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
There is also some game benefits of combat attaching your HMGs out to your infantry platoons.

It can often drop you down to an even number of platoons. This allows for a better force when you start with only half your platoons and helps with break point.

A man packed gun team like a HMG cannot be picked out from a platoon with infantry teams unless its from a weapon with a firepower rating or 4+ or better. So you HMGs stay alive longer.

It also allows your HMGs to cover more ground due to nothing having to deploy in the same spot as you must deploy a platoon in command.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Eastern Front does have Romanian forces in it.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Been a while since I painted some Prussians. The Landwehr are Calpe and the Hussars are plastic Perry Hussars.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
RE: Soviets

Your basic unit in FOW is the platoon. You move each team (4-5 guys) as a base. When you buy units you buy them in groups (squads) for the platoon.

So you might buy a British rifle platoon with 3 squads for 185pts.

However due to the soviets generally being of poor quality if they did this buy squads you would have lots of small easy to kill platoons. So they moved the organisation up on level.

So you buy platoons of troops for a company. Its more of a terminology change so in effect your buying really large squads for your really large platoon.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Some Officers to lead the boys.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
They can be but we they will be used for Lasalle.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
A good question to ask is what part of the war does you and your friends like to play? That should give you enough ideas to get you started.

Fortress Europe has Generic lists up to August 1944.

For the US 3rd Infantry Division Dogs and Devils is the book which focuses on it.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Ideal number for a FOW army is an even number of platoons. With a German army that can be an odd number with the option to Kampfgruppe to an even.

Example:

6 platoons would be 3 platoons on, 3 platoons off for a half on mission. Your break number would be 4.
7 platoons would be 3 platoons on, 4 platoons off for a half on mission. Your platoon break number would be 4.
8 platoon army would be 4 platoons on, 4 platoons off for a half on mission. Your platoon break number would be 5.

On list choices:
A Panzer company works well with firepower, good front armour and the speed to avoid the your opponents "strong point"

Each list should have its strong point. Late war its normally Panthers or Tigers for Germans if tanks or Pioneers if infantry. Its normally the largests most nasty to fight platoon.

Example:
I am travelling to a double tournaments today. Our strong point is a couple of King Tigers. The rest of our force isn't weak as such but is designed to support the King tigers in action. Pak40s, panzergrenadiers and 3.7cm AA guns all help the KT survive and do what it does best.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Here are some shots of my Early War army I am assembling for Rallypoint this year. Its based on the exploits of New Zealand 2nd Division's Cav Regiment in Greece.

It is a work in progress and I still need to do some detail work on the headlights, tracks, bases and unit markings.

The New Zealand Div Cav used a variety of carriers throughout 1941-1943. In Greece 1941 they used a mixture of Scout, Bren and universal carriers. Depicted here are 3 Scout carriers. The will most likely end up as C squadron.

A typical NZ Squadron in Greece would have a HQ unit of 2x Marmon Herrington MkII Armoured cars and 2x "Carriers"
Then there would be two troops each with 3 Marmon Herrington MkII Armoured cars. Then 4 more troops each with 3 "Carriers"

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Turning Tide and Earth and Steel are the current books for Normandy. They combine all the Normandy books and add a few more options.

If you like late war D-day to the breakout then they will be fine.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
More WIP carriers. This time I did a few head swaps, pose adjustments and weapon swaps on my NZ Div Cav force. If I was better at green stuff I would of done more of the mounted rifles hat for the troops.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
NZ Rifle platoon in Italy 1944:

Using Battlefront Commonwealth Rifle platoon, they are advancing through a walled orchard.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

Colonial Air Force posted:

Simply amazing!

How does it work rules-wise, since the cover moves with your guys?

Just the same as a normal platoon. The walls and trees are just there to look pretty.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
They "acquired" it. There is numerous accounts of Kiwis using captured equipment. SMGs were top of the list for its usefulness but we would use anything we could find.

There is a pretty famous account of New Zealanders getting a hold of a 20mm aircraft cannon from a downed aircraft and mounting it on a universal carrier. To fire it they wired up a spare battery from the radio. They kept it till they couldn't find ammo for it.

In short we used whatever we could get our hands on.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Just had a weekend full of Napoleonic gaming. First day we did a Waterloo inspired game. My Prussians were just a bit to late to save the British. Second day we had a Vitoria inspired game. Very brutal and very fun.

Here we go:

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
We used Lasalle.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Finished up some US 105s from my Kiwis in Italy. Need to get he rest of the army done in 3 weeks.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Rebased my NZ Shermans for Conquest and assembled the rest of the army. Should have it all done on time.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
What battle or operation interests you guys?

Italy, D-day, Normandy breakout, Market Garden or Bulge?

Pick a battle. Flames of War normally has a book which contains both an Axis and Allied list or lists for a given battle or campaign. Its a good starting point.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
I wouldn't recommend: D-Day, Bloody Omaha, Viller bocage, Montys Mestgrinder, D-1 or Cobra.

These are early production latewar books and have been updated in Turning Tide and Earth and Steel.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Some more Kiwis in Italy.

List:
HQ+2xPioneer Teams (Done)
Rifle platoon with Sticky bombs (Done)
Rifle platoon with Sticky bombs (1/2 painted)
AT platoon (4x6pdrs) (Done)
Armoured car platoon (3xStaghounds) (Done)
Armoured platoon (3xShermans) (Done)
Armoured platoon (3xShermans) (Done)
SP AT platoon (4xM10s) (Done)
US Artillery (4x105mm) (Done)

So to complete the project for a tournament at the end of the month I just need to finish the 2nd Rifle platoon.

Here is what I finished tonight:
M10s (The M10s were not painted in a camo scheme, they were left mean in green)

6pdrs

CnC and Pioneer teams

Staghounds

Shermans

Still need to do a unit markings on the Shermans and the M10s but that shouldn't take long.

LintMan fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 15, 2011

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Bake is a really hard army to play. His Panthers are good but the tigers are actually a weak point due to everything in latewar having a way of dealing with front armour 9. Added to weak tiger platoons all your supporting units are too small to be effective.

So starting from the top:

HQ Panthers +Bake upgrade, Bergepanther 190+60+15 = 265
3xPanthers 560
2xTigers 430

Your core combat force needs to attack together with the Tigers providing flank protection for the Panthers (they will get flanked). Use the independent team (Bake) to link the two platoons together for defensive fire if infantry get brave.

Gerbsjaeger with Panzerfaust 165

You only get 7 teams worth of infantry in any single platoon. You don’t need pioneers with the Panthers.

Panzer AA gun platoon with 3xQuad 2cms on armoured Halftracks 165
Nebs, 3xNW41s 125

Watch out with the Bergepanther, it’s not an independent team and its a transport team. It needs Bake to move around unless attached to a combat or weapons platoon. However if you give it to the Tank platoons bad things happen if you try to assault.
I would give it to the AA platoon and use it for its extra MG dice.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
I started back in V1 came out from a GW background. When Axis and Allies miniatures were released we have a look at the figure quality and it just didn't compare.

Also looking online some of the tanks aren't in scale with each other. Could just be the pictures on the website though. Also the gun teams are horrid. But if you have stuff or can get them cheaply its a good start while you learn the rules.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
If your not actually going to play FOW but want the books for inspiration then try to find the old books 2nd hand cheap. They have more history written in them as Turning Tide and Earth and Steel are army list collections.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Last platoon I needed to paint for the Tournament this weekend.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Finished some 28mm test figures. They are Bolt Action 28mm Plastic British Infantry and a plastic British Commando figure (with the cap badge removed so it looks like a service cap).

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Battlefronts NDA prevents any playtesters commenting on any material.

So most of the info has either come from:
1. Naughty could get people into trouble loose lips.
2. Battlefront employees showing parts of the book to generate interest.
3. Battlefront info via their website.

I believe some people have seen parts of the book from sales reps. Like any rules often they can seem odd not in context of other changes.

My NDA prevents me from talking but I would listen to anything from Mike, Phil, Wayne or JP via the website or interviews they have been doing about the changes they are excited about.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
The lack of turret and its weak points give the Stug and overall front armour advantage over the Panzer IV.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Weekend was spent umpiring Valleycon Flames of War. Here are some shots of the tables. Note: Fort isn't normally part of the table it can be added in via the list that was taken.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

BoBtheImpaler posted:

Plastic Soldier Co. stuff looks great, going to have to use those to finish out my Germans.

I'm real new to FoW still, how does this 3rd ID list look?

Four bazooka teams and AT guns, plus the pioneers assaulting for armor. HMGs and flamethrowers for infantry. Gigantic gently caress ton of artillery for everything. A&P platoon to help when I'm defending. Tiny version of my grandpa leading them. :3: Any glaring deficiencies?

I would drop the M5 3" guns and the HMG platoon. Stick in a platoon of Stuarts. You really need some go forward in the list. The stuarts are great to support your attacking infantry.
I would even drop the Pioneer platoon as the assault platoon is better.
Your best AT is from artillery and your Assault platoon. US have the best artillery in the game. 105 and 155mm guns with time on target will destroy anything you can range in on.

A better option if you need more pioneers is the Combat engineer platoon. Not sure if 3rd ID get them. Pioneer teams with the option to have 2 pioneer HMG teams. The good thing about the platoon is the the HMGs cannot be picked out from the rifle teams (unless your have 4+ or better FP) and you can sneak in a Sherman Dozer which I think is cool.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Pics of the armies which took part:

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
You either like it or you don't. I enjoy Flames of War for several reasons the biggest for me is that I can travel around the country and even the world, play the same game with many different people. I can do this without stressing over the details. Period/points and we can have a fun game.

The downside is a points system is list optimizing. However you can easily play flames of war without points but trying to add a points system to other games is a nightmare.

Tournaments are what the organizer wants it to be. Open events where people can bring and play what they want or themed events. Both are offered this year here in NZ. I will post pics next month where my Kiwis take part in the invasion of Italy 1943. Both events can be done with the ruleset and list structure.

LintMan fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 29, 2012

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

Arquinsiel posted:

Having organised a tournament or two in my time (Warhammer) let me assure you that this is not the case. The tournament tends to be whatever the attendees want it to be, and those who can best bend the game system tend to win easily by bending the tournament system the same way.

If we were talking about the Warhammer community in this country (NZ) I would agree. However the Flames of war players here are very accepting of fun and interesting themes for events.

The Italian invasion themed tournament is run in Timaru. A small town in our South Island. It has drawn players from all other the country and is full up due to restrictions in the size of the hall to run it in.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

Serotonin posted:

What were we saying about FOW and powergaming again? :p

Thats hardly an example of power gaming. I have yet to see the Heavy tanks do as well as they look on paper. They cost a lot of points and need to work hard to get their value back. On attack often they need to assault objectives or advance beyond their infantry support. Due to FoW missions they will most likely be attack a dug in infantry company to win the game.
Every Late war infantry platoon has at least 1 infantry AT weapon which can hurt the Tigers or Panthers and with the assault rules that PIAT or Bazooka will be the last to die.
Defensive fire in V3 also changed, Fire happens within 8" so AT guns spread out across your line will play havoc with any assaulting tanks.
The list proposed does have artillery. Most games will revolve around bombardments and direct fire from the tanks to weaken the defenses before a breakthrough by the armour.
Does this situation not play out the same in other rules sets?

LintMan fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 30, 2012

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Just finished up some British crewed Priest SPGs. Will be painting unit marks for the 98th Royal Artillery Regiment who were equipped with Priests till mid way through 45 where they received their Sextons.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Terrain is very important in any wargame. In FOW the type of terrain and placement greatly impact not only how the game plays but also what types of armies people take.

Infantry have always been powerful in the hands of the players who know their strengths. I generally recommend new players start and army they like as simply buying figures because the internet said they are good is never a way to learn a game.

For terrain here are some example of terrain we put together for our local tournament Valleycon:

LintMan fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 20, 2012

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Its been a while since I painted some of my 28mm WW2 figures. After counting up my "to do" pile I have:

2 boxes of plastic Bolt Action British infantry (for Italy)
1 platoon worth of metal Bolt Action British infantry (European style helmets)
1 platoon worth of metal Bolt Action German infantry
1 6pdr ATG
2 Universal carriers (Still on order from the UK)

Oh dear.

So I decided to paint the 6pdr as it was a relatively easy job. However the model didn't come with instructions and I only found out after I had glued some of the bits in the wrong place.
The 3 crew it came with were wearing the European style helmet so I cut the helmet down on one figure and removed the head from the other. I replaced brain cases with parts from the plastic kits. I also needed a crew of 4 for the ruleset we are using for 28mm (Rules of Engagement) so I made up another figure from the plastics.

I also added a few bits and pieces to the base, Tommy gun, SMLE rifle, shovel and rocks. I also tried to cut down some of the shells so the looked like APDS ammo. I gave up after 1 as the tools I had weren't up for it.

So here they are:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
I am a huge FoW advocate. I have written and submitted lists and articles for their website and I have my name in the V3 rulebook under support. I also play lots of other game systems.

The topic of points vs non points has plagued Wargames for a long time. It's a topic you simply cannot change anyone's mind on.

I personally like a points system. It limits the size of forces needed to have a typical game. If I started a new system it's easy for us to collect forces if we know we are aiming for a defined points total.

Points are great for pickup games that don't require any organization. Scenarios require more planning but can be more rewarding. Flames of War doesn't have to be played with a points system at all. So saying FoW is bad because of a points system isn't really a well thought out argument.