Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Sokrateez posted:

So I'll definitely be going with the American para company box since it comes with lots more than 2 platoons and an HQ but there don't seem to be any straight up grenadierkompanie boxes? I mean footslogger rifle company types? Or am I going to have to piece it together platoon by platoon?

There's two different US Parachute Rifle company boxes, one from D Minus One which has a lot of stuff and one from Hell's Highway that is the stripped down mandatory. They have the same box art but different prices.

If you want straight up grenadiers, you're not gonna find a great box set for them. That being said you could probably make a force using either the 351 grenadierdivision box or the sperrverband box. I'd recommend against the SS box, as those models are gonna have helmet covers (unless you want to do SS of course, as there's all sorts of stuff for them now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

WW2 has limited content, so they'll probably do Pacific at some point. I wouldn't count on it being any time in the near future though, they've got plenty of European stuff to cover yet.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

lilljonas posted:

The entire Early War third of the war, to mention one thing.

I think it's in the pipeline for the next year or two though at least, so there is that.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Lord Commissar posted:

Man, I have no idea at all who I'd play in Early War.

Do you think they'll go all the way back to '39? I'm not sure playing the French would be all that exciting.

The french had some decent tanks back in '40 when the Germans invaded, but they were using antiquated tactics. I think early war would be quite a bit more interesting than it turned out to be.

And hell, the French can't be less interesting than playing some of the Eastern Front minor axis powers.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

FirstCongoWar posted:

Early War is supposed to be out this year, they've been hyping it for a while.

I want to play the French. :(

I want to play the poles. Plenty of people play germans as it is.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Yeah, the newer books (Cobra and on) all have graphical representations of what goes on what base. German MG teams are gonna be one team of 5 men (NCO with SMG, 2 riflemen, and 2 guys with an MG-42) and one team of 4 men (two riflemen, 2 guys with an MG-42) per squad. Rifle/MG squads will only have one team with an MG-42.

But the main thing as far as Rifle teams, MG teams and Rifle/MG teams go is that Rifle teams have no machine guns, Rifle/MG teams have one machine gun per two teams (or 3 teams in the case of falschirmjaegers) and MG Teams have a machine gun in each team. So long as you follow that rule, you'll be set.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Lord Commissar posted:

Well, then that brings me back to my question. Do SMGs count in that rule? If so, I may have to buy more infantry.

As long as you have the proper amount of men and machine guns on a base, replacing a rifle with an SMG here or there probably won't make much of a difference. Personally I wouldn't put more than one on a base.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Lord Commissar posted:

I have this: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1354

As long as there's enough rifles so that it's not gonna be confused with a soviet SMG company, SMGs here and there won't make a difference.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

BeigeJacket posted:

Questions,

A combined arms force works best right? A whole bunch of army lists from The Internet have tanks with a min inf choice, which seems kinda boring, whereas I was thinking of having a bit of everything, take all comers type of army.

Do you have to have the plane models on the board to represent air forces or are they 'off camera'

Is Festung Europa (or whatever the gently caress it's called nowadays) the go to book for LW lists? This game really isn't easy to get into with it's million supplements...

Ideally I'd like to go for an 8th army force, but everyone else at my club is collecting european theatre forces and my sand based dudes will look a bit out of place. It looks like it's going to be either the Soviets or the Finns (are these guys any good at all?).

Lots of people like tank companies because nerds like tanks. They aren't really any better or worse than mechanised or infantry companies.

Planes have models, and come on the board in their phase.

Fortress Europe has generic lists for the Late War period. You can however find an 7th Armoured Division list for use in europe in the Villers Bocage supplement if you want to do Desert Rats in Europe. On the other hand, the Soviets have some darned good lists in both Fortress Europe and the Bagration books. Finns have a Mid-War list in Eastern Front, and they might have a Late War pdf on the website, but I'm not positive.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Has a different gun and mantlet, and better armour protection.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

No Pun Intended posted:

Anyone know some good painting tutorials for US Armour for FoW?

Here's one I'm kinda fond of

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

SpinyNorman867 posted:

If I have the grenadiers from the Festungskompanie box, can I later upgrade them to panzergrenadiers just by adding the necessary trucks or halftracks? Are panzergrenadier models different and non-interchangeable? They seem to be equipped more or less the same.

The only real difference (I think) is going to be the piping on their shoulders, so you should probably be okay.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

torsoboy posted:

As I see it, ROF is analogous to attacks in Warhammer. Does this make Germans (many of which are machinegun teams) strictly better than Americans (most of them are rifle teams) in a firefight?

Yes and no. Comparing individual teams the german panzergrenadiers are superior, but americans will have more men than germans, and are more mobile on foot thanks to the semi-auto rifles rule.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'm looking to get out of Flames of War, if anyone's interested in the 75 dollar US paratrooper box for 50 dollars shipped, shoot me a PM or something. It's been opened but everything should be there.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I just finished painting the core of a US rifle company, on monday I get to put them up for sale since there's no way I can afford the support :smith:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

The other big motivator to sell is that the only person I know who plays is my boss, and everyone else is a crazy fat neckbearded grognard 30 years older than me that all love nazis unironically. I really just can't relate, and I'm also an anti-social goon. Sooooo. :ohdear:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Lord Commissar posted:

Post pictures.

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

:effort:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Chenghiz posted:

Hey those are great looking. Needs more tanx though.

Yeah that's why I've got to sell them because I totally can't afford tanks and artillery and planes and tank destroyers and aaaaaaah :v:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Totally grabbing some water-cooled M1917 HMGs today as retail therapy. And because I'm totally not selling my rifles.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Don't show me shermans, I just played my first FoW game and lost horribly as the Americans just drowned my in them. "Oh, you killed eight of my Shermans? Here's some more!"

The reason I lost though was that I didn't know how simple it is to take objectives in FoW, and the drat Americans just entered my rear with five truckloads of GIs. That's when I was told the objective rules, with me having nothing that hadn't been torn to shreds by Sherman machineguns in range. Serves me right.

sounds like someone needs to buy a few king tigers :smug:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

Reading up on Flames of War seems I can get a panzerkompanie rolling for rondabouts 500 American bucks.

Would I also want a king tiger or two?

I'd say you could swing it for about $350 USD if you want a tourney sized force, it all depends on how much you want to get. And unless you're really looking to cut monetary costs, I'd avoid tigers. There's a ton of options for germans without having to go the super-heavy tank route.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Fortress Europe king tigers are basically a stationary gun for a ton of points that will need to be hit by air support or artillery to die, ever. But you pay a ton of points for that stationary gun, and you can get cheaper ones on jagdtigers or PaK43s. Don't get me wrong, they are cool as hell, but they aren't really cost effective. But since you want to play germans, I'd say just get whatever you think is cool and go with it. Germans have a hell of a lot of sweet options, and different routes to go down. One of these days I'll do a STuG Batterie. :3:

By jagdtigers I mean jagdpanthers whoops. Aint no jagdtigers yet.

Devlan Mud fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 6, 2010

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

All the accelerant I had to spray to get these machine gun barrels in place is making me woozy. :350:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

S.J. posted:

Fuckin' Flames of War, now I'm gonna have to start playing that drat game. Found I can pretty much make a 2k Mid War Ranger battalion for like 125$, and I'm all over that poo poo.

125 bucks is a really good intro price, I'd say go for it. 2k for my late war GIs is looking close to 300-350 more bucks.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Are they actually expanding that past the battle of la drang valley box set? I was under the impression it was a one-off thing.

Pretty sure infantry armies end up being more expensive just because while the actual core of your force is cheap, the support is what bites you in the butt as far as cost go.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

moths posted:

Yeah, I understand that and it makes sense. It's just not the game for me.

I picked up a blister of 10mm Greeks from the same store, and I'm actually pumped about replacing their lead gummy-spears with cut paperclip ones.

Do mid-war italians :unsmith:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Il Duce is much displeased with you :smith:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

moths posted:

Does anybody know anything about GW's The Great War? All I've read is that it's basically 40k (Including stuff like strength:toughness wound charts???) and each model counts as three guys. This seems nutty and needlessly cumbersome.

e: TTMaB looks like it might be worth checking out, thanks!

There's a copy at the local store, and I paged through it a bit, it looks a heck of a lot like 4th Edition 40k, except with krauts and frogs and mark IV tanks.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Peter Cushing was pretty awesome in just about every way.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

LintMan posted:

More FOW. This time some Shermans to go with my infantry.

Are these just on FoW large bases? I love the combined arms look of the shermans, I might steal the idea when I get around to doing my :derp: WAFFEN-SS :derp:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Finally finished my M1917 water-cooled machine gun platoon for Flames of War. Well, except the bazookas, which I don't have yet. Backlog -1 !

Next up is a platoon of combat engineers.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

In our gaming group it's obligatory to make a BANG or POW or other gun sound when you are required to kill a team with the komissar.

Best house rule.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

On thinking about it, every time I mix up a batch of Feldgrau for my Germans I end up getting five bases fully done and leaving the other two sort of half-finished. I have no idea why this keeps happening. I probably should start taking two squad platoons or something.....

Man as long as your poo poo is painted mad props. Our soviet player only has like 1/6 of his army painted, but he's got some leeway since he's a kid. Still though, painted armies are the best. Paint more!

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

A weekend's worth of painting just knocked out my FoW infantry backlog, along with 4 trucks. Almost finished painting what I own for that game now :woop:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Sokrateez posted:

Excuse me sir the oath event hasn't started yet :colbert: (those look great)

I'm trying to finish my backlog before that :ssh:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Picked up the FoW Art of War 2 today, and for some reason want to paint up my grenadiers with all sorts of tiny insignia. I wonder if PV stocks 10/0 brushes :suicide:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Lord Commissar posted:

These ships are tiny!

If you think those are tiny, my store is the distributor for the 1:2400 ships shown in the Trafalgar rulebook :v: Now those are tiny.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Serotonin posted:

As I always say, and not to besmirch lilljonas' excellent effort, 6mm is the easiest scale to paint by far.

After you paint different scales, you realize the smaller you go the easier it gets :)

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

ManMythLegend posted:

Can someone tell me why most miniature companies focus almost exclusively on casting in metal? Maybe I'm way off, but it seems like it would be so much easier and cheaper to cast in plastic, especially for smaller companies.

Because pewter and resin uses cheap rubber and ceramic molds, while plastic requires expensive milled steel molds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

You are not helping my itch to get into 1/35 historicals at all. I still have a pair of 1/72 Pzkpfw 38 (t)s to paint!