Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Guess I should cross-post this from the general miniatures thread:

Cthulu Carl posted:

I've been slowly working on a unit of Scots Covenanters from Warlord Games's 'Pike & Shotte" range. First one done is the ensign.

(Camera is acting up, so I had to settle for a cell phone pic)

The eyes are a little gonked, but overall I'm happy with him. I based his clothing off a picture from one of the plates in Osprey's Scots Armies of the English Civil Wars, and tried to make the flag follow as closely as possible to the different examples I was able to find.

The flag itself is just paper and the second one I've attempted. I might tear it off and try to make a wavier one later. And I'm saving the flocking for when I have more done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Please tell me they're not braking and that just how the running gear always is

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

great models but insanely expensive. i messaged the dude to ask if he sells stls but i suspect he won't as the margin from the printing is probably a not insignificant part of his profit. worth a try anyway.

anyone else got a big repository of ww2 ships and aircraft? 1/2400 is what i'm looking at but 1/1200 too. interested in playing sam mustafa's new game, Nimitz, when it drops

I've been ever so slowly working on a version of this model kit set but it's 1/3000

There's also this set in 1/1200. Looks like all the rest of the 1/1200 category on HLJ is discontinued poo poo.

Edit: If you have access to a 3d printer, this person makes WW2 ships for several nations, looks like normally in 1/1800.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 1, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You might be able to just to make an ever so slightly larger base and bring it into the slicer and put it over the existing base and print away! I did something similar on accident and ended up merging two stls into a bizzare and unholy union.

Absurd clipping is just what tabletop games need to start pulling people over from video games, so I approve of this union.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tias posted:

Any line in on good bronze/iron age soldiers, preferably gaul, roman, assyrian/babylonian? I'll take STLs as well

Wargames Atlantic has Legionaires and Goths, Persians, and Dark Age Irish

They're MyMiniFactory storefront also has things like Hoplites, Gladiators, and Jewish Revolt dudes

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Here's possibly a dumb question, but are there any ruleset that cover small-scale, skirmish battles? I'm talking on the scale of Kill Team or Frostgrave/Stargrave - like 10-20 dudes on a side, and on a 3'x3' max table.

That just seems to be the size game that I can get into.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

3 Action Economist posted:

Plenty of them!

Which era are you looking for?

Literally any.

Like, I have Silver Bayonet and and thinking of getting The Last War so I've been looking for good Napoleonic and WWI models, but the way my idiot brain works, you could probably throw any ruleset at me and I'll be like "Oh neat! Can't wait to paint vikings/SAS/cavemen/samurai/warships!"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

spectralent posted:

Nordic Weasel started out there - Five Men in Normady/At Kursk and so on.

I have 5 Parsecs and 5 Leagues like 5 feet away and still forgot about Nordic Weasel. :negative:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Comstar posted:

...why does he have a control yoke.

I dunno the rules, but I bet if it had mechanics for working the controls instead of just moving (Like how Gaslands hands gears), some kind of visual aid to show those setting would be good.

And even if not, why NOT have a control yoke?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Picked up Five Men At Kursk and Where Sten Guns Dare. Will probably start working on minis for Where Sten Guns Dare soonish because commando raid movies are neat and the squad creation rules say:

quote:

In war movie tradition, one of the characters must be a foreigner.

Suggestions can include the odd Yank, a Russian immigrant, a defecting German or characters from occupied Europe (Danes, Czechs, Poles and so forth).

If you opt to do a campaign using an American Ranger squad instead, you must include a character from stereotypically rural state (Alabama f.x.) and you must include a character from New York.

And that kind of silly, strictly-for-fluff rule is something I support.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

I love when I buy a bunch of STLs I completely forget about, like nicely detailed 28mm French line infantry or an entire range of 15mm samurai

Are those samurai from Smol Miniatures? I've been thinking about getting some.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

Yep! Pretty impressive set.

Well then. That's not gonna help my backlog...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

I’m utterly new to miniatures and tabletop gaming in general really, but I’ve been burning through the Aubrey/Maturin novels the last few months and got the Black Seas starter set.

Ah, so you have brain like mine that reads a bit about something or sees a show, movie, youtube video, or game on Steam and goes "Huh, I wonder if there's a good tabletop game for that..."

Somehow last week I went from "Hmm, should I pick up U-Boat or Cold Waters..." and now I'm researching rulesets and minis from a bunch of navel periods... :negative:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's probably more to do with the surge in authoritarianism/neo-fascism that's been happening in regards to modern politics (both here in the US and elsewhere) over the last few years. I can understand why it might make someone feel a bit uneasy about playing the Germans in a WW2 game, or the Confederacy in an American Civil War game, when there are people proudly displaying some of the same symbolism and slogans in the present day.

I'd also say it's one of those things that just periodically pops up in regards to historical wargaming, every so often the topic of "do I really want to play the Germans in a WW2 game" comes up, because the person asking that question is usually worried they're going to be lumped in with a bunch of wehraboos. Normally I'd just joke and say "have the other side play the Russians, that way you've got two historically brutally repressive regimes fighting each other", but nowadays that joke doesn't seem quite as funny any more.

The trick is to play Germans, but paint them as Tomainians and loudly declare that you are fighting against machine men with machine minds and machine hearts.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I'm a weak man and after just a little bit of watching videos about naval video games now have Osprey's Fighting Sail and Henry Turner's 1:2400 Napoleonic ships.

Oh and Castles in the Sky and a couple fleets from Brigade on the way, but that's a different matter.

Gonna print and paint a lotta teeny tiny boats.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gonna try getting into Fighting Sail, so I painted up a couple ships to learn using the Frigate Duel version in the book.

So here's USS Constellation and La Vengeance using the 1:2400 scale USS Constitution and Hermione models from on of Henry Turner's Napoleonic ship packs

Note's to self: A) Good god, 1:2400 is tiny... B) Maybe print out some flags for next time instead of handpainting.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

Did you play a game yet? I've got my two mostly painted half-fleets but haven't gotten them to the table yet. I bought two fleets from Tumbling Dice but I figure 3-4 ships per side is probably about right for a skirmish-level game on a 3' square board so returned one.

Not yet, but I have another three day weekend now (since covid, my company has usually made Memorial Day a four-day weekend, but this time decided to declare this week a three-day week? :shrug:) so I'm going to try to get a frigate duel in.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tias posted:

Anyone have or know about good fantasy / viking / saga appropriate STLs?

Wargames Atlantic's digital "branch" has berserkers, Shieldmaidens, Saxon bits, and The Battle of Stamford Bridge Norse

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Finally got in that game of Fighting Sail. Did the Frigate Duel variant with USS Constellation versus La Vengeance, and after little over a half hour (Including time spent re-reading rules), Constellation was sinking to Davy Jones's locker.

I really only had two issues with the rules. One was user error - I had issues keeping track of the sailing points until I stopped being a dummy and kept the success dice out for each ship and put them away as I spent the points. The other was part rules, part user error - I just struggled with how anchor tokens work, and kept forgetting to apply those effects when needed.

Overall, good game, found it fun, will probably get a couple small fleets together now.

It was pretty funny watching the seriously damaged Constellation essentially tank a raking shot to her bow at one point.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

tiny boats freaking rule

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

Gonna shill for Smol Miniatures again because I can't believe I missed their latest kickstarter. That's the guy that did the insanely broad 15mm Samurai range, and now he's back with 15mm Vikings/Saxons/Normans

For $40!!...
This is the core set, but then every stretch goat got met, so you also have almost all of the same units again for Saxons and for Normans and extra stuff like monks and peasants.

Seriously, the value is insane, so go check it out while you can still late pledge via MMF - https://www.myminifactory.com/campaigns/viking-warfare-smol-miniatures-2344

I'd been thinking about getting this dude's samurai, but gently caress it, I'll do the vikings.

And get the samurai later and have them fight

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Anyone have a good source for 15mm medieval figures in the US? I have a 3D printer so I have some Dark Age and medieval stuff for it already, but I'd like to check out tiny pewter dudes too for things like Lion Rampant.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

LatwPIAT posted:

I'm going down a rabbithole of wanting to research ways late medieval/early renaissance warfare have been gamified (for a tabletop RPG), especially at the smaller scale. What are some good miniature games I could look to for 15th Century warfare? This is of course a period that spans a sea change in combat, but I'm mostly interested in specifically the Hussite Revolt and the 1470+ period of pike squares becoming the dominant form of warfare.

I've glanced a bit at games like Pike & Shotte and By Fire And Sword, but these are primarily concerned with 16th Century warfare, when firearms have really starting to come into their own—not quite the period I'm looking at.

I dunno anything about it, but was just searching on what you said, but maybe look into Impetus?? One of the warbooks looks to have a section on the 15th Century and a section for Hussites

EDIT: Lion Rampant has a sample army list for Hussites as well so should work

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 8, 2024

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

soviet elsa posted:

I guess my question is can I paint DAK and not be labelled/heiled as a Nazi-lover?

Paint all the the nazi stuff you want and when it comes time to put the emblems on, give 'em the Tomainian double cross emblem and declar that you're fighting against unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

That reminds me, I still need to give Where Sten Guns Dare a try - a game that right at the beginning "There's not moral ambiguity, we're here to fight Nazis and blow things up", and enemy types are Collaborator ("Cretinous cowards"), Fascists Goon ("Faceless Stormtroopers") and Fascist Elite/boss ("Faceless stormtrooper who just had bratwurst")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Has anyone tried Nordic Weasel's History Dad?