Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

INinja132 posted:

That does look pretty cool actually, is there any word on when it will be "complete"?

Their facebook page has regular updates on its development. It's playable now (if you have an apple device), but definitely still in the alpha stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I co-wrote that Goonhammer article. For me the advantage of using the app was that I literally didn't have to look at the rulebook once during play and it tracked everything for me like unit states, casualties, etc.

I think its promising for really big games with tons of units and/or convention games where you have a lot of new players and not much time to teach them the rules. With an AR app you can just have them download the app, give them a couple of quick instructions, and the app does the rest.

edit: or if you want your game to have very complex calculations, like realistic armor penetration mechanics.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

I'm planning on printing out some ancients (I have republican, imperial, and late romans to pick from) and I can't decide on an era, scale, basing, or ruleset :'(

Help me goons, I'm too indecisive. If it helps, 6x4 is the absolute max I could play, I'd prefer 4x3.

If you want to use them for SAGA you can do 28mm. I think only the Republican Romans have a battle board at the moment.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Active wargaming clubs are a lot more prevalent in the UK than in the US. It's a small subculture, but they've been at it since the 70s.

Yeap, there's something like 3 active historical gaming clubs in Southern California for a population of 24 million people.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

is BA generally considered better than CoC? Or is it that it’s just more widely available and more 40k-alike?

I think it really depends on what you're looking for. BA easily supports tournaments and pickup games. With CoC it's more difficult and you're kinda limited to scenario play.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm starting to experiment with moving some of my wargaming down from 28mm to smaller scales. I wanted to get an idea on what basing schemes are popular. How do you all like to base your 6mm-15mm minis for mass battle games?

It looks like at 15mm scale a lot of people go with either 40x20mm bases or 40x40 square bases for their minis, I'm guessing because it is flexible in terms of formation changes.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Springfield Fatts posted:

What period are you going for? Anything pre-musket can follow the same scheme, it's only once you start getting into pike & shot or later you have to start thinking about formations and poo poo like that. I started with the 40x20 route when I didn't have a large play space but since moving I've gone over to the Big Base DBA System as it has a little more spectacle without a ton more models.

Right now I'm leaning towards Samurai in 15mm, or possibly 6mm.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Did you post about this on facebook recently? Because I answered exactly this question yesterday. :P

Otherwise I have some samurai ideas.

I did, yes. Small world!

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Baron's War is way more granular, from what I remember. Like, each guy has various weapon and equipment options that affect what stats/abilities they have. I think it's supposed to be more of a warband type game.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

I'm quite pleased with how this 10mm star fort is looking - I got it as a 3D model from Project Diratia on MyMiniFactory and it was split in a really silly way, but other than a wonky corner it's printed out quite well I think and certainly is as imposing as I hoped it to be. Now to figure out some siege rules...

Hey, we're working on similar projects! I bought the same fort during the winter MMF sale. Did you end up making any modifications to the file to fix the weird splits?

I'm going to be trying to wargame the siege of Malta, so let me know what rules you end up using.

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering, is anyone aware of any good Bolt Action scenarios? Doesn't matter if they're official or unofficial - just preferably non-themed like the core book's scenarios, if that's an option. (Since I use an Italian Alpini force, while my friend uses the Romanian army. So yeah, not really any suitable campaign books for us :v: )

There are a bunch of free scenarios up on Warlord's website under the articles section. The Case Blue book has scenarios for Romanians and Alpini, but not against each other (obviously).

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

edit: doublepost

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, agreed. A friend of mine was initially dubious, but after seeing how easy it makes it at a glance, he's come around to the idea and is going to implement a similar system. Regarding your 'easy on the eye' comment though, yeah that's my aim - however, uh... I ran low on colours, so I actually have a purple- and an orange-rimmed mortar and howitzer team, respectively. So easy on the eye for most, while... horribly garish for others :v: (Perhaps I should've bought more paints, or mixed some! Ah well, they definitely stand out at least, haha)

Also, regarding Bolt Action still - what's the largest scale game anyone here has played? My aim is to play a 4000pt (possibly a little over) with a friend in the near future, seeing as we've both accumulated many, many men and vehicles. Mostly shonky ones on my part, since I just love all the cute, defective Italian armoured vehicles! :D
Anyway, I'm mostly wondering about how large-scale games go, really. I played a 2300pt game at the end of last game, which actually went pretty quickly compared to our earlier 1000pt games. So... hopefully it doesn't blow out the playtime too much, having four times the recommended point total!

My recommendation is to activate 3-4 units per dice pull to speed things up.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Springfield Fatts posted:

I know this isn't SA mart but you guys would probably be the only ones who care, selling my 6mm stuff.

Dark Age Viking & Normans: https://ibb.co/album/wZ6gdN

Cold War British: https://ibb.co/album/7v1kyN

Cold War Soviets: https://ibb.co/album/TMhVGX

PM if in the US and interested, mods yell at me if you want me to move post.

Weird, I just encountered this on ebay right before coming here.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Speaking of KS, I just finally got my shipping email from Fireforge from their Samurai KS. Six boxes of plastic soldiers on the way! This is what I need to make enough troops for two opposing armies.

Man, they really botched the delivery of the KS to their backers. I didn't back the kickstarter and I was able to buy the entire range from an online retailer over a month ago.

The models are pretty nice, but wait until you see the weirdness with the torsos/legs.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Lol is it worse than the Warlord games samurai?

And yes, boxes were seen in the wild in August. Getting your Early Bird kickstarter pledge in March makes that a bit of a bummer. But to be 100% honest it's not like I've had the spare time to paint them up anyway.

The fit is ok, it's the proportion of legs to torsos that's the issue. A sprue of Ashigaru come with six torsos and nine sets of legs. It's super frustrating to have everything you need to make 12 more models, except for the torsos.

Meanwhile, the Samurai cav come with 12 sets of legs but 24 torsos, for some reason. They're slightly smaller than the non-cav torsos so they only work with some models and not others. It's a bit of a head-scratcher.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

Just ordered the starter pack of Victrix 12mm WW2 models because it's 192 minis for $50.

Now I just have to figure out what rules I want to play! I'm maybe leaning O-Group since I think battalion scale would be most interesting to me, and open me up for better combined arms stuff once I build out my collection more. Thoughts on O-Group? Is there a similar ruleset that does it better?

Only thing is it's weird for Victrix to include M4A3s since I don't think the Brits got any leased to them? Nitpick though, since I can just run it as an M4A4 at such a small scale.

The victrix 12mm WW2 stuff rules.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

spectralent posted:

I was worried :D

I'm back on my 3D printing bullshit and looking at a bunch of 15mm sengoku models i got in a kickstarter years ago. Is there anything decent for mass-battle japan stuff? Ideally something built for it that has some flavour - nothing against pike and shot but it's pretty generic.

If you mean rules, there are a couple I've heard are in development, but won't be available for another year or so.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

Oh hell yeah, that's exciting, however:

This annoys me more than it rightfully should (I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for it)

This is totally perplexing. Are they just loving with us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Button counter twitch in my eye. They do look quick to paint though, which is a plus.

E: the French army looks, IMHO, much better suited for a 1813/14 campaign than Russia. There are some smaller issues that will not upset anyone but a very dyed in the wool French collector, but the uniforms are the "Bardin" 1812 regulation uniforms that were not worn by the troops marching into Russia. The differences, especially in the jacket design, is quite noticable.

As a generic, later 1st Empire army that doesn't take ages to paint? Probably a good option! As a Campaigne de Russie army? An unfortunate label.

Yeah, I used to subscribe to his Patreon but the uniform inaccuracies that are never fixed seem to be becoming more and more frequent.