Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lord Commissar posted:

Yeah, get D Minus 1.
gently caress this, get Hell's Highway. Market Garden units with, oddly, more choices available to them. It also has Falschirmjaeger and Guard's Armoured and Foot companies in there, so for a 30% ish investment you can work a pretty good

No Pun Intended posted:

3) I hate StuGs

:words:

I still hate StuGs.
I love StuGs. I use a platoon of four in my GrenadierKompanie and they tend to tear around a flank and then gently caress around behind the enemy tearing poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Battlefront stuff tends to be either extremely nice and well cast or dodgy as hell with broken resin and filled-in metal. I had to spend a good two hours gouging the tracks of a Panzer III clear once. I would have complained except I knew the Schurzen would hide it and I didn't know how good they were with replacing stuff.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
THere's a bunch of guys who do viking re-enactment that I know. They dress up all period and go camping for the weekend at shows and the like. To give you an idea of how hardcore they are, their two drinking games are "The Hammer Game" and "The Axe Game".

The hammer game starts with you hitting a nail into a log with one whack. Then you take a drink, the next guy has a go and when everyone is finished you start again but do it with TWO nails.

The axe game is just them throwing an axe at a tree, and every time it doesn't stick in the thrower (or everyone watching) has to take a drink.

Nutters.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trouble Man posted:

I love them too, but Flames of War doesn't really model the difference between turret and hull-mounted guns particularly well. So it just kind of feels like StuGs are sort of better than Panzer IVs most of the time.
It does and it doesn't. The Panzer IV has much better RoF with the Co-Ax and Hull-mounted MGs. It can also wave the turret around! But it can also wave the turret around and end up having no front arc for incoming fire....

StuG's are also just more fun TBH.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lord Commissar posted:

Yeah, we played our first FoW game(s) last weekend with the Open Fire! box, and I didn't get why the did turrets/arcs like that. The front armor on a tank has nothing to do with where the turret is facing.
The logic is that your troops are not retards and if they see the back of the turret they'll aim up a bit rather than at the thickest part of the armour.

Roma posted:

I got the 'Open Fire' starter set for FoW, but thought it wasn't a very good introduction to the game. It's good to have a small rulebook and a few tanks, but the introduction missions are so boring I struggled to get into them. I think they really need some infantry and maybe some artillery or something to make it a more fun introduction.

That said, I fully intend to get into this game. I just hope it's a lot more fun than the introduction missions were. I've read battle reports and it really seems to get great when you have a large variety of units.

My only other experience with wargaming are Games Workshop games.
My first ever game was a 700 point large skirmish with about three infantry platoons and one tank platoon a side. It was more fun that the entirety of my GW games career (barring stuff liek Necromunda and Blood Bowl) and we were playing on a step-through system of "I want to move now, what page is movement on?" the whole time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

No Pun Intended posted:

I don't really object to how the rules function now. I am just not so keen on never running out of dice.
You can run out of planes. Most air support choices I've seen have been three or less. You don't get to keep rolling if they've all been shot down.

Lord Commissar posted:

I'll admit I don't know if this is the case, but it would seem to me like a turret would be armored the same way all around.
My research leads me to tentively state "they are not" but I'm not 100% on that. In any case, the magazine tends to be at the back of the turret anyway, so aim up and pray for a breach.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

No Pun Intended posted:

Well not for that attack run, but next turn you can call them back for more.
Well that's kind of the idea. The dice pool just represents how much priority your requests are given at HQ and makes it slightly more likely that you'll get any airborne support that's available. It makes sense that you might lose an entire flight one turn and be able to use the flight that just returned from a mission and landed somewhere else next turn.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

twistedmentat posted:

I bought the Start Set and German late war infantry (GE722), and I want to play a Panzer Grenider force. For a force, I want to be able to field something that contains Panzers, tank destroyers, and half track mounted infantry. From what I know, the best kind of force I'd want is the stuff that would have been defending against Operation Market Garden or assaulting during the Battle of the Bulge.

Anyways, is there a force where the organization appears on the website, or is there a book I should get that has said forces. Considering both of them are major events, I'd assume there would be books that deal with both events.
Arnhem is out next month, but the Fortress Europe book covers pretty much anything you would want to make from the ETO with the exception of Allied Airbourne units. I also bought the GE722 set and really... shouldn't have. It's cheaper to buy Panzergrenadier platoon boxes or just buy the company as a whole. IIRC the Panzer Lehr armybox is a pretty decent deal (if it's still around....). The army unit choices are relatively liberal though. You can generally use most things you would buy, but not necessarily all at once.

twistedmentat posted:

Also, can someone tell me if Firestorm Campaign is a stand alone game, or is it a campaign system?
Both.

twistedmentat posted:

Lastly, is there a guide to say which citadel paints correspond with the WW2 colours? I googled around, and was unable to do it.
They don't. If you want to be really off just go with "best guess" but otherwise go with Vallejo.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LintMan posted:

Are you after Armoured Panzergrenadiers or Motorized?

twistedmentat posted:

Mechanized, so tanks and halftacks.
To clarify this for you, they are both Mechanised but Armoured and Motorised are different things. Armoured are transported in SDK 251 halftracks. Motorised are transported in SDK 70 trucks. There's slight mobiliy differences on the table comparing on/off roading abilities and there's a rough 30% increase in points to use the Armoured variety (also the models will be easier to find).

I reccomend getting the following:
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=518 X 1
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=506 X 2

Or just get one platoon box and buy four halftracks individually to mount your current platoon. In the end you will probably find you'll want to use three full platoons at least once so getting a box AND four halftracks probably won't hurt in the long run.

While I'm at it Fortress Europe is primarily late-1944 themed and has the following lists:

German
  • Panzerkompanie - Tanks.
  • Gepanzerte Panzergrenadierkompanie - Half-tracked Infantry.
  • Panzergrenadierkompanie - Trucked Infantry.
  • Grenadierkompanie - Bog standard Infantry.
  • Fallschirmjägerkompanie - Paratroopers.

British
  • Armoured Squadron/Armoured Recce Squadron - Tanks Sherman/Cromwells.
  • Motor Company - Half-tracked Infantry.
  • Rifle Company - Bog standard Infantry.
  • Armoured Car Squadron - What it says on the tin.

American
  • Tank Company - What it says on the tin.
  • Armoured Rifle Company - Half-tracked Infantry.
  • Rifle Company - Bog standard Infantry.
  • Cavalry Recon Troop - Armoured Cars.

Soviet
  • Tankovy Batallion - Tank Company, HUGE variety of tanks.
  • Motostrelkovy Batallion - Infantry with truck transport platoon options.
  • Strelkovy Batallion - Bog standard Infantry.

Note 1: Soviets field Batallions instead of Companies, Companies instead of Platoons and Platoons instead of Sections. In practice this just means a terminology shift and a lot more bases. It's to represent the manpower advantage they had.

Note 2: the main difference between Tank and Infantry Companies is obvious. The main difference between one Infantry Company and another is basically just the Divisional Support and Weapons Platoon choices available, integral transport options in Combat Platoons or something as simple as motivation or skill. German Grenadiers, for example, can use pretty much any unit in any other list in support.

If people want I can list the forces in eight or nine other books. Also, see specific unit lists here: http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 11, 2010

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

Warstore, Strelkovy Platoon, 40 infantry, $18.00
Old Glory, infantry bag, 50 infantry, $18.00

That's the one that I can find that is the most favourable to Battlefront miniatures, if you go on a per miniature cost.

Due to the bag sizes however, I'd say you end up paying a little bit more with OG but you end up with far more miniatures, some of which you might not have use for. If you are a beginner I can totally see the point with going the official miniatures since you get them all sorted out, with no extras and with bases and all that.

Also I'm a dirty European who'd have to pay extra shipping from the Warstore anyway, and compared to local prices the OG is much cheaper than what FoW retail for over here.
I've found that the Battlefront miniatures can be a bit difficult to figure out at times. I spent ages trying to work out what the squatting guy holding what looks like lego binoculars is doing (he's holding the bipod of an MG32 that sits on his shoulder....) and generally they include a lot of optional stuff in the packages.

Also, never buy blisters unless you absolutely have to, they're far more expensive than buying full platoons with all the options, and you'll get a better variety of miniatures in the tank ones. It's usually a saving of about 25% going with boxes in my experience.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Barry the Sprout posted:

I do understand that there is traditionally a bit of a separation between the two types of war-games, but I can't really see why to be honest.
I know of one reason why I didn't get into Hex'n'chit and I can guess that not wanting to muck about with toy soldiers is why he Hex'n'chit types don't... muck about with toy soldiers.

For me the killer was attempting to play an old Avalon Hill boxed game named "Panzer Leader" or similar. I think it was a hugely simplified ASL rulesset, but the rules for stackign were broken in it. Simply put, attackers added the values of any four chits in a stack and compared it to ALL of he values in a defensive stack. It was at this point that Nazi Germany won the second world war by dividing it's forces into a number of stacks equal to the number of objectives and turtling on said objectives until turn limit. Russia was not pleased. We never played it again.

IE: loving stupid rules.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lord Commissar posted:

Eh, you can have stupid rules in any game.

I think it's more that the miniature games have miniatures - it's another aspect of the hobby. For people who don't like minis and/or measuring distance, &c., a hex-based chit game is better.

I like both.

EDIT: Do people actually collect these "patches" that come in FoW blisters?
I think it was just bad luck, but the layout of rules was worse than GW's and it generally made little sense so we just gave up and went to play Bloodbowl instead.

I was wondering what they were for, but never really got around to finding out. I presume they're just to make it look more interesting.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lord Commissar posted:

I got all my FoW Soviets, now I just have to put them on their bases so I can play (and then prime, paint, and flock them).

I bought too many HQs, I think; I didn't realize the Battalion HQ came with so much. Oh well. One can never have enough Soviets!

EDIT: Does it matter if I throw in some of the SMG guys for my platoons, since the blisters come with them, even though I'm not using them? I'm not sure how WYSIWYG Flames of War is.

The SMG guys are msot likely your NCO's.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sokrateez posted:

Suppose I'll just go with a late German HQ and 2 late grenadier platoons, since they seemed to have discontinued the grenadierkompanie box. Now I just have to decide which army to start with!
If you get the Festungs Kompanie box you will not regret it. This I promise you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I totally want to play the Czechs. P-38(t) horde? Yes please.

SpinyNorman867 posted:

I'm looking to do something similar to Sokrateez and have seen this boxed set too. I don't have any rule or army books yet and I have no idea what makes this a better choice than the other boxed sets of similar size or price. Can you give me a few more details?
You get the standard command with both anti-tank options, three snipers, three light mortars, three heavy mortars, three platoons of Grenadiers with enough MG's to make them into MG squads rather then Rifle/MG squads if desired, four little bases of guys popping out of holes in the ground with MG's and (I think) three Renault R-35 tank turrets mounted as pillboxes as well as enough Panzerknacker figures to take that option for all platoons and your company command. Bases for everything.

Battlefront are also a tiny bit dodgy with their packaging, I have once gotten a HMG platoon with on spotter replaced by a random figure and no stowage or crew in tank blisters. However, with the large boxes you occasionally (in all three company boxes I've opened anyway) find that they've given you about fifteen guys more than you need above and beyond the normal options. This *generally* allows you to get a minimum size extra platoon of some kind out of them if you can get a spare few bases.

[EDIT]While I'm at it, if you do things like take one guy off every base you can stretch them even further. With a bit of cleverness you'd easily make a three-platoon Grenadierkompanie with a full HMG and one-section mortar platoons.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 16, 2010

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

The French were beaten by superior strategy and superior tactics, not superior equipment.
Nah, they were beaten because nobody would ever try the same invasion plan twice right? Anyway, modern warfare is too dependant on tanks. Nobody can get tanks through the Ardennes.....

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Looks like all bases are covered really. Got your artillery, tanks, anti-tank and some grunts. The air support I don't really trust, but there's not a lot you can get for 150 points really. If you want to switch it for anything I'd say a MG platoon, but I dunno the costs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's the rules. They also have a slightly different turret shape IIRC.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Hey eurofags: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1748

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lord Commissar posted:

In IRC we were coming up with some scenarios/forces for Ambush Alley that would be less offensive:

* Panama
* Grenada
* Chechnya
* Israel/Palestine (okay, that might offend)
* Some kind of Blood Diamond Conflict scenario

I guess I just see no reason to make it US v. Arabs or something.

http://madaboutgaming.blogspot.com/2009/10/bongadishu-goes-bang.html this was run again at a convention here a while back, but with Ambush Alley instead of Force on Force rules, justs piles and piles of militia dudes with guns running around and getting shot at. Apparently it was awesome.

That IRA vs Black and Tans would be AWESOME specifically because people are still pissed off about it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BeigeJacket posted:

This is the kind of thing that has put me off moderns. Every bat rep or mission for this kind of thing always has the most adolescent, offensive make-believe story or setting. "Hay guys check out this AAR of my US marines slaughtering the militia of Oooga Booga bongo darkie land". :ughh:
How is that any different from playing Romans teaching those filthy Gauls a lesson or exterminating those evil jews and slavs with your Germans? Seriously, your toy mans are not you. Distance yourself.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Commissar says I can play the IRA in a 1916 game when I visit yankland :colbert:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Devlan Mud posted:

Here's one I'm kinda fond of
This article really irritates me. The mud splashes are only right if the tank was driving in reverse.....

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think the only real reason they made different panzergrenadier models is so that you can have more variety in your units. After a while it gets a bit odd to see the same three poses of HMG in an army.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LintMan posted:

Other than the colour of the piping on the shoulders the panzergrenadiers should have a MG model on each base instead of one MG per two. They are classed as MG teams (rof 3) instead of being Rifle/MG teams (rof 2).

Most people wouldn't care that your piping is wrong or count the number of MGs on your bases. Just let your opponent know before than game that they are panzergrenadiers. The Halftracks should give it away.
He's using the Festungskompanie box, so he can field them as MG or Rifle/MG teams depending on which regiment of the various infantry divisions were in the area at D-day.

You're right though, most people will just trust you on what they are.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

S.J. posted:

Yeah... I'd equate one IG dude to one base of standard infantry, model-wise (I know the points don't come out to be the same, but still).
It's more like a marine to a base of infantry really, there's not that many bases in an army. My 1k points of Germans has about 20 IIRC.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Basically Soviets up the term used to refer to a unit by one step of the TO&E chart. Squads are Platoons, Platoons are Companies, Companies are Batallions. It's pretty interesting to see the insane hordes of troops that can fit onto a table when a Soviet army goes all-out conscript rush.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

S.J. posted:

Oh I understand that, I just meant like... the amount of effort needed to get the model/base ready for gaming.
I find that I tend to get a base fully painted and the static grass glued on in about ten minutes. I'm doing a simple one-colour, drybrush the pollyfilla/spackle basing job but it looks decent at this scale and all I'm aiming for is tabletop quality. There's a mostly finished command base hiding behind these ratlings to give you an idea of how lazy you can be with these and still have them looking awesome as an army.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lord Commissar posted:

I wish I could play in this:

It's at Adepticon this year. They're also giving out Patton, Willie, and Rommel figures:

Fuuuuuck... want. I saw that table, it looks like fun.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LintMan posted:

"Dammit Yuri! Why is whenever we ready move you tank is pointing wrong way? Is like you WANT to be execute."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Germans are an awesome army to play simply because of the sheer variety of armour and gun units they can field. While it's not *really* feasible to get one platoon+ of every possible tank type it's very possible to do like I have and have the guts of three different companies which can *mostly* be used in one army if I feel the need. It breaks down as:

5 X StuG III.
4 X Panzer IV.
3 X Panzer III.
3 X Grenadier Platoon.
1 X Infantry command.

Allows me to make a Grenadierkompanie with Panzer platoon (IV or III depending on time and front) and assault gun platoon OR a panzer platoon made of StuGs, a Panzerkompanie using Panzer IV as the main tank, a Panzerkompanie using StuG III as the main tank. Flexibility goes a long way towards a happy wallet.

I'm looking at some Nebelwerfers and a 105 platoon to round out the force with artillery, then I'm pretty much done apart from whatever silliness takes my fancy.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 7, 2010

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Devlan Mud posted:

Are they actually expanding that past the battle of la drang valley box set? I was under the impression it was a one-off thing.
It was acutally just a couple of platoon boxes and blisters with rules in Wargames Illustrated. I don't think they're going any further with it, despite advertising the models on the site all the time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

Does anybody know anything about GW's The Great War? All I've read is that it's basically 40k (Including stuff like strength:toughness wound charts???) and each model counts as three guys. This seems nutty and needlessly cumbersome.
I haven't played it but a few friends of mine have and they like it. There's a *really* nice mechanic for machine gun fire which uses a flamer template in a creative way.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A battery of 105's is my next planned purchase, and you probably won't go wrong with them either. Have you got a Machinegun platoon yet? A definite must-have I think. 140 points buys you four ROF 6 24" range teams to divide out into Kampfgruhave so you have a solid base of fire when launching assaults. There's also the bonus NCO team which you can give Panzerknacker mines to for 5 points and send up with your tank-assault unit.

Mortar platoon? I've never used them myself but they have AT3 for the 12cm variety and hit top armour which is rarely more than 1 for anything short of a Tiger. A 1/3 chance of doing some harm to a tank that can't see you is nothing to sneer at.

StuG III's are cheap and reliable assault guns, although they cost the same as Panzer IV's which are identical except for an extra co-ax MG and the pros and cons of a turret. Historically most Grenadier Divisions seem to have had a Battalion attached to them, so they're a good choice for support.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Never appologise for that tank. Never.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For WWI plane films watch The Blue Max. I'm slightly biased by my dad's stories of being onset (he was stationed at the military airfield it was filmed at) but it's got some genuine badass flying in it.

big_g posted:

You have absolutely no idea how often that thought crops up.
1/35 is *roughly* 28mil. It'd work well enough at platoon - company level on an 8X4 table.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
HMG platoons are incredibly satisfying to paint for FoW. I think it's because it's just five bases, and there's enough variety in pose to keep you interested while they're simple enough to batch-paint still.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
On thinking about it, every time I mix up a batch of Feldgrau for my Germans I end up getting five bases fully done and leaving the other two sort of half-finished. I have no idea why this keeps happening. I probably should start taking two squad platoons or something.....

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think my FoW army needs Wespes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
Pretty much this. Late war stuff tends to be "cheap" by comparison to early and mid war stuff (not that there is an early war yet....). For example, in 1944 a Tiger I E costs 215 points, while in 1942-1943 it costs 385 points for the same tank with the same skill level crew.