Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, it's a drat fine magazine really. Battlefront: playing GW better than GW do it.

I'm vaguely tempted to get it for the free Osprey but I dunno, Napoleonics ain't my thing and not being able to flick through it means I don't know if there's anything of interest in there. Ah well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tentacle Party posted:

Wow, those are really nice! The weathering on the matilda is great, really nice scale. Did you use an airbrush for either?

I recieved my Open Fire kit yesterday, and surprise surprise one of the schurzen are broken and entirely missing. Oh well, I guess they are only for learning.
Take a picture if you can, I'd be interested to see what it looks like and if it's recoverable. If not you can always email Battlefront and ask if you can send it back to be replaced.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Tentacle Party posted:

I dont think its recoverable now. I decided to make them into a LiebePanzer company instead.

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

I wonder how many historical forums I can troll with this?
Probably not many. Pink was a viable camoflage choice in parts of the desert. There's a few tanks in the Latrun museum in Israel that are nauseating yellow and pink.... horrible.

If that's the model you got, then they're all like that. I think it's supposed to represent battle damage.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I can't remember if the individual blisters have it, but if they're the same as the Platoon box then the StuG's come with a cast and welded gun mantled option, and the box has the howitzer option. If you can find a blister in your FLGS and there is two gun barrels in it then I highly reccomend you get it and talk to battlefront about a replacement body. At that point you'll have four StuG III, which is a full Assault Gun Platoon or 1 short of a full Panzer Platoon based around StuGs. Pretty good value for the price of it.

[EDIT]Unboxing the platoon box: http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/unboxing-stugiii-g-platoon-flames-war [/EDIT]

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I'm reading up on Ambush Alley and I find myself getting interested in it. How much is needed to run a few basic games of it? I've only ever played WH40k and Warmachine in the past, and have no experience with other miniatures. How much would some 15mm or 20mm figs for AA run? I tried checking the manufacturers in the OP but most of their websites are either confusing trainwrecks, don't have modern stuff, or both. :psyduck:
If you go with 20mil plastics like Revell or Italeri etc then you're looking at about 10 bux getting you 50 guys. I'm not sure if there are easy sources of milita types in plastic though, since I mainly focus on WWII stuff myself.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

The Welsh should have a knock-off Hagia Sophia. Built out of peat.
Surrounded by 15mil sheep.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's just infantry but with armour. Not *too* hard to weld together really.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If it's not the right colour then glue it on before undercoating and paint it like any other part of the model TBH.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Serotonin posted:

Bolt Action and Warlord Games are doing 28mm plastic WW2 infantry!

http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=6427

Oh my!
:monocle: Oh my indeed! Definitely interested in these. Nice comprehensive weapons options sprue too, everything I can think of on there. It'll be interesting to see if they make a plastic tripod-version of the MG42 too. Probably hoping for too much though.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trouble Man posted:

It's much more likely that we'll just get boring generic lists for France and Poland (and probably nothing for Norway or Italy, etc.) and detailed lists for the 323. SS-Panzergrenadierkompanie after they were reequipped during the last week of the war in Poland but before being redeployed to the Netherlands.
Have you ever looked at FoW? Dig through the army lists here for a while and see what you come up with.

For those not interested in rooting through the entire thing, probably the most interesting unit in there is the 1st Brazillian Expeditionary Division. Yeah.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

big_g posted:

All the allies used the star as a universal air recognition symbol from D-Day onwards. They would all have one slapped on an vertical facing area somewhere. On the Cromwell it was generally on the rear engine deck or the top of the turret.

This being the 7th Armoured Division (Desert Rats) in Normandy I decided it looked better on the back, as opposed to the turret.
Actually it was from the Operation Torch onwards, prior to that the Commonwealth forces were using the Red-White-Blue-Yellow rondel in Africa :eng101: :fh:

I hope the IWM in London has a similar stockpile of cheap Airfix, I need me quite a few kits to finish my Irish Guards and it'd be nice to grab them all at once.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It doesn't really matter as long as they look good at the end of the day. Even if it takes a bit of fiddling to make them look pretty I can handle that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

I need a hobby room. new girlfriend :smith:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

R.S. Gumby posted:

My Welsh are done!

It's an army for DBA; III19b Welsh. Not exactly spectacular. The army has no options, so just 12 stands, and it's pretty drat heavy on the bows, but that's partly why I got them, as the bows will be useful in a couple of other armies.

DBA purists might notice they're 4Bw, whereas the army list has them as 3Bw, but I like the look of 4 models per base better. In DBA there's no difference ruleswise. Plus, if/when I ever expand my medievals for Field of Glory, I'm pretty sure 4Bw will be more useful.
Every time I see this kind of thing it makes me want to make a DBA army in 10mil or similar. I'd love to be able to do full armies in the time it'd take me to do a platoon of FoW or a single 40k unit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

R.S. Gumby posted:

Well, what are you waiting for?

10mm is a bit odd scalewise though; 15mm seems to be most common, with 6mm and 28mm not too rare. Then there's the ones using plastic 1/72 sets...
I deliberately have no ability to purchase via the internet, I have a few of the old Battle of Five Armies Elf cavalry blocks floating around and they're 10-mil-ish so I should use them someday, I've got about 300 20mil Motorised British Infantry with a tank company and some artillery batterys to paint, about the same again in Germans, a FoW German army, a few company's worth of mechs and all that GW poo poo taking up space still.

Bit silly to add more to the pile right now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Wait... what? You get Ranger COMPANIES?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

S.J. posted:

Yeah, you buy ranger companies because they're a more elite unit. It's the same with british Commandos. Each company is 1 or 2 platoons. Each platoon is 6 rifle/mg teams + platoon HQ with the option to buy a mortar. Though each platoon operates independently, ranger comapnies are deployed all at the same time.

Cool thing about rangers though, is that only the actual Ranger Platoons count for whether or not I have to take a company command test. The support platoons I buy don't count as being destroyed or being on the table for a company morale check. So while you have to still deal with all of my support I'll never even have to think about running away until you also kill 4 platoons of dudes.
That's still an obscene amount of dude on the table. IIRC a Commando army would be drat expensive with each platoon being 330 points basic, so I'm guessing Rangers are similar.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This is a noble aim, I approve of it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I am getting paid for the first time in many a long year (gently caress YOU COLLEGE, DONE WITH THAT poo poo!) so I am considering buying myself some Britannia UK 16th Air Assault Brigade for Ambush Alley. Does anyone who plays this know what I'd need to get started?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

Actually, you'll find that kind of armour all over the place with groups that were not that hot at making things out of metal.
I snerked hard at this thanks to what happened in work yesterday.

Playing Soul Calibur IV on lunch break (there are X-boxes in the office) my opponant tried to convince me that it wasn't unfair that Yoda had a lightsaber and everyone else only had katanas because <WEEABOO KATANA RANT>.

It was difficult to beat him because my eyes kept closing with the pain caused by his aura of stupidity.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KongGeorgeVII posted:

My copy of Open Fire! for flames of war arrived today from Maelstrom Games, however my two stugs both have the same miscast on them.

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Anyone dealt with the Flames of War customer service before? Are they going to ship me new bits all the way out here in Australia?

e: Wait, their customer service email address is in New Zealand, that gives me hope!
I've never seen a pair that weren't broken that way. If you call them about it you'll likely get a pair of tank bodies, and then if you get the StuG box you'll have enough spare guns to sort the lot out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Infantry are pretty great in defence in FoW, and assaults are a great way of clearing an objective if the defenders are pinned.

Anyway... I finally got to play Ambush Alley last weekend. A kind blogger I follow happened to be running a series of linked games at a three-day con and I got in on the second one. First report is here and the rest are going up daily.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Game two - This time with myself in control of the British. This pretty much confirmed to me that Ambush Alley is awesome and you should play it and if you play it and don't like it you are wrong and should feel bad. There is also, somewhere, a video report of the battle in progress, similar to how BoLS do theirs. I'll post it as soon as I find it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, as of 00:01 last night my bank balance is 2.3k so... toy soldiers time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Bear in mind that flamethrowers are one-shot weapons and you remove the team after they get hit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KongGeorgeVII posted:

:words:
Tank companies will poo poo all over infantry. These lists look well relatively balanced.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Generally they have to both shift you AND then occupy it unopposed for a full turn. That's harder than it sounds. Infantry with gammon bombs in counter-attack on tanks pinned by bazooka or AT gun fire will make tanks have a very bad day indeed.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Does anyone know of a good source for uniform and vehicle markings for the Estonian SS divisions? I'd like to get the Osprey book on the SS but I'm not sure how well that covers the Estonians as I assume like other Osprey books it focuses mainly on more popular or famous units and I really have no use for a bunch of pictures of Wiking and Totenkopf guys. My friend said that Crowood produces a book on SS schemes but as far as I can tell its just for camo. I know Osprey has the Eastern Front Allies book but I was afraid that it wouldn't have the Estonian SS because they were an SS division.
It was all the same uniform as other SS units, but their specific unit markings can be found here. Srsly....

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

I found out that there's a fan WWI suppliment for FoW. And then there's people in my area involved, and I'm pretty excited about this because I dig FoW but eh, Nazis.

So here's a question for you FoW guys!

How does the basing scheme work? I can tell that command sections go on the small ones and squads go on the medium ones. But what are the huge bases for? And what size bases do weapons teams (ie: Lewis guns) go on?

This is probably all basic stuff covered in the FoW rules, but my models got here before the book. :ohdear:
You're gonna need to take a look at the rules and army lists to work it out exactly, but generally you're right about the small and medium, except "man-packed" guns also go on the medium bases, and the large bases are for things like field guns or staff teams.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That is a pretty spectacular difference alright.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Devlan Mud posted:

Your grandfather is a badass, nobody ever mentions the polish resistance, and they did tons to gently caress with the nazis.
You need to watch Defiance. It's an *awesome* movie about just this. it's got James Bond and Sabertooth!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think it's safe to say that's a good start. Gonna look awesome when you put the whole army on the table.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I kind of do want to now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sadly the StuG Ausf G with Schurzen weren't available in the early-war period. It was late 1942 by the time they turned up.

The differences are enough that any grognards (like me) will spot it instantly.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The schurzen and taller superstructure will give it away, they really are very different vehicles: Ausf A and Ausf G.

If it doesn't bother you then go for it, but be prepared to have the smackdown prepared for that one guy.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's fair, it's not all that much fun to spend a bucketload on an army you'll only use a few times. TBH though, StuGs are a bit too late-war for that, I don't think they existed until a year after the Polish campaign. They're also god-machines in early war, with impressive armour and firepower.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's all made clear in the individual army lists, there's no hard and fast rule for what fits into what section. Tanks are normally support in an Infantry Company, Combat in a Tank Company etc. Look through any one of these and it should become clear.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 12, 2011

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Oldest Man posted:

Well yeah I know it's shown in the charts what type of platoon are in what category, I'm just trying to figure out what that actually means in terms of being able to take them in a list. For example, the Polish mech cav list has its standard infantry platoons both as Combat platoons and Weapons platoons (in different quantities)- same for tankette squads, anti-tank gun platoons, etc.

Is there any rules effect for Combat vs Weapons vs Support platoons? Am I restricted in the ratio of platoon types I can take somewhere that I'm not seeing?
You're not looking in the right place. Download this. Go to the second page. Look at the chart. The unit can take the platoon types and numbers listed there, at a ratio of one listed option per slot on the chart. Theoretically you could just make a giant list of units, and if any chart tells you that you can take that unit in a slot then you can take that unit to fill that slot.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
I think that's just a balance thing to prevent you being a dick and mixing tank and PanzerGrenadier units to mess with people. In practice a Kampfgruppe was literally just "you guys, stop fleeing and follow me".

The Oldest Man posted:

Yes I understand that, what I'm asking is what is the actual difference between, say, a Piechoty Company taken as a Weapons platoon vs one taken as a Combat platoon vs one taken as a Support platoon? Is there one?
In practice a Combat or Weapons platoon will represent an organic platoon of a company. A Support platoon will represent either a floating Divisional unit (such as an AT platoon or artillery battery) or a Combat or Weapons platoon from another company of the same type. If you have the choice to take the same thing as a Combat or Weapons platoon then the only difference will be the slot it occupies, if you take it as a Support platoon it may have different equipment options, different special rules and different skill and motivation ratings, with obviously different poitns costs. If you can do it that way it will be listed on the chart and will have Divisional or Regimental insignia beside the unit's name on the relevant slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Karandras posted:

Are Late War games interesting or is it just German players smugly placing a trio of Tiger IIs?
Tiger IIs are incredibly not worth the points. IIRC you end up getting about six T-34 per tank, and they *will* do bad things to it.

The game is more about objectives and maneuvering so funnily enough a big slow tank that breaks down a lot isn't all that great.