Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

If it wouldn't be so depressing, it would make one hell of a social experiment / convention game. The players' high speed operators need to cross a market square without murdering anyone.

There's no terrorists. There's no nuke. The players just need to push miniatures from A to B without doing a war crime.

Or a scenario where the briefing packet doesn't match anything on the table. They need to recognize that there's been a fuckup and nobody here is a target.
You could run that with Force on Force if you wanted to. The mechanics for mobs are interesting in that they're more likely to get riled up and start throwing stuff if the regular forces are being jackasses. Like, say, trying to tell the mob it should get out of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sydney Bottocks posted:

A wargame based around my own personal military experiences in the early 1990s would need to be able to successfully represent events like "bored while working long 3rd shifts where time seems to stretch out forever" and "getting drunk in English pubs, a lot"
I played a game with a friend years back which was English cops vs closing time at the local pub. It was possible for both sides to call in "reinforcements" and escalate from one drunk twat to firebombs and the riot squad. Sadly I cannot remember the name of it.

So like... would that do ya?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rascar Capac posted:

Was it No Go Zone by the now-defunct Warm Acre Games? I always thought they'd hit on an interesting idea.
That is it exactly. Goon hivemind FTW! It was pretty fun to play too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
From that angle they look like just round tubes, do they look like there's a stock on one end from any angle? If so might be the carbines that some units carried.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Print 'em all and make 'em fight.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
From reading the magazines, I get the impression that Henry Hyde is very much of the wargamer mould where just spending your weekends in a rented church hall with a bunch of other middle-aged nerds is kind of how he expects life to be.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

Is - is that a bad thing? Because I'd be up for that.
It is when you assume everyone is the same, and you become the wargamer equivalent of Lucille Bluth asking how much a banana costs.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mllaneza posted:

Active wargaming clubs are a lot more prevalent in the UK than in the US. It's a small subculture, but they've been at it since the 70s.
I have a once a month game as part of a campaign in the middle of London at a club and yet somehow every month at least one game fails to happen because the relevant players can't find time.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Slyphic posted:

resolve a morale check for each unit with roll and table and careful repositioning of the unit in 1 of ~6 states, AND THEN you roll morale and disposition for the entire company and if you fail, all that careful positioning and unit state doesn't matter as the entire force falls back in a route.
Does it fall back from the position it occupied at the start of the fight or the position you've wiggled it to afterwards? If it's just "remove the stand" then yeah, change the order of operations there for sure.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Fuuuuuck measuring in yards. Give me arbitrary units of blorpos, something I can just declare to be the length of coffee stirrer or whatever.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I played it when it was Kampfgruppe and GW published it, and it was "fine". There were some glaring holes in the rules that got fixed with Battlegroup. That said, your experience seems to be talking about an entirely different game to mine. I think your group totally misunderstood how shooting works, or I am just not remembering it at all right. Also you played a rather huge game. Two vehicles a side supporting a platoon was more than enough when I played it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

INinja132 posted:

The Infantry shooting rules appeared to be a bit different and I'm pretty sure we must have been playing wrong because there was no reason to ever use the suppression fire as normal shooting was so powerful. Without a copy of the rules though I can't check obviously.
From what I remember I mostly used infantry fire, and there was no reason not to use suppression fire since the odfs of that doing damage were almost as high as the odds of regular fire, and it generated token pulls faster.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

EdsTeioh posted:

I ended up giving him money; there was all that FoW stuff, a bunch of Necromunda with terrain and Forge World stuff, then a Proxxon foam cutter.
I'd have told him to hang onto it and if asked again just reply with "well your son/daughter is poo poo in bed". Barring edge case weirdness it's really none of his mother in law's business what he does for fun.

lilljonas posted:

One solution, if you can't get over such unrealistic situations, is to consider a unit to represent more men. So, a formation of three units represents a whole company. Two groups of cavalry would be a squadron. Then a lot of the tactical situations you get in Sharp Practice makes more sense than if you look at it as a 1 model = 1 man presentation.
People not including the assumed "figure scale" is one of the things which modern wargames do suffer from the omission of, in the same way that time and ground scales don't hamper poo poo at all.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's kind of wholesome. Good for them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

INinja132 posted:

The perpetual perfect information struggle! I think it's particularly difficult to solve in miniatures because where in a board wargame you can use hidden counters etc., the whole point of a miniatures game is to have minis on the table and that's what people want. It's not that much fun spending dozens+ of hours painting your stuff only to play with markers all the time! It would be interesting to see a game with "dummy" miniatures, where some of your force is fake but you can still move it around to represent soldiers getting confused/hearing things/seeing civilians/their own troops etc.
It's been a long time since I played it but Infinity used to do that with models that could cloak. I believe you can now get silhouette "figures" that just tell you the size of the unknown object making noise as it shuffles around.

Panzeh posted:

The challenge is, reaction fire to movement is incredibly difficult to administer and adds a lot of game time, well, reaction fire in general does this but especially when every move in the view of an enemy unit requires a check or something to see if the other guy wants to do it.
Force on Force does this and it results in giant chains of reaction rolls as the unit that moves provokes a bunch of reactions triggering off the other reactions. That's bad play, but it's also how people tend to get sucked into the mechanics and "feel" of a chaotic firefight early on.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

I've kind of got a hankering for big battle rank-and-flank stuff, ideally early medieval ("dark age") - what's my options there? It seems a bunch of people play Hail Caesar for it or just use the KOW Historicals stuff but I'm assuming there's some hidden gems this thread knows about and I don't. We've got a bunch of 6mm and 28mm viking/saxon stuff for use.
Give this a whirl and see how it works. Dirt cheap and uses DBA basing so you can switch systems if it doesn't work for you: https://www.ospreypublishing.com/uk/dux-bellorum-9781849086806/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Springfield Fatts posted:

Just played my first game of C&C Tricorne that I got as a gift and now I'm like "hmmmm how many stands would it take to convert this to minis....."
The answer is "more".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's the kind of thing you can really only model accurately by doing a Battlestar Galactica on and handing a bunch of people a "traitor card" for them to reveal when they feel like it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
For you EU goons Victrix are having a warehouse moving sale.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's one of those things where you're just supposed to know that the front is the direction of expected advance, and the rear is wherever you came from.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Mythic Commander by Modiphius is a fantasy game, but it's basically a grid based wargame that comes with the rulebook and maps packaged with four armies worth of tokens to use. I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but I can't imagine it'd be difficult to build armies that ignore the fantastic elements and just use it as "generic midievals".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have been tempted by PBI a few times. Maybe I should just give in and buy some.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LatwPIAT posted:

Interesting. I did find a forum supplement specifically covering the Hussite Wars! However, now I need to learn the system so I understand what any of these numbers and words actually mean. I'm sure I'll be fine, it's not like the core book has been out of print for twelve years or anything... :v:
Warhammer Fantasy Battle 4th or 5th edition rulebooks will get you close enough to work out most of it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

Historicals stuff that's painted well will all look the same, hams painted well look like the guy you're buying it from's stuff. It's the "this is the American second infantry going into the winter of 44" vs "these are my dudes" thing.
Never thought of it like that, but it explains why I was happy to get a SAGA army from a friend ages back but I would strip all of his weirder stuff like doing a Free Wales Army themed army for Flames of War using late-war British Commandos.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

alg posted:

At least with Historicals I never see an unpainted game. Probably 80% of the scifi or fantasy games at FLGS are unpainted.
I regularly played Flames of War with or against unpainted armies, but I think that was so close to the GW model that people didn't care at all :shrug:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Virtual Russian posted:

I always go back to Werner Klemperer, the Jewish actor who played Colonel Klink. He insisted he on playing the character as a moron that can never do anything right. I will always prefer that depiction of Nazis, it is also the far more accurate. That doesn't translate well to wargaming though, so I can't offer a solution.
Be like me and be terrible at winning games :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've been tempted by the Bauda Norse Irish for years, but I never get around to actually pulling the trigger on them. Plus I have no idea if anyone at HATE plays DBA anyways :shrug:

May see you at Salute. I will be the one who looks like a goon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm not in Hackney, it's just where nerds play games regularly with a convenient train to get there from my house. Excel is a slightly longer, but still convenient, train trip. The main problem will be getting off my rear end early enough to try meet people flying over for it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

tomdidiot posted:

They're sunk into a recess and I can't get under the magnet to snap hem off.
Try using your new stronger magnets to pull them free.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Really? I saw loads of it in Australia a couple of weeks back.

Of course I also found expansions for West End Games' Star Wars game that went out of print in 1998 so maybe things are skewed there...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JonBolds posted:

You can very easily find Wings of Glory, the modern miniatures-sales-driven version by Ares games. The older simpler card-based version, Wings of War, was published in English by Fantasy Flight from 2004-2011 and is now out of print.
Ah, I have the WWII starter by FFG somewhere in storage and that came with miniatures so I assumed the Ares version was still using the cards for movement. They did have both on the shelves together anyway though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Count Thrashula posted:

Oh hell yeah, that's exciting, however:

This annoys me more than it rightfully should (I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason for it)
It's because it should be pronounced "quīnque" :agesilaus: