Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCircus
Feb 25, 2009
Sup this is my first post so YOU CAN START BEING MY FRIENDS STARTING NOW. I'm not so down with Protest The Hero being declared as the best songwriters of all time but each to their own. I think they have too little restraint, plus their vocalist is all over the place. Meshuggah are a great example of a super talented band that can also keep things simple and simultaneously radical, they know when to keep jamming a riff and when to change it up, Protest seem to crowbar alot of stuff into their song structure which is unnecessary.

Has anybody here heard of Meet Me In St Louis they are a UK Post Hardcore band with some pretty wild technicality whilst maintaining some beautiful melody. Check them out here:Youtube Myspace
Their album 'Variations On Swing' is probably my favourite record of all time. Everytime I listen to it I am literally dumbfounded with how beautiful some of the songs are. I can't think of many bands to help describe their sound but it's sort of like Dillinger Escape Plan playing indie.

Also...Sikth anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCircus
Feb 25, 2009

Sophian posted:

No, no, no. If you want to see people analyze music to death, go read a musicology journal. They got poo poo in there like "Goliardic Chant and it's affect on 12th century Trouvere songs." If they were to post in this thread, you'd see stuff like "We should explore the notion of poly-rhythm juxstaposed over 4/4 and its relevancy to the 'math' label. Perhaps a compare/contrast of 'New Millenium Cyanide Christ' and certain arrangements of 'Sacre du Printemps' are in order? :smug:"

The craziest part is I would read the poo poo out of that

Can I interest you in a thesis on Meshuggah's usage of rhythm and meter on the I EP and Catch 33? It's pretty dense but nonetheless a relatively interesting read if you have any interest in theory and stuff.

• Locked thread