Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

Why don't you go get a glass of orange juice and spill it all over yourself like a big dumb baby

d0grent posted:

Anyone listen to that collaboration between Mars Volta and Hella?

I have mixed feelings about it. I mean... it sure does sound like Omar and Zach Hill in a studio together.

Yeah, it took me a while to warm up to it, but it was pretty good. The drums were a little low in the mix and I thought the synth bass was too muddy sounding, but it's an interesting album. I would definitely listen to a new El Grupo Nuevo album (they supposedly recorded 3 albums, but only released the one so far).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

Why don't you go get a glass of orange juice and spill it all over yourself like a big dumb baby

Oh No Pigeons! posted:

Yo whudup.

30 seconds samples of Patagonian Rats up on Amazon

Lots of singing.

Hm, don't really know what to think. I was starting to dig The Skin Surf/Frozen Zoo because they're catchy and I thought they were somewhat ironic songs and the rest of the album wouldn't sound like them. If they're going to have lots of singing I'd prefer more subtlety like in Melody 7 and Last Smile for Jaron. I probably wouldn't have gotten into them if I had heard this stuff first instead of stuff like 40 Rods to the Hogshead. Needs less vocal-centric material and more genre-defying genius and some spastic mathy goodness. But it definitely doesn't sound terrible, I still can't wait to get it and give it a proper listen.

WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

the great deceiver posted:

Oh yeah if you haven't seen Tera Melos live...see them live. They're (usually) a grade-A live act and they're right about to go on a huge loving tour. Can't wait to see em in Sac.

I saw them in Sac last night as well and I concur with this recommendation. If you have the chance to see them during this tour, go for it.

The venue was small but it was a pretty good show, I had fun. They played with So Stressed, Carson McWirter and Religious Girls. It was a pretty diverse show. So Stressed reminded me of Health, Carson's acoustic set was so incredible and Religious Girls was much better than I thought they would be (I wasn't expecting such a crazy awesome tribal sound). Tera Melos played I think almost all of Patagonian Rats, plus a couple other songs like When Worms Learn to Fly. I was a little bummed they didn't play more old stuff, since they have the extra dude now, but I suppose since it was kind of the album release show so they had to expose people to the newest stuff. They definitely brought the Tera Melos energy though. I was right in the front, as to ensure complete eardrum obliteration and it was good stuff.

WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

A friend of mine recently released his band's first official album for free, and if I'm not mistaken, I think it belongs here. They're really young, but I think they're very talented and creative and they put a lot of work into their music so I want to support their efforts. Give it a listen/download and see if you like it, it's some really fun stuff and I know they'll appreciate it.

http://www.formeranimals.bandcamp.com

WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

Pogobubba posted:

I was listening to some LITE, an excellent recommendation I presume I got from this thread, and found a related band called Mouse On The Keys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFoetd0sD6Y

These guys aren't actually all that similar to LITE, aside from having an insane drummer. They are another Japanese band that reminds me a lot of Té and Toe and other bands which kind of straddle the border between post-rock and math-rock, if their style was combined with fusion. The band consists of an insane drummer and two keyboardists who play fast, arpeggiated piano lines to create a very math-rock like style with guest musicians improvising trumpet or sax parts over. Very cool stuff.

Between these guys and Lye By Mistake, a band posted in this thread who combine mathcore and fusion, I was eager to find more music that fit this general style. Jizue are another similar Japanese band who achieve a very similar style to Mouse On The Keys and even a bit more like LITE at times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfwr94u8RQk

LITE, toe, and te are really good bands, and Mouse on the Keys is always absolutely amazing, definitely one of my all-time favorite instrumental groups. I've never heard of this Jizue band before though, thanks for sharing! They almost sound like if one of the pianists in Mouse on the Keys decided to change instruments and start playing guitar. Really beautiful stuff, I like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

Harminoff posted:

Kind of like Toe but Keyboard lead with Bass and Drums. Pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgdUaABOUS4

This is really good stuff. Immediately reminds me of Mouse on the Keys. The Japanese sure know how to play some awesome instrumental piano jazz/math rock.

• Locked thread