Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

fastpork posted:

And while taking about Slint, the 90's Louisville scene was unstoppable. Especially June Of 44 and Shipping News, both formed by Jeff Mueller. June tends to be more pissed off and Shipping News tends to be calmer, but if you adore Spiderland you will love both.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsToqOEZnxQ

Props for being one of the few in the thread to mention some real math rock, but I would think that you would have included 90 Day Men.

Although they were from St. Louis (not Louisville), they grew up in basically the same way as Slint and June of 44 as basically playing post-hardcore but with that mathy feel that eventually evolved into the Louisville math rock sound.

Aside from Slint's Spiderland, 90 Day Men's To Everybody is probably the most important (and best) album from that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

Primetime posted:

I've listened to most of what has been suggested in this thread, but it seems like a majority of the focus has switched to mathcore, and frankly I'm not a fan of metal or hard rock. Are there any other math rock bands at a Minus the Bear or Maps and Atlases level that I may have missed?

ManifoldCuriosity posted:

90 Day Men

Although they were from St. Louis (not Louisville), they grew up in basically the same way as Slint and June of 44 as basically playing post-hardcore but with that mathy feel that eventually evolved into the Louisville math rock sound.

Aside from Slint's Spiderland, 90 Day Men's To Everybody is probably the most important (and best) album from that scene.

The album I suggested from them is low key, as well as Panda Park. Once you get into their early stuff though, it's more rooted in post-hardcore, so you might want to be careful.

Oh, and I'll just add my two cents about how much I hate the "mathcore" label. It just ends up encompassing "progressive" metal and metalcore bands. I feel that math rock actually has a distinctive sound at times.

• Locked thread