Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smell the witch
Jun 10, 2011
Glad to see These Arms Are Snakes are getting some love, but more love is needed for Daughters (cool song here) and Down I Go (cool song here).

Daughters are probably my favourite band right now but since they're fairly popular I'll focus more on Down I Go, who broke up before they get any/much recognition. So give them a try and mourn along with me. The riffing reminds me of Coalesce and the vocalist definitely likes Mike Patton, but overall they're too playful to be heavy.

I really don't see much of a point in worrying too much about labeling the bands to a 'math' genre, considering that Protest The Hero, Don Caballero, ATDI and Meshuggah all count as 'math' bands but they all come from different genres. The "math x" (math rock, mathcore) label I just find useful in telling me these bands all share characteristics that I love (odd time signatures, elements of experimentation, noise), not that they all sound the same. Any band with odd-time signatures and complex structures can be labeled as math, doesn't make them a 'math' band, and saying so denotes they're not interested in anything but technicality. I mean, one of the reasons I like these bands so much is because they're usually so restrained from genres and do their own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smell the witch
Jun 10, 2011
Everyone check out Morkobot! Dark, sludgy, groovy and overall pretty experimental Italian math-something. Myspace or LastFM, whichever you prefer.

If you're not into songs that go past the ten minute mark (like their older stuff) then check out their new album, Morbo, which is more like this

smell the witch
Jun 10, 2011
A very cool band from my native Santiago de Chile is Ronaldo, a mellow math rocky thing with trumpets. Their album is up for free on their bandcamp.
And since someone mentioned Jizue and Toe I figured I should also mention Sgt., a Japanese band that blends mathrock/postrock/jazz/whatever + a violin and occasional hip-hop. Here's a good song to start on.
Also Fridge, Four Tet's old band, might belong here, bit more on the post-rock side but with the occasional forays into odd time signatures and chromatic guitar lines.
Same thing with El Ten Eleven, a two piece that works around looping riffs and layering, like this.
Oh, and Dysrhythmia is also amazing, featuring a guitar hero of mine, Keith Hufnagel, who's currently playing with Gorguts. This is a great song of theirs, unfortunately I couldn't find a better, non-live version of it.
Don't know if anyone's interested in the more screamy stuff but since someone mentioned Rolo Tomassi I'll at least recommend Down I Go, a British band that combined the guitar groove of Coalesce with the Pattonesque-ish vocals and fantastic hooks.

Apologies if any of these have been posted already.

smell the witch
Jun 10, 2011

Vaah posted:

I've never heard of these guys before, and I'm really digging them so far. Now Im faced with the dilemma of wether to listen to their stuff in reverse chronological order or go back to the first album after Installation.

Thanks for the link!

Go reverse chronological, For All Innocence is much better than Phantasia.

• Locked thread