Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phe
Aug 22, 2012
Personally, I am in two minds with respect to Mathcore. Protest the Hero sits comfortably in my Top 10 bands, however little else within the genre is that appealing. It suffers from the same troubles that plague Prog Rock or Prog Metal in that they are taking a conventional element of music, in this case consistent time signature, pitch etc, and mixing it up. This can work effectively, and create a great dynamic and sound, however, like the music itself, success here is rather sporadic.

But as I said, Protest the Hero are amazing, and although their newest album was mostly a disappointment, I hope you will all join me in listening to C'est La Vie, the saving grace of Scurrilous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKZ-eKBJ9dw

It is never my fault. Ever. Yes officer, I did indeed burn down that orphanage, but it still isn't my fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phe
Aug 22, 2012

the Bunt posted:

You didn't really explain what about mathcore turns you off. Also, I would call Protest the Hero a prog metal band before I'd call them mathcore.

Allow me to explain further. First lets assume that Protest the Hero is mathcore. The OP seems to think so, and I am inclined to agree. Genre seems to be an ever-shifting construct, but regardless Protest the Hero has those elements that define mathcore. So for the purpose of the conversation, they will be defined as such.

Mathcore is a messy genre. Music often has a set formula: this beat, at this tempo, with this pitch and this volume. Consistent, uniform, palatable. But many artists try to break away from this formula. Prog and mathcore are good examples of deviation from the expected. The danger here is changing too much or too drastically. A song can easily degrade into a messy chaos of noise and discomfort. You have shifting signatures, tempo changes and clashing vocal pitch all melded together in a violent assault of sound. It takes true skill to change the fundamentals of music to such a great degree, and still please the listener. Whenever I listen to a new genre of music, I inevitably filter through a giant heap of trash until I find those few diamonds that match all my preferences. No genre is exempt from this, not even metal, that musical force which drives much of my existence. But it seems that the trash pile is so much larger when I come to mathcore, and the diamonds much harder to find.

As always, personal preference drives what we enjoy listening to. And whilst mathcore will never be my favourite genre, it does have some saving graces.

• Locked thread