Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

global tetrahedron posted:

Does anyone know what's up with the new Hella album? They made an announcement about a new 2-piece album, which made me lose my poo poo, because I hated the full band album, but I haven't heard anything since. I really could use a new Hella album, and maybe a tour...

Really loving excited for this. I actually got to talk to Spencer at a bar in Nevada City (NAMEDROP NAMEDROP) and I asked him what was up with the album. Supposedly it will definitely be out in 2010 and it is just the two of them. I personally loved There's No 666 but I know a lot of people didn't dig the full band and to be honest there's really no reason to do it again. Can't wait to hear the album and I am extremely excited to see just Spencer and Zach tour as Hella; haven't seen just the two of them play since like 03 or 04.

Also seconding Tera Melos, they are such a talented group of musicians that it blows my mind. I'm really liking their new drummer as well; he's got serious chops. Bygones are pretty cool too, I just wish they'd play a show some time.

Another group to check out is Ahleuchatistas, another great "mathrock" group (the phrase mathrock is so horrible). I like the album What You Will a lot but I think they have a new album that just came out.

Ho Chi Minh is Gonna Win!- Ahleuchatistas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSeMcVRR6FY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

d0grent posted:

Yeah I had to cringe just a bit every time I typed it out in the op and capitalized it, but there's no other way :(

No I totally understand you kinda have to use it out of necessity. I'm not sure why I dislike the label so much; probably because "mathrock" sounds so dry and formulaic when a lot of these bands are actually extremely creative and innovative artists. I generally label them as prog when I have to label them but that doesn't really do the style of music justice either. I can't think of anything better to use than mathrock although I did hear one person try to get the name "wizardcore" to stick. Still pretty retarded but I like it better than mathrock.

Rujo King posted:

Math rock exists solely to give hipsters like myself a reason to say "One two three, One two three four, One two three four five six, One two three four five," while artfully stabbing the air in front of us and possibly clapping out the beat on our thighs.

Hahahaha yeah this pretty much sums it up. :D

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

I personally think Patagonian Rats is loving awesome but then again I love everything Tera Melos has ever released. I actually really enjoy Nick's vocals and I don't think they've lost their mathy-edge. You could hear the evolution of Nick's vocals in Complex and Idioms and I think it suits the group really well. Of course I loving loved the earlier albums and despite it being a little soon to say I really, really like Rats just as much as their older stuff. One of the main reasons why I like Tera Melos is because they are always willing to change and adapt their sound. Honestly poo poo would be way boring if they released nothing but Drugs to the Dear Youth-style albums. I think it's loving rad that they keep updating their sound and Rats is a good example of that.

Oh yeah if you haven't seen Tera Melos live...see them live. They're (usually) a grade-A live act and they're right about to go on a huge loving tour. Can't wait to see em in Sac.

• Locked thread