Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
So I clicked your very first sample and it was a song entirely in 4/4 except maybe it got a little loose for a bit, like not any other specific time signature, just they were not really keeping a rhythm for a few moments. I didn't listen to the last minute or so, but just thought it was an odd example for a genre that apparently is defined by uncommon time signatures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I'm neither a music theory expert nor have I listened to more than a few math rock songs, but how many fans of the genre really know what a time signature is? Like how many just hear a lot of starting and stopping in the guitars of what is basically a 4/4 song and assume that something really complicated is going on time signature wise?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Stink Dinner posted:

Just because it's in 4/4 doesn't make it "not math rock," it might just be syncopation. On the other hand, Drive Like Jehu had a lot of songs in different time signatures but they're not usually considered math rock.

I have no real idea what math rock is other than that every time I read about it, including in this thread, unusual and multiple time signatures are brought up a lot. So I thought it was weird that the first example in this thread, and a lot of the other examples I've been linked to, don't really do much with time signatures at all.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

d0grent posted:

I just double checked to make sure I wasn't retarded, and the first song definitely uses 4/4, 5/4, and 3/4 so maybe you didn't even listen halfway through the song?

Where?

• Locked thread