Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Where does Minus The Bear fit into all of this? New Math Rock?

I've always heard of them being described as math rock, and it made sense to me because they're one of the only bands I listen to (outside of Hella and some Don Cab, and maybe one or two others) that uses crazy signatures like that, and basically everything you described Math Rock sounding like in the OP. They aren't nearly as crazy as Hella and Giraffes? Giraffes!, at least in the same way those bands are in the example songs you posted, but MTB knows how to freak out, and when they do so, it comes off sounding incredible.

They definitely use 4/4 in some songs, but they just have a pretty unique style of playing. I know they borrowed heavily from the band Pele, but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L11xuXCcNGk

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

d0grent posted:

I forgot this came out, haven't even listened to it yet. Is it watered down?

Very. I only listened to it once right when it came out because there was nothing to keep me coming back for more.

You could tell they were trying to ditch the math-rock and move towards a more straight-rock sound with the last album, except just about every song on the last album was good and very memorable for me. I still listen to it frequently.

Omni was just mediocre overall, I thought. None of the songs stuck with me (except for My Time), and it wasn't really the type of the album that I wanted to listen to multiple times in hopes that it might get better after a few listens through it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, I got an e-mail about that this morning and got really excited :)

I've seen them twice, once at the House of Blues here in New Orleans in 2008, and then once last year at Voodoo Fest. They were still enjoyable to watch at Voodoo Fest, but they weren't half as awesome as they were at the HoB. They're coming back to the House of Blues for this tour, and playing potentially more older stuff than when they played in '08 there, so that's gonna rule.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Don't mean to possibly derail the thread, but since Minus the Bear came up, am I the only one was was less then impressed with Omni?

I wasn't impressed with it much at all when it first came out, but after seeing them play some of the songs from it live and listening to the album more and more, I like it now. For some reason, it just didn't hit me right away as being awesome like every other album of theirs has.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely their worst release. But it's got some tracks that are super enjoyable to listen to, like My Time, Summer Angel, Secret Country, Hold Me Down, Into The Mirror and Animal Backwards.

There are a few tracks on that album that I wouldn't be too broken up about if I never heard again, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh man, that trailer song sounds so loving great. It sounds like a cross between the older Menos El Oso/Planet Of Ice era stuff and the newer Omni type material, which is gonna be loving incredible if true.

I didn't really care for Omni at all at first, but that album has seriously grown on me. I dig most of the tracks on it now. And if the whole new album is like that one song in the trailer, it's gonna blow Omni away.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

-Atom- posted:

Also, seeing them perform Highly Refined Pirates in its entirety was just about the greatest thing.

Seconding this. That was as close to a dream show as I've ever seen thus far in my life.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The time I saw them play Highly Refined Pirates live (I've seen them live 4x and I think this was #3), there was this dude standing next to me who yelled out "HEY IS THAT A NINJA UP THERE" really loudly every time there was a brief moment of them not playing, whether it was during a break in a song or between songs. We were standing front row, so he was yelling it like right in their faces. They obviously heard him but just weren't going to play it, and yet he wouldn't stop throughout the entire show. He was being kind of an obnoxious douche about it.

What was worse is that I saw the setlist before the show and knew it wasn't on there and they weren't going to play it, so it got especially grating after like the 5th time he yelled it :mad:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. I can't really tell whether I like it or dislike it after one listen.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The instrumention makes it sound like (recent) Fall Out Boy or Cobra Starship or Hellogoodbye or some stupid poo poo like that, so I'm leaning more towards dislike than like at the moment.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Air Julio posted:

It sounds distinctly like Minus The Bear despite being different from their earlier stuff.

The vocals do. And the drumming (except the drum machine parts). Everything else? I don't know how you're seeing that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

-Atom- posted:

Here's the album version of Diamond Lightning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it-a56rI1Gk

Really awesome, and I just pre-ordered the new album along with some tickets to the Regency Ballroom.

Now this is more like it! I hope the rest of the album is this good. Well, besides Lonely Gun because we already know how that one turns out. Why even put that on the same album as this?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Meh :smith:

Did they just put Diamond Lightning on this album to have a one track reminder of how they used to sound (very good) and the rest of it will just be their new sound (not as good)?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stream Minus The Bear's new album Infinity Overhead for the next 24 hours at their website: http://minusthebear.com/

It's...alright. There's Diamond Lightning, which is outstanding. And "Empty Party Room" which is Minus The Bear's take on Pinback's Non-Photo Blue. Not that this one is a great song, but I thought that was interesting. More interesting than the rest, which are filled with decent parts that are merely decent. Nothing mindblowing here.

There are a few really cool guitar parts here and there, but the album isn't chock full of them like it could (should) be.

There aren't more flat out bad pop-punk ripoff songs like Lonely Gun, fortunately, but almost all of the songs on this one are forgettable. Can't see myself feeling the desire to listen to any of them again except for those 2 I mentioned by name.

edit: Okay, what the gently caress is this. Cold Company sounds like something straight off Planet Of Ice and it rules. Why did they make the last track really good but most of the ones leading up to it not so good? I feel like if the whole album sounded like this, it would've been way better and much more memorable.

edit2: Oops, Non-Photo Blue by Pinback. Not AFK.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 23, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I...uhh...I don't think I like that too much :(

I'd definitely have to hear more before making a judgment call on the album as a whole, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

d0grent posted:

I love rooftops because they manage to blend complexity with soft calming riffs so well. They also somehow manage to have that cliche "math rock" guitar tone while still sounding unique in a way. Here's my favorite song off the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlnOSKmjyV4

Fun Fact - All the song names on that album are anagrams of each other.

Shiiiiit, this sounds so mellow. I love it. I've gotta grab this whole album. Thanks so much for sharing!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh, that song's from Infinity Overhead? I got an e-mail about the video earlier and I thought it was a new song. Shows how much I listen to that album :v:

I almost always have my iPod on shuffle in my car, and anytime Diamond Lightning or Cold Company come on, I'll crank the volume all the way up and get really into them. But if any of the other songs from that album come up, I tend to skip them.

Listening to Listing now and this is exactly why. It's not a bad song I guess, it's just really loving boring.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I love My Time. It sounds awesome when they play it live, too :shobon:

The more I listen to Omni, the more I think I love every song on that album. Can't say the same for Infinity Overhead, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This new Tera Melos album :swoon: It's different and weird but I can't help but really enjoy it. I feel like the songs wouldn't work as well individually, but the album as a whole is very good. Can't wait to go driving to this one. These drums sound like sex.

Also, poo poo, I'd really like to see them live again. I saw 'em like 5 years ago when I was unfamiliar with them. They put on a fun show and sounded great, but I feel like I'd appreciate them more now, especially if they're playing some material from this album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well this is pretty cool! Better than the majority of Infinity Overhead. Doesn't really belong in a fighting game though...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah I'm seeing them in early September when they come here :) It'll be my 4th time seeing them. I'm really excited, and I bought Acoustics 1 at the first show I saw of theirs, so it'll be cool to pick up Acoustics 2 at this one if they sell it there.

What I didn't know is, holy poo poo, TERA MELOS IS PLAYING WITH THEM AT THIS SHOW :aaaaa:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ordinaire posted:

TOAST
from Monroe, LA
http://toastofficial.bandcamp.com/

Local band from where I my college town. As fine an example of math rock as I can think of.
:stare:

This tripped me up because there used to be a ska band here in New Orleans called Toast. I think I saw them play a couple times. They weren't very good. This band is infinitely better. Definitely downloading that EP.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Minus the Bear unveiled the cover art and tracklist for their new album Lost Loves coming out in October.

The tracklist is really exciting to me because it includes 3 Planet of Ice b-sides, including Electric Rainbow which is one of my favorite songs of theirs period.

quote:

1. Electric Rainbow
2. Surf-N-Turf
3. Broken China
4. Walk On Air
5. Patiently Waiting
6. Cat Calls & Ill Means
7. Invented Memory
8. South Side Life
9. Your Private Sky
10. The Lucky Ones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_wzU1xR5LU

They also announced a fall tour with O'Brother, Young Widows and Mansions.

quote:

09/20 – Los Angeles, CA @ Sunset Strip Music Festival
10/14 – Pittsburgh, PA @ Club Cafe *
10/15 – Brooklyn, NY @ Saint Vitus *
10/16 – Cambridge, MA @ The Sinclair *
10/17 – New York, NY @ Gramercy Theatre *
10/18 – Philadelphia, PA @ Underground Arts *
10/19 – Washington, DC @ Rock & Roll Hotel *
10/21 – Cleveland, OH @ Grog Shop #
10/22 – Detroit, MI @ Magic Stick #
10/23 – Chicago, IL @ Bottom Lounge #
10/24 – Minneapolis, MN @ Triple Rock #
10/25 – Des Moines, IA @ Wolly’s #
10/27 – Denver, CO @ Marquis Theatre
11/01 – Seattle, WA @ The Crocodile &
11/20 – San Francisco, CA @ Slim’s &
11/21 – San Diego, CA @ Casbah &
11/22 – Pomona, CA @ Glasshouse &
11/23 – San Luis Obispo, CA @ SLO Brewing Co. &

* = w/ O’Brother
# = w/ Young Widows
& = w/ Mansions

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Magic Stick and The Grog Shop seem like really small places for Minus the Bear. They sold out the Grog Shop with Cursive(?) pretty quickly, and when they co-headlined with Circa Survive in Michigan they played Royal Oak Music Theater, which is a legit music hall.
I've seen them 4 times: twice at the House of Blues, once at an outdoor festival and once at Tipitina's. Tipitina's is a lot more compact than the House of Blues and the crowd was pretty jam packed together in there but MtB still fit on stage and the show still went on and everything. It was a blast, too. That was the tour with Tera Melos.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vaah posted:

The AV Club just put up an unreleased track off of Minus the Bear's Lost Loves: "The Lucky Ones".

Really digging it. I'm wondering if they're going to change up anything in the Planet of Ice/Omni B-sides or leave them mostly untouched.
Yeah, wow, I dig the hell out of this too. This album is gonna be something special. How do they have so many awesome b-sides that sound better than some of the tracks that made it to their last album?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Minus The Bear's new album "Lost Loves" is now streamable on Pitchfork Advance.

Reminder: This one is a collection of their rare and unreleased stuff over the years.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Harminoff posted:

New And So I Watch You From Afar album is out, surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrhhtqDFdc0G0Bn9Mz_E8p6_mdxPr0W3B
It has in the post-rock thread :v:

poo poo is real good. None of y'all better sleep on this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Eh, it's probably one of the least interesting songs in their entire catalog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOvy2ivZDOE

New Toe's pretty fuckin' good, y'all :swoon:

• Locked thread