Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

Ambuletz posted:

i've seen some great bands posted, I have lots but let's see some international math rock:

good idea/bad idea (spain, mathy post hardcore-ish)
lobster (portugal, power duo)
billy chocolat (france, insane)
nuito (japan, awesome, totally unlike te or toe)
LITE (also japan)

and these dudes from oak forest, freudian slip, sign me up for 5/4 and 7/4, please!

America: Rumah Sakit; SWIMS; Them, Roaring Twenties; HEY!TONAL; By the end of tonight; auto!automatic!!; Sleeping People; dakota/dakota; ahleuchatistas

holy cow there are more, but this is the only music I really listen to these days. It's probably why I'm so crazy. HEY!TONAL is cool because:

edit: i thought i checked well enough, i posted a couple repeats

Oh god its like you just listed all of my favorite bands of the genre in one convenient place. Add Piglet to that list too!

Math rock is interesting because it really isn't a real genre. Bands like The loving Champs, Pinback, Pattern Is Movement, or Battles wouldn't really be considered mathy, but they seem to fit well when played next to/are compared to more mathy bands like Hella or Doncab. Really I think its just a progression of prog, but stripped almost completely of improv.

What's great about this genre though is nobody is a real rock star. They are all poor schmucks who aren't at all famous, because they play a type of music that is completely unmarketable. Every band I've seen that would fall into this category has been cool enough to sit down and bullshit music with me after/before the show, or trade messages on myspace/facebook. I had a pretty embarrassing "starstruck" moment with Sleeping People once though. They are my all time favorite. I had been messaging one of them on Myspace before the show, and they were cool enough to put me and a buddy on the list. After the show, the bassist and guitarist invite us to the back to hang out. I am normally a very sociable talkative guy, but I could hardly stammer out a full sentence. Keep in mind these guys haven't showered in days and have been living in a van, but to me they were legends of rock, up there with LZ, or the Beatles. When I did begin to speak, the words came so fast, they must have thought me a crazy person. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread