Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Minus the Bear is releasing a new album August 28th.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL2DqaujxIo

The minute or so clip sounds fantastic, though I wish they'd announce a new record with a full single at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I'm a new convert as well, only having seriously delved into their material about 5 or six months ago. For the life of me I can't find anything else that sounds quite like them. They are magic. There's a quality to their music that actually puts me places nostalgically despite not having listened to those songs at that time, if that makes any sense. The tone of the trailer video puts me somewhere in my youth that is both exhilarating and sad. I had goosebumps and a lump in my throat over the course of a stupid minute long teaser. Powerful stuff. Can not wait.

Here's the track listing:
1. Steel and Blood
2. Lies and Eyes
3. Diamond Lightning (trailer song)
4. Toska
5. Listing
6. Heaven Is A Ghost Town
7. Empty Party Rooms
8. Zeros
9. Lonely Gun
10. Cold Company

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I don't know, I finally got a chance to listen to it, and the song got my feet tapping like they always do. They've definitely changed over the years, some would say for the worse, but I'd like to think every band's sound changes a bit over the span of 6 albums. It sounds distinctly like Minus The Bear despite being different from their earlier stuff. We'll see how it holds up after the album comes out and I obsessively listen to it 50 times.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Listening to it again, the guitars are obviously fuzzed out, and it sounds like a wah pedal is getting used among some other effects. I'd argue that if you took those effects away, the playing style is still very similar. I could see a lot of the riffs and hooks being used clean or acoustic if needed. All the odd start/stops are there. I dunno, I don't hate it.

I should say that I don't hate Omni as much as most fans do. That might help put my opinion in perspective.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Oh man that song is so loving good. Can't wait for that new album.

Lines across maps are really good as suggested above. Their newest ep is on spotify if anyone's interested.

Found a band called Proceed and they're pretty cool. I don't know how mathrock-ish they are, but they're pretty awesome. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJZ-0Tm46VI&feature=related This is far from their best song, but the only real video of theirs I could find.

Starting a station based on them turned up this other band called Blitz Kids http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geC9lqkLAvk Again, I don't know if either of these bands belong in here, but I like 'em so give them a listen, maybe.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Can certainly understand people not liking that new one but I kinda dug it. Bought my tickets to see them in Boston in September. So pumped.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I really like the album on first listen. They just have an enjoyable sound that just makes me feel good. Lies and Eyes, Toska, and Heaven is a Ghost Town are early favorites. Just now listening to Cold Company and really digging this, too. Not their best work, but certainly not bad at all. Like I said, their overall sound is enjoyable, even if I don't love certain tracks. Can't wait to have an actual copy of this and listen over good speakers.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Now that I've heard the album a good 10 or 20 times now, I can definitively say this is better than Omni. The only clunker, really, is Heaven is a ghost town which I initially liked. Not to say it's a bad song even, just kinda slow and repetitive. Cold Company is absolutely loving amazing and by far the best song on the album with diamond lightning a close second. Whoever said earlier that it sounded like something off Planet of Ice is spot-on. There's super-impressive guitar work all over this album. Now I'm totally pumped to see which songs they play off the new album when I see them next month. Any goons going to the Boston show?

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

DJ Burette posted:

Try listening to some This Town Needs Guns

TTNG is loving fantastic. They were the first math-rocky band to really hook me a couple years ago. The new album is really good, and it is streaming on soundcloud currently. https://soundcloud.com/sargent-house/sets/ttng-13-0-0-0-0

Anyone listen to Rooftops? A buddy has played a few tracks for me and they seem like they would fit in here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp60LTGerNQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

The song itself is kinda mediocre for MtB, but I'll be damned if I don't belt out the chorus along with the band each time.

• Locked thread