Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Don Lapre posted:

If you already have 8gb ddr3 I would just use it. A good 500w 80plus certified should be plenty for an htpc. I run a 670FTW off a 450w 80 plus bronze with no issues.

sorry, what I meant is that I'd take the 8GB of DDR3 and put them in my new HTPC build... going to be putting 16GB in my desktop machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

MMD3 posted:

would I be seeing any kind of compression/video degradation?

I'd certainly consider this if it has all of the benefits of plex. Plex looks very nice and clean from what I've seen of it.

I use Plex on my Roku for my Bedroom TV and I don't really see any video degradation. The Roku is connected over Wifi and the Plex Server is connected to the router via ethernet. Plex is pretty cool, they have clients for phones and I am able to stream all my files to my Note 2 while I am on my lunch break at work. Pretty solid.

Ambulance
Sep 11, 2004

Judy
Looks like someone finally got XBMC onto a Boxee Box.

https://github.com/quarnster/boxeebox-xbmc
http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41&start=120

Early alpha stages, but definitely worth keeping an eye on.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Boxee Box. More like XBMC and less boxee. Finally.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit
drat, I am glad that XBMC is finally getting on to it, there still is not good (easy) alternative to boxee box that I can find. Those popcorn hour machines have multiple issues, the WD media hubs have issues. I read about something called "The little black box" and apparently it doesn't have the power to do 1080p content, etc. I miss the days of XBMC on the original xbox, except back then HD content was not really required as it is now.

Yes I know I can build a custom pc, a mini shuttle, raspberry pi, but I really don't want to do all that, too complicated and I really just want a finished product. Boxee was supposed to be that but its turned out to be a major disappointment.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Axim posted:

drat, I am glad that XBMC is finally getting on to it, there still is not good (easy) alternative to boxee box that I can find. Those popcorn hour machines have multiple issues, the WD media hubs have issues. I read about something called "The little black box" and apparently it doesn't have the power to do 1080p content, etc. I miss the days of XBMC on the original xbox, except back then HD content was not really required as it is now.

Yes I know I can build a custom pc, a mini shuttle, raspberry pi, but I really don't want to do all that, too complicated and I really just want a finished product. Boxee was supposed to be that but its turned out to be a major disappointment.

Openelec and a zotac mini.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I installed XBMC onto my boxee today. The instructions are pretty easy and straight forward. Install Boxee+Hacks. Copy Custom build xbmc onto thumb drive, insert into box, reboot. XBMC!

It's using Gotham Alpha 10, no crashes, runs a little bit sluggish but boots quicky from my cheap kodak 16gb thumb drive.

Thought I crashed it when I was downloading 3 skins and scanning 4 sources at once. But it just stalled for a second.

http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=263&sid=ea8372e342acf472c3f7e74d0ea98b3f

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

jonathan posted:

So I installed XBMC onto my boxee today. The instructions are pretty easy and straight forward. Install Boxee+Hacks. Copy Custom build xbmc onto thumb drive, insert into box, reboot. XBMC!

It's using Gotham Alpha 10, no crashes, runs a little bit sluggish but boots quicky from my cheap kodak 16gb thumb drive.

Thought I crashed it when I was downloading 3 skins and scanning 4 sources at once. But it just stalled for a second.

http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=263&sid=ea8372e342acf472c3f7e74d0ea98b3f

I forget, do you use the library? If so, is it better on xbmc vs boxee on the hardware? Also, if you take the stick out does it revert back to boxee+? (i assume yes). For some reason I don't think my boxee+ auto updates. There is an option for it, but i'm back on 1.4xx.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

jonathan posted:

I'd like to hear back after you've played with it for a while and see how you like it. I don't really need to modify mine since I gave in and got myself a used laptop for like $100 that does more than the Boxee, but I'm still considering giving the old thing to someone as a gift.

Ambulance
Sep 11, 2004

Judy
I installed it a couple months ago, but gave up on it recently. There's a problem where audio on local media with DTS or DD drops out every 5-15 minutes. I stuck with it for awhile, but it became too annoying and no one seems to know how to fix it. Other than that it ran great and most of the apps I tried ran.

EDIT: I went ahead and tried the latest build and there hasn't been any drop outs. A fix isn't listed in the change log, so i'm not sure if it's fixed or I got lucky on a few files.

Ambulance fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 16, 2013

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Somehow I upgraded my router from a WRT54G running tomato to an airport extreme and my boxee box has started buffering 720p mkvs every 20-30 seconds or so. :psyduck:

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong? Would a raspberry pi be the most painless solution to streaming videos over my lan from an HP microserver that's not powerful enough to do realtime transcoding for plex?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Residency Evil posted:

Would a raspberry pi be the most painless solution to streaming videos over my lan from an HP microserver that's not powerful enough to do realtime transcoding for plex?

For what it's worth, I couldn't recommend an rPi running OpenELEC more. I love mine. DTS Audio and all.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CrashCat posted:

I'd like to hear back after you've played with it for a while and see how you like it. I don't really need to modify mine since I gave in and got myself a used laptop for like $100 that does more than the Boxee, but I'm still considering giving the old thing to someone as a gift.

deong posted:

I forget, do you use the library? If so, is it better on xbmc vs boxee on the hardware? Also, if you take the stick out does it revert back to boxee+? (i assume yes). For some reason I don't think my boxee+ auto updates. There is an option for it, but i'm back on 1.4xx.

Library scanning takes awhile, and the auto update when xbmc loads is also kind of slow. It does NOT run as smoothly as the factory setup. I'm using Gotham Alpha 10, apparently Alpha 8 is more stable and works better, however Gotham is now on feature freeze, so the guys working on boxee xbmc can no focus on performance and stability rather than fixing broken stuff with every new release.

At the moment, I would say it's 70% of a well working xbmc machine. If I was having a movie night with friends or something, I would not use it yet.

With that said, the old lady went downstairs to watch sons of anarchy, turned it on, played it, and didn't even notice it was switched from boxee to xbmc. She was watched 1080p with DTS audio. Normally we use an i5 laptop as the xbmc machine with the latest stable release.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I might be selling my boxee box sans-remote soon if anybody is looking for a backup. I moved over to Roku 3 + Plex and although I miss a lot of things the boxee had to offer it's a far more reliable/responsive setup now and my significant other really appreciates it.

I miss my bookmarklet and having all of my media sources integrated into the UI (vs. having to browse for and open an app then navigate to the media)
I miss the boxee UI quite a bit, I feel like Roku's interface still looks a little amateur compared to Apple TV and Boxee but it gets the job done
I even miss having the community highlighted content being pushed to the front page and having a feed of the videos my friends post to social streams.

There's a lot I'll miss about boxee but I'm just really disappointed they dropped support and how often I had to deal w/ restarts and what not.

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

MMD3 posted:

I might be selling my boxee box sans-remote soon if anybody is looking for a backup. I moved over to Roku 3 + Plex and although I miss a lot of things the boxee had to offer it's a far more reliable/responsive setup now and my significant other really appreciates it.

I miss my bookmarklet and having all of my media sources integrated into the UI (vs. having to browse for and open an app then navigate to the media)
I miss the boxee UI quite a bit, I feel like Roku's interface still looks a little amateur compared to Apple TV and Boxee but it gets the job done
I even miss having the community highlighted content being pushed to the front page and having a feed of the videos my friends post to social streams.

There's a lot I'll miss about boxee but I'm just really disappointed they dropped support and how often I had to deal w/ restarts and what not.

Wish Plex looked like the Boxee interface, don't really like the Plex UI. It's a pain to browse movies and TV shows

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

ShadowStalker posted:

Wish Plex looked like the Boxee interface, don't really like the Plex UI. It's a pain to browse movies and TV shows

it is a pain, yes.... but it does just work. pretty elegantly.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

ShadowStalker posted:

Some of the popular XBMC skins have been ported to Plex, might wanna check that out. I haven't tried any yet but I took a look through the skin forum last night. Saw Aeon Nox and the usual suspects.

Edit: oh nevermind, just realized they will probably only work with Plex Home Theatre and not the STB channels.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 7, 2014

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I have been using my boxee box with boxee hacks installed. It seems to struggle with large directories but otherwise its still a better solution than anything else for playing local content.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Just thought I would share.

If your boxee box shows the grey splash screen but then a blank screen with no opening animation (with all the cubes) OR sound (even if you use analog or optical output), change your hdmi cable.

Similarly if you boot to recovery mode you will get the grey screen and then a solid red screen.

Change the hdmi cable.

The boxee forums will tell you it's bricked, or it's overheated. They are incorrect.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've had that happen a few time. I did a factory restore the first time and it worked. The second time I just turned it off and on and it came back up.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Well I tried those too, along with the 30sec hold of power button to reveal the 3 red 1 green light sequence, which again points to dead box.

It was a cheap hdmi cable that had previously worked fine. Oh well. Had a better one nearby that got it working immediately.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So there is now a windows based executable that installs xbmc onto the boxee box for you.

http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=599

Tried it and it seems to work fine. I will try out the performance and report back.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just did a factory reset of my Boxee last week and now none of my media shows up in the Shows/Movies sections. I can only access them by going into Files. Has anyone ever seen this?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just did a factory reset of my Boxee last week and now none of my media shows up in the Shows/Movies sections. I can only access them by going into Files. Has anyone ever seen this?

dumb question, but... Did you rebuild your library? You've got to add your sources to the library before it'll show up.

jonathan posted:

So there is now a windows based executable that installs xbmc onto the boxee box for you.

http://boxeed.in/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=599

Tried it and it seems to work fine. I will try out the performance and report back.

I don't have many issues with boxee. I don't really use the library as I'm pretty good with my folder structures.. That being said, I love to install poo poo on top of closed systems. I got a raspberry pi to run xbmc and it works great.. but my tv doesn't have audio over hdmi (old 720 big screen) so I only really use it in hotels and at friends.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

deong posted:

dumb question, but... Did you rebuild your library? You've got to add your sources to the library before it'll show up.

Yeah I have the source added and scanned.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah I have the source added and scanned.

Do you have everything in that unidentified folder?
I'd say delete the library, and readd it.

And I assume everyone saw, but Boxee.tv forums were hacked and lost everyones email/pass.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

deong posted:

And I assume everyone saw, but Boxee.tv forums were hacked and lost everyones email/pass.
Those forums were about worthless since nobody cares about the poor thing anymore anyway. Thanks for the link for the XBMC install, since I've gone months without using the drat thing and I haven't been able to drag the rest of my family out of the stone age (as far as I know none of them have a TV with an HDMI port yet) I might fiddle with that later.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

CrashCat posted:

Those forums were about worthless since nobody cares about the poor thing anymore anyway.

Sorry, I meant the email/pass were taken. So make sure that pwd didn't match other sites basically. And yea, I forgot I even had a login for the forums there until LastPass told me about the break in.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CrashCat posted:

Those forums were about worthless since nobody cares about the poor thing anymore anyway. Thanks for the link for the XBMC install, since I've gone months without using the drat thing and I haven't been able to drag the rest of my family out of the stone age (as far as I know none of them have a TV with an HDMI port yet) I might fiddle with that later.

I tried it and its not perfect, but not bad. There are hiccups during library scanning etc. This is with a very recent nightly build. The alpha/beta builds might run smoother. 3D support works but it renders the SBS content in a single frame on the left. Not sure why.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there any performance gain to be had by running XBMC on the Box instead of the vanilla software?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Laserface posted:

Is there any performance gain to be had by running XBMC on the Box instead of the vanilla software?

At the moment performance is slightly worse. The advantage is the ability to customise, tweak and get it looking how you want. Also active development.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
I installed XBMC on one of my boxes and it was very slow compared to Boxee+. At this point I would wait until they have developed it a little further before giving it a try. I don't have a link but there is an active fork of Boxee+ (or there was a few months ago) that was fixing a lot of the bugs and improving performance. Really, that's the way to go, I think.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I have Boxee+ installed (http://boxeed.in/) but I don't know what version I am on, nor what version its at.. I tried checking the site quickly and haven't noticed the version. But, I did find a few things I was unaware of :

Boxee++ faq posted:

Thumbnail Caching to USB / SDCard
You are now able to utilize your USB / SDCard for caching of the poster Thumbnails. To accomplish this, simply create a directory on the drive named
cache
It must be in all lower case and must reside on the root of the drive. Then reboot and it will be utilized instead of Boxee's local storage. If using a high speed card, you should notice a slight improvement in the loading of your posters.

How can I get those 3D and Music overlays to show up
The 3D and Music overlays use the Genre to identify whether they should be displayed. To add the 3D overlay simply add the genre 3D to the NFO:
<genre>3D</genre>
To add the Music overlay do the same but then with either Music or Concert

I'm wondering if the music overlay thing is any good? Not really sure where this Genere is.. does it mean that I'd have to have a NFO file for every album I have? or is this something to movies? I dont know what I'm reading...

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

deong posted:

I have Boxee+ installed (http://boxeed.in/) but I don't know what version I am on, nor what version its at.. I tried checking the site quickly and haven't noticed the version. But, I did find a few things I was unaware of :

I'm wondering if the music overlay thing is any good? Not really sure where this Genere is.. does it mean that I'd have to have a NFO file for every album I have? or is this something to movies? I dont know what I'm reading...

Without actually ever having looked at it, I read that as meaning music movies or concert films

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Does anyone still use BoxeeTV? If so, how well does it work? Comcast finally rolled out the encryption of limited basic to my area, and I don't want to pay $20 per month for stuff that is free OTA :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

eightysixed posted:

Does anyone still use BoxeeTV? If so, how well does it work? Comcast finally rolled out the encryption of limited basic to my area, and I don't want to pay $20 per month for stuff that is free OTA :(

Does the service still even work?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Does the service still even work?

I literally have no idea. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus, but I miss live news and the weather channel. Not to derail, but this thread is pretty dead - any other suggestions? It's a dick move for Comcast to encrypt free OTA stuff :mad:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

eightysixed posted:

I literally have no idea. I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu Plus, but I miss live news and the weather channel. Not to derail, but this thread is pretty dead - any other suggestions? It's a dick move for Comcast to encrypt free OTA stuff :mad:

Comcast has simple DTA's you can get, even HD ones. They are tiny little cable boxes with no guide. You could also get a tivo.

Keep in mind, OTA is not free for Comcast. Basic cable costs them money. People were using basic cable for free and not paying for it.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Comcast has simple DTA's you can get, even HD ones. They are tiny little cable boxes with no guide. You could also get a tivo.

Keep in mind, OTA is not free for Comcast. Basic cable costs them money. People were using basic cable for free and not paying for it.

Right, but there is a difference between Basic Cable and Limited Basic Cable. They won't send me the little cable boxes because I only pay for their 50mbit Internet Service, so Im a little jammed up. Is there a service, other than a full antenna to allow me to get the OTA stuff? I'm in a large condo suite so inside antennas are clearly not an option, and of course I can't mount things on the outer walls or roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

eightysixed posted:

Right, but there is a difference between Basic Cable and Limited Basic Cable. They won't send me the little cable boxes because I only pay for their 50mbit Internet Service, so Im a little jammed up. Is there a service, other than a full antenna to allow me to get the OTA stuff? I'm in a large condo suite so inside antennas are clearly not an option, and of course I can't mount things on the outer walls or roof.

Why would they send you a TV box when you arnt paying them for TV. There was and is no free TV service included with your internet. Just cause it worked didn't mean you were supposed to use it without paying.

If you want TV then pay for it.

One of the reasons they encrypted it now is cause people were using basic cable and not paying for it.

• Locked thread