Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

minute posted:

Anyone have an Amex platinum? I just applied for the 100,000 point sign up bonus and was planning on cancelling in a few months, after a couple trips I have coming up, but after doing some calculations, the travel benefits might actually make it worth to keep even with the $450 annual fee.

I've been enjoying mine. Getting the $200 credit for airlines + $100 GOES is pretty awesome and goes a long way.

They also have heftier coverage for their purchase protection - up to $10,000. I had to use it for a pair of headphones earlier this year and they basically let me keep the broken ones and gave me a full credit for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
How is the Chase Freedom card? I like the cashback and points thing they have going on. I just opened an account at Chase since I'm moving across the country and my current bank only exists in the southeast.

Edit: I have one credit card with USAA that's got a paltry $1000 limit on it and no other credit cards. I don't have a very long credit history (I'm 24) but I've had a lot of bills/utilities in my name for a while and have good enough credit to avoid paying deposits on things like electricity and Internet, at least. And my security deposit for my apartment was half of what it would've normally been otherwise.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Oct 23, 2014

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Its a good card when you get a nice rotating bonus. Last one was gas, currently it's Amazon, which I am milking for I can. I've gotten around $90 in cash back from mine in 10 months. And they gave me $200 sign up bonus which was sweet.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

HonorableTB posted:

How is the Chase Freedom card? I like the cashback and points thing they have going on. I just opened an account at Chase since I'm moving across the country and my current bank only exists in the southeast.

Edit: I have one credit card with USAA that's got a paltry $1000 limit on it and no other credit cards. I don't have a very long credit history (I'm 24) but I've had a lot of bills/utilities in my name for a while and have good enough credit to avoid paying deposits on things like electricity and Internet, at least. And my security deposit for my apartment was half of what it would've normally been otherwise.

If you're in the market for a card, the Chase Freedom is definitely one of the ways to go. In addition to the nice rotating bonus as described by Animal, you also get the Visa Signature benefits - https://usa.visa.com/visasignature/benefits.jsp

This includes a yearly thing where if you buy one movie ticket, you get another for free on Fridays. Its not running right now unfortunately but it comes back yearly.
- http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/05/05/fandango-and-visa-signature-buy-1-get-1-free-movie-tickets-on-fridays/

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'm a big fan of no-hassle rewards cards, so something like the City Cash card is pretty great regardless of context... Unless it is international, of course.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Shadowhand00 posted:

If you're in the market for a card, the Chase Freedom is definitely one of the ways to go. In addition to the nice rotating bonus as described by Animal, you also get the Visa Signature benefits - https://usa.visa.com/visasignature/benefits.jsp

This includes a yearly thing where if you buy one movie ticket, you get another for free on Fridays. Its not running right now unfortunately but it comes back yearly.
- http://millionmilesecrets.com/2014/05/05/fandango-and-visa-signature-buy-1-get-1-free-movie-tickets-on-fridays/

Great! I fired off the application, so I'll know in a week whether or not I'm approved (probably not, they'll likely take one look at me and go "Get the gently caress out you poor")

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

HonorableTB posted:

Why did you open a Chase account :( you're moving to Seattle, you have great CU options.

That said, I like my Freedom card well enough. 5% cash back on fuel last qtr. I wish the rotating categories were better, as this qtr I will only be using it on amazon.. But so be it!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

Why did you open a Chase account :( you're moving to Seattle, you have great CU options.

That said, I like my Freedom card well enough. 5% cash back on fuel last qtr. I wish the rotating categories were better, as this qtr I will only be using it on amazon.. But so be it!

Because while credit unions are awesome, I hate the thought of not having bank access wherever I go. Suntrust was a great bank but only while I lived in the southeast. Chase is far from perfect, but they've got branches nationwide.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

HonorableTB posted:

Because while credit unions are awesome, I hate the thought of not having bank access wherever I go. Suntrust was a great bank but only while I lived in the southeast. Chase is far from perfect, but they've got branches nationwide.

Many CUs reimburse ATM fees...

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

ETB posted:

Many CUs reimburse ATM fees...

Plus most CUs are part of the Co-Op network, with about 30,000 ATMs nationwide as well as over 5,000 CU branches that you can use as your own.

http://co-opcreditunions.org/locator/

Also the ATM inside of nearly every 7-11 is a Co-Op network ATM.

There are more Co-Op network ATMs within a 10 minute walk of me than there are BoA, Chase, and WF combined.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
poo poo that just reminded me I've been using my Amazon visa at amazon instead of my Chase Freedom lately and this quarter is the 5% amazon cash back.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

HonorableTB posted:

As a counter to the others; if Chase works for you and you won't be hit with monthly checking or other ancillary fees then that's great. I haven't found a local credit union I qualify for where I can get free checking that competes with the larger regional bank I currently use. Chase checking isn't available where I live, although I have a Freedom card with them.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

AMEX finally tempted me to upgrade one of my cards. I have Hilton card that I applied for last year for 40,000 HHonors points and just kept it since it was no fee and gave automatic HHonors Silver status. Today I logged in and saw I was pre-approved to upgrade to the Hilton HHonors Surpass card and earn another 50,000 points and it comes with Gold status. Normally doing something like this would just be a product change and signup bonuses are usually for new accounts. The fact that I didn't use an inquiry and my account number stays the same tipped me in favor.

edit: Didn't even realize the benefits of Gold status. Free breakfast and late check out with extras like wifi and lounge access if you are at specific properties. Silver has always gotten free parking as well. Priority Pass for airport lounge access is nice too. I guess the card used to only give Gold for a year but now its for as long as you carry it.

nickutz fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 25, 2014

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
FYI for this thread, the US Bank Cash+ is being nerfed starting 1/1; Restaurants is becoming a 2% category and drug stores are no longer bonused at all. "Clothing Stores" will replace Restaurants as a 5% category.

Look on your statement that cut after 10/10 to see the disclosure.

my statement posted:

Effective January 1, 2015, a new 5% Cash+ Category will be available: Select Clothing Stores featuring
merchants such as Gap and Talbots. Also effective January 1, 2015, Drugstores will be replaced by
Restaurants as a 2% everyday Cash+ Category. Remember to register for your 5% and 2% categories to
get MORE CASH BACK!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

minute posted:

Anyone have an Amex platinum? I just applied for the 100,000 point sign up bonus and was planning on cancelling in a few months, after a couple trips I have coming up, but after doing some calculations, the travel benefits might actually make it worth to keep even with the $450 annual fee.

For business travelers, the offers are awesome in that you expense your meals and keep the extra $5-$15 refund that you get on your statement from the offer. Same with airfare or hotel if you book your own.

You could close it and go with the Delta Platinum when the 50k bonus comes back, right? In the meantime, the Chase Sapphire Preferred has a promo going on.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 28, 2014

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Wife has Chase Freedom and I have Discover IT. Both do 1% cashback on everything and 5% on different things every quarter.

I'd say the only slight advantage of the Discover is that it gives you your fico score for free every month.

I would recommend either if you are looking for a cash back card.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

The Chase Sapphire Preferred annual fee is rising to $150. Looks like Chase wants to position it just below the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card which is at $175.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

nickutz posted:

The Chase Sapphire Preferred annual fee is rising to $150. Looks like Chase wants to position it just below the AMEX Premier Rewards Gold card which is at $175.

No, it isn't, they've been A/B testing the increased fee for years. Just keep opening incognito browser windows until you get one that says $95. (Or click here which is the link straight off chase.com/sapphire to the $95 offer)

(Also, you should probably get a referral instead and help someone out - the referral AFs all appear to still be $95 :3:)

corrse.cx
Jun 1, 2004

Bisty Q. posted:

FYI for this thread, the US Bank Cash+ is being nerfed starting 1/1; Restaurants is becoming a 2% category and drug stores are no longer bonused at all. "Clothing Stores" will replace Restaurants as a 5% category.

Look on your statement that cut after 10/10 to see the disclosure.

It's amazing how far this card has fallen. It went from 5% cash back on all bills and airfare (among other options) to...5% back on fast food and other terrible options? I suppose those with very high cellphone bills will still get some benefit out of it.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:

Scrapez posted:

Wife has Chase Freedom and I have Discover IT. Both do 1% cashback on everything and 5% on different things every quarter.

I'd say the only slight advantage of the Discover is that it gives you your fico score for free every month.

I would recommend either if you are looking for a cash back card.

CapitalOne QuickSilver is 1.5% on all (no rotating, your effective CB% may be better), FICO score (TransUnion), and no foreign fees as well. I think the Venture Rewards grades out similar? Definitely something to look into if you aren't getting the 5% a lot (I don't buy gas or a lot of other 5% categories)

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Citi Cash is your best option (effective 2%) without an annual fee, but no travel benefits. Bank Americard Travel Rewards gives 1.5% with no FTF + chip-sig.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Chase Freedom Mastercard got switched to a chip + PIN Visa which means I no longer have a Mastercard. I use my Amex Blue Cash for gas and grocery as well as electronics for the extended warranty, my Citi Forward Visa for restaurants/Amazon, and my Freedom whenever it's a 5% cash back category. Is there a Mastercard that's worth getting? I have accounts with BoA, Chase, and Citi.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 29, 2014

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Josh Lyman posted:

My Chase Freedom Mastercard got switched to a chip + PIN Visa which means I no longer have a Mastercard. I use my Amex Blue Cash for gas and grocery as well as electronics for the extended warranty, my Citi Forward Visa for restaurants/Amazon, and my Freedom whenever it's a 5% cash back category. Is there a Mastercard that's worth getting? I have accounts with BoA, Chase, and Citi.
You have a Visa, I wouldn't worry about a MasterCard.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SiGmA_X posted:

You have a Visa, I wouldn't worry about a MasterCard.
But Sam's Club :negative:

(I don't spend that much there, guess I'll just use my debit card).

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011
I'm thinking of applying for some new credit cards. I have the Chase Freedom which I use for everything (small everyday purchases, online shopping, big stuff).

I got this offer in the mail today for a Discover "It" card. According to the material, there's no annual fee, no overlimit fee, and no foreign transaction fee :w00t:. It has the same cashback scheme as the Freedom and they forgive your first late payment as well as giving you some 0% APR for a few months dealie. Is this too good to be true? What's the catch? (I can post more info if you need any, I just don't know what's important.)

How do the Chase Freedom, Amex blue cash, and this card compare to each other?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Storgar posted:

I'm thinking of applying for some new credit cards. I have the Chase Freedom which I use for everything (small everyday purchases, online shopping, big stuff).

I got this offer in the mail today for a Discover "It" card. According to the material, there's no annual fee, no overlimit fee, and no foreign transaction fee :w00t:. It has the same cashback scheme as the Freedom and they forgive your first late payment as well as giving you some 0% APR for a few months dealie. Is this too good to be true? What's the catch? (I can post more info if you need any, I just don't know what's important.)

How do the Chase Freedom, Amex blue cash, and this card compare to each other?

Nobody* takes Discover overseas, so of course there's no FTF.

*Outside China and Japan

Get a Capital One QuickSilver -- no FTF, 1.5% cashback on everything, and accepted pretty much everywhere. (If you care about foreign use.)

The It is fine with the cashback rotating categories, though.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Unless you get a lot out of the 5% categories the IT has fallen behind the QuickSilver for me, since it comes with your TransUnion FICO every month now (same as Discover). The only thing the IT is probably better for are new/low credit people, as it's always been fairly easy to get and has a student variety.

Just as an FYI there is a discussion about these types of cards on this very page...

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Not sure if any Canadians follow this thread, but tomorrow is the last day for TD's Aeroplan Infinite VISA card promotion. First year free (annual fee reimbursed on second billing cycle), 25k bonus Aeroplan miles.

Apparently if you signup via "Great Canadian Rebates" you can also get $50 cash back for signing up. Here's the link for that: http://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/display/TD/

I wasn't aware of GCR when I applied, so this is the link I used:

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/credit-cards/view-all-cards/aeroplan-infinite-card/ac.jsp

I have the same card with CIBC, but I'll be moving it to a no-fee card. Free Aeroplan for a year!

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

xie posted:

Just as an FYI there is a discussion about these types of cards on this very page...

Uhhh... oops :yikes:

PittPanther
Sep 6, 2006

minute posted:

I received this offer recently as well. Is it easy to redeem membership reward points? By my calculation, 100,000 points is equivalent to 4 domestic flights, which, along with the $200 airline credit and $100 global entry, make it well worth the $450 annual fee.

Is it a no brainer to apply for the card for the 100,000 sign up bonus?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

PittPanther posted:

I received this offer recently as well. Is it easy to redeem membership reward points? By my calculation, 100,000 points is equivalent to 4 domestic flights, which, along with the $200 airline credit and $100 global entry, make it well worth the $450 annual fee.

Is it a no brainer to apply for the card for the 100,000 sign up bonus?

It is a no brainer to apply for 100K but redeeming them on domestic flights is stupid if you have any desire at all to travel internationally; you can get far better bang for your buck redeeming for premium cabin intl flights.

It's also an even better deal to apply for 100K now, the airline credit is per calendar year, so if you can get one in 2014 and one in 2015, there's $400 right there.

PittPanther
Sep 6, 2006

Bisty Q. posted:

It is a no brainer to apply for 100K but redeeming them on domestic flights is stupid if you have any desire at all to travel internationally; you can get far better bang for your buck redeeming for premium cabin intl flights.

It's also an even better deal to apply for 100K now, the airline credit is per calendar year, so if you can get one in 2014 and one in 2015, there's $400 right there.

Is it better to redeem points through the Amex travel website, or to transfer points to an airline? It appears Virgin Atlantic has a 35% transfer bonus for the rest of this month, and their points can be used on numerous other airlines, including Delta.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

PittPanther posted:

Is it better to redeem points through the Amex travel website, or to transfer points to an airline? It appears Virgin Atlantic has a 35% transfer bonus for the rest of this month, and their points can be used on numerous other airlines, including Delta.

Definitely through the airline, primarily because of the xfer bonuses. It is generally a bad idea to use MR points to redeem on Delta (because Delta's program is super devalued), but it beats letting them linger if you don't have other plans. Transferring MR to British Airways Avios and then buying shorthaul domestic flights (operated on American) can be a really good use of them too, and there are often BA transfer bonuses.

If you book through the website, you're just going to pay 1 point per cent of fare. That's a bad deal considering you can spend, say, 50K points on either a $500 ticket or on a $3500 value business-class international ticket.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I just found this thread and read the first and last pages. I'm looking for a card to transfer the balance from my WF credit card to. Ideally my wife and I are looking for travel/flight benefits the most, with cash back being secondary. I saw the conversation about the Amex Platinum a few posts up and was wondering what other options I have.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

khysanth posted:

I just found this thread and read the first and last pages. I'm looking for a card to transfer the balance from my WF credit card to. Ideally my wife and I are looking for travel/flight benefits the most, with cash back being secondary. I saw the conversation about the Amex Platinum a few posts up and was wondering what other options I have.

don't carry a balance.

If you simply must, this thread won't help you, BTs never earn rewards.

Dengraz
Sep 8, 2003
[empty]

khysanth posted:

Agreed with dude above but if you have to carry a balance for some reason, I agree it's best to transfer it to a card you can get 0% APR on for some amount of months.

Chase Slate and Discover It are the two BT cards I always hear about. You may want to look into those.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

khysanth posted:

One more take on this is that if you're looking at rewards while carrying a balance, that's like looking at the quality of rope that you're about to be hanged by.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

FYI, Discover IT is offering $150 cashback if you purchase $750 in the first 3 months.

https://www.discovercard.com/cardmembersvcs/acqs/app/display?pageFileId=listingsite&sc=KCV6&cmpgnid=...

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008
Are there opinions of the Citi Double Cash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

baquerd posted:

One more take on this is that if you're looking at rewards while carrying a balance, that's like looking at the quality of rope that you're about to be hanged by.
Well, that is a good discussion too. You need a rope that won't bind or break.

I would not concern myself with rewards cards or using the CC until I had it paid off. By carrying a balance, you show that you can't control spending / can't budget. However I also support not paying interest and to that means I would balance transfer and then shred the card until it's paid off. Then reorder the card. Simple.

• Locked thread