Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So currently I use the following credit cards:

Schwab Visa: 2% Back
British Airways Visa: Signed up because of 100k bonus

In addition, I have an Amazon Visa that I never actually use (even though I buy a ton from Amazon) with a tiny $700 limit and an Amex Blue Student that just expired and the new card is waiting for me to activate it. I'll be doing a ton of traveling from November - January, so I'll hang on to the BA Visa until then. Otherwise, I'm going to cancel it as there's a $95 annual fee. Is my thinking right on this? Should I instead get another Amex of some sort? Once interview season ends I'm going to go back to being a pretty infrequent 7-8x/year traveler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Magic Underwear posted:

I see facts here but no motivations. Of course I always recommend ditching annual fees, but do you want to earn BA miles? If you are x miles from a reward ticket then of course either spend x on the BA card or buy the miles directly. In general there is no reason to keep around a card that you only opened for the initial points.

As for getting another card. Do you want another card? The Schwab card is basically the best out there: unbeatable unlimited cash back, no foreign transaction fee, and so on. There really isn't anything out there that is strictly better for cash back.

Like I said before about travel, if you are a really frequent traveler for a long period of time (it takes a long time to build up high status), then go for an amex charge or spg card, or a co-branded card for your hotel and airline of choice. If your travel is just a flurry over a short period like you say, don't bother trying to get super high status.

Some people disagree, though, and (like the guy above me) make really good use of airline miles. I think that is a perfectly valid course, in which case I suggest you spend on an Amex MR or Amex SPG card and only open co-branded cards for the bonuses. This gives you the flexibility to get opening bonuses for several airlines and use your MR or SPG points to fill in the gaps.

Thanks for the response. You've basically hit the nail on the head as far as motivation goes. The only reason I opened the BA card was because of the 100k miles. I was planning on using those for either interview flights or for a sweet trip somewhere before I start residency. Otherwise I was just planning on using the Schwab card for everything because as you said, the 2% is really tough to beat, but figured I'd check hear for something I might be missing. Maybe a card that has better warranty coverage for high ticket purchases? I've heard Amex is good for that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

alreadybeen posted:

Just an FYI, BA charges hefty YQ (fuel surcharges) on award tickets. Hopefully you knew this going in but it is something good to be aware of when redeeming miles. You're best bet is going to be to try and redeem on another oneworld airline.

Yup, I was planning on redeeming them on AA.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
For those of us that are on the Schwab 2% card, what are you guys going to be doing once our cards are done at the end of October? I hate BoA with a passion, and the replacement cards they're offering are awful. My other credit card is a British Airways Chase card that I opened a few months back, an Amazon Visa that I never use, and an old AMEX Blue for Students card that I never use. I loved the Schwab card because I didn't have to think about anything but now I'm not sure what to switch to. I'll be traveling a ton for residency interviews in the next few months, but beyond that I only fly every 2 months or so. Any thoughts on a good general purpose rewards card?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 24, 2011

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Magic Underwear posted:

http://personal.fidelity.com/products/checking/content/amex_rewards_card.shtml

2%, 1% foreign transaction fee instead of 0%, Amex instead of Visa. Must deposit rewards into a Fidelity account.

I saw that one but I'm not sure I really want to open another investment account that's not associated with my bank just for the rewards. I'm also kind of wondering how long that's going to last, especially since it's also managed by BoA.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
dongsweep: I was in the same situation and ended up going with the Fidelity Investment Rewards card. It's a Visa, 1.5% on the first 15k, 2% after that (so a difference of $75). Unfortunately there's also a currency exchange fee for international transactions, but other than that it's pretty similar to the Schwab card.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I use the Fidelity 1.5% Visa as my primary card.

Schwab 2% never forget. :911:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

minute posted:

PenFed still gives 3% on groceries and 1% gas as well. Also, the Citi Forward gives 5 points on Amazon and restaurants. The Fidelity card is great but it's Amex, so it's not as widely accepted.

I use the fidelity visa for this reason. 1.5% for the first 15k, 2% after that. Unfortunately not as good as the old Schwab card but I don't think anything is.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Magic Underwear posted:

The Fidelity Amex is a straight 2%, exactly like the Schwab was.

True it's 2%, but it's still not as good in all other ways. Either way I prefer to have a Visa as my primary card.

edit: And as soon as I post this I see this new Priceline card. This looks pretty solid. I wonder what the foreign transaction fees are.
edit2: Merr, 3%.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 2, 2012

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

I'm a recent college grad and I'm looking to build credit. Currently I have none, so I'm having trouble even getting a store credit card (applied for a student card and a local grocery store card, both denied due to a lack of credit references.)

I figure the best route is to get a secured credit card, but my bank (Ally) doesn't offer one and the terms for cards I've looked at seem a bit dicey/I'm unsure if they'll actually help build credit. Is there any goon consensus on the best secured credit card that'll help me build credit so I can get a real adult credit card someday? And how long does it take to build credit to the point where banks will take me seriously?

When I had no credit history in college I ended up applying for my college's credit union's credit card. Only a $500 limit, but it was unsecured and allowed me to build my credit up fairly quickly to the point that I could be pretty much approved for any card by graduation.

Obviously YMMW but it may be worth checking out if this is an option for you.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My current regular credit card is the Fidelity Visa. I also have a very old student Amex account that I never use as well, a college credit union card I never use (my oldest), as well as an Amazon Visa I only use for amazon purchases. I'm single, usually spend around 1k on my credit card, and only travel 4-5x/year. Should I:

1) Not worry about it too much and just use the Fidelity Visa
2) Add on the Fidelity Amex
3) Grab another card?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

My current regular credit card is the Fidelity Visa. I also have a very old student Amex account that I never use as well, a college credit union card I never use (my oldest), as well as an Amazon Visa I only use for amazon purchases. I'm single, usually spend around 1k on my credit card, and only travel 4-5x/year. Should I:

1) Not worry about it too much and just use the Fidelity Visa
2) Add on the Fidelity Amex
3) Grab another card?

Any thoughts?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's a reasonable way to figure out how much to ask for in credit line increases? Is there a general formula they used based on income/credit already open, or do they take other factors in to account? I'm asking because I called to ask for a credit line increase for my Fidelity Visa and the agent made a point of saying he couldn't suggest how much I should ask for. I went from a $5k limit to a $20k limit but have no idea if that was too little or not.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

nickutz posted:

To add to rewards chat: Anyone done anything cool with their points lately?

I just redeemed my 4th flight segment using some of the 100k BA points I got a few years back. It'd be better if BA didn't have such terrible flight availability, but I've gotten lucky a few times and still have 58k points left. :shrug:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is the fidelity Amex a "real" American Express card? Does it have all of the regular features associated with Amex cards such as extended warranties? I'm trying to figure out what card would best complement my fidelity visa.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My second oldest card is a student blue AMEX that I opened in 2007 and haven't used in forever since my main card is a Fidelity Visa. What's the best way thing to convert my old student Amex in to something that I'd actually use? I feel like I should keep my student card open since I don't want to lower the average age of my accounts, but I'm not sure what the best way/card to convert it in to is, or if I should just leave it alone.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Animal posted:

Just call AMEX and ask them to convert it to a Blue Card Express or whatever you want.

The Leck posted:

Just a reminder that American Express will backdate new credit cards to the open date of your oldest active card, so having it around (or converted into something else) will help your average age if you get other Amex cards in the future.

That's where my question's coming from, since I want to make sure that I don't lose the 7 years I've had it. Sounds like I can just convert to the Blue Cash Everyday Card and I'll be fine though (that or the Preferred one are probably the one to get, right?)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

minute posted:

Anyone have an Amex platinum? I just applied for the 100,000 point sign up bonus and was planning on cancelling in a few months, after a couple trips I have coming up, but after doing some calculations, the travel benefits might actually make it worth to keep even with the $450 annual fee.

I got one as well for the sign up bonus. Definitely tempting when you look at everything it comes with.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yeah, AMEX Platinum is at the very least worth a year for the Global Entry + $400 in airline certificates. The lounge access is getting pretty crappy unfortunately.

• Locked thread