Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Beerdeer posted:

I ordered a starter for Moonstone. If I can't convince anyone to play at least the models are nice.

I also ordered it! Now I'm eyeing a 3D printer for terrain.... I probably shouldn't but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
What is the draw of Moonstone? (Other than the mini style). I prefer mini agnostic games and Moonstone and Relicblade both seem to require buying minis from the company. I'm also not a big fan of games that use special cards as it means pdf versions are less likely, or if they exist I need to produce cards not just a book.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Indolent Bastard posted:

What is the draw of Moonstone? (Other than the mini style). I prefer mini agnostic games and Moonstone and Relicblade both seem to require buying minis from the company. I'm also not a big fan of games that use special cards as it means pdf versions are less likely, or if they exist I need to produce cards not just a book.

I mean, the website appears to have downloads of all the cards, rules, and even paper standees of the miniatures so this doesn't really seem like an issue, no reason you couldn't try it out with whatever roughly equivalent minis you have around

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Both of moonstones resolution systems are fantastic fun to engage with whether you use official minis or not. It's a tremendous interpretation of the standard fantasy gang skirmish that's so popular.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I am glad I said something. I had no idea the site had everything for download.

I will take a look, thanks.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

The Malthusian posted:

While we are discussing rule sets again, has anyone heard of or played Yafisga from Black Site Studios?

I've been interested cause the models and promo material look really cool, but the last thing I need is another niche miniatures combat game so I haven't taken the plunge.

I'm also waiting on my Pit Lord preorder so I'm trying not to buy anything from them until I get that in and mess with it.

Beast Pussy
Nov 30, 2006

You are dark inside

Thanks, this is a great place to start, and I've actually got most of those models. I always forget about proxying. Even though the game specifically says "use whatever", my brain refuses to not think about using the "right" toy.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Indolent Bastard posted:

I am glad I said something. I had no idea the site had everything for download.

I will take a look, thanks.
the power of :justpost:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Nancy posted:

I'm also waiting on my Pit Lord preorder

Hell, same.

quote:

so I'm trying not to buy anything from them until I get that in and mess with it.

But I also bought Void Cowboys and am waiting on it too.

Maybe one day I'll learn not to do a late pre-order from BSS or order from them while they're at a gaming convention or just before the holidays...

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
BSS are weird dudes. They're locals, but really insular. I only ever see them at one con, and they don't do demos, run games, or really interact with anyone beyond sales. And I spent 4 hours at a game adjacent to their booth last year. They did get into a long technical talk with the guy from the Talon Games booth about scaling laser patterns or something (it was a lull in vendor traffic right after the Saturday morning game slots were all going).

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Slyphic posted:

BSS are weird dudes. They're locals, but really insular. I only ever see them at one con, and they don't do demos, run games, or really interact with anyone beyond sales. And I spent 4 hours at a game adjacent to their booth last year. They did get into a long technical talk with the guy from the Talon Games booth about scaling laser patterns or something (it was a lull in vendor traffic right after the Saturday morning game slots were all going).

Yeah, I’ve tried to get in their game publishing area a few times with some projects (including basic rules and sculpts for models ready) but have never actually heard a response despite e-mails. I suspect they get a lot more ideas than they can deal with, but it’s put me off a bit personally.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The expansion for Mörk Boll (aka Forbidden Psalm but football) got released

A few more options for special players, mascots, and refs, which is cool for me since I felt like there wasn't a lot of choices in the core rules. The new fields adapt real sports to the Mörk Boll format - Basketball, you have to throw the ball to a single square to score. Soccer you have to kick it into the scoring area, volleyball has a net in the middle that needs to be climbed over.

The solo "training mode" puts a team against a squad of skeletons. I was planning on playing a game of Mörk Boll while I'm off next week, so I guess now I'll play one of "Team vs. Team" and one vs. the skeletons and see if I prefer one to the other.

All in all, it looks like an expansion that makes an already dumb, silly game dumber and sillier and seemed worth the $6 for the PDF.

Also one of the referee options is the Grim Reaper. So that'll be fun to paint.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

After some investigating I have decided that between Relicblade and Moonstone, Relicblade wins.

Thanks for the feedback that got me to take a look into them.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I got my Moonstone stuff today. Beautiful minis, but bumping up to 48 or 54mm would make them perfect.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Indolent Bastard posted:

After some investigating I have decided that between Relicblade and Moonstone, Relicblade wins.

Thanks for the feedback that got me to take a look into them.

I haven’t played moonstone, but Relicblade is absolutely top tier for skirmish. I don’t think you’ll regret that choice at all.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Beerdeer posted:

I got my Moonstone stuff today. Beautiful minis, but bumping up to 48 or 54mm would make them perfect.

How big are they? ”Largeish 32”? Some of those goblins look really tempting…

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

lilljonas posted:

How big are they? ”Largeish 32”?
They've got a lot of variance from interesting body shapes, but I remember a post measuring one of the more normal humans at 35mm from heels to eyes.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I haven’t played moonstone, but Relicblade is absolutely top tier for skirmish. I don’t think you’ll regret that choice at all.

I am determining which factions I want to start and I have managed a sneak peek at the tactic and weapon cards via table top simulator and unboxing videos but I cannot for the life of me find the six Moldorf Expedition cards. You can see the character cards on the Relicblade website, but nothing else.

Is it allowed or appropriate to ask if someone could share images of the 6 cards? I'm not looking for something printable, I just want to peep the perks and tricks the cards offer.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

lilljonas posted:

How big are they? ”Largeish 32”? Some of those goblins look really tempting…

Flintlock the human, 30k marine, goblin king, Mortician

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
Both are neat games.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I am determining which factions I want to start and I have managed a sneak peek at the tactic and weapon cards via table top simulator and unboxing videos but I cannot for the life of me find the six Moldorf Expedition cards. You can see the character cards on the Relicblade website, but nothing else.

Is it allowed or appropriate to ask if someone could share images of the 6 cards? I'm not looking for something printable, I just want to peep the perks and tricks the cards offer.

Google doc of all the cards. I'm not sure if this counts as files, (I think I got it from the official Relicblade FB.) it's more of a cool and helpful list so ppl know what cards to buy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RsHIveD7yMPqYGJBAHH4--99b_JYB0xNcgeM5oTDB2Y/edit?usp=sharing

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

BSS sent me the PDF of the Pit Lord rules, so hopefully that means they'll ship the game to me soon-ish.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I completely forgot about Pit Lord until I got that email. I'm surprised that they didn't have it at Adepticon (or I just completely missed it as their booth was loving slammed when I was there).

Though The Chase being their April Fools release and coming out four days late makes me wonder how busy they are.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

How the gently caress am I just learning about this?

Definitely gonna use Philip Seymour Hoffman

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I know, right?

Right on, more Paxton for me...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

LewdMonocle posted:

Both are neat games.

Google doc of all the cards. I'm not sure if this counts as files, (I think I got it from the official Relicblade FB.) it's more of a cool and helpful list so ppl know what cards to buy.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RsHIveD7yMPqYGJBAHH4--99b_JYB0xNcgeM5oTDB2Y/edit?usp=sharing

This is fantastic and far better than the janky excel spreadsheet I was assembling. Thank you very much.

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
Oh, it doesn't have the upgrade cards abilities listed, just what slot they fit. So it's def not files. Um, honestly Relicblade isn't a try-hard game. Just pick duders that look cool. I wouldn't stress too much about upgrades. You're gonna be playing one-offs or campaigns that should be at most 4ish missions long. After that, the typical issues of campaign game imbalance pops up.

Content: Buddy's Enclave

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

LewdMonocle posted:

Oh, it doesn't have the upgrade cards abilities listed, just what slot they fit. So it's def not files. Um, honestly Relicblade isn't a try-hard game. Just pick duders that look cool. I wouldn't stress too much about upgrades. You're gonna be playing one-offs or campaigns that should be at most 4ish missions long. After that, the typical issues of campaign game imbalance pops up.

Content: Buddy's Enclave

I just have that "gotta get 'em all" obsession that precludes me ever getting into a game like MtG or anything with a regular release cycle/season.

X-wing was the closest I got, and when it started branching out into too many factions I just gave up, luckily that was before it got too out of hand.

For Relicblade, since you can get PDFs of the cards and books I'm planning on using some of my hundreds of minis sitting in boxes to make factions. I don't love the style of some of the factions in the game and so using the Beastmen I already have for Pigs is cheaper and doesn't add to my pile of shame.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 7, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Ordered When Nightmares Come by Patrick Todoroff because Zona Alfa was a real nice system. On page one there's a real obvious typo that tells you the game uses "288m figure". Must be a kick in the fork when you work so hard on a new game.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Ordered When Nightmares Come by Patrick Todoroff because Zona Alfa was a real nice system. On page one there's a real obvious typo that tells you the game uses "288m figure". Must be a kick in the fork when you work so hard on a new game.

The scale creep is real.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's actually heroic 255m.

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

I just have that "gotta get 'em all" obsession that precludes me ever getting into a game like MtG or anything with a regular release cycle/season.

X-wing was the closest I got, and when it started branching out into too many factions I just gave up, luckily that was before it got too out of hand.

For Relicblade, since you can get PDFs of the cards and books I'm planning on using some of my hundreds of minis sitting in boxes to make factions. I don't love the style of some of the factions in the game and so using the Beastmen I already have for Pigs is cheaper and doesn't add to my pile of shame.

Oh man, Same!
Proxie all day, I wouldn't kick you out. Sadly that's a controversial take in my group.

So what's the current state of sub 28mm fantasy rank and flank, are Warmaster Revolution and Kings of War in centimeters still tops?
I was checking out Argatoria, it's so close to what I'm looking for except it uses base removal.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Springfield Fatts posted:

As for mass battle talk there's a free mod for the great historicals game To The Strongest! called M2 Monsters and Magic Link:http://ttsm2.co.uk/m2/.
The twist here is that TtS and M2 are gridded games, getting rid of the most finicky part of ancients which is movement. All combat and c&c is handled via card draws from a playing card deck. It's pretty good and has an active fanbase and rules for I think every Warmaster faction you'd have models for.

I'm a shill for the system but if you're using 40mm bases you could do a 3x2' a gridded table using 3" squares.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

LewdMonocle posted:

Oh man, Same!
Proxie all day, I wouldn't kick you out. Sadly that's a controversial take in my group.

So what's the current state of sub 28mm fantasy rank and flank, are Warmaster Revolution and Kings of War in centimeters still tops?
I was checking out Argatoria, it's so close to what I'm looking for except it uses base removal.

Fantastic Battles is the coolest thing I’ve ever played for 6-15 mm.

I’ve tried small scale KoW, but I kinda hate it. The rules are very clear and precise, but it leads to lots of gamey play with sacrificial units and charge blocking based on being juuuust a few mm to one side. I also just don’t think I can go back to systems where entire armies take turns punching each other without reacting.

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
Great! I'll check these out.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gave the solo mode for Mörk Boll and after not even a half, I think I'll stick to just playing both teams because those skeletons are hot garbage (Unless I've misread their AI - entirely possible).

Second turn ended with my Dawn Wood while Dawnblight United's skelly boys got bunched up and smacked up while trying to attack the boll-carrier.

After the post-score kick-off, DU ran the ball into Dawn Wood territory... Only to immediately cough it up on a strip attempt, the boll got handed off to one of my fastest Bollers while two skeletons were 'killed'. After the carrier got into DU territory with an open boller (Who has bonuses to pass attempts made to him), I decided to call it there.

I might try again, but this time with an AI team put together like a real team. +0 for all stats and only 5" of movement just makes those skeletons worthless - even when attacking, they only managed to land one hit on my players.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

There's a new edition of Laserstorm out. Earlier in the thread, impressions of the original were mixed. Has anyone had a chance to flip through this latest version?

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Arquinsiel posted:

Is the system similar to Zona Alfa? I was under the impression it was more similar to Hardwired or Nightwatch, which are good but different.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
No idea yet, I just trust him as a designer based on his previous game.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

The Malthusian posted:

There's a new edition of Laserstorm out. Earlier in the thread, impressions of the original were mixed. Has anyone had a chance to flip through this latest version?

I really liked the reinforcement mechanic, didn't love the two-tiered unit creation system and the battlegroup stuff was overly complex. I asked if anyone could chime in on the difference and here's what I got:

A Guy On WG Vault posted:

The unit types have been renamed for clarity. There are solo rules and aircraft rules. Morale now offers some choice and a bit of "push your luck". There's now the option to use up to 5 Battle Groups (instead of just 3). There are "alien" units and some alien special abilities. General attempts to explain things more clearly. Also prettier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Heading to Salute tomorrow (i.e. one of the biggest wargaming conventions in the UK) - anything I should keep my eye out for?

LewdMonocle posted:

I tried Brent Spivey's "Mayhem" which tried to do new things but ultimatley I found a bit of a dogs breakfast. I enoyed the 'Rampant' system in Pikeman's Lament so I played a few games of Dragon Rampant with my Chaos Dwarfs and Undead, but by far the best 10mm rank and flank fantasy game I played was.... WHFB 3rd Edition with dice as casualty markers.

I should highlight the last time I played KoW was 2nd Edition and though I use Warmaster basing I've not actually played it at all.

I have heard really good things about "The Hordes of the Things" / HoTT - here's a link to a knockout campaign that someone ran: http://hordesofthethings.blogspot.com/2023/06/its-hott-knockout-episode-one.html