Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Southern Heel posted:

Heading to Salute tomorrow (i.e. one of the biggest wargaming conventions in the UK) - anything I should keep my eye out for?
[/url]

Cloudships of Mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Southern Heel posted:

I have heard really good things about "The Hordes of the Things" / HoTT - here's a link to a knockout campaign that someone ran: http://hordesofthethings.blogspot.com/2023/06/its-hott-knockout-episode-one.html
It's just DBA with points-buy army lists. Not that that's a bad thing...

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

jodai posted:

Is the system similar to Zona Alfa? I was under the impression it was more similar to Hardwired or Nightwatch, which are good but different.

Quite different, your people have 3 dice assigned to 3 key abilities, either d10/8/6, and that's what you roll when attempting related abilities. There's also some derived stats like movement, carrying capacity and occult charges that come off different ones, but there's no real push to always have a D10 in your main stat, as you're mostly looking for 4+ results.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Southern Heel posted:

Heading to Salute tomorrow (i.e. one of the biggest wargaming conventions in the UK) - anything I should keep my eye out for?

Louise and Annie will have booths if you want to support a couple of cool gaming women. 🤷

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Also Henry Turner changed his travel plans so he could be there. Tell him you like his work :)

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I didn't even know Henry Turner was there! That's a bit of a shame because he's done a lot of hard work. Incidentally despite that I've gone a bit cold on his 3D prints and actually spent a wedge of cash getting Pendraken 10mm replacements.

Pendraken had Future War Commander set up as a display table with some helpers, but no actual games or rules. Same story with Full Spectrum Dominance. I didn't see the Mantic Epic equivalent. It seems to be a hot topic at the moment but I've yet to see a ruleset which really jumps out at me. FSD is too wedded to their expensive miniatures. Maybe I should try NetEpic and get it over with...

Z the IVth posted:

Cloudships of Mars.

Cloudships of Mars Returns was fantastic looking but nothing was happening while I was there. In fact with Mantic Armada at 50% off RRP on the stand, Dystopian Wars only there at Wayland Games it was all a bit quiet for actual naval games. There was a big Jutland table that was always busy and a couple of skirmish-games-on-boats. I kinda have the same problem with age of sail Naval that I do with rank and flank fantasy - it just feels like it'd be easier to just simply play a historical game?

Indolent Bastard posted:

Louise and Annie will have booths if you want to support a couple of cool gaming women. 🤷

Eh, I'm not a fan of supporting people purely based on their sex? But it looked like Rogue Hobbies was going gangbusters so good for her.

Arquinsiel posted:

It's just DBA with points-buy army lists. Not that that's a bad thing...

Yeah, I'm see-sawing on whether I want to do fantasy rank and flank at all. Incidentally I picked up the KoW sample box which contains the mini rulebook and a couple of sprues of misc. demon monsters, but Conquest was conspicuous in its absence unless I missed it? I kinda feel a bit like last year where there are dozens of neat little games like Badgers and Burrowers, or Oakbound, or Moonstone or whatever - but I just don't have the mental capacity to buy in to a whole new world and rules system.

I picked up Planet 28 and Brutal Quest, Kings of War Mini Rulebook (freebie), WHFB 6e (2nd hand), a pair of 10mm horse and musket armies from Pendraken, some paints. I grabbed a copy of the boardgame Heat as well, after thinking about Gaslands a bit.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 13, 2024

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The volume of freebies today was amazing. I ended up spending very little in the end but came home with a full backpack.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Southern Heel posted:

Maybe I should try NetEpic and get it over with...

I've had a ton of fun with NetEA (which is slightly different), using proxy models for most things
https://www.net-armageddon.org/rules.html

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Signal posted:

I've had a ton of fun with NetEA (which is slightly different), using proxy models for most things
https://www.net-armageddon.org/rules.html

Yeah, that’s the good one.

I hated everything GW I ever played and NetEA is simply amazing. It’s tactical, fast and the rulebook is a model for all wargames. The “minigeddon” version is particularly good for head to head play.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Anyone played Cyberpunk Red: Combat Zone by Monster Fight Club? Any thoughts on the system?

https://monsterfightclub.com/pages/cyberpunk-red-combat-zone

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Gave The Chase a playthrough and it was pretty fun. It was pretty quick though - the game has a 6 turn limit and my chasers had gathered the data the needed by turn 2. That was partly due to a low roll on determining the points goal and also high rolls on the tornado that ended up with the tornado practically bee-lining to the crew. Like... In the middle of turn 1, it moved right over the crew.

I didn't see any specific rules for what to do it the tornado runs a chaser over, so I just did the Suck Zone rules and had the tornado spit them out at the end of it's activations. Jo, Bill, and Haynes grabbed onto something, but poor Dusty was too busy jamming out and got taken...

.. Fortunately for him, the tornado weakened slightly and he was only thrown our a short ways. On the bright side that netted a fair bit of data points.

In Turn 2, Dusty staggered away from the tornado and Bill went to check on him right as Dusty ate a piece of high velocity Jersey barrier...

... Again, Fortunately, it only clipped him and he was able to yell "EXTREME!" over the sound of the wind and a manly handshake ensued as they collected the last points of data and got the gently caress out of there.

All in all, it seems a fun game. Seems like it can be really easy to get completely Jonas'ed and murdered, but that's unbridled nature for you and it's not meant as a super serious game anyway.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
A tabletop game about hunting tornadoes and not shooting anything. That's wild.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

They also have Void Cowboys which is about being an astronaut trying to get salvage in debris fields

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Helical Nightmares posted:

A tabletop game about hunting tornadoes and not shooting anything. That's wild.
Turns out you can just make a game about picking apples or herding sheep and you don't have to have murder in it?? The 2020s are bizarre. It's probably cos of woke.

it rules

Cthulu Carl posted:

They also have Void Cowboys which is about being an astronaut trying to get salvage in debris fields
this rules, anyone tried it?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

this rules, anyone tried it?

Ash Barker reviewed the rules on GMG and seemed excited.

I should be getting the zine today and will give it a shot when I have the energy sine this is my first week back to work after a week of doing jack poo poo on vacation.

I also grabbed B&B Nightmare, a game about spending a night in a haunted house, I guess.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
It's a board game but I just got Necromolds. It can be pared down to be a simple game where you make monsters out of clay and then fight them but with the expansion, you can take on a summoner persona, add special items and choose a champion. There's also a fun wound mechanic that let's you stab a little dagger into your enemy if you hit them but don't cause damage. That causes them to roll a less effective die when they attack and defend. The board is really small but the game is really interesting and serves as a decent intro to wargaming. For young kids, I think it pretty much will devolve into smashing the little clay guys but I imagine the game will grow with them. It also includes a solo mode. The components and art are really high quality, with custom dice and wild, neon art that seems like if you took the art from Heavy Metal and just made it family friendly.

Overall it's a really cool experience. It should be available now that they've fulfilled their kickstarter but I know copies usually get snapped up pretty quick.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

jodai posted:

It's a board game but I just got Necromolds. It can be pared down to be a simple game where you make monsters out of clay and then fight them but with the expansion, you can take on a summoner persona, add special items and choose a champion. There's also a fun wound mechanic that let's you stab a little dagger into your enemy if you hit them but don't cause damage. That causes them to roll a less effective die when they attack and defend. The board is really small but the game is really interesting and serves as a decent intro to wargaming. For young kids, I think it pretty much will devolve into smashing the little clay guys but I imagine the game will grow with them. It also includes a solo mode. The components and art are really high quality, with custom dice and wild, neon art that seems like if you took the art from Heavy Metal and just made it family friendly.

Overall it's a really cool experience. It should be available now that they've fulfilled their kickstarter but I know copies usually get snapped up pretty quick.

Ive been wanting to snag it, I probably should even if it's just going to sit around 5 to 6 years before my kids old enough to play it. She won't be able to afford drugs if I get her hooked on board games

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

The volume of freebies today was amazing. I ended up spending very little in the end but came home with a full backpack.

I only got the set from Mantic. What did I miss?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Turns out you can just make a game about picking apples or herding sheep and you don't have to have murder in it?? The 2020s are bizarre. It's probably cos of woke.
There's some good design coming out of the non-combat groups. They're avoiding games where you push all your models into the middle of the table and alternate yelling dice totals at each other and for that alone they should be applauded.

The tornado one is a cool idea with a totally wrong scale and mechanics. Tornadoes aren't that size (that matter to storm chasers). They don't move like that. It should be at least 6mm or smaller.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think the problem with storm chasing is that what makes tornadoes interesting is exactly what makes a wargame impractical. Doing it "realistically" means you just have your dudes get killed by hubris the first couple dozen times you play, whereas Cthulu Carl seems to be describing the wargame version of Twister.

Z the IVth posted:

I only got the set from Mantic. What did I miss?
MAD gaming terrain were giving out their half-hab set if you built it there, One Page Rules had a free 3d printed figure if you signed up for their newsletter, there was the mantic box, and I was there early enough to get the Salute figure and a little really useful box with a magnet base in it from Warmag in my goodie bag.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

I think the problem with storm chasing is that what makes tornadoes interesting is exactly what makes a wargame impractical. Doing it "realistically" means you just have your dudes get killed by hubris the first couple dozen times you play, whereas Cthulu Carl seems to be describing the wargame version of Twister.

Yeah, it very much is Twister: The Movie: The Game, with rules called The Suck Zone or Finger of God and when I named the chasers Jo, Bill, Dusty, and Haynes, it's because that's who the minis are

Basically, the only thing missing to drive the inspiration home is being able to have a very bewildered sex therapist on the team

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Grab a 5-minute topo map, some micromachine vans, have a little tornado model for the center. Have it move like a real tornado, in a random but direction and speed but only Northeasterly each turn. Vary the intensity of the tornado, the amount of debris as it hits shrapnel-able stuff, cross off roads it crosses as impassable. Make the objective to get as close as possible without dying for as long as possible to record the tornado. So it's a push your luck affair combined with fixed pathing and random pathing.

I'd play that at a con.

I lived through too many of them growing up to suspend my disbelief for doing anything meaningful during a tornado at 28mm scale.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 15, 2024

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Other than The Chase, has anyone in this thread played any other good non-combat miniature games? Super interested to find out about more of them.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I have Void Cowboys waiting for me at home according to the tracking. I actually can't think of any others that are non combat, at least that would fall within the purview of this thread

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

a7m2 posted:

Other than The Chase, has anyone in this thread played any other good non-combat miniature games? Super interested to find out about more of them.

I've heard that A Billion Suns is an economics game rather than a wargame? Surely non-combat miniature games is verging very close to boardgames?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Southern Heel posted:

I've heard that A Billion Suns is an economics game rather than a wargame? Surely non-combat miniature games is verging very close to boardgames?

Billion Suns is actually about running a small conglomerate of ships, some of which are armed, some of which may get into a fight, taking contracts and it feels like gig work in space. It's VERY close to a boardgame.

I like board games.

It, and many of these non-combat wargames I've read, feel like they're board games in all but name, would benefit massively from a hex map, and just don't scratch my wargaming itch.

But again, I like board games, so I get something out of them still.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Southern Heel posted:

A Billion Suns you're fulfilling contracts and making money, but the main way to do that is by shooting things

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's an economics game in that you're budgeting how many spaceships to buy to achieve a goal without getting blown up by the other side.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Mörk-Borg-and-Forbidden-Psalm-likes Mek Borg and Steel Psalm just launched on Kickstarter

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/davidhamrick/mekborg-and-steel-psalm

Looking at the quick reference they provide, the rules look about what I'd expect for a Psalm-like with giant robots. It's already funded and (According to them) completely done.

Scale for miniatures looks to be Battletech-sized: "The models can be any that you like so long as they are approximately 35 mm to 45 mm (the same size as other popular "mech"-based games)"

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
But will it actually be legible? Ever mork thing I see sears my corneas and puts me off the rules.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007
If you mean the flouro text in a black background, then I’ve got bad news for your optometrist

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I dunno about Mörk Borg, but with Forbidden Psalm, Dread Nights, Kill Sample Process, and Mörk Boll (I should probably pick up Last War..), I've never had an issue with readability, so :shrug:

They're definitely not printer friendly, though, and I'm still kinda salty about the fields on the Mörk Boll roster having blocks of red where you should be writing in equipment and scrolls... So I just use roster sheets from one of the other games.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Arquinsiel posted:

It's an economics game in that you're budgeting how many spaceships to buy to achieve a goal without getting blown up by the other side.

I've not played the game despite having the rules, but I love the idea of bidding vps for units.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Beffer posted:

If you mean the flouro text in a black background, then I’ve got bad news for your optometrist

Basically. So wait is Mekborg an RPG and Steel Psalm a wargame?

Edit: And for anyone with Forbidden Psalm do you need the Morkborg book to make it work or is it stand-alone?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Springfield Fatts posted:

Basically. So wait is Mekborg an RPG and Steel Psalm a wargame?

Edit: And for anyone with Forbidden Psalm do you need the Morkborg book to make it work or is it stand-alone?

MekBorg is the RPG, Steel Psalm is the wargame. Both are Stand-alone and "contain complete rulesets that stand on their own or work together."

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cthulu Carl posted:

I dunno about Mörk Borg, but with Forbidden Psalm, Dread Nights, Kill Sample Process, and Mörk Boll (I should probably pick up Last War..), I've never had an issue with readability, so :shrug:

They're definitely not printer friendly, though, and I'm still kinda salty about the fields on the Mörk Boll roster having blocks of red where you should be writing in equipment and scrolls... So I just use roster sheets from one of the other games.

It is readable, but can be very annoying to try and find the one thing you want because too much is style over function, see the Spell Scroll list:

Could the book fit into half as many pages and not completely bleed your printer dry with a little restraint on the number of fully black pages with sparse text? They could have...

but chose not to.

I like Forbidden Psalm well enough, but the books are a real pain to navigate and print.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 17, 2024

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Southern Heel posted:

There are multiple (small) tables, each with a different thing going on. You're a manager trying to do the things without spending too much of your budget, because spaceships are expensive and you want to look good in the quarterly reports.

I don't think you're getting your gig-worker frigates off an app, though.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

To be clear, I'm not at all interested in playing it - just offering it as a suggestion for what is ostensible still a wargame but with the focus on economics.

Has anyone done anything with Hobgoblin yet? The beta rules have been out for ages but other than the initial fanboyism of it being a Mike Hutchinson project it's all been silent. It seems the big gimmick is a) that casualties are effectively simultaneous and b) that units are classes with a matrix of 'to hit' rolls. Is that about right?

I'm prepping for an Aggression Campaign in 10mm using Warhammer 4th Edition rules, with five 1000pt armies(https://williamswargames.blog/2024/04/15/oldhammer-aggression-campaign-intro/). The idea being that each army should take a couple of days to paint and have dedicated terrain and I can get a bit more variety out of what I'm playing in both forces and rules.

The above picture shows Warhammer 3rd edition but I've also used Dragon Rampant, and I'm considering Hobgoblin and Kings of War as potential options to explore too.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Southern Heel posted:

To be clear, I'm not at all interested in playing it - just offering it as a suggestion for what is ostensible still a wargame but with the focus on economics.

Has anyone done anything with Hobgoblin yet? The beta rules have been out for ages but other than the initial fanboyism of it being a Mike Hutchinson project it's all been silent. It seems the big gimmick is a) that casualties are effectively simultaneous and b) that units are classes with a matrix of 'to hit' rolls. Is that about right?

I'm prepping for an Aggression Campaign in 10mm using Warhammer 4th Edition rules, with five 1000pt armies(https://williamswargames.blog/2024/04/15/oldhammer-aggression-campaign-intro/). The idea being that each army should take a couple of days to paint and have dedicated terrain and I can get a bit more variety out of what I'm playing in both forces and rules.

The above picture shows Warhammer 3rd edition but I've also used Dragon Rampant, and I'm considering Hobgoblin and Kings of War as potential options to explore too.

My main local group plays Hobgoblin now. I've played one game this far, and I'm currently working on getting my hap-hazard O&G collection into a playable, fully painted, hobgoblin army.

I'd say the main gimmick is that it cuts off a ton of the fiddly nuances of a classic fantasy rank and flank game. Unit movement is fast. Half your army is probably in close combat in turn 2, and most units that hits close combat will be dead within a turn or two. Combat resolution is very fast. Also you make your own units by buying generic units and then adding bonus and malus to them and adjust to cost accordingly. Those are the main things I've taken from playing one game and watching a few more.

The great thing is that we could set up the table, deploy two armies of 10ish units each, fight a battle, and put everything back in about three hours. Where I was playing my first game without having read the rulebook. That's pretty much the biggest appeal to me, but the army construction rules are also pretty interesting as it allows you to think outside the box and not just proxy fun minis you find ("these squig chariots are boar chariots") but actually adjust rules to fit. Honestly my life situation now means that playing full games of WHFB or ToW is just simply not in the cards, so hobgoblin suits my situation much better.

The frustrating part is that there are things you assume would matter more but don't. Getting flank charges are, for example, less devastating than in most other games. At it's core it's a stone-paper-scissors mechanic where matching the right unit against your opponent and getting in multiple unit charges where possible will be the most important part for you. There's a card game of special stuff tacked on that adds a layer, but at it's core I think the main appeal is for people who wants to be able to put big armies on the table and resove the game, but also do it in just a few hours.

E: my shamefully half-painted goblins with blank bases getting completely massacred by Imperials:

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Southern Heel how's Hobgoblin going using multibase? The individual casualty tracking immediately put me off it.