Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Spy posted:

Is it easy enough for people to pick up and learn or is it similar to warhammer where people need the codex's and need to bone up?

Its not as complex as 40k, but yeah, reading your army lists online or in the force books is neccesary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Just tried Malifaux for the first time and loved it! The card mechanic is very well designed and I got a whole lot of play just from the basic Pandora box. The abilities had awesome names like Self Loathing (makes the opponent attack itself) and really set the mood.

All the special rules in the models were pretty intimidating at first though and I know I missed a lot of stuff, but so did my opponent. Very much looking forward to play again.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Ashcans posted:

I am pretty sure he is referring to their 'Gentleman's Collectibles' line, which is poorly sculpted range of naked/pinup models.

It's a little unfair to discount the entire company based on one small line you don't have to click into. GZG's 15mm scifi is pretty good and still growing.

My favorite game is their Stargrunt 2 (same link as Full Thrust). I have a half-finished write up for it on my work computer. I just gotta find some pictures to go along with it.

If Gentleman's Collectibles still put you off, there are a few other companies putting out good stuff. Critical Mass is a newer company with all sort of awesome stuff and have better-looking stuff than GZG, though I haven't actually bought any myself. Khurasan has some "generic animal-based aliens" and "not-xenomorphs". Also 15mm scale pengiun armies.

If you're interested in 15mm scifi, Dropshiop Horizon is a great blog with news from all the good producers.

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Holy poo poo, if you like steampunk and havn't looked at the Smog 1888 minis at the Smartmax store do so right now. I want to buy every single one of them. No rules yet but they are going to be released in April it seems.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego

Arlaharen posted:

Just tried Malifaux for the first time and loved it! The card mechanic is very well designed and I got a whole lot of play just from the basic Pandora box. The abilities had awesome names like Self Loathing (makes the opponent attack itself) and really set the mood.

All the special rules in the models were pretty intimidating at first though and I know I missed a lot of stuff, but so did my opponent. Very much looking forward to play again.

Nice paint job / bases! This week is our first "official" Malifaux game night at the local haunt. I'll get some pics and maybe even do a battle report. As far as rules difficulty goes, by game 3 or 4 it really starts to get easy and speeds up considerably.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Arlaharen posted:

Holy poo poo, if you like steampunk and havn't looked at the Smog 1888 minis at the Smartmax store do so right now. I want to buy every single one of them. No rules yet but they are going to be released in April it seems.

These are the ones that are 1/35 scale, right? Kinda big for a lot of games.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Fix posted:

These are the ones that are 1/35 scale, right? Kinda big for a lot of games.

They're not massive huge, Inquisitor got by with larger scale minis and I suspect smog is going the same kind of direction (i.e. very skirmish / rpg orientated)

mark.yaml
Nov 9, 2009

lo siento, no hablo anglais
Apologies I didn't get it up yesterday, but heres the first draft:http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1353017/Infinity%202nED%20Rewrite%20v0.02.pdf

It's rough and the text will probably take the longest to format so it's not such a strain to read. Theres some formatting inconsistency I've just noticed as well.

Some of the tables are missing that wouldn't fit in well currently.

Interested in feedback about the rules order / progression mainly. There are some parts of the rules that are a little confusing and ambiguous that could probably do with clearing up. I'll post the few that I find when I proof read it again.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I've posted some of my photos and comics explaining various non GW minis games before on the old GBS thread, but here are a few links to my blog post versions for folks who might want a different opinion on some of the games listed so far. Its easier to link to them than HTML tons of pages of pictures and comic styled battle reports with pictures. Just look at the ones for the topics that interest you I guess!

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2009/12/more-gaming-battle-report-comics-from.html

This one covers an actual play AT-43 game and explains out some of its rules and how they work in comparison to 40K. No Paint Vagrant it is not Baby 40K. Its actually quite a lot more strategic than 40K and with a vastly smoother set of game rules.

And AT 43 minis look GREAT for the most part:
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-red-blok-guard-army-or-descent-into.html

Solid paint apps and its easy to just add flock to the bases like I did, or for you really hardcore good painters, use the base apps as a timesaving device and just add on all that shading, detail, and lightsourcing.

(Now the prepaints in the 70 dollar starter army sets ARE a bit lower, though the AT 43 sets look better so far compared to the Confrontation ones which really are just base coats you have to add more paint to.)

The boxed Confrontation sets look better than anything I can pull off though:
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2009/03/i-love-rackham-sales.html

Here is a MASSIVE report series on Arcane Legions. Everything you ever wanted to know, but will be too fuckin lazy to read:

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2009/10/arcane-legions-first-look-review.html
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2009/10/arcane-legions-playtest-review.html
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2009/10/arcane-legions-expansion-review.html
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2009/10/argh-painting-takes-too-long-plus-game.html

Its really a great and clever game. Its probably my favorite block movement minis game out there. I will probably take a few of its rules and retrofit them back into the older Clix games if there are ever any friendly games played at my house. (Which is about the only way I can see any Clix game being fun. Even when I won Heroclix tourneys I don't think I had the slightest bit of fun!)

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2009/05/uncharted-seas-battle-report.html

An actual IN PLAY game of Uncharted Seas. I would really love to play this game more often but my local area that doesn't involve the few gamers willing to come over my house on Tuesday doesn't have anyone playing anything really outside of 40K and Magic.

If anyone is interested, I could probably do the writeups for Silent Death, Ogre/GEV, and Federation Commander which are REALLY good minis war games that need far more love than they get.

Sadly it seems like in most places its either 40K or gently caress off. :smith:

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
So my buddy scored a ton of Mutant Chronicles CMG boxes on the cheap and gave me about half of what he got for Christmas. Seeing as how Fantasy Flight cancelled the game a while back, some of what he wasn't able to pick up is hard to find. Anyone have a good place to search for these figs or know if your local store has some they're trying to offload?

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Ashcans posted:

I am pretty sure he is referring to their 'Gentleman's Collectibles' line, which is poorly sculpted range of naked/pinup models.
That may be NWS, but don't miss the NMS Phalons from their Full Thrust starship range.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

FordCQC posted:

So my buddy scored a ton of Mutant Chronicles CMG boxes on the cheap and gave me about half of what he got for Christmas. Seeing as how Fantasy Flight cancelled the game a while back, some of what he wasn't able to pick up is hard to find. Anyone have a good place to search for these figs or know if your local store has some they're trying to offload?

I think miniaturemarket.com had a bunch of them, but they might be all gone now

PretendWizard
Sep 18, 2008
Does anyone know anything about the Warlord game by Reaper miniatures?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Xlorp posted:

That may be NWS, but don't miss the NMS Phalons from their Full Thrust starship range.

I used to make myself giggle by naming my custom race in MOO2 the Dildothans. Now I know what their spaceships would look like.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I don't know a drat thing about the Mechwarrior universe but I had alot of fun playing the old miniatures game with a roommate who was big into it.

We usually played vaguely D&D-esque campaigns where the game master set up scenarios and the players had an array of characters and mechs that we fielded with a points limit.

I usually took lots vehicles and VTOLs and had a blast. I think my favorite moment was ramming some mech's legs with a hover tank and watching it fall on its face :clint:

I remember there being several "tiers" of rules for how complex you wanted to make the game. A very fun system and I'm sad to see that its dying out.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
having an all in one thread while easier reading means that games that had their own threads for discussion are falling through the cracks.

what I'm saying is PV et al post some drat updates on your FSA ships :argh:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

rocket_Magnet posted:

having an all in one thread while easier reading means that games that had their own threads for discussion are falling through the cracks.

what I'm saying is PV et al post some drat updates on your FSA ships :argh:

My dindrenzi battleship will probably get finished soonish, Ive just been sort of swamped with commission poo poo/real life.

Im hoping to get a game in sometime soon too :3:

Reginald Garibaldi
May 1, 2004

Don't make me get all D&D!
Just got my Sorylian starter box and rulebook (at last) can't wait to assemble and paint those bad boys!

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

I will be playing my Sorylians vs. My friend's Aquans tonight (our first game since we bought them). Has anyone played enough to offer any advice as far as set up goes for these guys? I'm only using the starter set and 6 wings.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Reginald Garibaldi posted:

Just got my Sorylian starter box and rulebook (at last) can't wait to assemble and paint those bad boys!

Did you order it direct from Rebel Publishing? I'm still waiting for my order. They seem to be having... issues.
I'm promised it will eventually turn up, to their credit I have been offered a refund already. I'm not too upset about waiting a long time but it has been a month now. I just wanna support them, you know?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I don't know a drat thing about the Mechwarrior universe but I had alot of fun playing the old miniatures game with a roommate who was big into it.

We usually played vaguely D&D-esque campaigns where the game master set up scenarios and the players had an array of characters and mechs that we fielded with a points limit.

I usually took lots vehicles and VTOLs and had a blast. I think my favorite moment was ramming some mech's legs with a hover tank and watching it fall on its face :clint:

I remember there being several "tiers" of rules for how complex you wanted to make the game. A very fun system and I'm sad to see that its dying out.

Its doing better than it was a few years ago, at least.

Lotta people butthurt over the Jihad storyline, though. Though, most of these seem to be less because of the jihad itself, and more because it indirectly acknowledges Dark Ages' existence.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Furret Basket posted:

Did you order it direct from Rebel Publishing? I'm still waiting for my order. They seem to be having... issues.
I'm promised it will eventually turn up, to their credit I have been offered a refund already. I'm not too upset about waiting a long time but it has been a month now. I just wanna support them, you know?

Who is rebel publishing? Isnt it published by spartan?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

PaintVagrant posted:

Who is rebel publishing? Isnt it published by spartan?

Apparently, Spartan Games is a venture of Rebel Publishing, which is some sort of, uh, other company. I was confused (and frankly suspicious) at first, but if you go to Spartan Games, you'll notice that the 'Store' link actually connects to the Rebel domain. v:shobon:v

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Ah.

Ive got to be honest, as much as I love the FSA ships and rules, their company seems to have grossly misjudged the popularity their game was going to have.

Between them being out of stock a lot, and their casting quality being all over the place, I wonder if its just some duders working out of a garage or something.

Furret: I would call them, and if they cant guarantee you getting them within a week, just take the refund and order them somewhere else. Either way they are getting moeny, but its pretty inexcusable that ordering DIRECT is taking that long.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I agree with you that Spartan seems to be really struggling to keep on top of their own game. Honestly it looks like this other company (Rebel) just kind of decided to meander into the miniature market and didn't really have a good idea of what they needed. Possibly an understandable mistake, given that there are a ton of independent miniature companies that move very little product. But they hit on a good idea and had good reviews, and now they've been swamped with orders.

The quality is a big issue for me (and the main reason I haven't ordered ships yet). I am fine with a company saying, basically 'Holy poo poo this is more than we anticipated, we're going to be backlogged for X weeks'. But if thats the case then they need to be delivering the goods. Having people end up with boxes that are 50% miscasts or otherwise returned is pretty bad, and its going to sour some people to the game.

I hope they get it sorted out in short order, because they seem like a good company with some nice ideas and a lot of interest in engaging their fans. It would be a shame for them to go under essentially because they weren't prepared to do so well.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

The real issue seems to be the dindrenzi casts...My terran fleet was pretty well cast, for the most part. Definitely up to par for "smallish indie company resin models"

Hopefully they get it together, in the meantime Im glad I got 2 fleets of pewpew space ships already :whatup:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Sorry about the rebel publishing/spartan games thing, I keep getting e-mails from an @rebelpublishing.net account.

I'm not sure how well they're run either. I mean the first excuse they gave me was that the snow was slowing everything down. Well yeah the snow was pretty bad for the UK I guess, but I still got into work everyday and I have to rely on public transport.
Later they gave a little e-mail that had a remark about them losing staff. Okay that sucks, but how much experience do you need to cast a mould and chuck it into a box? Just walk into the Job Centre and offer someone minimum wage to do it. :drat:

... Who says stuff like that to a customer anyway?

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
drat it, Firestorm Armada looks awesome. I need to convince my friends to get into it. :gonk:

And I kind of wish Monsterpocalypse was in the OP... yeah it's my by Privateer Press, but gently caress if anyone seems to play it. :ohdear:

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Dre2Dee2 posted:

drat it, Firestorm Armada looks awesome. I need to convince my friends to get into it. :gonk:

And I kind of wish Monsterpocalypse was in the OP... yeah it's my by Privateer Press, but gently caress if anyone seems to play it. :ohdear:

MonPoc is awesome, but I'm so far behind on it.

They've used the same sort of dice system for Grind, and it's awesome too. But this should be in another thread.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

You guys can post about monpoc all you want here, just make sure I get a good OP writeup.

The PP thread is just warmahordes, with no monpoc stuff.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

OP style writeup. :cool:

MONSTERPOCALYPSE by Privateer Press

setting: Giant monsters attacking modern day cities!

size: 16 models

mechanics: This game originated the dice resource system that's in the Grind board game. You spend your limited amount of dice to move, perform attacks, use special powers, and smash the hell out of the city and your enemy. You earn Power Dice for blowing up buildings and killing stuff, which can be used to power up insanely powerful attacks like bodyslams and headbutts by your giant monster. Power dice can also be used to transform your monster into it's Hyper Form, a super powered death machine that will wreck havok on your opponent. :ssj:

Your force will consist of your giant monster and it's hyper form, 15 support units, and 2-12 buildings that you contribute to the fight.

models: Pre-painted plastic figures.

cost: A starter box is about 20 bucks, which is enough for 1 player. Booster packs are around 10.

pros:
Dice resource mechanic is very deep and strategic
Tons of abilities and powers
Prepainted figures that look awesome
GIANT MONSTERS
VOLTRON is coming out for this
4 sets currently out with a new set coming in a few months
12 unique factions
Famous landmarks
promo figures

cons:
Random distribution in booster packs
Ability symbols on figures are a fairly steep learning curve
You may have to do some catching up depending on what faction you play
Doesn't seem like too many people know about this game
Some promo figures might be hard to get

images

Official Site
https://www.monsterpocalypse.com

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation
Are those official pictures, or something you dug up? Cause they basically sum up everything that is awesome about the game.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just got em off the net. :)

Arlaharen
Aug 2, 2003

KISSIGA TESTIKLAR
Monpoc is awesome. The only reason I don't play it is because something feels wrong when I play a miniature game without having to assemble, fill gaps, prime, paint and base them v:shobon:v

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

But you'll never have to face up against poo poo conversions or the dreaded 'grey army'! :v:

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Arlaharen posted:

Monpoc is awesome. The only reason I don't play it is because something feels wrong when I play a miniature game without having to assemble, fill gaps, prime, paint and base them v:shobon:v

I was re-reading one of Jervis' 'standard bearer' columns the other day, it's the one that starts out going on about technology helping out in games, making them more accessible, speeding up parts of the game, etc. and how people have asked him if he thinks that embracing technology is the way forward for wargaming.. and the basic gist of it is that a lot of people get into the 'hobby' exactly because it requires a certain amount of hard work before you get anything back out of it. I'd hate to play a game with pre-painted, pre-assembled models. It would totally rob me of 95% of what I get out of the hobby in the first place.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

That cthulu thing owns

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

PaintVagrant posted:

That cthulu thing owns

My only bitch about the Lords of Cthul is that they are the kings of attrition warfare in monpoc. The last game I played against one of them took two hours, and we had to call the game. We agreed it was my win, it was just a matter of another hour or two.

Sacrifice: :suicide:

EDIT: I do believe I read somewhere that you are allowed to repaint your figs, but they have to follow some sort of logic. Elites HAVE to be set apart from standards, for example.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

That cthulu thing owns

Cthulu has it's own faction with 5 different giant cthulu monsters. :smug:

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Nice.

Added it to the OP. Ok, so here is a potentially sexist sounding question: Is MonPoc a good "girlfriend" game?

My girlfriend has discovered her love for boardgames and such since she started dating me and I subjected her to all sorts of absurdly nerdy poo poo.

We play catan, ticket to ride, risk, mTG, briefly played the pirates CMG, etc.

Is MonPoc really complex and difficult to pick up, average difficulty, or easy like the games I mention above?