Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks Swagger Dagger, game sounds interesting as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I really like what I'm seeing in Black Ops. Two questions though:
1)Does Two-Handed actually modify anything in CQC?
2)You need a Direct Hit to damage a vehicle with explosives. But would you put a Suppression marker on the crew if it was a Near Miss?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Those GI Joe dudes should work fine, especially if you run a stealth game and just need a lot of bodies on the table to act as guards. Personally me and the guy I play with are using this as a reason to break out some of our 40k models that have been collecting dust. I'm running Orks as Mercenaries and he's CSM as Special Forces.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Those are good questions on the Blinds. The writer posts in this thread as GuyB, I copy-pasted them and hopefully he'll reply soon. He starts answering stuff on page 7.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I thought they would be goofy pulp 1950's army men but yeah those Mantic ones look like a hell of a deal.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Just so we're clear, is everyone talking about Black Ops from Osprey or did another system come out?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
My kickstarter crap from MC Studio showed up!

Here it is filling a 3x3 board, with a solitary sad Ork for scale. I originally backed it for Infinity but I figure it'll do just as well with BLOPS and screw it Frostrgrave in a "wheee we got whisked away into the future" or something kind of way. Now I just have to find a way to paint all this stuff without an airbrush and in a way that will make me not want to :suicide:

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
This was my first time working with laser-cut cardboard and overall I’m very impressed. Trimming the sprues ate through blades and good god cleaning the dust left from the etching got old fast. But the kit was extremely well designed to balance aesthetics, durability and playability. You can tell it was crafted by a guy who really knows the game it was made for (Infinity), so much so that even the little buttresses at the corner of each building have just enough jutting out to allow cover to Silhouette 2 models standing behind them.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I'm on the edge of my seat...who's the other burger chain they're fighting?!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
BLOPS points: 50 will get you a decent sized group with some toys. 75 is a large scale / decked out game.

Keep in mind they recommend the defender get a bump (30% I think?) in points over the attacker in Stealth missions to simulate a force infiltrating an enemy position.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I got my copy of Horizon Wars yesterday. The rulebook is clearly written & nicely laid out. I'm looking forward to trying a game out this week using proxy counters and this has pushed me down the rabbit hole of 6mm scifi. As this is my first time outside of 28mm, I greatly appreciate that the author not only provided a list of 6 to 10mm manufacturers he also had an appendix listing the cited companies used in each photo in the book.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It's aesthetic. No hard rules, just a generic measure/move base to base guideline regardless of how big the bases are. Even the models used in the book are a mix of hex and whatever size a 2 pence piece is.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

krushgroove posted:

Yeah it's pretty cool, the suggestion is simply 'use whatever base size you want' so it's nicely agnostic about model lines. I'm looking at various 6mm ranges and trying not to just rush out and drop 20-30 quid on a starter army. I'm wavering between 6mm and 10mm because I have a bunch of GHQ cold war tank & infantry models as well as some Epic & European style scenery, but we also play a bit of Dropzone Commander so I have a bunch of the Hawk card buildings and city tiles.

Can you post some scales on the GHQ models? I really like the modern stuff but finding dimensions for them is difficult, especially the infantry.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Ohh poo poo my GHQ armor and E4M mechs & aircraft came in. Getting hyped to play Horizon Wars using models instead of counters this weekend.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Seriously, I'm on a Horizon Wars tear because it's so goddamn cheap.
pre:
HW Rulebook		$15.00 
E4M Mechs		$3.75
E4M Aircraft		$3.75 
GHQ Tanks		$10.00 
GHQ IFVs		$10.00 
CinC Infantry		$8.00 
x40 32mm Bases		$12.00 
Total Spent		$47.50
But that got me...

1 Heavy Mech
2 Med Mech
2 Light Mech
7 Aircraft
3 Hover Heavy Cav
2 Hover Light Cav
5 Heavy Cav
3 Light Cav
2 Mob Infantry
5 Light Infantry
2 SF
2 Recon
2 Light Arty

In other words enough for three armies plus I also pilfered a board game for some free Heavy Infantry. Another bonus is they're so small they paint up really quickly, which was nice since this is my first foray into a scale other than 28mm.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Ehhhh it depends on the forces you field. If you take a lot of P3's and especially if the bulk of your forces is Mechs then it should play in about an hour. If you take a lot of smaller presence units and bust out with the upgrades & commander resources then it will make the game longer. I'd also recommended leaving aircraft out until you get a grasp of the basics, it's just one more thing to bog down the learning experience and frankly I'm still trying to figure out the Scenario / Adventure system so I'd start off with a few straightforward fights before wading into that.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

LewdMonocle posted:

Dude sure likes to make rulesets. Can anyone recommend any of them?

I finally picked up LaserStorm, his take on 6mm scifi (re:Epic 40k). I like what I see, it seems way less fiddly than Epic and has unit creation rules that are flexible enough to cram just about any setting's unit into them. Friend of mine is even wanting to draft up some cold war units using the system to see if it could be a quick-play Team Yankee alternative.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

LewdMonocle posted:

OK, you convinced me. Bought FiveCore, skimmed thro so far looks neat. But how do you build a team? I see the random force table but no points system. How many quatloos is a goon with a rifle vs a machine gun?

Tell me more about LasrerStorm can I take dinosaurs with lasers? I've been looking for an excuse to pick these guys up: https://www.microworldgames.com/collections/6mm-scifi/Lizardriders

Don't know about FiveCore, sorry. But hell yeah you could have dinoriders in LaserStorm. It comes with a list of premade generic units, but there's two ways to make your own: Assembly Line and Workshop. Assembly Line is pretty basic, pick a class (infantry, tank, skimmer, walker, etc) and purchase gear from couple dozen already created weapons. The Workshop is when you get in depth, able to add stats and traits to units and customize weapons. So that awesome Tyrannosaurus could easily be statted up as a close combat monster with a huge laser cannon and flame breath if you wanted.

Some takeaways after test games this weekend:
- The force org system he recommends is a train wreck and sort of the opposite of the keep it simple mindset the book is going for, but could easily be ignored. We did for our second game.
- Morale is interesting. Rather than falling back if you fail a morale check the unit goes off table into reserve. They come on from your table edge next turn if they rally, or a commander unit can recall them closer to the front within a certain proximity of it's stand. It's novel, but in bigger games can mean a lot of moving on and off table of units, especially if you are a low quality horde army. The author does say if you don't want to do this just have the failed unit make a double time move towards their table edge instead.
- The ranges are really big, some vehicles will be moving 24+" if they double time it, and weapons can reach up to 40". We fixed this by just using CM, but your mileage may vary if you have a huge gaming space. I don't.

Overall I really liked it, more so than I remember my last E:40k game and way more than the rather bland-feeling Future War Commander.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Here's a plastic one for $13, they do have an actual ballista that's bigger but almost twice the price. Warlord occasionally does sprue sales as well so you might be able to nab it cheaper some time.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Do they have mid mission events from a deck of cards like in TNT? I swear my wife liked those more than playing the actual game sometimes.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Not sure what scale you're looking for but GZG has a 15mm range.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Interesting system but jesus, how many types of proprietary dice are in that game? Five?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
The complaints about damage have been around since Frostgrave (which the game is based on) and they are valid. The problems Ohthehugemanatee brought up weren't issues for me because I was already doing paper minis and on the whole a sort of lo-fi terrain look as well. The game spaces are pretty small, usually a 2x2 or at most 3x3 table. My wife and I can set it up, play a scenario, and pack it away in under two hours and it's the perfect fit for a Sunday afternoon game. I look at what Gloomhaven takes just to set up and get a headache. I'm sure it's more rewarding and deep, but for something quick, cheap, and easy to pick up Rangers was a great fit.

As an example here's my table for Mission 2-1.

The book specified the river, bridge, ford, campsite and as much woods / scatter terrain as you could cram on the other side. You'd also need 15+ enemy models of various types depending on the event cards you pulled in addition to your PC minis. If you were trying to actually model all of that I could see it being a pain in the rear end.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I liked Osprey's Black Ops, which can be done in as 1v1 or players vs AI driven grunts. This is more ultra-modern than sci-fi, though it has some tacked on near future stuff at the end so you can pretend to be Solid Snake.

Don't forget Nordic Weasel's games, of which there are a lot to look through, but read the descriptions because they can range from small scale skirmish to mass battles.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
One Page Rules is a great system of games, it made my group dust off our 40k models for the first time in years. It's fast, simple but still able to retain the 'essence' of the armies, and best of all well supported so the power creep or bullshit gimmicks are limited and quickly corrected. I haven't seen what the expanded patreon rulebook is like as that seems kind of contrary to the keep it simple ethos of the rules so if anyone can comment I'd be interested.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Osprey games are a real crapshoot because every one is done by a different author covering wildly different periods, genres and game scales. Some are good (in my opinion) like the Rampant series, Frostgrave, Gaslands, and Horizon Wars. Most are just kind of eh. The Oathmark demo video they did for wargames illustrated didn't exactly knock my socks off.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
It's aged about as well as the effects on the actual show.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
With the quarantine on my wife and I have been playing co-op Rangers of Shadow Deep. I was looking for something similar with a sci-fi feel, does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking at a few of the Nordic Weasel games (Renegade Scout, Clash at the Fringe) or the 5150 games, but these seem pvp not co-op.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks for the input. I've played lots of Grimdark Future, I'll have to check out the AI system.

Coincidentally the Bundle of Holding this month includes a bunch of Nordic Weasel games so I went ahead and grabbed it.

I've heard good thing about the 5150 guy's WW2 game Nuts! but yeah I downloaded the Chain Reaction freebie and it was very old school in it's presentation, and I usually play historicals so I'm used to dude typing his rules in MS Word and zipping it off to wargamevault.com but even this one was rough to look at.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I also think it's telling that they dropped that turnover mechanic in TMWWBK and Rebels & Patriots. Can't remember if it's in Pikeman's Lament.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
There's also Osprey's Fistful of Kung Fu, which is aimed specifically at that pulpy gently caress it throw a cyborg into a fight against ninja time travelers concept. It's got martial arts pastiche but just switch "chi" with "magic/cyber" or whatever and it's fine. Making units is just buying a stat line and picking abilities from a menu list to fit what you're trying to build.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I've only ever used the Drum & Shako version of that set, but yeah it's similar. Same "X Success / Fails" activation mechanic and opposed combat rolls.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I agree with this assessment. I got these as part of a humble bundle, and we tried 5 Leagues (which is essentially the fantasy version of 5 Parsecs) as a trial as we burned through our RoSD material and were pretty underwhelmed. It's got a nice 'downtime' system and I like the encounter creator but the actual gameplay is completely forgettable.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
This might be a niche angle but any other material for the Hammer series coming out? I'm a big fan of Hammer of Democracy and homebrewed some stats for Japan. A cold war version would be cool, similar to SDttRR and much faster playing than TY.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Honestly the tables are the best part of Rogue Stars.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Southern Heel posted:

OK so I know this is a little preemptive as my buddy has said he wants to go with 6mm Epic 40k, but I figure I may as well establish what's going on re: Battletech. It's been around for ages, I've played the videogames and I'm going to try out the boardgame with 'A Game of Armoured Combat' but I have a couple of questions:

1) In the sourcebooks, if I remember correctly. Usually divided by eras, but you can also find some online if you look around.
2) I think Catalyst is doing a great job with the IP, if you're interested now is a good time to jump in as the boxed set is a good starter.
3) A quick play, simplified version of Battletech. Much more similarly to a traditional tabletop wargame: no box-ticking, but loses a lot of the granularity in the weapons and gear people expect from BT. Can be played hexless, and there are converters online that can give you the Alpha Strike stats of a lot of the units in the classic game. I don't think it's better or worse; just a different way to use your toys.
4) See no. 3, but there are also a few houserule and options that play hexless.
5) There are tons of additional material for this game over the 30+ years it been around. The good news is old stuff is 90% useful with the modern game, unlike GW or similar style 'kill it and start over every 8 years.' Bad news is it's a lot of back catalogue to sort through if you're new and starting out.

There's a Battletech thread here. I'd ask them for more help if you want to go deeper down the hole.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I don't really care about Mork Borg but that website let me know the new Mothership module was released so thanks for that!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I like LaserStorm. Here's what I said about it a while back.

Springfield Fatts posted:

It comes with a list of premade generic units, but there's two ways to make your own: Assembly Line and Workshop. Assembly Line is pretty basic, pick a class (infantry, tank, skimmer, walker, etc) and purchase gear from couple dozen already created weapons. The Workshop is when you get in depth, able to add stats and traits to units and customize weapons. So that awesome Tyrannosaurus could easily be statted up as a close combat monster with a huge laser cannon and flame breath if you wanted.

Some takeaways after test games this weekend:
- The force org system he recommends is a train wreck and sort of the opposite of the keep it simple mindset the book is going for, but could easily be ignored. We did for our second game.
- Morale is interesting. Rather than falling back if you fail a morale check the unit goes off table into reserve. They come on from your table edge next turn if they rally, or a commander unit can recall them closer to the front within a certain proximity of it's stand. It's novel, but in bigger games can mean a lot of moving on and off table of units, especially if you are a low quality horde army. The author does say if you don't want to do this just have the failed unit make a double time move towards their table edge instead.
- The ranges are really big, some vehicles will be moving 24+" if they double time it, and weapons can reach up to 40". We fixed this by just using CM, but your mileage may vary if you have a huge gaming space. I don't.

Overall I really liked it, more so than I remember my last E:40k game and way more than the rather bland-feeling Future War Commander.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
If you wanna have a go famed historical illustrator Peter Dennis has a book to give you all you need, including those wacky rubber band cannons and some Tripods for war of the worlds. Actually man just pick up one of his books from any period, I started off using these as a way to make cheap mobile armies for ancients but just like looking at all the ingenious ways he manages to cram poo poo into those books to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Yeah I made it ten minutes in and they were still bitching about the intro to the book. I get it, you don't like it. Not spending 90 minutes on that.