Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

My SD's got the same problem with play in the rear axle. Discussed it with the dealer/service guy, he told me that most of the bikes they've sold have it. It can't be fixed by replacing the relevant bits, as it's just going to reappear after a short while.

However, he was of the opinion that since KTM already knows about it and hasn't issued a service notice or recall it shouldn't be a safety problem (ie. the rear's not going to seize up on you). Expect a service notice for new rear bearings at some point. He certainly didn't counsel leaving it in the shop to rot...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

Slavvy posted:

Is it noticeable when you ride the bike? I'm having difficulty picturing which direction the play is in. Does the wheel just move back and forth along the axis of the 'axle'? By how much?

If I grab the top of the rear tire with one hand and the left passenger footpeg with the other, I can move the top of the tire by maybe 1-2mm. Less when it's been parked overnight.

I don't notice it when riding, but that doesn't mean much.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

It's black, same as yours - no mods as such, but I've been working my way through the Powerparts and Racefoxx catalogs bit by bit. So far I've the seatcowl, sidebags, tail tidy, clutch cover, levers, new reservoir caps etc. Got today the newest addition, a set of white glossy plastics, waiting for the corresponding sticker set before fitting. No photos unfortunately right now.

About 6500km on the odo, including eight or so trackdays - I ride in the medium (middle) group so not really pushing the bike anywhere near its limits. Stupid fun nevertheless.

What I've been most surprised about is how drat versatile it is - sharp on the track, comfy on the road, commuting is painless too.

If anybody is on the fence, get down and buy one.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

That's good news I guess, and pretty much in line with what I was told. Now you just need to go ride the pants off it!

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

It makes the rear wheel easier to clean. It could also offset the weight of the exhaust on the other side, allowing for a lower total weight.

Many bikes forfeit that aspect and route the pipes under the seat to properly show off the SSA though.

Even so it's mostly about the coolness factor.

• Locked thread