Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
You just love the letter Z don't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Cabledude posted:

Just curious here... as a CA Resident I'm interested in the process of legalizing a dirt bike for street use. Besides the obvious additions of lights and signals what else is there?

Step 1: Move to a state that still allows you to road legalize dirtbikes.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Yes, I can confirm it will run like crap if that hose comes undone. Your getting may be a little rich at high speeds/throttle openings. But the po probably didn't rejet for the aftermarket pipe, and it will work itself out nicely.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

:allears:

Well, it's her bike, and she was pretty much the most responsible rider ever, so...I'm not too concerned. I will be concerned when I starting building mine though. :sigh:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Z3n, plz make a CF statue of yourself doing exactly your avatar and plaque it with 'Best Ever' for me would you. :respek:

This composite stuff sounds like fun. Hey I'm going to borrow the clutch cover from your streetfighter and make a carbon one. (Already started) Better to ask forgivness than permission, as I always say.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Dubs posted:

Fabio beat you too it -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VSkY0MfOqk

that dude is nuts.

The first bike he shows off is a Husky 450 supermoto, he's up an R on me though.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Nerobro posted:

I was acutally thinking about how I could manage this the other day in the car. I was thinking about how to make a bicycle derailer system work for a "real" vehicle. I think I figured it out to............

It's all been done before.

(or is that an early kickstarter?)

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

ReelBigLizard posted:

Another way to do it would be to build an epicyclic hub into the rear wheel with a 1.1:1 ratio, with a 42 tooth sprocket it would be like a lever actuated 46 tooth. It would just look like you had both hub braking and disc :hydrogen::hf::what:

My thoughts on this were..
What the hell is an epicyclic hub? Why not just use a planetary gear set in the rear wheel? Better google epicyclic and see what it... oh.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
DRZ shortcoming number one, handled.
Now where's that RMZ front end?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point that I'll keep a sumo for street use, and it's back to supersports for me for track use. The idea of racing sumo is cool, but I think I'd need a lot more dirt experience to be halfway decent at it. At the end of this race season I'll either try and find a crashed streetbike or an ex-race bike to use for trackdays and racing.

We'll see how you feel after flogging 40.9whp for fury around the track for a few laps.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Dazzle camouflage is the way to go. http://www.risd.edu/dazzle/

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Not an artist's impression.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

For the low low sum of 40$, I got this wonderful weld:

I pay for small welding jobs in beer, but you shouldn't let him drink it before he does the work.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

What, like I ever made it out of the house before? :v:

Anyways, engine should be showing up today, hopefully it didn't get trashed in shipping, and I discovered that some of the parts I had disappeared in the mail. This is the first time USPS has failed me in this regard...I got all the insurance info back, the addresses, and the delivery confirmation, but nothing else. :sigh:

At least I can collect the insurance money after they've made a "thorough search" for things. :sigh: Already refunded the guy's cash, and he was cool about it, but it still sucks.

If you got delivery confirmation it was probably delivered and stole off his front porch. Or he's scamming you. Either way, good thing it was insured.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I don't see any either.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

ReelBigLizard posted:

I might be hitting the states next October as part of a larger round-the-world trip. I'm probably going to hit the west coast first (I'll be coming in from Hong Kong, maybe NZ). Would you be up for sourcing me a decent mid weight bike and helping me service/prep it for a bit of touring?

Decent mid weight bike? You need a chopper to truly experience the land of the free.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

There's no reason the 999 engine wouldn't go the distance with proper care.

I wouldn't be surprised if you need to hone and re-ring it before you hit 100k.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

presidentnixon posted:

Can't or won't?

Can't, because he doesn't have a Chinese character pack installed.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

Oh and the cat's out of the bag, here's spiff's new toy.

Not bad for under 3k. 749S with track plastics, an extra set of stock plastics (on the bike now, 999R branded), rear stand, ohlins shock, custom offset triples, rearsets, clipons, ducati performance slip on, racing ECU, aftermarket brembo master cylinder, extra tank, a bunch of CF on it, and some other odds and ends.

Rides nice. Taking it out for a quick spin down the local roads tomorrow after I put some fresh tires on it.

That thing is so pretty, I can't wait to accidentally tip a dirt bike onto it in the garage.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

My wrists may have recovered from riding the duc by monday. Maybe. Fuckin' a that bike.
Luckily, Spiffness is 130lb 5'6" Italian.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I like the huge cutout for the oil fill. That's clearly the best solution to the problem.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Bike swap! I'm going to be the new owner of the 999, and the track 675. In trade, Z3n is taking my 690SMC and RS125. And suddenly I'm a guy who owns three sport bikes, only one of them street legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Bunway Airlines posted:

if I don't like the 690

I wouldn't worry about that too much.

I've never crashed a Ducati I owned, so no problem there. Spiffness and I are going to be same* bike buddies again.

*almost

Zool fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 19, 2013

• Locked thread