Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Phat_Albert posted:

http://www.whaccessories.com/Suzuki%20Bandit.htm Halfway down under Radiator/Engine covers. I was wrong, its $200, not $300, still too much IMO.

this... is stupidly simple stuff to do. Like.. $4-5hrs of time to make them the first time, and half an hour for each one afterwords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Z3n posted:

Well, don't forget that it's 100$ for the pair, plus you've got the cost of the CF, and your mold and shipping. And that you've got both application time and cure time with each one. And I have my doubts about being able to do it in 30 minutes, considering everything. 30 minutes of total work to lay the piece? Sure, but don't forget that you also need to sand it, polish it, and that the 30 minutes of work is going to be spread out over a couple of hours of wait time for the stuff to resin properly set up and get tacky.

Thats $100 a pair. Lets say it takes you six hours to make a mold of the stock chrome covers. (which already have a perfect surface finish to print a mold from) That's a "one time cost."

The beauty of a mold like that, is the only work necessary to produce good parts from setup like that is to put the carbon, resin, and vacuum bag it. The smooth pretty surface comes from the mold itself, so there's no sanding, polishing, or any work afterwords other than just trimming the excess carbon off. If you're doing just a pretty layup like that, all you need to do is take scissors to it.

if you had a rough mold to work from, yes you'd be talking hours of sanding, painting, and waxing to make a good mold to pull from.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Neither. Well the frame is later than slabside. I"m guessing early-mid 90's. But it's a EX500 motor in a GSXR frame.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Ola posted:

Nerobro needs a real challenge for his CNC mill.

I was acutally thinking about how I could manage this the other day in the car. I was thinking about how to make a bicycle derailer system work for a "real" vehicle. I think I figured it out to............

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I wouldn't say insane. you've got 1-3thou to work with for shaft alignments. Gear thicknesses and dog depths are a different story, but likely in the same arena. The real bugger would be milling the shift drum...

• Locked thread