Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Gnomad posted:

It was a 2000. Sold it to the second guy who looked at it. The first guy had said yes, but then decided he really wanted an RT.

The guy who bought it was a returning rider. He showed up to pick up the bike with a BMX helmet...I found him a helmet to use until he got himself a real one. From what I've heard, he's darn near living on the bike.

Excellent. Those ABS 1 1150s are a pretty fine machine. Glad to hear the fella is making good use of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
My local craigslist has recently (as in, since the very day I sold my bike) had a flood of extremely tempting cheap bikes. None moreso than:

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/mcy/1684735645.html

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/1684318857.html

If anyone is looking for a solid beginner bike.

DARK BLUE KAWASAKI NINJA 5OOR WITH 4,900 MILES. GREAT FOR BEGINNER OR NOVICE. LIGHTLY USED, GARAGED, CLEAN TITLE. HAS EXTENDED WIND SHIELD. IF BEGINNING RIDER HAVE JACKET AND HELMET (MEDIUM) THAT CAN BE INCLUDED IN PURCHASE PRICE. CALL 408 847-2985.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/1684017382.html

Or this GS500 seems like a really good deal too for an 07.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Oh god it's back...with a new low price! Leave me alone!

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
In the Boston area:

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/1690534948.html

For sale is a 1980 Kawasaki LTD 750. This bike runs and rides fine. I rode it all last year. It has a leaky tachometer cable and the speedometer has stopped working. Last year I put in a new starter, a new battery, and a new rear tire. Price is $500 firm.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Someone buy this!

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god...$100. What would I bet getting myself into here?

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1692695031.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For $100 it was probably gone the second it was posted.

EDIT: If you think you want it, call NOW, because it will go fast at that price. Its a Honda, so it should run no matter what, but if worst comes to worst, you can resell it for more than $100, even in non-running condition.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I shot him an email, so who knows.

I also called the MVA quick and they said that without a title it's a cluster gently caress, and that he legally couldn't sell it in this state...is this true? Anyone ever had to deal with re-titling something this old, with a title that's probably been lost for years?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Plinkey posted:

I shot him an email, so who knows.

I also called the MVA quick and they said that without a title it's a cluster gently caress, and that he legally couldn't sell it in this state...is this true? Anyone ever had to deal with re-titling something this old, with a title that's probably been lost for years?

Yes, I went round and round with the WI DMV to get my RV-90 titled, and it wasnt happening, so I coughed up $100 to ITS Titles, and I had my title in hand in like 2 weeks.

The DMV intentionally makes it hard/impossible to register a bike that you dont have a title for, because it helps stifle stolen bike registration. If you're serious, ITS is the way to go.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
How does ITS get around all of that then?

Kinda off topic, but just curious.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Plinkey posted:

How does ITS get around all of that then?

Kinda off topic, but just curious.

I think they use some loophole in some state that allows you to register "abandoned" bikes. It depends on the age of your vehicle. For my 1972 RV90, they registered it in their name in Alabama, then "sold" it to me. I showed up at the DMV with a legit Alabama title, and all the relevant paperwork that made it look like I bought a bike from down there, and they registered it, no questions asked, since it was legally registered with the AL DMV.

My 1977 CB750, wound up being registered in my name in Maine. The Maine DMV sent me a Maine title, and plates. Basically I could ride around with the Maine plates and title and keep re-registering them every two years like any bike in Maine, or I could go to the WI DMV and transfer the title, as if I had moved here from Maine.

I think it depends on what option is cheaper at the time, and the age of the bike, as well as displacement. I think the Alabama trick only works for bikes less than 250cc or something.

Either way, they're just using the different rules in different states to their advantage. I've looked into it, and its completely legit, and you could do it yourself with enough time and research, but by the time you figured it out, and got all the legal mumbo jumbo in order, you would have spent more in your own time than it would have cost you to have ITS do it.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 15, 2010

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Welp, thanks for the tips. There is no chance that I'll get it. He just sent out an email to 30ish people basically saying
"My inbox has been flooded, and some people have offered me over the asking price. Send you best bid by 1pm and I'll email/call the top of the list down. They have 20 minutes from the time I call to show up cash in hand, today".

So no way that I'll be able to do that because of that whole work thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, $100 for that bike is way too low, even in not running form.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Plinkey posted:

Welp, thanks for the tips. There is no chance that I'll get it. He just sent out an email to 30ish people basically saying
"My inbox has been flooded, and some people have offered me over the asking price. Send you best bid by 1pm and I'll email/call the top of the list down. They have 20 minutes from the time I call to show up cash in hand, today".

So no way that I'll be able to do that because of that whole work thing.

Probably for the best to avoid vehicles without titles anyway.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/1691899516.html

Probably the most :downs: ad I've ever seen.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/1689239989.html

2007 DRZ 400SM, 6k miles, $3993 OBO.

I'm to believe that this is a good deal, yes? Had I the money to get it I likely would. Thankfully (?) I don't.

Edit: http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1664692862.html

Closer and cheaper. And more yellow.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Korwen posted:

Edit: http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1664692862.html

Closer and cheaper. And more yellow.

Don't tempt me, I'm in Austin and searching for a first bike and told myself it's the mature thing to get something less hooligan than a DRZ SM!

However, most of where I go is urban, where these things do great.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Gnaghi posted:

Oh god it's back...with a new low price! Leave me alone!

You know you can get a 10 year younger RD350 LCII YPVS with a stiffer frame, water cooled, power valves (adjusting exhaust valve), 60Hp instead of 38Hp, less weight, double dish front and one at the rear instead of that silly drum, monoshock swingarm and aluminum wheels, real bronze swingarm bushings, conical fork bearings, push back gear mechanism, alu everywhere, air supported fork and all that poo poo - for the price asked for this?

Also spare parts will be a fraction of the price of spares for this.

Yes, I own both (as well as an RD500 YPVS and a heavily tuned GT750 - I admit, I'm a two smoker and a six roller)

Look for an '82-'84 YPVS instead.

Edit: There's a Brazillian (48 Hp if I remember correctly) version of the '83-84 ('82?)YPVS 350 you should avoid too. It's 3/4 fairing and marked RD350R with a large "R" on the snow plow. They will always be red and white.

Anyway. For two strokes feel free to ask. An air cooled RD350 at that price is just not worth it unless you run a museum.

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 15, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Phat_Albert posted:

I think they use some loophole in some state that allows you to register "abandoned" bikes. It depends on the age of your vehicle. For my 1972 RV90, they registered it in their name in Alabama, then "sold" it to me. I showed up at the DMV with a legit Alabama title, and all the relevant paperwork that made it look like I bought a bike from down there, and they registered it, no questions asked, since it was legally registered with the AL DMV.

It figures it would be here in Alabama that they do that. All you need is a bill of sale/proof of ownership and $10 to get a new title. You don't even need a title to register something 10 years old or older. Once you have your registration, that counts as proof of ownership so you can get your $10 title. :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Blaster of Justice posted:

You know you can get a 10 year younger RD350 LCII YPVS with a stiffer frame, water cooled, power valves (adjusting exhaust valve), 60Hp instead of 38Hp, less weight, double dish front and one at the rear instead of that silly drum, monoshock swingarm and aluminum wheels, real bronze swingarm bushings, conical fork bearings, push back gear mechanism, alu everywhere, air supported fork and all that poo poo - for the price asked for this?

Also spare parts will be a fraction of the price of spares for this.

Yes, I own both (as well as an RD500 YPVS and a heavily tuned GT750 - I admit, I'm a two smoker and a six roller)

Look for an '82-'84 YPVS instead.

Edit: There's a Brazillian (48 Hp if I remember correctly) version of the '83-84 ('82?)YPVS 350 you should avoid too. It's 3/4 fairing and marked RD350R with a large "R" on the snow plow. They will always be red and white.

Anyway. For two strokes feel free to ask. An air cooled RD350 at that price is just not worth it unless you run a museum.

No, you cant get all that, at that price, not in the US at least. The LC RD350's are rare as hell here (any that you do find will be gray market Canadian imports), and will go for waaaaaay more than $1400 when you do find one. I sold a non-original RD350 with a rattle can paint job and no rear brake for $1200 last summer.

An AC RD350 in good shape in the US for $1400 is a good deal. They really are all we have. The only more modern option is an RZ-350 or an RG.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 15, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Phat_Albert posted:

No, you cant get all that, at that price, not in the US at least. The LC RD350's are rare as hell here, and will go for waaaaaay more than $1400 when you do find one. I sold a non-original RD350 with a rattle can paint job and no rear brake for $1200 last summer.

An AC RD350 in good shape in the US for $1400 is a good deal.

Holy gently caress. Please let me export a shitload of ACs then - and LCIIs. Guess you all smashed your LC YPVSs then. We did that in Europe too, but we learned. The YPVS, small as it seems, is a grown mans bike. We have loads of them here. Almost 90% of experienced riders in EU will survive their first meet with a (non TZ) RD350. 30% will get scared, and those bikes are for sale cheaply.

The TZ350 however...

Also, I live in northern Europe. We have a tax of 200% (yes, really!) on anything automotive. That keeps up sales prices for vintage bikes too. But $1400 for an AC 350 would be kind of ridiculous even here.

(I can get the tax back of the estimated value, if I export, though)

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 15, 2010

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Would a guy with shiny teeth, a crown and a red cape lie to you?
Help! I'm a Christian student drowning in debt, please buy my 2008, 6000 miles R6 for what I owe to the bank: $12,000. God bless.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mcy/1693755730.html

Click here for the full 930x599 image.

Lord Master fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 15, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Wow. I mean...goddamn, how did he pay interest only and yet still let it get up to 12000$? Jesus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Wow. I mean...goddamn, how did he pay interest only and yet still let it get up to 12000$? Jesus.
Poor negotiation + dealer fees + taxes + service plan = $12k principal

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Endless Mike posted:

You forgot: lies.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Someone offer 6k...or trade for a quad and charity work.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Still, 2.5k over MSRP. Goddamn.

I could give him a tattoo of our lord and savior!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

The Lord helps those ... who aren't gullible as gently caress.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

Weinertron posted:

Don't tempt me, I'm in Austin and searching for a first bike and told myself it's the mature thing to get something less hooligan than a DRZ SM!

However, most of where I go is urban, where these things do great.

I am also tempted, but that would cut into the track bike fund. I didn't understand how much like delicious crack motorcycles could be.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

Yamaha credit was offering a sweet deal. Any bike for $69 a month for the first 2 years. 22.9% interest. Small disclaimer 'paying the minimum will not reduce the principal" no kidding! I ran the numbers on an FZ6 and at the end of those 2 years I'd owe close to a grand more than the original cost. That $69 a month wouldn't cover the interest on an R6.

He's going to school, and the $12K is tuition for a crash course in finance. I don't believe he will pass this class.

Gnomad fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 16, 2010

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

I think I may have found my true dual sport love.

Lord Master
Mar 9, 2007

Would a guy with shiny teeth, a crown and a red cape lie to you?

Gnomad posted:

Yamaha credit was offering a sweet deal. Any bike for $69 a month for the first 2 years. 22.9% interest. Small disclaimer 'paying the minimum will not reduce the principal" no kidding! I ran the numbers on an FZ6 and at the end of those 2 years I'd owe close to a grand more than the original cost. That $69 a month wouldn't cover the interest on an R6.

He's going to school, and the $12K is tuition for a crash course in finance. I don't believe he will pass this class.

That's brutal.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This seems like it would be interesting to throw money at get working. Is it worth it to drive down there?

http://medford.craigslist.org/mcy/1693748218.html

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 16, 2010

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I bought one of those bikes in the late 70's for $25. In better shape.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Gnomad posted:

I think I may have found my true dual sport love.

ATK 605 is a beaut of a bike, but it's crippled by the tiny tank.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

Christ don't people think about this stuff before making a big purchase? I mean don't they do their own math in their heads? If he was using that R6 as a primary means of transport/commute i'd understand but people financing bikes and then hardly riding them then trying to recoup the money they still owe makes me a little sad. Especially since they're reselling the bike for more than it's worth in this current market heh.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gnomad posted:

I bought one of those bikes in the late 70's for $25. In better shape.

50 years of inflation comes to about $87. So maybe that would put the two at $150 total? I'd say $200 maybe, as you surely got a hell of a deal on the bike in 1977 or whenever.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

infraboy posted:

Christ don't people think about this stuff before making a big purchase? I mean don't they do their own math in their heads? If he was using that R6 as a primary means of transport/commute i'd understand but people financing bikes and then hardly riding them then trying to recoup the money they still owe makes me a little sad. Especially since they're reselling the bike for more than it's worth in this current market heh.

Considering our entire financial crisis is based on the fact that people bought huge loving houses on adjustable rate loans that quadrupled their monthly payments (and often these increases are outlined in the documentation) no, people don't give a poo poo.

"Alright bottom line what will I be paying per month right now" seems to be the American Way.

(I bought a house a few years ago and they briefly tried to sell me on an adjustable rate mortgage. The documentation went something like: Okay your monthly payments at the rate you got would be $900. The best case for an adjustment would have you paying... $1500 per month. The worst case for an adjustment puts you at around... $4000 a month. Yeah, no thanks, I'll take the $900 a month. )

So yeah, dude was probably like "holy poo poo $65 per month [or whatever], I can afford that!!!" without looking at the bigger picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Kawasaki had (or still has) a $50/month credit card that lasts a year or two. An acquaintance of mine was pissed when, a year or two later, he still owed the entire MSRP+fees+service plan. He didn't realize this until he was trying to sell the bike for some extra cash, only to realize selling it would actually cost him considerably.