Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

hayden. posted:

I once sold a bike that was literally only damaged by dropping it in my drive way once, and once in a parking lot. Both times I wasn't actually moving when it fell. So there.

I did this once :( trying to tiptoe it backwards down tapered driveway and living on a pretty steep hill.... from now on I just turn it around just outside the garage and actually drive it forwards out of the driveway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I had some wobbly moments when I had the VFR, backing it out of the shed in the morning still half-asleep. The Ninja is so much easier, and 10 years lifting weights really comes in handy.

Is this the fabled Metropolis?

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/1708280113.html

Click here for the full 1247x569 image.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Weinertron posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1707869987.html

So.... would an 80's touring bike be terribly irresponsible for a first bike? Shouldn't be as twitchy as a sportbike, and I'm not seeing any reasons why it should be prohibitively expensive to own. Would an 80s shaft drive cause weird handling issues?

Concourses are fast bikes. Not a good idea.

Just like you shouldn't generalize by CC, you shouldn't generalize by class, either. There are some really fast touring bikes out there. My cruiser has 100hp for instance, and I would never recommend it for a beginner.

Shaft bikes are fine. The only time you'll notice the difference is if you really goose it and you feel the judder. It's hard to explain if you've never felt it before, but it almost feels like the rear tire is breaking away, but it's not. It just feels weird and might make you overthink the sensation until you get used to it, but that's about all.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sklnd posted:

Also, enjoy picking up a 600+ lb bike when you drop it. Because you will drop it.

And then you will lie about it on Craigslist.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Weinertron posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1707869987.html
So.... would an 80's touring bike be terribly irresponsible for a first bike?

Connies are great bikes, but it may not be the best choice.

I just started riding street last August on a 1980 Suzuki 850 that I found on Craigslist for $600. I then bought a sport tourer in November after logging 1500 miles on the Suzuki. If you have no other riding experience whatsoever (I can't remember if you've ridden previously, sorry!) the Concours is a bit too much for a total beginner. I had some dirt and scooter riding experience as a teen, and I would still say that getting a 1300cc touring bike was a somewhat risky purchase for someone with my level of experience.

They are very smooth and comfortable to ride, but they are heavy and fast. This can be bad because the bike rides so smoothly that you may have a hard time realizing just how fast you are running, and are more apt to get in over your head. Don't be fooled by the "touring" model designation, these bikes will haul rear end and most have no problem hitting 100+ in under 15 seconds.

Most sport tourers carry a lot of the weight up top too, making slow speed maneuvers somewhat challenging for a new rider. I've dropped my 1300 twice, both times at super slow speeds, and both times the biggest contributing factors were the size and weight of the bike, and my lack of skill. Take it from me, picking up a 700lb bike is a pain in the rear end back.

If you're OK with the fact that you'll be picking it up a few times, have some previous riding experience beyond the MSF, and are confident in your ability to not act like a hooligan on it, you might be ok on it. If you're brand new to riding, you might not be ok on it.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Gnomad posted:

I've mentioned this before, but it's timely-the wind blew a bike over in my driveway and the insurance company totaled it. So it can happen. I managed to drop a bike one time against a car and pinned myself quite nicely, driveway drops happen.

I left mine in the driveway for a fairly hot week and the sidestand burrowed into the pavement, causing the bike to slowly lean against the garage. If it hadn't been there, it would've just fallen over of its own accord.

Granted, I've actually dropped it legit a bunch of times too, so whatever.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Concourses are just 4x sized Ninja 250s.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/mcy/1712589434.html

Ninja ZX-7 with 9R Motor, flatslides. - $2800
"Looks awsome but the carbs are not compleatly the way I want them and it just wants to run hard. Poor mpg for a bike due to the flatslides, but will perform. Pictures are from last week, looks good. No turn signal wiring on it at the time, why waste the weight"

Hmmm....

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

UserNotFound posted:

http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/mcy/1712589434.html

Ninja ZX-7 with 9R Motor, flatslides. - $2800
"Looks awsome but the carbs are not compleatly the way I want them and it just wants to run hard. Poor mpg for a bike due to the flatslides, but will perform. Pictures are from last week, looks good. No turn signal wiring on it at the time, why waste the weight"

Hmmm....

It'd probably cost you 400$ in tuning to get it running right, but that'd be a hell of a toy...

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

been borrowing a friends 80' cb750 that ive learned to ride on. i ran into a bit of coin so im looking to buy my own if i can find something decent for cheap enough.

82' CB900c. Needs rear rotor caliper, o rings, and exhaust manifold. but says its running okay now. asking price is $600, so i'd still have some money left over to take care of some of the issues. i really like the cb750 ive been riding and would be happy with something similar like this.

another is a 90' yamaha fzr600 for $1200, supposedly only needing a choke cable and a battery charge. seems like a safer bet, but maybe a bit small and underpowered for me.

thoughts?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
The CB900C was not Honda's most briliant bike. Very heavy for the class of bike, the shaft drive had the worst "shaft jacking" ever, not exactly the most nimble of machines. I can't say I've ever heard anyone go on about how much they loved their old CB900C. I think you would find it to be roaringly adequate.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Kin Corn Karn posted:

been borrowing a friends 80' cb750 that ive learned to ride on. i ran into a bit of coin so im looking to buy my own if i can find something decent for cheap enough.

82' CB900c. Needs rear rotor caliper, o rings, and exhaust manifold. but says its running okay now. asking price is $600, so i'd still have some money left over to take care of some of the issues. i really like the cb750 ive been riding and would be happy with something similar like this.

another is a 90' yamaha fzr600 for $1200, supposedly only needing a choke cable and a battery charge. seems like a safer bet, but maybe a bit small and underpowered for me.

thoughts?

You're a new rider that's learned on a 1980 CB750 and you think an FZR600 is underpowered and too small? Do you realize that displacement does not equal power? The FZR is somewhere around 90 horsepower. The CB750? Somewhere in the 70s or high 60s, and heavier to boot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331634

1500$ for a built XR250 engine shoved in a RS125 chassis. It's rough around the edges, but honestly, GP125 bike with a 250 engine in it. Holy poo poo I want it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

1500$ for a built XR250 engine shoved in a RS125 chassis. It's rough around the edges, but honestly, GP125 bike with a 250 engine in it. Holy poo poo I want it.

Why couldn't this be closer, I would love a 125/250 gp bike for a track toy. Don't think a fly and ride would be that practical in this case.

Z3n you should buy it for me and store it until I can find a way to ship it to TN, not like your going to notice another bike in the garage.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Kin Corn Karn posted:

As the owner of an FZR600

a) Its not underpowered. In fact, its probably too powerful for you unless you have a really steady throttle hand.
b) how tall are you? it is a fairly small bike if you're over 6' tall but not terribly so. I'm 6'4" and can fit fairly comfortably on mine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Eh, he used the aircooled XR motor. I'd be willing to bet the RS motor made more power and made for a better race engine.

What this guy did was take an RS125 and make it into a good street bike, which is........exactly what someone might want.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Eh, he used the aircooled XR motor. I'd be willing to bet the RS motor made more power and made for a better race engine.

What this guy did was take an RS125 and make it into a good street bike, which is........exactly what someone might want.

I could handle a little less power if it meant no more lightswitch powerband and reduced maintenance/increased reliability.

I wish I had 1500$ to throw at it, :sigh:

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Buy it for spazzz, I'm sure he will let you ride it until he can ship it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

jdonz posted:

Buy it for spazzz, I'm sure he will let you ride it until he can ship it.

If it still had the original engine I would seriously consider it. With a boring 4 stroke lump it isn't worth it unless the original engine comes with it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/1714959404.html

You'd think if you were selling such an exotic, you'd spell the name right, but drat.

quote:

Bimoto BB1 650 single SUPERMONO - $18000 (Santa Barbara)

Bimoto BB1 650 single SUPERMONO very rare museum/collector bike. Similar sold for $30,000 mine today $18,000
Chris cell 805-451-6566
chris.n.eberz@gmail.com

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Possibly a good project? I'm making an assumption that he gives you all the spare parts as well, but the work so far looks pretty good, and for $400.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1725251442.html

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Possibly a good project? I'm making an assumption that he gives you all the spare parts as well, but the work so far looks pretty good, and for $400.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1725251442.html

If you're looking for a 1000$ beater, yeah, that seems like a good start :)

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Didn't realize it was shaft drive as well. Seemed like a good idea for a minute.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Slim Pickens posted:

Didn't realize it was shaft drive as well. Seemed like a good idea for a minute.

What's wrong with shaft drive?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slim Pickens posted:

Its a Yamaha shaft drive, it'll be fine.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

Its a Yamaha shaft drive, it'll be fine.

Hey, BMW drive shafts are great, if you are willing to meticulously maintain them, and are incredibly lucky. It's not like they blow seals for no reason ...loving constantly.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I thought about it, I guess it wouldn't be too bad, just an unfounded prejudice against anything without a chain(other than a guzzi). I might go take a look at it. For some reason I see a puzzle and just wanna start putting it back together. I kinda want a cafe project, and at 95hp this doesn't seem too bad.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 6, 2010

Zygoatse
Oct 21, 2008
You would be stupid to pass up this amazing deal.. This generous seller will take payments on the bike! Only 225 a month for 24 months with 1000 down.. Do some quick math and that comes out to an APR of 70%! How awesome of him!

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/1725692860.html

2003 Suzuki SV-1000 clean and very very fast bike.....
Tires are in great condition
runs and rides excellent
not for the faint of heart this bike will scare you like fast
$3950 buys

OR $1000.00 DOWN AND $225.00 PER MONTH FOR 24 MONTHS

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Zygoatse posted:

You would be stupid to pass up this amazing deal.. This generous seller will take payments on the bike! Only 225 a month for 24 months with 1000 down.. Do some quick math and that comes out to an APR of 70%! How awesome of him!

runs and rides excellent
$3950 buys

Flagged that poo poo Best of Craigslist. =)

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
wow, only 50% financing? You'd be a fool not to jump on that.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Zygoatse posted:

runs and rides excellent
$3950 buys

Someone from out of state go give him a grand and a BS mailing address

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/1728964666.html

1988 Honda NT 650 V-twin. Custom paint/tail section, 2-into-2 exhaust, dual QH headlights. Nitrous injection. Runs, shifts, stops. Needs tires, fork seals. NOTE! Not registered. Has $350 in penalty fees to register in CA. 805/545-7618

Half :aaa:, half :what:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/1739107423.html

1993 Kawasaki Ninja Super Moto Make me an Offer - $1 (Ventura)

quote:

I got a Custom 1993 Kawasaki Ninga 250 street Legal made into a Super moto lots and lots of Money Invested into it. Over 2k In just wheels and Tires and Big break Kit, Exhaust, Headlight Motar Showa Forks, Custom rear brake light assembly, Supermoto Handel bars and Risers, Custom Merrior, Bike has fresh Engine, With about 2k on it, Custom foot pegs, Runs great has bin sitting for about a year so can use a carb cleaning. Clean Title pinkslip in hand call or text me and make me an offer. Steve 805-258-1181

:what:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/1739107423.html

1993 Kawasaki Ninja Super Moto Make me an Offer - $1 (Ventura)

:what:

Buy it!

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/1739200662.html

craigslist posted:

1995 Yamaha FZR600R - $2200 (S. Anchorage)
1995 Yamaha FZR600R
Only 16,200 miles Runs good with occasional over-heating issues. Engine was rebuilt last winter with new top-end. New plastics with new custom paint. After market KNN air intake. R1 tail conversion kit. Front Carbon fiber mirrors w/front turn signals. No joy rides.

$2,200 OBO

Man, he's really sellin it with that description.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

redscare posted:

Buy it!
Offer him a dollar!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I don't even want to think about how much he spent on that awful, awful idea :psyduck:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Looking for a GS500 or a similar good starter sportbike in the SE Mass (cape cod) area. Really anything in rhode island, Boston area's good as well. Looking in the grand 1500 range, but would love something less that needs some work as I have that capability, depending on the work.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I think anyone in the Cincinnati area would LOVE to own this cherry Honda XR400. For the sweet price of only $1900 you get a FRESH TOP END!!!11!! and the privilege to bolt down the seat and the tank! HOW COULD YOU PASS THIS UP??

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1745625683.html

I wouldn't give $800 for that turd. You can guarantee that every bearing in that bike is shot, and everything else needs a really good wash.

Edit : And on a serious note, this might actually be worth looking at if you are local.

2000 SV650 w/ 22K miles. Looks like it was maintained well, comes with quite a few extras, and the price is about normal for this area.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1745229681.html

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

For anyone looking for bikes in your area, http://www.craiglook.com works really well. You can do proximity searches from a specific zip code.

I've found a lot of cheap parts for my bike using it. If it's something small, people will usually ship it.