Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Scrapez posted:

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/1656383453.html

How cute is this little guy? I really need to stay off Craigslist.

Look for the next generation. Don't buy a RD350 that isn't YPVS and LCII. Seriously. You can get one for the price asked in that auction. There's a hell of a difference.

Also stay away from the 1982-84 Brazilian version. Other than that, RD350s are great and rock solid bikes. They're also a bit dangerous. Unless you feel comfortable riding a 750cc 4-stroke don't dream about a RD350.

I've owned a total of five RD and TZ350s from all generations. They're great bikes and real easy and inexpensive to maintain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Gnaghi posted:

Oh god it's back...with a new low price! Leave me alone!

You know you can get a 10 year younger RD350 LCII YPVS with a stiffer frame, water cooled, power valves (adjusting exhaust valve), 60Hp instead of 38Hp, less weight, double dish front and one at the rear instead of that silly drum, monoshock swingarm and aluminum wheels, real bronze swingarm bushings, conical fork bearings, push back gear mechanism, alu everywhere, air supported fork and all that poo poo - for the price asked for this?

Also spare parts will be a fraction of the price of spares for this.

Yes, I own both (as well as an RD500 YPVS and a heavily tuned GT750 - I admit, I'm a two smoker and a six roller)

Look for an '82-'84 YPVS instead.

Edit: There's a Brazillian (48 Hp if I remember correctly) version of the '83-84 ('82?)YPVS 350 you should avoid too. It's 3/4 fairing and marked RD350R with a large "R" on the snow plow. They will always be red and white.

Anyway. For two strokes feel free to ask. An air cooled RD350 at that price is just not worth it unless you run a museum.

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 15, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Phat_Albert posted:

No, you cant get all that, at that price, not in the US at least. The LC RD350's are rare as hell here, and will go for waaaaaay more than $1400 when you do find one. I sold a non-original RD350 with a rattle can paint job and no rear brake for $1200 last summer.

An AC RD350 in good shape in the US for $1400 is a good deal.

Holy gently caress. Please let me export a shitload of ACs then - and LCIIs. Guess you all smashed your LC YPVSs then. We did that in Europe too, but we learned. The YPVS, small as it seems, is a grown mans bike. We have loads of them here. Almost 90% of experienced riders in EU will survive their first meet with a (non TZ) RD350. 30% will get scared, and those bikes are for sale cheaply.

The TZ350 however...

Also, I live in northern Europe. We have a tax of 200% (yes, really!) on anything automotive. That keeps up sales prices for vintage bikes too. But $1400 for an AC 350 would be kind of ridiculous even here.

(I can get the tax back of the estimated value, if I export, though)

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 15, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

They are hilariously awesome, just..yeah, not beginner bikes. At all.

Stop ruining things. You're not a nice guy at all.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Slim Pickens posted:

Viragos are only cool if you do this to them anyways.

Seems like a popular mod.

Is it a kit or something?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Scrapez posted:

http://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/1871100361.html

Tempted to buy this thing. Ad seems pretty fishy but who knows. A shop put it on the dyno but it doesn't run? Huh?

I've been wanting to do a metric bobber. Might have to go look at it and offer him 250 bucks for it.

Edit: Doesn't say it has a title so that's probably the catch.

Best of luck. CB750 K series are generally not easy to kill. The molested example you found, however probably has a broken cam chain.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

Agreed, gotta wonder if that's on a dynojet..."Corrected to crank HP"...:rolleyes:

More like 120-130 optimistic crank HP. Still insane for a dirt bike though.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Scrapez posted:

I would buy that in a god drat minute.

Then I hope you don't mind if I call you loving insane. Where I live a 1972 JAWA is around $150 not $1,500 and, just in case you didn't know, bikes where I live are 300% more expensive compared to where you live due to taxes.

This is not only one of the worst bikes of the '70s (only rivaled by the MZ 259), it's probably one of the most lovely bikes ever made in history. Todays lovely Chinese crap is miles ahead of '70s Eastern Block QA for low-end export bikes.

But hell, don't mind that parts are unavailable - every single part you'll have to manufacture in your garage using only a dremel, a chisel and a hammer will be way better than the original part.

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Aug 26, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Scrapez posted:

Really, though, I find it hard to believe you can buy that bike for $150. You can't here in the states. The only similar one I could find is this ebay auction. Granted it didn't sell but the guy was asking $2100:

Europe was flooded with cheap East Block bikes during the '70s and '80s. That might explain it. They're pretty unsellable today, even to collectors - mostly because nobody is insane enough to collect them.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

infraboy posted:

Oh my

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1921406423.html

Cheapest 08 CBR1000 i've seen, seems kind of odd with an engine replacement but if he's got proof that it'd been done i'd totally buy this if I thought I could handle a literbike right now.

It's likely not totally bullshit, however there never was a "factory recall" for the clutch, only a "service upgrade campaign". The dude could have ignored that and eventually damaged his crankshaft. Honda might have replaced his engine pr kulance, but it seems a bit unlikely.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Bruinator posted:

Do your research, the CBR boards are full of info on this.

Easy now ;) Yes, it seems like you're right. Sorry about my lack of research, won't happen again. I just remembered the "service upgrade campaign" for the clutch.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

Those motors respond really well to boost.

Just sayin'.

And CH3NO2.

Just prayin'.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Radbot posted:

edit: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1962200317.html Hmmm... what exactly is a "blow back" problem anyways?

Most likely just the combination of lean mixture and being too retarded to clean carburetors ;)

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Scrapez posted:

Went for $23k. That's amazing.

That's loving insane. You can buy one in Europe for a third of that price (mine). Don't do it though - you'll regret for a lifetime and then some more. Worst best MC ever. If you're challenged to understand the concept of "mixed feelings", the CBX1000 is the right bike to teach you.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

From how you describe it, I imagine that I could recreate the ownership experience of a CBX by looping that video of one doing a flyby over and over while reaching into a vat of rusty, sharp motorcycle components with a blindfold on.

That's actually really close. Just think about grabbing a real good pair of tits and smell the acid burn. Yeah, the weird acid burn smell originates from your hands -or what were your hands.

I've only lost about 5 metric liters of blood, bodily fluids and skin to my CBX so far, but I've heard and read testaments from people far worse off.

To give perspective to the above, I'll like to add that race tuning my GT750 was a laugh compared to just maintaining the CBX. Both makes me really appreciate my RD YPVSs.

poo poo aside. I have an evil plan with the CBX. Just handing it down seems alright to me. My youngest son kind of deserves it for all those late night diaper shifts.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot
Way too high priced. Also it's the mono-shock "Pro Link" version with really lovely rear end handling included. It also has 12Hp less than the original dual shock CBX.

Also, there shouldn't be anything black on the engine. No CBX was born with black cylinders and a black center block.

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 26, 2010

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Raven457 posted:

A sweatshirt on a chick is one thing, a dude on a bike with a leather vest and that stuff on it, laid out like it was a real MC vest, is another.

Come on man, stop being so 99%'er. I'd recommend that poo poo for the moped army.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

needknees posted:

"Needs work" is code for "replace everything".

Figure the following:

engine rebuild (top end only if you're lucky, full if you're not)
carb cleaned
fork seals are probably poo poo
poo poo fork seals probably leaked oil all over the brake pads
new brake pads
shock has probably never been serviced
potentially seized chain tensioner bolts
air filter
tires might be shot
tons of other poo poo that'll nickel and dime you to death

But dirtbikes are a loving riot :). If it's not THAT bad a 2t rebuild isn't the end of the world by any means. 400 bucks if it's got a title is a reasonable deal even if all of the above needs done.

It's a really easy bike to work with though. He should go for it, and you should work on anger management, and try to not scare people right off ;-)

Go for it. We're here to help you.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

SuperSlant6 posted:

I want to go for it, but the guy has not responded to my emails. I have mechanical experience, just not with higher strung two strokes. So labor does not scare me, just the cost of parts, or machining.

Two strokes are not magic. Carburetors aren't magic. Magic is that this forum will probably hunt me down and try to kill me for those statements. Parts are rather cheap, just buy it!

I'll help you out, if I survive this.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Pvt. Public posted:

Hmm, I think I am going to go look at this tonight:

http://chambana.craigslist.org/mcy/1990979655.html

Might be fun to kick around for a bit just for the hell of it. It'll help me survive the next couple weeks before my Phantom gets back from the shop.

Happy valve, camshaft, camchain and clutch problems. The engine design doesn't exactly over-lubricate the valve train. VF500s aren't exactly known for reliability, but to be fair, the Interceptor is the best VF.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Lord Master posted:

Ungnghh.. I have the money for it, but no endorsement. Please tell me I'd be dumb to jump on this.

80's XT500 are great, durable and fun bikes. You should definitely buy it.

If you end up buying it, also budget for suspension- and brake-upgrades and a 34mm Mikuni flatslide carburetor.

Whatever you plan, please budget for at least a brake upgrade. Stock brakes are poo poo on that bike.

Also you should get new tires immediately. No matter how good they might look, they will not be rideable after all those years in storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

BlueBayou posted:

Bikes are awesome, but I know so little about them.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/2031404747.html

In that case don't buy this bike. You'll wrench it more than drive it for a couple of years.