Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I need a sanity check because for 3 nights in a row now I've looked at this thing, decided to let it go, and find myself not letting it go.

Pro:
-S.O. has been enjoying riding pillion, but a 200cc vanvan is very much not up to the task between brakes and suspension. This opens up some nice weekend options.
-The price is exactly where I need it to be for a 2nd bike I do not need
-The ad passes the sniff test of a responsible owner who maybe doesn't know the post-covid market (though I guess it's lasted a few days now)
-In addition to being a capable tourer I suspect this would also be the sportiest thing I ever owned by a longshot (vs. a '98 Suzuki GS500e with progressive springs :imunfunny:)
-I think maybe I could ride this, experience another bike and sell it later without significant loss.

Con:
-It's doomed to occasional weekend use, my commute is like 5 miles which is squarely in the vanvan's wheelhouse
-I have no garage, so my capacity for any involved mechanical work is limited.
-My mechanical experience is limited to two air-cooled and simple bikes
-It's 20 years old and from what I gather fully-faired tourers are a pain in the rear end to work on in general

Someone please help me let it go

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

God dammit, true to craigslist form, I got myself excited, texted this morning with offer to check it out cash in hand and asked if any mechanical issues to be aware of, and got this:

PO posted:

Hi Remy. Unfortunately a mechanical issue has just developed. Someone took it for a test ride and came back with leaking front brake caliper. Probably because not being ridden. SB Motors quoted $500 for repair. I will discount $800 as is.

Leaking calipers doesn't seem like a disuse problem so much as an "old parts giving out" problem, right? On the one hand it's dirt cheap at this point, on the other I'm a concerned by this dad's failure to actually ride the bike and check it out before selling and his taste in mechanics to do service. I might be able to let it go.

But like $2k

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

All my wrenching is in the street so some items might require shop visits (fork oil, and I'm not sure about full brake fluid replacement yet I've only ever bled them to cycle out the old stuff). What's the deal with valve adjustments, like if they're due/overdue what am I looking at? I did shim-type adjustment years ago on the gs500 and all I remember is it was a hassle, and I think that might've been easy mode.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 11, 2022

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Thanks for all the info. I've set up a time to check it out tomorrow and will research as much as I can tonight. The thought of this as a project is increasingly appealing, but I can't tell how much of that is the idea of getting something awesome on the cheap. Property management already warned me once for using my carport for repairs, but I'm thinking in the street I can probably stuff the bodywork into my car as needed.

e;vvvvv That's on me, I signed a lease that was explicit about it, I think it might be pretty standard for big apartment complexes. What sucks is I got away with it for years but my daughter was playing music ONCE while I was changing her brakes and the office manager drove by. One warning on record, so now if they catch me again I'm the rear end in a top hat.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 12, 2022

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Wikipedia suggests the blue ones are the non-ABS. According to that, what this guy's calling a 2002 is actually a 2003 model year and won't have ABS.

I shouldn't have read that article now I just want to limp it home and figure out if I'm in over my head with it later.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

If any central coast goons want a crack at it, have at it- it's a hard pass for me, will elaborate in a minute.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

The good:
-Engine sounds good, feels good, clutch shifts good, the larger motorcycle bug is now firmly planted in my brain, oh my god the way it pulls.

The bad:
-Our dad forecast was way off, this bike has absolutely been under bad management for 30k miles. I asked when the valves had been last checked, he cheerfully told me he'd had it for 30k miles and hadn't had anything done but replacing the starter and the ignition. I can't imagine that includes oil changes but I can't say for sure after talking to the guy. The sidestand was so rusted as to be a challenge, he's has been commuting 2 hours a day on it for years and couldn't be arsed to put some grease on a sidestand. He didn't know how the back luggage keying worked, or that he had more keys for it that might fit.

-It was 40 miles past reserve on the tank, so about to run dry. He also couldn't get his gas can to work right and almost poured it through his oil funnel as a workaround before I asked if it was clean (I had looked, it was not). Second gas can to the rescue.

-When I let go: I think something's hosed up with the steering that I'm at a loss to describe here. Side-to-side travel was rough and concerning at a standstill. In motion, it was really hard to hold even a low speed turn, and not in an uncle's cruiser kind of way, more like stuttering amounts of feedback against my bar presses and trying to stand itself up way more forcefully than it should. I'm talking gentle neighborhood speed turns here.

-He's been replacing the tires one at a time.

-That previous buyer that test rode and came back with leaking front caliper? He'd come from out of town with a trailer, and left empty handed, and I'm sure this guy offered it to him for a song and dance. That rider's report was that "something was wrong" with the steering too, which the seller concluded was related to the leaking front caliper. When I arrived now, he still didn't know if the front brake was usable (it was). Only after my rejection did he think maybe he should actually go for a ride and see what's wrong with his bike (or he knows full well what's wrong and is a Bad Faith Dad.)

Funny thing on the way out- I'd taken the VanVan there and parked it in front of a neighbor's across the street. That neighbor came out to chat about the Vanvan and shoot the poo poo for a minute, this guy had a hayabusa and a couple of dirt bikes. When I told him why I was there, he said "Oh, you were looking at..." and got this grin on his face.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Slavvy posted:

That is still a good deal, just not for you.

The owner is a fuckwit definitely.
Yeah no regrets walking away, but with a garage I could've probably just used the steering thing to get him a little lower and then had months of learning experiences ahead. I'd practically pay $1k just for the experience of dissecting it.

For me at around 6 hours into any work, 4 if it's going badly, fatigue sets in and I start making stupid mistakes and forgetting things. In a garage this would just mean putting it down for the day. In the street I need to pack up all my tools, have the bike be sufficiently assembled to roll back to the carport, or at least cover it and get all the loose parts off the street. Sometimes I push that fatigue line to get something done and by the end I'm cutting any corner I can, very not-zen.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1035248693692109
I'm thinking real hard about making an 8-hour round trip this weekend to see (hah) this ZRX1200R, the price is on my high side, but I like both the lack of aftermarket tinkering and the upgrades it has. It's an ugly drive done with any efficiency, takes a couple hotel nights to make it leisurely, and I so I feel like I'd need to pretty much decide in advance to buy (barring any undisclosed concerns), use good words to convince the seller of that and ideally get a commitment from him to hold it.

Anything special I should be aware of when it comes to 20 year old bikes with extremely low mileage that appear to have been immaculately stored in the desert?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Anyone viewing that FJR I looked at before is going to have an immediate sinking feeling going from the clean bike pictured to what is currently being shown: deep corrosion all over on the metal which happens on anything stored outside by the coast. The top case in a pile by the garage followed by "it doesn't stay on". The guy didn't even bother to run a rag over the bike before I showed up, it was dirty, cobwebbed, and sitting with an empty tank (I did not look inside, I should have remembered to).

I'm getting slight cold feet at the idea of a 20yo bike and the ZRX seller above is resisting my attempts to get the bike's actual specific history. I'm not ruling out the ZRX, the more I read about it the more I want one, but I'm gonna stick closer to my $5k price point and wait for something close enough to sit on, get a gut check when I show up, and not feel like I'll be blowing a whole weekend if I'm even slightly inclined to walk away empty handed.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 24, 2022

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I'm psyched- tomorrow I'm going to test ride and maybe buy this '20 Bonnie T120. It's listed on cycletrader at $10k, which seems like a fair price if it's really clean. The guy bought an extended warranty he says can be transferred for $75, but I don't think I'll bite on that.
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2020-Triumph-BONNEVILLE+T120-5019704290

From the things I've read and watched it sounds like it could be really fun for most of the weekend jaunts I have in mind, minus the narrower roads and switchbacks, and have that little extra...grunt? I think I'm after.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Oh I'm gonna make it ugly, 'cause those bags will get in the way of the missus and that rack has to be traded for one that works with my top case.

e; Not sure about a windshield I can't see over though.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 12, 2022

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

Buy it and get the $75 extended warranty, it'll pay for itself.

For real or sarcasm? I've always taken dealer extended warranties for hard-to-use ways to bet against the likelihood that your new vehicle acts new. This is some "RPM Plus" Platinum business I haven't had a chance to read yet, but it covers it through 2025. If they give people grief over DIY oil changes or are a pain for small mechanic shops to use, I might have a hard time if I need to make a claim.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 12, 2022

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Yeah I decided it'd be a dumb thing to cheap out on, though it looks like the paperwork will be a bit of hassle.

And I bought it! I love it. I'm sure I'll effortpost about it in the bike rec thread but not tonight.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

PO turned out to be a nice retired guy with a handful of bikes, the T120 was just too tall for him; he must've had a 28" inseam or less as it fits me great at 29". He'd bought some shorter rear shocks with the intention of modifying it to suit him, but then thought better of it and decided to sell it. He'd already raised the bars a bit for a more upright position (I like it but don't have a comparison), He gave me the shocks, as well as an OEM Triumph windscreen in a box. He preferred the taller aftermarket windscreen you see installed and seemed almost confused that I might want a shorter screen. One of these weekends I'll test them back to back to decide which to keep, I can actually see over this one fine but it gets a little wiggly in the wind at highway speeds.

Below is getting the windscreen home from my buddy's house (we trucked it back from L.A.).

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Empty post

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Nitrox posted:

I might be interested in those bags, let me know if you're getting rid of em.

Heh, already got rid of the right-hand one and $200 worth of contents (by failing to buckle it and taking a nice long ride after which it was nowhere to be found).

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Goonbike found?

quote:

2006 Harley Davidson for sale. Show winner big, custom airbrush work thru out in "Dragon Slayer" theme. Custom everything, diamond cut rims, customer saddlebags with pistol holster, custom fenders, too many chrome parts to list, 3 custom seats, sissy bar has removable Gladiator sword, runs great, real head turner! $40k invested, asking $13,500. Call Eric at
https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/d/santa-barbara-custom-harley-davidson/7462042634.html

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Still room for a top box there.

I have found it, the douchiest ad ever:
https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/d/carpinteria-the-history-of-this-bike-is/7484892009.html

quote:

The history of this bike is not a “generic blue book”. - $3,000
For years I have ridden through unique and dangerous landscapes. Now I am letting go. A warhorse not suited for where I am relocating. Honor, respect, and protection are required for this bike, it's a survivor. Not a blue-book generic motorcycle.

Here are the upgrades:
A rear Progressive Suspension system (amazingly comfortable). New battery with pigtails (USB adaptor for cell phone charging). Upgraded EMU (programmable with CD).

Less than two years ago:
Installed a new chain and sprocket kit (with a slight change in ratio for improved torque). Recently upholstered original seat with custom leather side bags. Synthetic oil change with a K&N oil filter, new spark plugs, front and rear tires, and brake pads.

Includes:
A new set of carburetor rebuild kits (uninstalled), an owner’s manual, and an extra set of keys.

The bike needs to be trailed out (cannot be ridden out) because the carburetors (kit included) need to be cleaned.

I will include a brand new motorcycle ramp because of its current condition.

Serious inquiries only.

I will receive offers until 5 pm Wednesday night (5/18) & I will get back to you on Thursday.

Thank You.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I actually hit 70mph on the VanVan speedo yesterday on level ground while crouched down with an almost empty gas tank. Would a longer swingarm help me break the 72mph barrier and get the chicken home faster?

e; okay I googled the longer swingarm thing, can a stock Vitpilen 401 do a power wheelie?

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 26, 2022

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

This bike has mange.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Kelley Blue Book must do a motorcycle valuation update in June or something, and my bikes appreciated. We should all have been buying as many motorcycles as possible as inflation hedges.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Maybe it's only still there cause it's listed in the parts section

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

This Grom has been popping up on craigslist on and off since late last winter and I can no longer keep it to myself. I'm pretty sure they've come down from around $4k initially.

The classy part is they've kept the delivery fee, when anyone that needs delivery within 10 miles is going to be a brand spanking new rider who is doing you a favor taking your trashed bike off your hands you loving dick

quote:

ONE OF A KIND "GROMSHELL" - START YOUR OWN GANG OF LIL' BANGERS

2015 Grom in good running order. Low miles. 100% stock drivetrain. Only upgrades are cosmetic: custom paint and decals, mirrors, adjustable-reach levers, and lithium-ion battery.

Has a salvage title because it got stolen and NOT because it had significant mechanical damage! It was recovered and is now registered, insured, and plated, so you can take it for a test ride. Title in hand.

My girl friend used to ride it, but she took a spill and is "done."
When it went down, the R mirror broke, the brake lever got scuffed, the muffler cover broke, a blinker got broken off, and the fender got scuffed. See pictures.

I can deliver it to you, after you see it in-person at my place, for $50 within first 10mi of 93109 plus $3/mi beyond that.
https://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/d/santa-barbara-gromshell-2015-honda-grom/7519046778.html

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Imagine eating a $10,000 loss for something you gassed up 2-3 times, and not being horrendously embarrassed about it.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Seller paid someone else to do it, the joker's cringe is the artist's self-insert.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

He died as he lived, wondering if the next owner would drop his bike in the same spot and thus dislodge the JB weld plug he put in the crankcase

I'm making this up I'm still trying to figure out if the listings were from the same person

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Ok that's what I thought was happening but I mistook the first for a private party post. Am I crazy or was it already rashed where he would later put a hole in the crankcase?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

It was all terribly obvious in hindsight.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Did that price go up? I can no longer tell what is normal in our hell timeline with inflation on the side, but I feel like a superchicken being passed around at this point should just eat -$500 per owner.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Two owners and it hasn't cracked 3k miles, clearly it's haunted. Check under the seat for blood.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

All that, and then that sad little tail bag.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

See Bee Ar One Kay Double-Ar and then you fart if you're able, if not then you need to pause before vocalizing that last "R" (try to store them up to save time).

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

That motorcycle is literally unusable right? No weight on it yet and the exhaust is touching the ground, like what the hell

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I have two theories for how they got to that gas station, either they unloaded it from a trailer, or they reached it gradually in a long series of counter-clockwise spirals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I'm the pommel, every time you brake