Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

AKA This poo poo is stolen, dont ask any questions.

Well, he could be referring to "no paperwork on the repo", because the "clean title" seems to indicate that he's got some form of title on hand. I'd at least go look at it if I were looking for a trackbike.

I'm totally gonna get up on this once I find some decent deals in the area...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

Turning is for sissies that don't have turbos.

Don't even try and front that you wouldn't want to ride the jesus out of that if I bought it. Of course, I'd have to cut down the auxiliary sidestand and the filter, but even still, 260 loving HP. Those bikes are monsters already, I can't imagine what they're like with another 100hp.

In a super ideal world, I'd run the exhaust back to a GP cut style exhaust and somehow stealth the turbo a little more. And remove that lame turbo decal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BARF is a great resource for cheap and occasionally oddball bikes...

Like this Aprilia RS50 for 1400$:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321766

quote:

This is a street legal Aprilia RS50 with 2124 miles on it. It was a customers of ours that sat in his garage for a few years. We got it running and it runs well. We traded for some work on one of his bikes and now need to sell it Cosmetically it is pretty decent but not perfect with some rash on the right side fairing from a low side. If your looking for some cheap tranportation and want something that looks cooler than a scooter, this is it.

$1400 or best offer.
Call Greg at 209-607-0440

Click here for the full 900x675 image.

gently caress yeah.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

drat, if I thought it'd stay anywhere under 6k I'd be tempted to buy that, sell the plastics, and race it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Radbot posted:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/1562958231.html

Is this a good deal on a 2005 V-Strom 650 with 24k miles? It's a bit beat up but the price seems OK, maybe..? It's $2995 but the front fairings are missing due to a low speed drop.

I'd try and talk him down a bit more in person, but it seems rare that the 'Stroms drop much below 3k in CA.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/1569817545.html

quote:

91 cr 500 in pieces - $700 (Jardine)
Date: 2010-01-25, 10:16AM PST
Reply to: sale-pgdkz-1569817545@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Have 91 cr 500 in pieces. took apart to rebuild and lost interest 95 percent of it is there in a box... incl motor forks frame.. everything . need it outta my garage... great project...needs a couple seals redone on motor. 805 712 5740

How much do I want to meet the sausage creature? Not that much...

Or you could just buy a running one for 200$ more. :downs:

http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/1569813589.html

quote:

89 - CR 500 - $900 (JARDINE)
Date: 2010-01-25, 10:16AM PST
Reply to: sale-vgtcy-1569813589@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

New motor 2 hrs on new piston maybe... new fornt fork springs, no time to ride..... Fast and fun.....805 712 5740

Also have a 90 cr 500 motor if someones looking for a kart motor... also have rest of bike but in pieces.

Kinda tempting to go up and offer him 1200$ for the lot, but I don't know how to ride offroad and I'd probably die.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PlasticSun posted:

This ad should read:

Spent 20K on the Ultimate off road machine, went down a fire road and wet myself. $17,500 urine stain included.

Reminds me of the Desmosedici for sale with 14 miles on it. You know he limped it 6.5 miles to get it warmed up, opened it up, left a half mile long trail of poo poo, and then carefully rode it home. The difference is he was only asking 50k for a 90k bike. :xd:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Check out the KLX...the KLRs lighter, more powerful, bastard brother.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That duc...:circlefap: I've always loved those bikes. Seems like they all leak from the tanks though, what's up with that?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

If you really like those bikes there is a red one sitting in the bedroom at the end of the hall we have been trying to sell for months.

Too bad it's halfway across the nation :( Details though?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Radbot posted:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1592944058.html

Wrecked '02 V-Strom DL1000 for $1000 OBO. Apparently the engine fires up and is theoretically ridable, but what a great parts bike. The big-rear end $300 Happy Trails top box is included along with newer Metzeler tires (Tourance, probably?) and a clutch I could swap out when mine needs work. I'm so tempted to talk him down to $700 or so.

I would buy the hell out of that. Check the status of the title, but still, drat.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I like the way his only runs on 2 cylinders until the vtechs kicks in. And the fact that it apparently doesn't require maintenance because it's a honda.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

What I love about motorcycles:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324531

5 year old AMA race bike, trashed and could probably be had for a very reasonable price. Sure, it's toast, but if you were willing to rebuild it it'd go like stink...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'm trying to get rid of the streetbikes, not invite more into my garage :(

Still, a good deal on a nice bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I think that's because the kawasakis will run forever and you can replace the clutch for like 80 bucks, but the BMW's clutch is 700 or something not counting labor?

this is just want the cop who gave me lessons on KZ1000s was telling me. The new bmws are expensive as poo poo, and need maintenance more often because they have a car-style clutch that wears out from slipping, and the KZs have something like 7 plates swimming in oil.

he seemed pretty unimpressed.

and he was hungarian, so I don't think he had inborn distrust of furners.

BMW clutch job means essentially splitting the bike in half, and they do use a single plate dry clutch rather than your more typical wet, multiplate clutch. Dry clutches will wear faster and do have less resistance to glazing than wet clutches, but it's not like it's going to instantly explode if you slip it too much.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 19, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

ok first off
NYAH!

and second off, I think the idea is, it's had alot of use, so, if the clutch hasn't been replaced lately, it might need to sooner than later, and that's an expense to think about.

I don't know about maintaining the rest of the bike, but I think the guy's emphasis on it was because he spent alot of his time replacing clutches on the KZs he was using as learner bikes, which makes sense.

It's just my thought, because I was thinking about getting a KZ1000 at first (hunting them down became a pain, so I stopped bothering), and I was assured that, well used or not, they're easy to maintain and last forever, and in contrast the BMWs were expensive and difficult.

Well, the other thing about police bikes is that they spend an absurd amount of time burning the clutch at low speed in their practice maneuver stuff. So I can understand why a cop would say that the clutches are weak as they spend a lot of time abusing them, without much chance to let them cool off.

But he's sort of right and wrong at the same time about the BMW...some things are really difficult to do (clutch) and some things are really easy to do (valves).

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/1606136715.html
http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319324
2001 Aprilia RSVR Mille with a salvage title for $1900 (on BARF)

Someone talk me out of buying this thing. I'm seriously considering picking it up and putting a grand into it to street fighter it out.

I'm in the bay today to buy another bike and I'm strongly, STRONGLY tempted to go pick that up. But the last thing I need is another streetbike project, :sigh:

You should go buy it. A little quality time and a 500$ ebay fairing kit and you could have a very kickass bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The Ape's gone, how much was he asking?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

$8900, little steep, but thats a sweet bike with a title.

Yeah, you can expect a title to add at least 25% to the value of a bike. If it's exotic, make that double, if it's a 2 stroke, triple. Which makes the price of around 3000$ (adjusted) pretty reasonable. :v:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oh god, I want that. I'm torn between upgrading the hell out of the DRZ and buying a race sumo. :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MotoMind posted:

Never farkle when you can buy. You'll never get your investment back.

Yeah, I know...but I need a streetbike as well. And the DRZ would make a good streetbike with 17s...who knows, :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/1691899516.html

Probably the most :downs: ad I've ever seen.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Wow. I mean...goddamn, how did he pay interest only and yet still let it get up to 12000$? Jesus.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Poor negotiation + dealer fees + taxes + service plan = $12k principal

Still, 2.5k over MSRP. Goddamn.

I could give him a tattoo of our lord and savior!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Weinertron posted:

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1695532178.html

I'm guessing this would be the worst starter bike known to mankind. Would be so much more exiting than an SV650 or EX500. (I'm not actually considering buying it, turbo bikes are just so :rock:).

They are hilariously awesome, just..yeah, not beginner bikes. At all.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

UserNotFound posted:

http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/mcy/1712589434.html

Ninja ZX-7 with 9R Motor, flatslides. - $2800
"Looks awsome but the carbs are not compleatly the way I want them and it just wants to run hard. Poor mpg for a bike due to the flatslides, but will perform. Pictures are from last week, looks good. No turn signal wiring on it at the time, why waste the weight"

Hmmm....

It'd probably cost you 400$ in tuning to get it running right, but that'd be a hell of a toy...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331634

1500$ for a built XR250 engine shoved in a RS125 chassis. It's rough around the edges, but honestly, GP125 bike with a 250 engine in it. Holy poo poo I want it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Eh, he used the aircooled XR motor. I'd be willing to bet the RS motor made more power and made for a better race engine.

What this guy did was take an RS125 and make it into a good street bike, which is........exactly what someone might want.

I could handle a little less power if it meant no more lightswitch powerband and reduced maintenance/increased reliability.

I wish I had 1500$ to throw at it, :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/1714959404.html

You'd think if you were selling such an exotic, you'd spell the name right, but drat.

quote:

Bimoto BB1 650 single SUPERMONO - $18000 (Santa Barbara)

Bimoto BB1 650 single SUPERMONO very rare museum/collector bike. Similar sold for $30,000 mine today $18,000
Chris cell 805-451-6566
chris.n.eberz@gmail.com

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Possibly a good project? I'm making an assumption that he gives you all the spare parts as well, but the work so far looks pretty good, and for $400.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1725251442.html

If you're looking for a 1000$ beater, yeah, that seems like a good start :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/1728964666.html

1988 Honda NT 650 V-twin. Custom paint/tail section, 2-into-2 exhaust, dual QH headlights. Nitrous injection. Runs, shifts, stops. Needs tires, fork seals. NOTE! Not registered. Has $350 in penalty fees to register in CA. 805/545-7618

Half :aaa:, half :what:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/1739107423.html

1993 Kawasaki Ninja Super Moto Make me an Offer - $1 (Ventura)

quote:

I got a Custom 1993 Kawasaki Ninga 250 street Legal made into a Super moto lots and lots of Money Invested into it. Over 2k In just wheels and Tires and Big break Kit, Exhaust, Headlight Motar Showa Forks, Custom rear brake light assembly, Supermoto Handel bars and Risers, Custom Merrior, Bike has fresh Engine, With about 2k on it, Custom foot pegs, Runs great has bin sitting for about a year so can use a carb cleaning. Clean Title pinkslip in hand call or text me and make me an offer. Steve 805-258-1181

:what:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Is...is it a hardtail? Because I would NOT want to ride a motorcycle with 150+hp and no rear suspension.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

What color purse are you getting, Mary?

What color is your 250 again? I think it'd make a decent purse...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

frozenphil posted:

Candy Thunder Blue. :clint:
A Ninja 250 would make a pretty good purse. What would 2nd and 3rd place get?

It's got candy in it, I'll take it! :neckbeard:

You should go ride a busa though. You'll understand then. It'd be badass, but at the same time, given how squirrely normal choppers are, I can't imagine how that thing's gonna handle with no rear suspension.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That looks like a good deal, I'd jump on it, sometimes they just come up and you get lucky. I'd move though, deals like that usually don't last.

I'd check the usual stuff, tires for wear and age, the sprockets for hooking, the chain should have even tension when you check it's slack in different points, check the brake pads, ask when the valves were adjusted last and when the oil was changed last. Check that the brake fluid in the reservoir is light and clear, if it's not, it needs to be replaced.

That should cover most of the basics. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

fudsaf posted:

Thanks a ton, Z3n. It's always a little unnerving buying your first _____. But seeing how this is about half the price as my maximum, even if there are a few minor problems, it might still be a better deal. I'm pretty excited, hopefully the bike is still for sale. :)

Good luck! Post up if you get it or, if you don't...there's always more deals if you don't manage to land this one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd pass on the gear unless it fits you perfectly, but the bike on it's own for 1150$ isn't a bad deal if the bike is in good shape.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dr.gigolo posted:

The word invested doesn't come to mind, this guy probably scared himself shitless and let this bike sit for the last two years.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1758858622.html

I remember an ad that was posted about 3-4 weeks after they came out on ebay...a desmo with 14.5 miles on it. Probably had 6.75 very sedate miles on it, one mile of abject terror, and then 6.75 more sedate miles home. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Man trials bikes come up so rarely around here...if you're near SB we should meet up and go for a ride sometime. :)